Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1990 Donruss Aqueous

Comments

• tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I am sick sometimes when I don't pull the trigger on stuff I know/knew I should have! The Cooperstown Dufex Promo being one.
    I am still sick about it and it was 3 years ago. >>

I have still never found a Ripken for one of those, I don't think I could afford it right now though if one did come up!
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Great Thread, Very informative.

This questions might be for Bob, But does anyone know if Paul O'Neill has a Donruss Aqueous card? Thanks in advance,
  • AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    Yes, Paul O'Neill #198 is listed on the Donruss Aqueous checklist in the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards.
    Thanks very much.
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>WOW! Look at what this auction ended at!

1990 Donruss Aqueous Test Will Clark >>

If I paid that for a Nolan Ryan I'd be the happiest man in all the universes discovered or yet to be discovered.

I'd GLADLY pay MANY times that for a Ryan...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    imageimage

This will be going off to SGC for authentication next week.

I also added some more rare 1990s cards to my collection:

imageimage

It's been a very expensive couple of weeks...
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drew...

Congrats on your pick up...image

I'm glad you found a Clark Aqueous Test...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations, those are outstanding! I love the rare 80's and 90's stuff.

Abe
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Anyone here win the 10 card Aqueous lot or the Blue/White lot that ended recently?

I was runner up on both lots. The winner was f**f I was beaten by a ff. fitting. lol
    imageimageimage
    One more update...

I thought I asked SGC to grade the card, as well as authenticate it, but I'm just fine with this, as well.

I'll probably post this one to a couple of threads, so please indulge me...

<< <i>One more update...

I thought I asked SGC to grade the card, as well as authenticate it, but I'm just fine with this, as well.

I'll probably post this one to a couple of threads, so please indulge me... >>

Worth posting to a few threads! Sweet card and looks awesome in the SGC holder. I'm going to have to send them my Ripken Donruss Blue/White test!
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad it came back authentic, Drew. As much as you ended up paying for it, coming back fake would have really stunk.

<< <i>I'm glad it came back authentic, Drew. As much as you ended up paying for it, coming back fake would have really stunk. >>

That's for sure! I have decent knowledge of this particular card's history (I feel weird using the word "provenance" to discuss a baseball card less than 20 years old, I'm going with "history"), so I wasn't really that concerned about its authenticity. Still, it seemed like a good idea to get it formally reviewed and slabbed. It looks really nice in the SGC slab, too.
  • Great card!

I just noticed that the Howard Johnson was included in the lot that just closed for $50+. I'd love to get a copy.
    My Error & Variation Blog

Collecting Robin Ventura and Matt Luke.
  • Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drew, that looks great in the holder. Congratulations again, I got the Gary Carter a year or more ago. When it popped up on ebay I was so excited that it seemed like much longer than 7 days for the auction to run its course.
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
    Jackson - welcome to the boards. I'm finally getting around to cataloguing and scanning those '95 Stadium Club Butlers you sent some time back. Thanks again for those.

• Thanks! No problem.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. There are a ton of color variations for those 95 stadium club foil subsets.

I was reading through the old variation/error thread from the old Buckett board. I think you mentioned there were four different '95 TSC logo colors, right? I've got three gold/yellow, three red and two blue. I'm assuming the fourth color is green?
  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Drew,

I'm glad it was authentic, but why in the world wouldn't SGC give it a grade? You might want to call/write them and ask. They've certainly graded them in the past.

Puzzling.

Bob
    I'm looking for a strong Paul O'Neill #198 in this set if anyone happens to stumble across one. Thanks in advance
  • Pics for future reference-

A recent Aqueous lot sold for $54

imageimage

A recent Blue/White lot sold for $43

imageimage
    imageimageimage
    I missed that lot (not that I was looking for it). I'm surprised the scans were so small, though, as I'd like to see a nice scan of the backs.
  • Anyone on these boards win that Aqueous lot?

• << <i>Anyone on these boards win that Aqueous lot? >>

Unsure. I asked as well. The ebay member who won it is coastalflood.

imageimageimage
  • From SGC on 7/2......

"The Aqueous cards only qualify for Authentic at this time, and for the Blue/White test cards, the graders would need to have them in hand prior to making a decision as to whether or not we will grade them."

<< <i>One more update...

I'll probably post this one to a couple of threads, so please indulge me... >>

imageimageimage
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I was just underbidder on a Maddux that went for less than $75.00. I wish I could have pushed a little harder, but whomever won the auction got a great deal.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com

<< <i>I was just underbidder on a Maddux that went for less than $75.00. I wish I could have pushed a little harder, but whomever won the auction got a great deal. >>

Was really hoping you were going to get that one Ross image Ah well, next time!

For those that haven't seen, I picked this one up recently:

imageimage

I guess since SGC only does Authentic and PSA doesn't grade them, I will be sending this and my Blue/White test to BGS for grading.

• << <i>I was just underbidder on a Maddux that went for less than $75.00. I wish I could have pushed a little harder, but whomever won the auction got a great deal. >>

Sorry. That was me.
    imageimageimage
  • Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the Maddux. I was trying to talk myself into a bid too, but could not pull the trigger.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better

<< <i>

<< <i>I was just underbidder on a Maddux that went for less than $75.00. I wish I could have pushed a little harder, but whomever won the auction got a great deal. >>

Sorry. That was me. >>

No reason to be sorry! I'm glad someone I like ended up with it though lol.
  • onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    Took me a while to finally land mine.... I think Beckett is the only worth-while grader for these cards now...

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• Won these this weekend. $165 spent

Wish I could of bought more.

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimageimage
    Man! You've been cleaning up.
    So are you going to put the whole set together or just seeing how many you can pick up? Awesome!
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    I see a Kent Hrbek in your lot... if PSA still graded those cards, you'd be SHOCKED at how well it would do.
    I'd have BGS slab that one and list it... I bet it does well. Ol' Herby has some faithful followers... with fairly deep pocketbooks too.

Nice haul btw!

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• << <i>So are you going to put the whole set together or just seeing how many you can pick up? Awesome! >>

I'm unsure at this point. If more large lots pop up and I can afford, I might go for the set. But seeing what some go for ie W. Clark, that scares me away.
    imageimageimage
  • This seller has a Juan Gonzalez card he's saying is a Aqueous. It's not.

****Seller Ended auction.
    imageimageimage
    It would be quite an undertaking. I have tried to find a couple when I can, but this set is starting to actually gain a greater following it seems. This will more than likely bring fakes and scams. I have seen a few auctions lately that will not show the back of the card. That is the second time he has listed a Juan Gonzalez. I think he just does not know what it is.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
    Good news:

"Dear Mr. Allen,

Joe Orlando has asked me to contact you concerning the 1990 Donruss Aqueous Test cards and also the 1990 Donruss Blue/White Test issue.

In the past we did not do any “test” or “proof” cards, and these did fall into that category. Over time we have started adding some of these types of cards to our system.

The last time our graders reviewed the 1990 Donruss Aqueous Test cards they did not feel comfortable grading them. In the catalog information paragraph it states “Little is known about this issue…”, but it does list some specific differences from the regular Donruss cards which they feel should help them when grading. Our head grader has reviewed the information again, and said he feels we can grade them now. So please feel free to submit your cards.

As for the 1990 Donruss Blue/White Test Issue set, they still do not feel comfortable grading these yet because of the limited information that is given for these cards. The catalog also does not list any values which we prefer to have when grading cards.

Of course we are not saying that we will never grade them, but we do need to have a little more information then what is available to us now. Please feel free to send anything that you may find in your own research that may help us to grade them in the future. We are always very grateful to the collectors that are committed to the hobby and to our company.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions."
  • Yes !!!! Was about to send a bunch to SGC go get their only option- AUTH.

Halfway there ! Just need to get those Blue/White's slabbed now.

Thanks for the info.
    imageimageimage
  • slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Wow. Cool.
    Will these be added to the players registry now or is that another decision that PSA has to make?
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better

<< <i>Will these be added to the players registry now or is that another decision that PSA has to make? >>

I'm sure that would be another decision they would have to make, but something tells me that due to their low numbers they probably wouldn't be added.
    Sweet, Now I really need to find that Paul O'Neill card.
    Anyone submitted any yet?
  • saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    Prepare for 1990 Donruss Aqueous Fever!

BTW - As part of the Thomas NNOF/1990 Topps Blackless Thread there was alot of discussion about printing methods around 1990 and what could have caused the "streak" on the printing press that created the blackless area.

There was alot of expert opinion and one thing that did come up was that a few people with printing experience mentioned that around 1990 there was alot of experiminting with water based vs. the traditional chemical based process of creating the images for printing. The advantage being that a water based process was significantly cheaper.

Perhaps Donruss was experiminting with this sort of water based process and that is what is meant by "aqueous test"
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com

• << <i>Anyone submitted any yet? >>

Sent 56 on a piggyback today !
    imageimageimage

<< <i>

Sent 56 on a piggyback today ! >>

Sweet! I'll be excited to hear what kind of grades come back.
  • B.O.B. Congrats !!!!!
    imageimageimage