Home U.S. Coin Forum

The absurdity of plastic - New NGC Black slab

astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
To further support my spiral into the pit of plastic absurdity...here is a new NGC Black slab

imageimage

The coin is a nice proof, likely a 66. If it were not so hazy, a strong shot at a 67. Then again...the coin is not the focus! image

Comments, jibes, and mocking remarks are welcome!

Lane

Edited to add: Sorry for the odd sizing...not sure what is going on with photobucket! Okay...now it looks fixed!
Numismatist Ordinaire
See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

Comments

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>here is a new NGC Black slab >>

New? If it were new, it would likely be an edge view with prongs!

BTW, that's one highly collectible slab!
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>here is a new NGC Black slab >>

New? If it were new, it would likely be an edge view with prongs!

BTW, that's one highly collectible slab! >>

image Okay...new to me!

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    That, my friend, is one of the OLDEST NGC slabs you can find.

Folks pay HEALTHY premiums for coins within those slabs.

NGC Slab Generations
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>Folks pay HEALTHY premiums for coins within those slabs. >>

Corrected below:

Folks pay HEALTHY premiums for those slabs with encapsulated coins. image

<< <i>

<< <i>Folks pay HEALTHY premiums for coins within those slabs. >>

Corrected below:

Folks pay HEALTHY premiums for those slabs with encapsulated coins. image >>

Additional correction...an empty NGC Black slab with label sold for $60 on eBay a couple of years ago...so even the plastic is marketable!

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire

<< <i>That, my friend, is one of the OLDEST NGC slabs you can find.

Folks pay HEALTHY premiums for coins within those slabs.

NGC Slab Generations >>

What idiot would pay a premium for one of those old, outdated, first-generation NGC slabs?

Oh yeah...I know...nevermind. image

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crack it out, dip it to get rid of the haze, and resubmit it raw...you can keep the slab that way image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

<< <i>Crack it out, dip it to get rid of the haze, and resubmit it raw...you can keep the slab that way image >>

Geez...you're killing me! image

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Figuratively speaking, it was new in 1987.image
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    nevermind.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If bidiots will pay money for empty plastic tombs perhaps the Chinese can perfect faking them instead of coins.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

<< <i>If bidiots will pay money for empty plastic tombs perhaps the Chinese can perfect faking them instead of coins. >>

I made the same point a few months back. However, since these are so rare (as compared with high-end or expensive coins in current plastic), there would be a limited market before the bottom would fall out. In addition, the ability to match serial numbers would be a challenge since so few NGC Black slabs are out there.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire

<< <i>Mind me asking what size premium you shoveled out for it? >>

It's too embarrassing... image

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eating crow and worshipping plastic. A pair of fine American traditions.image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats nice, though old. It would be interesting if NGC would give you a "choice" in slabs. Something like a cameo proof gold would look stunning in that.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Lane >>

Don't be embarrassed. These first generation slabs bring very big premiums on eBay and other auctions. I bought an 1925 Saint graded MS62 in a black NGC holder and had to pay a very healthy premium for the slab. This Saint is very undergraded using todays standards and it wouldn't look out of place in a MS64 slab. These coins were graded very conservatively and most have been destroyed in an effort to get upgrades. Again, congratulation on your purchase.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• << <i>Thats nice, though old. It would be interesting if NGC would give you a "choice" in slabs. Something like a cameo proof gold would look stunning in that. >>

I personally like the black slab, and truthfully I didn't even know they existed until this thread.

<< <i>

<< <i>Thats nice, though old. It would be interesting if NGC would give you a "choice" in slabs. Something like a cameo proof gold would look stunning in that. >>

I personally like the black slab, and truthfully I didn't even know they existed until this thread. >>

The black slabs didn't last long. Dealers complained that dark brown copper got lost in the black slab. Also, dealers didn't like the label on the back of the slab. Some non-collector marketing genius decided the company logo should be on the front of the slab to help make the brand name better known.

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><< Mind me asking what size premium you shoveled out for it? >>

It's too embarrassing.. >>

Not anymore. Astrorat will never lose any money on his purchase as I already have 5 collectors he doesn't even know about already lined up to buy it from him at a minimum of well over $1000. I am not specifying a dollar figure as this is not a BST board so i do not want to violate any rules.

Amazingly, this slab has gone down in price only once in 22 years and that was right after 9/11/2001 when I was able to swoop and buy two $20 1924 Saints in MS-61 and MS-62 (one gold stickered and one green stickered) at only $700 each which was still way over the gold coin price at the time.

Prediction; you will not be able to buy anything in a black NGC slab for under $2000 within two years or less. Even if the NGC slab is partially damaged as long as it is clearly original. The buyers simply don't care.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Yes, i have heard of 7 or 8 NGC black slabs but this 1939 proof Merc one is a new one to me, too.

And as usual, oreville is right on the money here.

i know. . .it seems insane to the majority of us this rare intact slab with any coin in it should be worth 4 figures. Remember this: markets never lie. Whether you agree with the market or not is another issue entirely.
    A lie told often enough becomes the truth. ~Vladimir Lenin
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    anybody care to linky that black slab quarter that went on ebay for over $2000 a month or two ago?
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Personally, I think the slab is ugly as hell.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Lane >>

Don't be embarrassed. These first generation slabs bring very big premiums on eBay and other auctions. I bought an 1925 Saint graded MS62 in a black NGC holder and had to pay a very healthy premium for the slab. This Saint is very undergraded using todays standards and it wouldn't look out of place in a MS64 slab. These coins were graded very conservatively and most have been destroyed in an effort to get upgrades. Again, congratulation on your purchase. >>

It was a bit of a joke to Will. I am familiar with their value and what they bring at auction...at least when you can find them! You are correct about undergrading, but generally speaking, the bump in price from the higher grade is over-shadowed by the original plastic.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire

<< <i>

<< <i><< Mind me asking what size premium you shoveled out for it? >>

It's too embarrassing.. >>

Not anymore. Astrorat will never lose any money on his purchase as I already have 5 collectors he doesn't even know about already lined up to buy it from him at a minimum of well over $1000. I am not specifying a dollar figure as this is not a BST board so i do not want to violate any rules.

Amazingly, this slab has gone down in price only once in 22 years and that was right after 9/11/2001 when I was able to swoop and buy two $20 1924 Saints in MS-61 and MS-62 (one gold stickered and one green stickered) at only $700 each which was still way over the gold coin price at the time.

Prediction; you will not be able to buy anything in a black NGC slab for under $2000 within two years or less. Even if the NGC slab is partially damaged as long as it is clearly original. The buyers simply don't care. >>

Dude...STOP educating people, will ya!?! image

Regarding the other collectors, if they have NGC Black slabs, would you kindly put them in contact with me so I can add their slabs to the database? I am now at 13 documented examples and there has got to be more out there.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>Dude...STOP educating people, will ya!?! image

Regarding the other collectors, if they have NGC Black slabs, would you kindly put them in contact with me so I can add their slabs to the database? I am now at 13 documented examples and there has got to be more out there.

Lane >>

I could let you in on a secret stash/hoard of these in a SDB for the right price image

(this is another joke, please don't take me seriously, and if you do take me seriously then you're probably having a dream!) image

<< <i>anybody care to linky that black slab quarter that went on ebay for over $2000 a month or two ago? >>

It was a 1940-D quarter in MS-64 (certificate number 121689-005). The selling price was $1530.

imageimage

Lane

Edited to add price information...
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    An excessively rare slab, this.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

<< <i>

<< <i>Dude...STOP educating people, will ya!?! image

Lane >>

I could let you in on a secret stash/hoard of these in a SDB for the right price image

(this is another joke, please don't take me seriously, and if you do take me seriously then you're probably having a dream!) image >>

You had me going there, Winston! image

I bet you that sooner or later, an unknown hoard will surface when a numismatist's surviving relative stumbles upon a forgotten accumulation of investment coins. Oh to be at that B&M when those walk in!

Lane

Edited for spelling...
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just for kicks, walk into a B&M shop and see what he says and then offersimage

Thats a keeper!image
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    How about pcgs OR anacs come out with a throwback slab? Would love to see a revival of the OGHs

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set

<< <i>Just for kicks, walk into a B&M shop and see what he says and then offers. >>

The chances are that the B&M owner has no idea that these even exist. I've asked numerous dealers about the black NGC slabs and the vast majority of them didn't even know they exist. That's how very rare they are.

<< <i>

<< <i>Just for kicks, walk into a B&M shop and see what he says and then offers. >>

The chances are that the B&M owner has no idea that these even exist. I've asked numerous dealers about the black NGC slabs and the vast majority of them didn't even know they exist. That's how very rare they are. >>

You are spot on!

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    Has anyone thought about collecting a NGC black slab type set?

<< <i>Has anyone thought about collecting a NGC black slab type set? >>

I seriously doubt that a full type set of coins was even slabbed originally. NGC only used these slabs for less than 2 months...and that was when they were just getting started.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • I like the black slab...
    but the font on the white paper sucks...looks like done on a cheap typewriter....
  • Buy the slab, not the coin

<< <i>Buy the slab, not the coin >>

Words to live...or die...by! image

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire

It's a R7 slab! Rarer than the coin!
    Should registry sets recognize the type of slab the coin is in and provide more points for certain, older slabs?

<< <i>Should registry sets recognize the type of slab the coin is in and provide more points for certain, older slabs? >>

Actually...that sounds kind of interesting.

The PCGS Regency and Doily slabs are quite popular...

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire

<< <i>I like the black slab...
    but the font on the white paper sucks...looks like done on a cheap typewriter.... >>

It's better than the dot matrix printer used by PCGS on their labels in their rattler slabs.

<< <i>

It's a R7 slab! Rarer than the coin! >>

Not quite that rare but I would estimate there are fewer than 200 surviving and they are in very strong hands.

• << <i>Should registry sets recognize the type of slab the coin is in and provide more points for certain, older slabs? >>

Yes....

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Should registry sets recognize the type of slab the coin is in and provide more points for certain, older slabs? >>

Why? What is the "registry" about? Is it about the coins (or supposed to be about the coins) and their grades? Or, is it about the slabs?
    I have no problems with people collecting what they like, in what form they like, but I do question why folks would want to make a slab worth "points in a registry"?

Sometimes, I think some of the board members here belong on congress......much more important things going on but they come up with the strangest of ideas. Kind of like the whole "hey! let's do the territories once the state quarters are exhausted!" or "hey! let's do a first spouse gold coin...what a great idea!"

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

<< <i>

<< <i>

It's a R7 slab! Rarer than the coin! >>

Not quite that rare but I would estimate there are fewer than 200 surviving and they are in very strong hands. >>

I think you may be a bit on the high side...if I had to make a guess, I would estimate less than 50 known. I have been able to verify 13 thus far that are in collector's hands and not likely to ever be cracked.

If anyone has any info on "newly discovered" NGC Black slabs, please let me know so I can add them to the database.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't you know NGC overgrades everything? I hope you bought that slab at a discount.image
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Registry sets are about the coins...but bottom line its really about who can afford the most expensive coins in many series...face it there are some sets very few can compete with because the low pops are too expensive...might as well add a few slabs that are next to impossible finding... the slabs have become another area of collecting, supply and demand dictate price...seems to be more demand than supply with many of these rare slabs...

<< <i>Don't you know NGC overgrades everything? I hope you bought that slab at a discount.image >>

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the black NGC slab and think a retro black slab would make a great statement

But I have been wrong on the whole NGC slab story so there you have it

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was it that I heard once? image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file