Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

T.S. O'Connell = Get a New Day Job

Is it any wonder that our hobby loses ground each year when people like T.S. O'Connell represent the face of our hobby?

I mean I don't think this guy passed 9th grade English & there has got to be someone more interesting than him to discuss hobby topics. Another Crappy Editorial

Comments

• << <i>Get a New Day Job >>

This from the unemployed guy.
  • He has probably forgot more about the Card business/Hobby then you will ever knowimage
  • ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    I may have to reconsider my feelings since I tend to agree with Mintacular.
    He may have forgotten more then I have ever known about cards but under his leadership SCD has become worthless and a place for con artists to pass off fake autographs. I bet the real autograph dealers that advertise love seeing fakes sold to unsuspecting buyers via auctions in the same issue.
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • I agree SCD is now a piece of crap, but it was going that direction prior to him taking over. I think someone else started the down fall but can remember the name.
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    My issue with TS is that he's made a career out of special interests and MLB/MLBPA circumvention. Too many double standards.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My issue with TS is that he's made a career out of special interests and MLB/MLBPA circumvention. Too many double standards. >>

along those lines, why does PSA grade his "cards" and refuse to grade Broders?
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Hooray. A whole magazine devoted to ersatz autographs.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    Some of you need to get a clue on how a periodical, especially a hobby periodical, works.

T.S. is not "in charge" of SCD. He is the editor, responsible for filling the editorial pages and creating daily content for his blog (you try coming up with something about which to blog nearly every day). He reports to a publisher, who reports to a group publisher, who reports to a division boss, etc., etc. He has ABSOLUTELY NO SAY in who advertises in the publication. Those who suggest that he should be writing exposes about Coaches Corner are blissfully ignorant of the fact that those higher up on the food chain would never allow such an article to see print.

BoB, Regarding the 1980s O'Connell & Son Ink collectors' issues, they were done at a time when neither MLB nor the players' union seemed too concerned about its property rights. In the early 1990s, after being contacted by the licensors, T.S. signed a formal agreement with them that granted his issues a sort of after-the-fact legitimacy in exchange for his ceasing his operations. Because of this quasi-legitimate status, his collectors' issues were listed in the Standard Catalog and are thus viewed by the TPGs as worthy of being graded.

And, just to be clear, my name is Bob Lemke and I'm the guy who hired T.S., and who made the decision to include his cards in the SCBC.
  • MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He is the editor, responsible for filling the editorial pages and creating daily content for his blog (you try coming up with something about which to blog nearly every day). >>

I could come up with better stuff every day--the hobby needs a fresh voice/jolt or it will fade to black.

• rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>He is the editor, responsible for filling the editorial pages and creating daily content for his blog (you try coming up with something about which to blog nearly every day). >>

I could come up with better stuff every day--the hobby needs a fresh voice/jolt or it will fade to black. >>

can you come up with better stuff every day on a blog somewhere else?
    Yes. I could easily write one good editorial a day.
  • csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828
    Mint - Maybe you should start a daily blog at wordpress.com. Then you can rant over anything you want, and your free to use any language you desire. Im not gonna lie, id probably check it every few days just to see what kind of crap you can come up with
    Thanks for the advice but I'd rather bug people over here image
  • nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes. I could easily write one good editorial a day. >>

Sounds easy 'til you try it. You can probably rattle off 6 or 8 topics to keep you going for the first week or so, but it gets tougher in weeks 2 and 3. Give it a shot, Mintacular. It's easy to get going in blogspot, too: just go to www.blogger.com and pick the big orange button.
    I mean that is his JOB. If you are living, breathing, eating "collectibles" for a living you should be able to come up with about a gazillion things to talk about. And if you don't, then why doesn't SGC just have him write once a week rather than bore us to hell with 6/7 of his articles. Just post the one good one he does.
  • detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Yes. I could easily write one good editorial a day. >>

Sounds easy 'til you try it. You can probably rattle off 6 or 8 topics to keep you going for the first week or so, but it gets tougher in weeks 2 and 3. Give it a shot, Mintacular. It's easy to get going in blogspot, too: just go to www.blogger.com and pick the big orange button. >>

I agree, give it a shot. As you say, how hard can it be. Besides, after Thursday night, you'll have even more free time on your hands since hockey season will be over.
    Why would you tune out of the Stanley Cup Finals on TH night when it will be notched up 2-2? Now that Detroit has used up its lucky bounces the series image
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some of you need to get a clue on how a periodical, especially a hobby periodical, works.

BoB, Regarding the 1980s O'Connell & Son Ink collectors' issues, they were done at a time when neither MLB nor the players' union seemed too concerned about its property rights. In the early 1990s, after being contacted by the licensors, T.S. signed a formal agreement with them that granted his issues a sort of after-the-fact legitimacy in exchange for his ceasing his operations. Because of this quasi-legitimate status, his collectors' issues were listed in the Standard Catalog and are thus viewed by the TPGs as worthy of being graded.

>>

Bob:

Do you happen to know if MLB offerred Rob Broder the opportunity to sign a similar agreement?

Thanks
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.

• << <i>I agree, give it a shot. As you say, how hard can it be. Besides, after Thursday night, you'll have even more free time on your hands since hockey season will be over. >>

Does hockey season actually have an ending? I thought the preseason started as soon as the regular season ended.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Yes. I could easily write one good editorial a day.

I find this difficult to believe since you have yet to produce one single thought-provoking post out of 492 since you've been here. Your idea of 'good' and everybody else's are vastly different.
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I could come up with better stuff every day--the hobby needs a fresh voice/jolt or it will fade to black. >>

Are you implying that YOU are a fresh voice in the industry? You know, the one that uses 2nd grade words like "gazillion" and other hyperbole to try to gain attention?

• ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    To Cds and Thunderdan and Ichiro Deported: (from the last paragraph of the "Bill-o-Clown" onion manifesto):

Unless…wait, of course! Why didn't we think of it before? Volume! Sheer volume! It's so simple. Quickly now, we don't have much time! Don't let it get a word in edgewise! Derisively cut it off mid-sentence! Now, launch the sophomoric personal attacks! Louder, yes, that's it, louder! Be repetitive, juvenile, and obstinate! It's working! It's working!

We've done it! It's walking away and shaking its head in disgust! Huzzah! Finally—defeated with a single three-minute volley of irrelevant, off-topic shouting!
  • seriously, why dont you just get a job period. All this unemployment must be making your wrists sore and your keyboard sticky.
    To Cds and Thunderdan and Ichiro Deported: (from the last paragraph of the "Bill-o-Clown" onion manifesto):

Unless…wait, of course! Why didn't we think of it before? Volume! Sheer volume! It's so simple. Quickly now, we don't have much time! Don't let it get a word in edgewise! Derisively cut it off mid-sentence! Now, launch the sophomoric personal attacks! Louder, yes, that's it, louder! Be repetitive, juvenile, and obstinate! It's working! It's working!

We've done it! It's walking away and shaking its head in disgust! Huzzah! Finally—defeated with a single three-minute volley of irrelevant, off-topic shouting!

Another fresh take. How have you not been scooped up by ESPN for your own show yet?
    I was on that ESPN show "First Take" for one day, actually one hour, actually 1 minute. It did not work out when I jumped across the table during the first segment and tried to rip Skip Bayless'ss'ss eyes out.
    Ironmanfan -- I don't know whether Broder was ever offered a similar deal. I do know that in the later 1990s, Broder formally applied for either or both an MLB and an MLBPA license to produce baseball cards, that he produced "official" prototype cards in furtherance of that process, and that either the licenses were denied or he gave up on it.

Archaninator -- I am not associated with Coaches Corner in any fashion. My only association with SCD is as an occasional contributor of editorial material. I AM associated with F+W Media, the corporation that owns SCD, as a consultant to Collect.Com Auctions and as a contributor to the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards.
  • ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Archaninator -- I am not associated with Coaches Corner in any fashion.
    I AM associated with F+W Media, the corporation that owns SCD,. >>

A little too close for the tastes of many. If you say we can't blame Mr. O'Connell and that its the fault of the corporation (of which you are associated) that does give you some association. I want to see SCD succeed. There was a time when I couldn't wait to sit down and read the latest issue. However when you pander to the lowest advertisers and not the best interest of your readers you lose a ton of credibility. You make it sound like everyone at SCD is just collecting a paycheck and quality and honesty be d*mned. If thats the case I don't begrudge anyone making a living but please stop pretending to be the "Voice For The Hobby". Perhaps "Outlet for the criminals"? Im sure my subscription returning wouldn't move the financial arrows up but I bet if SCD made an effort to clean up its content people would return in droves!! I guess its not so much me that gets hurt by this (I have other outlets such as this site to gain hobby insight) but the many honest advertisers who have paying customers pushed away from the publication.

Adding: This was not ment as an attack on Mr Lemke. I enjoy his custom cards and his hobby knowledge obviously exceeds mine. I just find it frustrating that this site can fish out crooks and scam artists left and right but the voice for the hobby lets it go on under their thumb (no Rolling Stones pun intended). Oh well like was pointed out earlier I haven't a clue how the hobby publication business works....
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards

<< <i>To Cds and Thunderdan and Ichiro Deported: (from the last paragraph of the "Bill-o-Clown" onion manifesto):

We've done it! It's walking away and shaking its head in disgust! Huzzah! Finally—defeated with a single three-minute volley of irrelevant, off-topic shouting! >>

This, from someone whose whole purpose with this thread was to personally attack T.S. O'Connell's writing. Pot meet kettle.

Attacking people that deserve it like T.S. O'Connell who are boring, uninspiring, and pointless is fair game. I have never relinquished the right to attack in those circumstances. It's when you attack somebody with no justification/reason or without facts when there is a problem.

If somebody wants to disagree with me and say "T.S.is awesome" and here's why...that's just fine. Of course, that person probably doesn't exist, and if they do, would be easily rebutted with about 100+ crappy T.S. editorials that I could provide links to image
  • thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

<< <i> .... There was a time when I couldn't wait to sit down and read the latest issue. .... >>

I could not agree more -- let my sub run out late last year and will only renew when there are changes
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    "Thanks for the advice but I'd rather bug people over here."

Nice admission of trolling.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

<< <i> boring, uninspiring, and pointless is fair game... >>

Wow, that's pitching it right in someone's wheelhouse. The pot-meeting-kettle theme is about to be revisited and driven to the upper deck in deep left-center.

Still upset at me about the little crack on your '52 Mantle, eh? I actually think it's a cool idea. I just hate to see how you have grown so old with the long white beard and all and thought the CU should step up and give you a Mantle before you croak or trip and fall over your white beard and break a hip image

Kidding aside, I do like that Spahn. What you want for it?
    Mintacular -- Put up or . . .

How about you post a 500-1,000 word article here to show us how it should be done?

And then post another one on Thursday, then Friday, then take a nice long weekend and post another one next Tuesday.

Oh, and please post your credentials such as where you got your degree in journalism, how many years you spent in the public media and a resume of your hobby experience.
    Ok. Not like your biased (since you hired T.S.).

One of my majors was in journalism from Miami (OH) No. 66 according to US News Report, ranked before schools like Purdue UCONN VTECH. Indiana, MICH ST., COL, NCSTATE, KANSAS, AUBURN, U of ARIZONA, not to mention a bunch of other crap schools (ex: LSU #130--I guess that means graduates from there are half as smart as me? Hmmm.)

Anyway, give me a topic and I will write a spiffy article and actually do a bit of research. Also consider, just because I'm not a dust-farter doesn't mean that my hobby experience is irrelevant.

Hell, anybody can write a column if someone gives them the topic; generating your own topics is a big part of the job.
    I can do that too. Need to learn more about the audience at SGC so since you are so smart give me a topic and I will write a nice article and you will react "damn that kid's good!"

But then again, you're probably one of those old-timers that just wants to keep the hobby amongst the "good ole boys" and fails to see that without a fresh infusion from the younger generation the hobby will die on the vine...
    Nobody's asking you to write for "SGC" (do you, by chance mean SCD?); this forum is your target audience.

Again, you have to come up with your own topic. If it misses the mark maybe you'll understand a bit better the challenges of being a professional hobby journalist.
    Okay, I will write an article (and yes I meant SCD--I will need an editor image) All I ask is that you give it a fair shake and I will send it to you. Deal?

I believe I could get a buzz to that site with some relevant/edgy commentary. BTW--anything I have said about O'Connell still stands: he has an occasional good editorial but the majority are vanilla...

My main objective is to help save the hobby I am addicted to and make it vibrant/exciting the way it once was but fear that it will continue to slide into oblivion.

<< <i>I believe I could get a buzz to that site with some relevant/edgy commentary >>

Here's the thing: even relevant/edgy commentary loses all credibility when it is riddled with poor spelling and grammar, which is consistent with many of your previous CU postings. I'm not trying to be a spelling/grammar Nazi; rather, I'm telling you that if you want to be taken seriously when you write this article, this has to be cleaned up. Surely you know this from your major in journalism.

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Isn't that what the editor does?

Steve
    Good for you.
    An editor can only do so much. That, and I was assuming that he would not have the benefit of professional editor in this introductory piece. If he's looking to replace T.S., I would think he gets the benefit of an editor once he has proven the ability to write intelligible prose in addition to the relevant/edgy angle to which he aspires.

I'm certainly not perfect, but then again, I'm not looking to become a professional writer.

Mintacular -- You're still not getting my point. I will certainly read whatever you come up with, but I want you to post it on this forum for the edification of the group.
    It's when you attack somebody with no justification/reason or without facts when there is a problem.

Fact: You're an idiot.
    Justification: You say stupid things.
    Surprise, surprise Lee. Nobody responds to your comment. Maybe because you say the same thing every time?image
  • group hug time
    volpe cups, oddball Topps issues
  • csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828
    Mint - if you can do a well written hobby article, with "the voice of the hobby" in it with passion, I will send you all the 1989 Topps commons I have
  • What the hobby needs is people to wear baseball card clothes. Or not.

imageimage

imageimageimage