Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

T.S. O'Connell = Get a New Day Job

Comments

• Curious here....Mintacular, are you still unemployed? Also, are you a Miami alum?
    volpe cups, oddball Topps issues

• << <i>not to mention a bunch of other crap schools (ex: LSU #130--I guess that means graduates from there are half as smart as me? Hmmm.) >>

LSU voted the #2 party school in the nation by ESPN. Who needs an education when you have beer and boobies? Apperantly common sense and maturity are not taught at the UofMofOH.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been actively collecting since 1988 and have read SCD since 1990. It's relative demise has nothing to do with relevance, ignorance, old farts, global warming or Obama.

The hobby is shifting for many reasons - but it's still fun and it's not always easy to hit a target audience each and every issue.

Believe me SCD would hire a martian to write articles if they thought it would inspire its readers.

Mintman - it's not easy to please even the readers here.

let me just say that I posted on a matchprint proof of Reggie Jackson back in Feb of 08 and fell on almost total deaf ears.

Is this a boring topic? I didn't think so - it went to the heart of the cards we pick up and admire each and every day - what does it imply? Nothing - other than people would rather spend their time reading and talking about cards as such and not the background.

My point? It may be harder than you think to hit a target and come up with something challenging and fresh each and every week/days.

The Reggie matchprint:

Again - good luck Mint - I'm looking forward to your articles.
    mike
    Mike
  • MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    Okay, so maybe I couldn't come up with something EVERYDAY, so why does't SCD plug in someone new every few days instead of making us read T.S's columns all the time?
  • ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

<< <i> It's when you attack somebody with no justification/reason or without facts when there is a problem.

Fact: You're an idiot.
    Justification: You say stupid things. >>

Excellent point Lee: I couldn't agree more...

"Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult

<< <i>Okay, so maybe I couldn't come up with something EVERYDAY, so why does't SCD plug in someone new every few days instead of making us read T.S's columns all the time? Do they think we enjoy the throw-up in our mouth taste? >>

Good question. I suggest a letter to the editor - I've commented many times and had it published in SCD.

Let's be realistic here - they probably don't have the time or resources to get 'outside' input and publish it - I know nothing about publishing laws e.g.

Heck, I dropped an email to SCD - I believe to T.S. O'Connell on Take me out to the ball game - the HOF says there's 11 variations to the original printing in 1908 - I have personally catalogued 25 and own 23 of the variations myself - and didn't get a response. In fact, I have a half written article on the sheet music and would have loved to publish something in 2008 and the 100th anniversary.

I will eventually offer the article to SCD e.g. - but not until I locate those 2 "missing" variations - one of which I was outbid on last time it came up on ebay.

Is this a great hobby of what? image

mike
    Mike
  • schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Hi Bob.

If the decision to continue to accept ads from CC is above Mr. O'Connell's head, can you please advise whom we could try to contact at Krause Publications or F+W to address our concerns? The contact page from the website is a little vague:

http://www.fwmedia.com/contactus

The SCD contact us page has a bit more detail, but I'd like to make sure that the call gets routed to the proper person:

http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.com/contact_us/

Also, can you please advise as to when you left your position at SCD / Krause?

Who is Rober Maris?
  • AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    If you check the "roster" on Page 4 of every issue of SCD, you'll find the pecking order.

The publisher is Dean Listle; the group publisher is Jeff Pozorski; the magazine group president is David Blansfield, the chairman and CEO is David Nussbaum. I believe all can be reached by emailing firstname.lastname@fwmedia.com.

Listle and Pozorski are headquartered in the Iola, Wis., office; Blansfield and Nussbaum work out of the corporate ivory tower in Cincinnati or New York. I don't think you would be successful in reaching any of them by phone.

I was directly involved with SCD from the time Krause Publications bought it in 1981, until the early 1990s as editor, then publisher. Sometime in the mid-1990s I moved into a corporate acquisitions and development role with KP, and was only directly involved in SCD as a contributing columnist. Around 1998 I left the corporate side and worked full-time as editor of the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards. I left the company in May, 2006, after its sale to F+W Media. Two or three months ago I became a consultant to the newly formed Collect.Com Auctions business.
  • Hi Everyone,

Perhaps some of you know me. I am mike the ring guy who used to post a lot over at SCD in regards to CC whenever O'Connell would do a story.

He got so fed up that he shut down the comments section. Well, much to his surprise, I was so annoyed by his actions, I started a blog on my website to keep the pressure and dialoge going on SCD and their relationship with CC.

My site is www.sports-rings.com. If you could please visit and click on the blog tab on the right and help support my blog by contributing I would greatly appreciate your help.

thanks,

Mike the ring guy,

www.sports-rings.com

www.sports-rings.com
  • ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    Interesting read Mike. Thanks for posting!

Edited to add: Welcome to this site!
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • looks like coache's corner is threatning me.

Please check this out at my blog that I set up when O'Connell shut down his comments area.

www.sports-rings.com/blog.htm

www.sports-rings.com
    Mike I didn't notice the comments part after the articles until now. I think this one should be of extra concern to SCD:
    Mike The Ring Guy said...
    I received a phone call yesterday from Robert Lifson, president of Robert Edwards Auction. Yes, it was him, I had received a message and returned his call to his company headquarters.

He called to let me know that he saw my website blog and felt compelled to share his experiences and to inform me that my intuition was correct - advertisers are leaving SCD. Robert told me that he decided to cease advertising in SCD based upon SCD's relationship with CC. Unlike us, who do not have an opportunity to get upper management to communicate with us, Robert spoke to management at great length on this matter.

For now on, Robert Edwards auction will no longer support SCD through advertising in the publication. Robert left the door open, that maybe some day, they could be back, but not in the foreseeable future. This does hurt Robert Edwards auctions as Robert explained to me that the advertising helped the auction house increase consignments, however, they felt that they could not stand by and watch SCD pollute the hobby with garbage.

While the auction house is surprised and disappointed that SCD is now going into the auction business, this was not the reason the pulled their advertising.

As most of you know, REA is a class act with exceptionally high standards. It is not a coincidence that they get the highest prices in the industry.
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
    BTW has Mintacular posted his article yet?
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
    I have not but have one in the hopper. At the time of my OT I was just sorta railing on O'Connell for being stale, etc. but now I see are also embroiled in some serious ethical violations and I'm not sure I would want to lend my genius and good name to their online rag.

Did you notice that he conveniently skipped pass the allegations of Coaches Corners and instead threw a pity-party for himself about how his threads have been hijacked? A poor attempt to garner sympathy and avoid the central issue--collectors want answers about Coaches Corner and SCD is determined to stonewall those queries.

I'm still going to write a break through article though just don't know where to send it. I really want to write about that 3-D baseball card but need to do a bit of research first.

Sports Collectors Daily is one place that might post my editorial.
  • csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828
    mint your article was never for SCD, it was supposed to be for THIS forum for all to see.........
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

<< <i>looks like coache's corner is threatning me....... >>

///////////////////////////////////

I am skeptical about that.

Sounds trollish to me.

ccsa@mycomcast.com said...

Every single signed item we have up or have ever had in one of our auctions is legit. They all come authenticated by a company who employs some of the most respected men in the industry. Take this site down-or we will!

June 5, 2009 8:57 AM

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    "This does hurt Robert Edwards auctions as Robert explained to me that the advertising helped the auction house increase consignments, however, they felt that they could not stand by and watch SCD pollute the hobby with garbage."

It hurts consignors far more than the auction house. It's not all about attracting new consignments, you also want to attract bidders. You pay the auction house to promote your items and their auction. Most of the larger auction houses do this by advertising in all the hobby publications, and attending shows to promote the auction and maybe even display items that are coming up for auction.

"Every single signed item we have up or have ever had in one of our auctions is legit. They all come authenticated by a company who employs some of the most respected men in the industry. Take this site down-or we will!"

The answer to the riddle is to understand that this is true, "They all come authenticated by a company."
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Legit?

lol

Steve
    Good for you.
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    If your employer adopts a business policy that is untenable, and that effects your personal reputation to the point that you have lost all credibility in your chosen field, you should quit. It's called integrity.
    SCD has opted to continue taking CC ad revenue and traded its integrity for those ad pages. Every message board in the hobby has posts about this, with few, if any, defending the magazine and most stating that as the reason for canceling their subscription. I have to wonder if this was a large reason for SCD grading to have ceased operations, as it would be tough to trust a TPG that would run those ads. Now SCD has started an auction house, and there is a thread on another board calling into question the authenticity of one of the marquis pieces in that auction (lot #2, which was subsequently pulled).
    This is not the quality journalism that John Stommen set out to create when he founded SCD in 1973. SCD and its owners and subsidiaries should be ashamed.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

Ask yourselves this:

Why does "Mike the Ring Guy" hide behind anonymity? No name or contact information here or on his blog, except a cell phone number.

And, by the way, the "Bob Lemke" that posted a comment on his blog is NOT me. See how easy it is for trolls to corrupt a comments section?
    Bob, what are your thoughts on Griffins post?
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Bob Lemke, you have gone from PIONEER to PIRATE! By sitting by idly, you help facilitate fraud you loser!

You're an idiot. he said he left the company in 2006.

<< <i>I AM associated with F+W Media, the corporation that owns SCD, as a consultant to Collect.Com Auctions and as a contributor to the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards. >>

Lee, I don't have such harsh feelings about Mr Lemke and I do think it is pretty cool that he is giving us his insight on things but it does appear he is still with the company in some capacity.
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards

<< <i>Bob Lemke, you have gone from PIONEER to PIRATE!

By sitting by idly, you help facilitate fraud you loser! >>

With all due respect, rhetoric like this is over the top and doesn't help to promote an open dialogue.

Not always, is the answer - "sitting idly by...."

There are many reasons why employees of a company sit by and don't speak up - let's be fair - if one has bills to pay, debts, a family...etc. - they don't just fall on their sword because their employer may be taking ads from a potentially bad company.

I say - let Mr Lemke respond to questions - if ya don't like the response - respond with another question.

If anyone thinks CC is the only villain in the hobby mosh pit - I can assure you - there's plenty of other culprits in the fray.

mike
    Mike
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Lee, I don't have such harsh feelings about Mr Lemke and I do think it is pretty cool that he is giving us his insight on things but it does appear he is still with the company in some capacity.

He's a consultant for a company that is under the same umbrella company that SCD is. Are you saying that everybody who works for that company should quit their job because one of the subsidiaries is unethical? That would be like saying everybody who works at Taco Bell should quit their job because KFC employees treat chickens cruelly.
  • I have nothing to add. Just wanted everyone to know I am having a BBQ today and have 60 pounds of crawfish, taters, corn and beer. LSU game comes on at 4 CST.

<< <i>Ask yourselves this:

Why does "Mike the Ring Guy" hide behind anonymity? No name or contact information here or on his blog, except a cell phone number.

And, by the way, the "Bob Lemke" that posted a comment on his blog is NOT me. See how easy it is for trolls to corrupt a comments section? >>

///////////////////////

Anonymity allows for the unchilled flow of fact and opinion - by and
    for consumers - on the internet.

Anonymous or not, posters are responsible for the content of their
    own writings.

Folks who claim to be damaged by the comments of posters have
    adequate recourse.

MikeTheRingGuy, as the operator of his blog, has a duty to police
    third-party comments that are posted. He also has the general
    ability to determine the true source of posts made.

When a third-party claims that an impostor is posting under that
    person's name, it would be prudent/responsible for MTRG to
    REMOVE such fraudulent posts.

As a life long spin-doc, common sense and experience tells me
    that the folks under attack on MTRG's blog are NOT posting
    "threats" to that blog.

Allowing it to appear that such posts are - or even might be -
    genuine makes for good theatre, but it is dishonest.

Years ago when a homemade "grading company" started pouring out fake Bazooka, Bond Bread, and a few other issues I can't recall, somebody at SCD quickly picked up on the many complaints and did a fantastic story in the pages of SCD which brought the issue to the attention of the hobby. The voice of the hobby was powerful and Ebay quickly banned the sale of the grading companies product. It shows just how powerful an official hobby publication can be in helping to address a serious issue in the hobby.

<< <i>''There are many reasons why employees of a company sit by and don't speak up - let's be fair - if one has bills to pay, debts, a family...etc. - they don't just fall on their sword because their employer may be taking ads from a potentially bad company.''

I am sure this is what Bernie Madoff employees / feeder funds told themselves and exacerbated the duration and level of fraud / losses. Whistle blower laws exist for a reason! If you are employed by a company committing or enabling fraud, the right thing is to find another job and/or contact the authorities. In my opinion, anything less is reprehensible behavior. For me, this is a not a difficult moral dilemma. However, obviously, for others, this is a much more difficult decision. A very sad reflection of our populus. Hence, my comment Bob has lost his pioneer status and relegated himself to nothing more then a pirate! >>

Again, an oversimplification of this whole situation IMO.

And, it's always easy to speak up and say what one would do when their butt isn't in the proverbial sling.

I'm neither accepting nor condoning anyone's position on this or any discussion dealing with nefarious auction houses - just trying to keep an open mind.

I just think calling Mr Lemke a pirate at this point is not fair and he deserves more respect than that - after all - he came here to speak - let's hear him out.

mike
    Mike

<< <i>Lee, I don't have such harsh feelings about Mr Lemke and I do think it is pretty cool that he is giving us his insight on things but it does appear he is still with the company in some capacity.

He's a consultant for a company that is under the same umbrella company that SCD is. Are you saying that everybody who works for that company should quit their job because one of the subsidiaries is unethical? That would be like saying everybody who works at Taco Bell should quit their job because KFC employees treat chickens cruelly. >>

In this economy I wouldn't ask (or expect)anyone to leave their jobs but if KFC started claiming to be "The Voice Of The Chickens" I would expect that people may question them.
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
    I rarely get into the predicament of having to eat at KFC, but the few times I have, I've come away with the opinion that no chickens were harmed in the KFC process. They may be using the same company to grade their chickens as CC is using.
  • "That would be like saying everybody who works at Taco Bell should quit their job because KFC employees treat chickens cruelly. "

but if the Mexicans working at Taco bell were treated cruelly I would eat more chicken to compensate.
  • Mint....article? Write it on Baseball Card Shirts. image

imageimage

imageimageimage
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    I have a simple take on this...

As much as things change in this hobby, many for the bad as of late, the simple premise of integrity and accountability is a measuring stick that should never change. SCD was a periodical that I advertised in consistently during the late 1980's and early 1990's. It is a publication that I paid a premium for to have delivered overnight to attempt to take advantage of items offered by other advertisers. As the hobby changed from regular issue, mass produced cards to the UV infected premium items and subsequently to serial numbered and game used issues, I fell away from SCD as both an advertised and a subscriber. With the advent of SportsNet and then the Internet and eBay, it became increasingly easier to buy and sell cards without the advertising lag.

Nearly two decades have passed and it is apparent that SCD's advertising revenue is no longer derived from the small to midlevel buy/sellers, but rather the larger corporate entities. Sadly, SCD and it's decision makers no longer consider the welfare of the hobby over advertising revenue regardless of what may be written by their contributors.

When a publication that used to be a voice for the hobby succumbs to the almighty dollar at the expense of their credibility and responsibility, it is a sad day indeed. Regardless of the efforts or intentions of the SCD contributors, the final verdict of guilt falls squarely on the shoulders of those that prefer profit to responsibility.
    What more can I say that I haven't already said?

The decision to accept or not accept the advertising of any party (at F+W/Krause/SCD) is not made at the editor's level, much less the consultant's level. Sure, anybody who is morally outraged at the decision of a publisher to accept survival versus demise is free to resign in protest. But if you can honestly say that's what you'd do in a similar situation I will bow to you as a superior person (or perhaps you simply married well). I have a "day job," I have voluntarily associated myself with Collect.Com Auctions because I enjoy dealing with (most) others in the card/memorabilia hobby.

As an activist in the Sixties (actually it was a great way to get chicks), I learned that while sound and fury makes headlines, real change comes from within and it doesn't happen overnight.

Aside to LSU Bill: Sounds like you know how to throw a barbecue (can you really call it a barbecue without red meat?). My daughter and I try to travel to a college football game every year. Last tiome is was Ole Miss, this year it's Florida State. The current schedule (good lord willing and the creek don't rise) is West Point, then LSU. Care to make me an offer to switch to LSU in '10?
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As an activist in the Sixties (actually it was a great way to get chicks), I learned that while sound and fury makes headlines, real change comes from within and it doesn't happen overnight.
    >>

The only changes made at SCD over the past decade or so have included:

A) Declining subscribers
    B) Increasing dependence on [at the very least] questionable advertisers
    C) Accelerating momentum to irrelevance

The demise of SCD is almost an inevitability, with a clock ticking. The trite comment of "real change comes from within" means little when the publication has lost its advertiser base, its subscriber base, and has an increasingly aged internal staff. There is no true momentum to change at SCD; it would rather cling to the parasites [like Coach's Corner] hoping that its cash flow delays its demise, without realizing that it is those very parasites that will assuredly determine beyond any reasonable doubt that there is no opportunity other than demise.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.

<< <i>Sure, anybody who is morally outraged at the decision of a publisher to accept survival versus demise is free to resign in protest. >>

I think you are missing the entire point, which is that the SCD (allegedly) has largely entered demise (according to many on this board) because it has rented itself out to unscrupulous advertisers (Coach's Corner).

As for change from within, you of all people have the opportunity to get on the horn to corporate and demand that they review their account with Coach's corner.

Stop making excuses about trying to feed your family, and to quote Spike Lee, "Do the right thing." Your family will be eating leftover breadcrumbs if SCD loses its trust with collectors, which it sounds like, it may be already have happened.
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>real change comes from within and it doesn't happen overnight.
    >>

Seeds of discord and destruction also come from within.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    What a shame, they would rather be whores then hobby protectors.

Steve
    Good for you.
    I think some really good points have been made here about SCD - and I totally concur.

But advertising is one division - writing is another - I would just hope to give those individuals a little slack when it comes to any advertiser...

It's not like there's a job on every corner for these guys I would guess?

I'm not making excuses nor condoning anyones actions - just trying to be fair in my opinions.

Great discussion and I'm happy see how 'sane' this debate has been.

Thanx
    mike
    Mike
    "...I feel my pioneer to pirate comment is justified...."

//////////////////

I agree.

Why would I care if supporters/enablers/employees of what
    appears to be RICO-enterprise have a job/food/shelter?

Complaints filed at

snitch on crooks

are aggregated and acted upon by the FBI when enough
    complaints have been compiled.

• GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Real change comes from within only when those there have a spine.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• A related item. SCD 6/12/09 front cover CSC Collectibles ad Willie Mays ball $40. CSC certified. Are dealers allowed to certify their own autographed items now?

<< <i>A related item. SCD 6/12/09 front cover CSC Collectibles ad Willie Mays ball $40. CSC certified. Are dealers allowed to certify their own autographed items now? >>

Tho the discussion has swayed a bit from that of TS of SCD and then turned by Mr Lemke - I will have to say - that SCD has been going down a 'slippery' slope for almost 2 decades.

Back around 1990, ASA (Accucard) regularly advertised in SCD - the problem as many knew - Alan Hager was not only grading cards but also selling them - and one can only imagine where this went.

That's not the only advertiser that people had problems with - many didn't care for Mr Mint and his dealings as well as "Broadway Rick" of the StrikeZone - and I'm sure many can point to a small stack of smaller players who couldn't be trusted.

There's problems right now with major auction houses - so the tenor of the conversations in the hobby - right now - would not be characterized as sweet.

I guess it just means one has to be all the more careful in their dealings.

But, it's still a great hobby and one can have fun - I just looked into my crystal ball - and it told me to lay low - enjoy what I have and look to the future.

mike
    Mike
    "...I guess it just means one has to be all the more careful in their dealings..."

//////////////////////////////////////

Hi Mike...........

Sadly, that maxim is what got us to where we are now.

Telling folks to "be careful" - when they don't even know
    what they are looking out for - simply doesn't work.

Government - law enforcement - needs to do what folks
    cannot do themselves. The FBI has well recognized this
    and continues to make good efforts; even if we don't
    see the results everyday.