Home Metal Detecting
Options

I found my first silver coin today, then the second! - WITH PICS

jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
I got a nice 1942 merc dime, you can still see the split bands on the reverse and about an hour later, I found a 1927 merc dime. I was hunting with the local metal detecting club in an old housing area next to a military base. They recently demolished all the houses and decided to make it a huge park because they didn't want to have houses so close to the base filing noise complaints as it is directly underneath the approach pattern of the base for aircraft.

I'd put up pictures but I didn't think it would be much use as these are fairly common coins.

I'm happy. I also found a few modern dimes, some nickels, and wheaties.

Today was a good day, for me.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice finds Jesse.... Mercs are a favorite of mine... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Dug mercs always look good in pictures! Sounds like a great outing, congrats!
  • Options
    Congrats! After about 1 year of detecting I still have not found a Merc. image
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Nice finds. We do like pics. Thats what helps get me up off the couch and out detecting.
  • Options
    imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    I like it.image
    thanks
  • Options
    Those pics were so Big I could see Mercury's Nose Hairs. Nice coin!
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still think the Merc is the first bellweather coin most people new to the hobby find to find that gets their heart pumpin' as a detectorist. Congrats!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    nice finds!

my first day out last weekend just resulted in modern crap, a metal
    button, some strange hook/clip thing, and assorted trash because
    i was digging almost everything.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice finds. To bad there isn't a 1 showing under that 42
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations. That's a real rush, finding silver, ain't it?

I'll never tire of diggin' Mercs. A Merc dime will put a smile on my face every time.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Yep, it was fantastic. For a second, I saw bright shiney silver and it was like seeing a nice buck in the woods, your heart jumps a little cause you don't know what it is yet. I also found a bunch of wheaties, some modern dimes, nickels, and an old matchbox car with a #7 on it.
  • Options
    goossengoossen Posts: 492 ✭✭
    nice finds!
    My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/