Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1990 Donruss Aqueous Test... anyone ever heard of these???

I'm working on my master set of Sabo, and have this card on my checklist.... what the heck is it? Anyone know? I checked Ebay... there's a single card (yep, just one) of some unknown guy out there. The card looks like the regular Donruss, but does mention something about writting on the backside. Are these real cards? What was the purpose of them? Are they listed in any (price) guides? ... Do they carry any value whatsoever?

Oh ya... and Does anyone out there have any way of getting a Sabo for me?!?!?!

Anyone's info/help will be much appreciated!

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

Comments

• AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've heard of this test issue. Been looking for the Clemens card for a while now. No dice so far.
  • onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Allen!

• TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    here's a small image of the back of my Butler - they do indeed exist!

Geordie
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    I got the Billy Ripken from Chandy...Thank God that Rip Jr isn't included in set!
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    In the other thread someone asked about the "aqueous" designation. It was mentioned that this had to do with testing new printing technology.

I'll try to explain based on my recollection from being in the industry from 1984-1998.

In the 90s we were trying to cut down on using some of the really harmful chemicals involved in the printing process. Using solvents with high toluene content and the like in areas that were not well ventilated can cause problems in both the near and long term. It's hard to use these chemicals and not inhale the fumes or get them on your skin.

The offset printing process up until then involved burning the image onto a photographic plate which was then mounted on the printing press. As the press revolved a solution of water, chemicals and salts, and alcohol was applied to the plate along with the ink. The water solution kept the non-image or blank areas of the plate from attracting ink. The ink stuck to the image areas.

In the early 90s some companies tested plates that needed only water to keep the non-image areas clean. This cut down on the exposure to chemicals, and cut costs. Some of these plates worked, some did not. I did not have any customers who switched permanently to the new process and I don't know if this is now an accepted concept.

So, I believe that is how the "aqueous test" was born.

Keith

• CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Keith;

You are very close in your description, but I believe you are describing the process of 'waterless' inks that was popular about 10-15 years ago... I don't think anyone is utilizing it anymore.

Aqueous tests were trying new coatings that were less caustic for the environment than UV (ultra-violet) coating that uses very toxic solutions to apply a 'dripping wet' gloss to modern cards. Aqueous coatings are water-based so as to be less harmful to the environment, while at the same time apply a coating nearky as glossy as UV, though not as 'dripping wet'. Today, aqueous coatings are the preferred method of applying gloss to ink on coated sheets.
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭
    Was that the only test/promo set from 1990 Donruss? I specifically remember a Ben McDonald card (remember him??) was missing the "Rated Rookie" logo on the lower front.
  • dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭
    1990 Donruss also had Preview cards. I believe there were 24 of them. They were promotional cards given out at the beginning of the year. The fronts were identical to 1990 Donruss but the backs were white. I had the Todd Zeile and I believe Dave Stewart.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Don the 90 Don previews, there were only 12 in the set.

Here's my faovrite

I am looking for both of Puckett Aqueos Test cards! I don't think PSA will grade?
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    There is also a Blue and White 90 Donruss card. It has a player on both sides one is blue and one is white. It is not a complete set of cards but some HOFers/Stars made it into the set.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I got the Billy Ripken from Chandy...Thank God that Rip Jr isn't included in set! >>

Guess again....

imageimage
  • dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭
    Does anybody have a scan of the back of a 1990 Donruss Preview?
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Here you go Don.

Bob, can you post pictures of the Puckett cards. I need something to drool over.

Thanks,
    Jason
  • SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>Keith;

You are very close in your description, but I believe you are describing the process of 'waterless' inks that was popular about 10-15 years ago... I don't think anyone is utilizing it anymore.

Aqueous tests were trying new coatings that were less caustic for the environment than UV (ultra-violet) coating that uses very toxic solutions to apply a 'dripping wet' gloss to modern cards. Aqueous coatings are water-based so as to be less harmful to the environment, while at the same time apply a coating nearky as glossy as UV, though not as 'dripping wet'. Today, aqueous coatings are the preferred method of applying gloss to ink on coated sheets. >>

How about aqueous plates that were developed with water only?

Guees I don't recall as much as I did a few years ago.

Thanks.
  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Bob, can you post pictures of the Puckett cards. I need something to drool over.
    >>

No can do--I don't have either #269 or MVP #8. Your drool will have to stay in your mouth (ew).
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Guess again.... >>

What does that Ripken bring?
  • CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In the other thread someone asked about the "aqueous" designation. It was mentioned that this had to do with testing new printing technology.

I'll try to explain based on my recollection from being in the industry from 1984-1998.

In the 90s we were trying to cut down on using some of the really harmful chemicals involved in the printing process. Using solvents with high toluene content and the like in areas that were not well ventilated can cause problems in both the near and long term. It's hard to use these chemicals and not inhale the fumes or get them on your skin.

Keith >>

Uh oh! I remember as a young teen we used to practically get high from the smell of the freshly opened cards. I think we used to buy tons of 1990 Donruss and 1989 Upper Deck just for the buzz!!! The "garbage bag" packaging that Score used really retained the smells in until they were opened. Maybe I have an idea for a class action suit for brain damage!!!
  • AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    According to the Standard Catalog, genuine Aqueous Test cards are missing the period after INC in the upper-right on back. While it would be easy enough to stamp the test-card notice on "regular" cards, it would be hard to get rid of the period without leaving evidence.
  • ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    These threads are great, guys.

Can anyone give me a fair price range for a Will Clark aqueous card? If not, what about the price range for similar players (maybe Yount, Sandberg, Grace, Molitor and the like)?

FYI, if my deal ends up working out, I'll ask the seller if he has other singles, as it seems that several board members might be interested. Heck, maybe we should make a list (and try to get a bulk discount).

If you're interested in aqueous singles, post here and I'll see if the seller can help us all out.

(I'm claiming the Will Clark, of course!)
  • I'll take the McGwire.....and if he has the 1989 Donruss Blue Chips cards!!
  • AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    I'd be interested in the Scott Bankhead and BJ Surhoff cards.image
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    I'd pay a pretty penny for that Chris Sabo... if you can get your hands on it, PLEASE let me know!

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>In the other thread someone asked about the "aqueous" designation. It was mentioned that this had to do with testing new printing technology.

Keith >>

Uh oh! I remember as a young teen we used to practically get high from the smell of the freshly opened cards. I think we used to buy tons of 1990 Donruss and 1989 Upper Deck just for the buzz!!! The "garbage bag" packaging that Score used really retained the smells in until they were opened. Maybe I have an idea for a class action suit for brain damage!!! >>

I was thinking the same thing!

Those UV coated cards from 1992 wreaked but gave ya a buzz!!!! image

Anyone else remember the buzz from Stadium Club and Fleer Ultra?

mike
    Mike
    I'm going to show this off in a couple of threads, as it's easily the most significant addition I've ever made to my collection.

I never really thought I'd see this card, much less own it.

imageimage
  • RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm going to show this off in a couple of threads, as it's easily the most significant addition I've ever made to my collection.

I never really thought I'd see this card, much less own it.

imageimage >>

Wow so you picked up this card 3 years later?

What did it go for if you dont mind me asking

very cool pick up

<< <i>

Wow so you picked up this card 3 years later?

What did it go for if you dont mind me asking

very cool pick up >>

Yup. Patience pays off. The seller that approached me three years ago had counterfeit cards, so I waited until this one appeared on eBay. I ended up paying about $350 for it. More than I wanted to pay, but less than I was willing to. It's a lot of money for a baseball card that isn't actually all that popular (how many people really want this card? A dozen? Two at the most?), but I figured I'd never have the opportunity again.
  • Congrats on getting a rare card. Love that feeling.

Speaking of rare, should be a Witt UD error on ebay soon.
    imageimageimage
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    ajw - if a dozen people want that card, that's good news for you. There are estimates that there may be no more than 10 of each of the Aqueous Test cards.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    very cool! will PSA grade it?

<< <i>very cool! will PSA grade it? >>

Nope. They have graded a few, but apparently by mistake. I'm going to send it to SGC, primarily for authentication, next week.
  • Congrats on the Clark. I now have an Oquendo and Magrane. Still waiting for the elusive Ozzie.
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter