Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How did this SLQ get a 66?

rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
PCGS MS66 1928-S SLQ

Seems to be a bit banged up for a 66..

I do find the reverse interesting though... notice the polish marks (Probably to clean up a die cleash) and there's still clash marks showing, maybe the dies were cleaned up and clashed again?
Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car

Comments

• Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    Certainly a horsechit strike to be a 66. I'd like to see a bit more detail in a $750 SLQ personally.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I just wish one time i could get the coins i submitt overgraded. But it seems everytime i submitt i get mr. harda$$ to grade my stuff.

I have a friend (young man of 20) that went to work for NGC about 2 years ago for a summer intern type job. He stayed. Within weeks of being there he was already grading silver ASE's and other moderns. Maybe they let him grade the SLQ in question
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    when you blow up an image to the size of the entire monitor, it's natural for the contact marks to look a little more severe. In reality, I bet that piece looks almost entirely mark free.

Gecko: the strike actually isn't too bad. If it was sharply struck, it would be FH, and worth much more.
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    Some of you know that I hoard the snot out of 28-Ss, it's not a bad strike for a 28-S, I certainly have worse ones, but the hits just seem a tad excessive for the grade. It's the polish marks and the clash that had me a bit intrigued, it's a die state I don't have image
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    Im no expert in this series, but I have seen alot worse. Other than the mentioned striking issues, I find it to be a pleasing coin. Maybe in a 65 holder though.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    As GEN mentioned, when you get a photo large enough, even the nicest coins will looks like crap. I think it would be a fine coin and I don't see anything that outright knocks it out of a 66 holder.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This coin is at least a 66 in my book!! You can not grade a coin just on the strike! This coin looks as if it just came off the die!! It also has the flash and the luster of a very high grade! IMO
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    1.) San Francisco Mint +
    2.) Late Die State +
    3.) Polish Lines +
    4.) Images the size of a salad plate +

= As struck, possible MS-66 all day long.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1.) San Francisco Mint +
    2.) Late Die State +
    3.) Polish Lines +

= As struck, possible MS-66 all day long. >>

The salad plate thing is funny..............
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>1.) San Francisco Mint +
    2.) Late Die State +
    3.) Polish Lines +

= As struck, possible MS-66 all day long. >>

The salad plate thing is funny.............. >>

It's more like a dinner plate on my monitor image

Does my AU58 become a AU67 as a salad plate imageimage

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    1. Bread & butter plate,
    Smallest size plate of a place setting ranging from 5 3/4" to 6 1/2" diameter.

2. Tea / dessert plate,
    Non standard place setting item. Sizes range from 6 3/4" to 7 1/2" diameter.

3. Salad plate,
    Middle size plate of a place setting ranging from 7 3/4" to 8 1/2" diameter.

4. Luncheon plate,
    non standard place setting item. Sizes range from 8 3/4" to 9 1/2" diameter.

5. Dinner plate,
    Largest size plate of a place setting ranging from 9 3/4" to 11" diameter.

Well I’ll be darned, the auction SLQ image on my screen is 9” in diameter, so it’s the size of a Luncheon plate, 8 ¾” to 9 ½” diameter. So, no, your AU-58 will have to remain below the 60’s grade because it is only 8“ in diameter, the regular garden variety salad plate diameter…sorry.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does my AU58 become a AU67 as a salad plate imageimage

image >>

If I were just looking for a SLQ for a type coin, I'd take your nicely struck, fairly priced, very tough date, 1920-D, AU 58 over that $750.00, high-luster, MS66 with its incused head and missing shield dots every time.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Strike aside, the series of hits along the legs throw me off.
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    The nicks on the leg can be easily explained.

Ms Liberty was shaving her legs and got a bit

carried away. The nicks will heal and all will be well.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1. Bread & butter plate,
    Smallest size plate of a place setting ranging from 5 3/4" to 6 1/2" diameter.

2. Tea / dessert plate,
    Non standard place setting item. Sizes range from 6 3/4" to 7 1/2" diameter.

3. Salad plate,
    Middle size plate of a place setting ranging from 7 3/4" to 8 1/2" diameter.

4. Luncheon plate,
    non standard place setting item. Sizes range from 8 3/4" to 9 1/2" diameter.

5. Dinner plate,
    Largest size plate of a place setting ranging from 9 3/4" to 11" diameter.

Well I’ll be darned, the auction SLQ image on my screen is 9” in diameter, so it’s the size of a Luncheon plate, 8 ¾” to 9 ½” diameter. So, no, your AU-58 will have to remain below the 60’s grade because it is only 8“ in diameter, the regular garden variety salad plate diameter…sorry. >>

WoodenJefferson, can you supply dimensions of Salad, Dinner, and Shrimp forks...

As then this SLQ thread would also become a full lesson in proper eating etiquette! imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS MS66 1928-S SLQ

Seems to be a bit banged up for a 66.. >>

why would you expect "66" not to have any marks on it? 66 does not = "perfect"

however the strike sucks , which is usual for that issue. i'd question the grade more for strike then for the hits.

K S
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    The marks are fine for the grade, the strike isn't. I would only guess that they gave extra points for the luster. image
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

That 28-S is a solid 66 IMHO - but as ThisNamzTaken mentioned - I'd rather have Broadstruck's AU"67" 1920-D.

I've dealt with enough SLQ's to realize that not all SLQ's in 66 are equal - last month there must have been a
    couple of rolls of them being auctioned in PCGS 66 FH. Someone must have had a huge hoard of them.

Here's the old seller's image I kept of my 28-S in 65FH - sorry for the poor quality of the image.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭

<< <i>when you blow up an image to the size of the entire monitor, it's natural for the contact marks to look a little more severe. In reality, I bet that piece looks almost entirely mark free. >>

Yes GoldenEye,
    I wish more people understood this point when grading from enlarged images.
  • Options
    disruptekdisruptek Posts: 119 ✭✭
    There was a group of these sold in a Stacks sale recently. We went after a few of them that we felt were high-end for the grade, and this is one. All the coins in the group were fairly clean and super flashy.
    disruptek.com
    877-DISRPTK
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

.........i predict CAC would frown on this coin.image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file