Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Registered Mail vs. Registered

I just sold some Krugerrands to APMEX and on their shipping instructions it said to ship Registered and not Registered with insurance. They stated that Registered is "automatically" insured and the insurance is a waste of money

I have always shipped my coins for grading Registered/Insured....Have I been wasting some cash??

(I couldn't chance it and shipped the Kruge's Reg/Ins)

Comments

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just sold some Krugerrands to APMEX and on their shipping instructions it said to ship Registered and not Registered with insurance. They stated that Registered is "automatically" insured and the insurance is a waste of money

I have always shipped my coins for grading Registered/Insured....Have I been wasting some cash??

(I couldn't chance it and shipped the Kruge's Reg/Ins) >>

It does include a token amount of insurance, I can't remember the amount (it's described on the post office website). You still need to add registered insurance above this amount.
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    I have always used insurance with Registered mail myself. But I guess when you ship registered the package is alway under lock and key, so you really don't need insurance.

"It is what it is."
  • Options
    Items you send with Registered Mail are placed under tight security from the point of mailing to the point of delivery, and insured up to $25,000 against loss or damage. And you can verify the date and time of delivery and the delivery attempts online.
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Items you send with Registered Mail are placed under tight security from the point of mailing to the point of delivery, and insured up to $25,000 against loss or damage. And you can verify the date and time of delivery and the delivery attempts online. >>

But you have to declare amount and pay for the insurance
  • Options
    According to APMEX I have to declare the amount but I can DECLINE the insurance...It will be insured anyway (up to $25K)
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Items you send with Registered Mail are placed under tight security from the point of mailing to the point of delivery, and insured up to $25,000 against loss or damage. And you can verify the date and time of delivery and the delivery attempts online. >>

But you have to declare amount and pay for the insurance >>

You can declare $0.00 value and pay the base rate of $10.00.
  • Options
    al410al410 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭
    Registered Mail Prices
    Declared Value Price

$0.00 $10.00
    $0.01 to $100 $10.80
    $100.01 to $500 $12.10
    $500.01 to $1,000 $13.30
    $1,000.01 to $2,000 $14.50
    $2,000.01 to $3,000 $15.70
    $3,000.01 to $4,000 $16.90
    $4,000.01 to $5,000 $18.10
    $5,000.01 to $6,000 $19.30
    $6,000.01 to $7,000 $20.50
    $7,000.01 to $8,000 $21.70
    $8,000.01 to $9,000 $22.90
    $9,000.01 to $10,000 $24.10
    $10,000.01 to $11,000 $25.30
    $11,000.01 to $12,000 $26.50
    $12,000.01 to $13,000 $27.70
    $13,000.01 to $14,000 $28.90
    $14,000.01 to $15,000 $30.10
    $15,000.01 to $16,000 $31.30
    $16,000.01 to $17,000 $32.50
    $17,000.01 to $18,000 $33.70
    $18,000.01 to $19,000 $34.90
    $19,000.01 to $20,000 $36.10
    $20,000.01 to $21,000 $37.30
    $21,000.01 to $22,000 $38.50
    $22,000.01 to $23,000 $39.70
    $23,000.01 to $24,000 $40.90
    $24,000.01 to $25,000 $42.10

• Options

<< <i>According to APMEX I have to declare the amount but I can DECLINE the insurance...It will be insured anyway (up to $25K) >>

Sorry, but APMEX is wrong. You used to be able to ship via registered mail without insuring stuff, but not anymore. From the USPS website:

Regardless of any insurance that may cover the article, the mailer must always declare its full value to the USPS when presenting it for registration and mailing (see chart below). The mailer must tell the USPS clerk (or enter on the firm sheet if a firm mailer) the full value of mail matter presented for registration. Private insurance carried on Registered Mail does not modify the requirements for declaring the full value. The accepting USPS employee may ask the mailer to show that the full value of the matter presented is declared, and may refuse to accept the matter as Registered Mail if a satisfactory declaration of value is not provided. Only articles of no value may be mailed as Registered Mail without insurance.

<< <i>You can declare $0.00 value and pay the base rate of $10.00. >>

Only if you lie about the value of what you're shipping (see above).
  • Options

<< <i>You can declare $0.00 value and pay the base rate of $10.00. >>

True....And then the "automatic" insurance is zero (you also have to pay the Priority or 1st class fee in addition)

On the slip it says that "full value of items must be declared"

And then there are two boxes 1) with Postal Insurance and 2) without Postal Insurance

I am being led to believe that there is no difference other than cost....the end resulting insurance is the same
  • Options

<< <i>According to APMEX I have to declare the amount but I can DECLINE the insurance...It will be insured anyway (up to $25K) >>

Sorry, but APMEX is wrong. You used to be able to ship via registered mail without insuring stuff, but not anymore. >>

True - plus registered insured is a great deal relative to other ways of shipping - Example:

$10,000 insured package going via registed/insured costs only $24.10
    $5,000 insured package going via priority costs a whopping $63.20

JC
  • Options
    The ONLY way I will ship coins of up to $25,000 in value is via U.S. Registered Mail WITH postal insurance. Registered mail is absolutely the safest method, but anything can happen, Packages could theoretically be lost or damaged. There is no sense in not purchasing the insurance for the full value. I ALWAYS purchase the insurance.

By the way, it is a little known fact that you can have Registered First Class mail, or Registered Priority Mail. At the post office, they will often tell you that even though it costs a few dollars more, there is no benefit to using Registered Priority mail, as (according to their common wisdom) it doesn't move any faster. I have found this to be decidedly false, particularly for coast-to-coast shipments. If I am shipping between NY and California, I find that Registered Priority mail is considerably faster than Registered First Class mail.

I also always use a green signature card ("return receipt") on the package.

In summary, for packages valued up to $25,000, I believe the best shipment method is U.S.P.S. Registered Priority Mail with postal insurance and return receipt.

Best,
    Sunnywood
  • Options
    OK...Here's the cut and paste from APMEX:

“Registered” mail is automatically insured by the post office with a minimum starting value of $1,000 and the cost of additional insurance is $1.00 for every $1,000 in declared value. Tell the post office you want to send a “registered” package(s) not “registered & insured,” which may confuse them and cost you a great deal more money to ship.

If necessary, talk to your Postmaster to clarify. We ship hundreds of packages per day via registered flat rate boxes so we know what the rules are.

Please note that the Post Office will insure any registered package up to $25,000.00 maximum. If not registered, the maximum is $5,000.00 insurance per package.
  • Options

<< <i>OK...Here's the cut and paste from APMEX... >>

Yes, and there are cut and paste posts from the USPS website which contradict APMEX's claim. So who do you believe is correct regarding USPS's policies- USPS or APMEX? image
  • Options
    boucharda, that is not quite accurate. The automatic insurance is only up to $1000, and applies if you do not otherwise declare a value for insurance purposes. If the package is worth more than $1000, and you fail to declare the actual value, you cannot recover more than $1000. It is much wiser to explicitly request insurance, and declare the actual value of the contents (up to $25,000). I would also declare the value and request insurance of $1000 for any parcel wirth less than $1000.

Best,
    Sunnywood
  • Options
    al410al410 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭
    Frpm USPS website

Registered Mail™ Prices
    Get maximum security for your valuable items with Registered Mail. It incorporates a system of receipts to monitor the movement of the mail from the point of acceptance to delivery. Registered Mail is insured up to $25,000 against loss or damage. You can even verify the date and time of delivery and the delivery attempts online.

Find the price of Registered Mail by the declared value of your item, plus additional services available with Registered Mail.

Registered Mail Prices
    Declared Value Price

$0.00 $10.00
    $0.01 to $100 $10.80
    $100.01 to $500 $12.10
    $500.01 to $1,000 $13.30
    $1,000.01 to $2,000 $14.50
    $2,000.01 to $3,000 $15.70
    $3,000.01 to $4,000 $16.90
    $4,000.01 to $5,000 $18.10
    $5,000.01 to $6,000 $19.30
    $6,000.01 to $7,000 $20.50
    $7,000.01 to $8,000 $21.70
    $8,000.01 to $9,000 $22.90
    $9,000.01 to $10,000 $24.10
    $10,000.01 to $11,000 $25.30
    $11,000.01 to $12,000 $26.50
    $12,000.01 to $13,000 $27.70
    $13,000.01 to $14,000 $28.90
    $14,000.01 to $15,000 $30.10
    $15,000.01 to $16,000 $31.30
    $16,000.01 to $17,000 $32.50
    $17,000.01 to $18,000 $33.70
    $18,000.01 to $19,000 $34.90
    $19,000.01 to $20,000 $36.10
    $20,000.01 to $21,000 $37.30
    $21,000.01 to $22,000 $38.50
    $22,000.01 to $23,000 $39.70
    $23,000.01 to $24,000 $40.90
    $24,000.01 to $25,000 $42.10
  • Options
    You guys are preaching to the choir here...I sent it WITH insurance but I can't explain the Apmex instructions (I will also add that "choose no insurance" was in red to make a point
  • Options

<< <i>OK...Here's the cut and paste from APMEX:

“Registered” mail is automatically insured by the post office with a minimum starting value of $1,000 and the cost of additional insurance is $1.00 for every $1,000 in declared value. Tell the post office you want to send a “registered” package(s) not “registered & insured,” which may confuse them and cost you a great deal more money to ship.

If necessary, talk to your Postmaster to clarify. We ship hundreds of packages per day via registered flat rate boxes so we know what the rules are.

Please note that the Post Office will insure any registered package up to $25,000.00 maximum. If not registered, the maximum is $5,000.00 insurance per package. >>

I think it's funny they tell you to talk to the Postmaster to "clarify". Why make that statement, then tell you to consult another person?
  • Options
    Who cares what APMEX says !! Protect yourself by following USPS procedures and purchasing insurance.

If they told you not to select insurance, did they also guarantee you in writing that THEY would cover any loss or damage to your package? Of course not. They will tell you they never received it, or it wasn't their fault. If you are shipping coins to them, protect yourself and ignore their foolish suggestions.

In fact, I wouldn't trust anyone who tells me to ship without insurance but doesn't offer me a written guarantee of coverage.

Best,
    Sunnywood

• Options

<< <i>boucharda, that is not quite accurate. The automatic insurance is only up to $1000, and applies if you do not otherwise declare a value for insurance purposes. >>

There is NO automatic insurance for registered mail. The registration fee is $10.00 for shipment of an item with no value. For an item valued as little as 1 cent, the fee is $10.80. You are expected to declare the value of the shipment when you purchase postage, and the registration fee (which varies with the value of the item) includes insurance for that amount.

In case anybody is still not clear about the need to claim the actual value of the item (and pay the appropriate fee) when shipping by registered mail, here is the USPS policy regarding claims:

4.1 Payable Claim
    Insurance for loss or damage to insured, registered, or COD mail within the amount covered by the fee paid or within the indemnity limits for Express Mail as explained in 4.2 is payable for the following:

g. Fair market value of stamps and coins of philatelic or numismatic value, as determined by a recognized stamp or coin dealer or current coin and stamp collectors newsletters and trade papers.

4.3 Nonpayable Claims
    Indemnity is not paid for insured mail, Registered Mail, COD, or Express Mail in these situations:

a. Evidence of insurance coverage not provided.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I'm 99.9% sure the post office doesn't allow the "Registered without insurance" option now. You declare the values and they charge the insurance. there is always a lot of misinformation in USPS threads and I don't want to contribute to it but this is the way my post offices understand it. Additionally the new form doesn't even have a check box for "Without Insurance". --Jerry
  • Options
    Makes sense to me image

The form I got today had the 2 options though
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm 99.9% sure the post office doesn't allow the "Registered without insurance" option now. >>

One can still select "with postal insurance" or "without postal insurance", but either way the value must be declared.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

"boucharda, that is not quite accurate. The automatic insurance is only up to $1000, and applies if you do not otherwise declare a value for insurance purposes. If the package is worth more than $1000, and you fail to declare the actual value, you cannot recover more than $1000. It is much wiser to explicitly request insurance, and declare the actual value of the contents (up to $25,000). I would also declare the value and request insurance of $1000 for any parcel wirth less than $1000.

Best,
    Sunnywood "

in the mass oif confusion -even from many a Postmasters mouth ......I believe Sunnywood's statement above is the most sound
  • Options

<< <i>"boucharda, that is not quite accurate. The automatic insurance is only up to $1000, and applies if you do not otherwise declare a value for insurance purposes. If the package is worth more than $1000, and you fail to declare the actual value, you cannot recover more than $1000. It is much wiser to explicitly request insurance, and declare the actual value of the contents (up to $25,000). I would also declare the value and request insurance of $1000 for any parcel wirth less than $1000.

Best,
    Sunnywood "

in the mass oif confusion -even from many a Postmasters mouth ......I believe Sunnywood's statement above is the most sound >>

There is NO automatic insurance provided, of any amount. You get the amount of insurance you pay for, based on the declared value. Copied directly from the DMM:

2.0 Registered Mail

2.3.1 Full Value
    Regardless of any insurance that may cover the article, the mailer must always declare its full value to the USPS when presenting it for registration and mailing (see chart below). The mailer must tell the USPS clerk (or enter on the firm sheet if a firm mailer) the full value of mail matter presented for registration. Private insurance carried on Registered Mail does not modify the requirements for declaring the full value. The accepting USPS employee may ask the mailer to show that the full value of the matter presented is declared, and may refuse to accept the matter as Registered Mail if a satisfactory declaration of value is not provided. Only articles of no value may be mailed as Registered Mail without insurance.

So let's review...

"the mailer must always declare its full value to the USPS when presenting it for registration and mailing"

The base registration fee is $10.00. For any amount over a value of zero (even for 1 cent), there is an additional charge- it's 80 cents for $0.01 to $100.00.

"Only articles of no value may be mailed as Registered Mail without insurance."

Coming from a government agency, that's as simple a declarative sentence as you're ever likely to find. If you're using registered mail, it's because your package is... what? Valuable, no? So obviously, if the package has value, it cannot be sent by registered mail without insurance.

Right? image

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The DMM specifically defines what items may be mailed Registered service with a declaration of no value. Believe me, gold coins do not fall within that category. If you attempt to mail merchandise Registered and declare no value, any subsequent inspection by Postal authorities could lead to prosecution. The instructions given by APMEX as quoted by the OP are whacked out.

"Coming from a government agency, that's as simple a declarative sentence as you're ever likely to find. If you're using registered mail, it's because your package is... what? Valuable, no? So obviously, if the package has value, it cannot be sent by registered mail without insurance"
    Until a fairly recent revision to the DMM, it WAS possible to send merchandise with value by Registered service with a declaration of no value; this was usually accomplished by businesses that had a private insurance policy that covered replacement value of the merchandise if and only if shipped by Registered mail. The U.S.P.S. recognized this loophole and quickly closed it, while also affording itself the additional revenues gained by the higher fees to customers that now must declare F.M.V. Most merchants with existing private insurance coverage still have chosen to simply declare the least value possible by the U.S.P.S. Registered rate schedule.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Makes sense to me image

The form I got today had the 2 options though >>

Sounds like an old form. I am looking at the current Post Office's Registered Mail form right now. There is no choice, there are no boxes to select.

The sender fills out the TO and FROM data and "Customer Must Declare Full Value $ _______" with the notation "Domestic Insurance up to $25,000 is included based upon the declared value."

PS Form 3806, May 2007.

Lance.
  • Options
    My P.O. still has PS Form 3806 May 2004

They will probably use them up by 2012 and then get new outdated forms

And.....APMEX must have the same forms

I will add that they made it very easy to sell bullion coins though (and I probably got a better price than "CASH-FOR-GOLD")
  • Options
    I'm looking at the registered mail form (3806) dated May 2007 and it doesn't include the option for no insurance. I have a stash of the old forms and the postman tells me I can no longer check the "without postal insurance" box. --Jerry
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have always used insurance with Registered mail myself. But I guess when you ship registered the package is alway under lock and key, so you really don't need insurance. >>

They changed things about a year or two ago so that insurance is included in the fee as anyone who can read can plainly see from the table that someone else posted. You declare a value so they know what fee to charge. Those forms that say with or without insurance are probably old forms that some places are still using up. As many times as this topic has been discussed here I'm surprised that there are people here who still don't seem to have a clue.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm looking at the registered mail form (3806) dated May 2007 and it doesn't include the option for no insurance. I have a stash of the old forms and the postman tells me I can no longer check the "without postal insurance" box. --Jerry >>

Your postman is correct.
  • Options

<< <i>I just sold some Krugerrands to APMEX and on their shipping instructions it said to ship Registered and not Registered with insurance. They stated that Registered is "automatically" insured and the insurance is a waste of money

Since registered has insurance included they probably meant not to purchase extra insurance.
  • Options
    It is a well-known fact that Registered Mail, going from one point in the USA to another point within the USA, is afforded the highest degree of security, and hand-to-hand accountability.

That leads some to conclude that they do not "need" to pay "extra" for insurance. No risk of anything bad happening to the contents of their package.

Wrong. If something happens enroute, to the truck, train, or plane on which Registered Mail is being carried, guess what? Besides the occasional plane crash, there have been incidents of truck hijackings and armed robberies of letter carriers. Guess what then?

What amazes me is that anyone intelligent enough to have acquired enough money to be able to afford say, a $10,000 coin would be dumb enough to try to avoid paying a few dollars to buy insurance, even though the risk is small.

The risk is small, but it is not zero.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    It is possible that Apmex has private insurance for packages sent TO them as well as sent FROM them.

When I send coins to Harry Laibstain, he provides his insurance (and pays postage, BTW) so no USPS postal insurance need be purchased.
  • Options

<< <i>It is possible that Apmex has private insurance for packages sent TO them as well as sent FROM them. >>

I agree.

<< <i>When I send coins to Harry Laibstain, he provides his insurance (and pays postage, BTW) so no USPS postal insurance need be purchased. >>

This is pretty standard stuff in the business.

Though it's odd that APMEX wouldn't simply say "Our insurance will cover the package, so you do not need to purchase any additional insurance."
  • Options
    I have to correct my earlier post. Mr. Potatohead is correct; registered mail apparently no longer carries automatic insurance of up to $1000. I don't know when they did away with this, but I am quite certain that in the past, there was automatic insurance of up to $1000, and you had to pay for additional insurance. Many carriers, including UPS, had similar policies.

In any case, the current policy is that you have to pay for any insurance, even a nominal amount. The exact details are here:

USPS Registered Mail fees with insurance

This does not change my earlier advice however. I always ship via USPS Registered Priority Mail with insurance for the full value, up to $25000. You should always declare the full value and buy the insurance. For amounts over $25000, one has to either buy private insurance, or use a specialty carrier such as Brinks. The USPS seems to offer additional private insurance, but I'd have to look into that.

*Important* - I do NOT recommend buying postal insurance or declaring a value on anything OTHER THAN registered mail. The reason is that it's like putting a sign on the package that says, "I'm valuable, please steal me." Without the security protections of REGISTERED mail, the package can easily disappear. Many folks confuse certified and registered mail, or they ship via regular first class or priority mail with postal insurance. These are bad for coins - you should only use registered mail.

Berst,
    Sunnywood
  • Options

<< <i>*Important* - I do NOT recommend buying postal insurance or declaring a value on anything OTHER THAN registered mail. The reason is that it's like putting a sign on the package that says, "I'm valuable, please steal me." Without the security protections of REGISTERED mail, the package can easily disappear. Many folks confuse certified and registered mail, or they ship via regular first class or priority mail with postal insurance. These are bad for coins - you should only use registered mail.

Berst,
    Sunnywood >>

Then what are ya gonna do? There are times [like returning stuff to TeleTrade] that it would be better if the package got lost or stolen, but that never seems to happen.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>*Important* - I do NOT recommend buying postal insurance or declaring a value on anything OTHER THAN registered mail. The reason is that it's like putting a sign on the package that says, "I'm valuable, please steal me." Without the security protections of REGISTERED mail, the package can easily disappear. Many folks confuse certified and registered mail, or they ship via regular first class or priority mail with postal insurance. These are bad for coins - you should only use registered mail.

Berst,
    Sunnywood >>

Then what are ya gonna do? There are times [like returning stuff to TeleTrade] that it would be better if the package got lost or stolen, but that never seems to happen. >>

If a package isn't valuable enough to insure but too valuable to just ship registered, then I add signature confirmation to it for $1.80. Never had one get lost. --Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Berst,
    Sunnywood >>

Then what are ya gonna do? There are times [like returning stuff to TeleTrade] that it would be better if the package got lost or stolen, but that never seems to happen. >>

If a package isn't valuable enough to insure but too valuable to just ship registered, then I add signature confirmation to it for $1.80. Never had one get lost. --Jerry >>

As long as its insured you have a tracking number so sig conf and/or del conf are redundant and a waste of $$$. I think you missed my drift here Jerry. Rather than absorb the TT return fees, its better for the sender to hope it gets lost and recover the full insured value.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>*Important* - I do NOT recommend buying postal insurance or declaring a value on anything OTHER THAN registered mail. The reason is that it's like putting a sign on the package that says, "I'm valuable, please steal me." Without the security protections of REGISTERED mail, the package can easily disappear. Many folks confuse certified and registered mail, or they ship via regular first class or priority mail with postal insurance. These are bad for coins - you should only use registered mail. >>

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I've shipped dozens and dozens of coins worth up to $1K each
    via Insured First Class Mail and never had one stolen. I'm not willing to gamble on uninsured mail for anything
    over about $100. Registered is very slow over long distances. Express Mail is a viable alternative in the $1-5K
    value range.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Berst,
    Sunnywood >>

If a package isn't valuable enough to insure but too valuable to just ship registered, then I add signature confirmation to it for $1.80. Never had one get lost. --Jerry >>

What about a $350 dollar coin? What good is sig conf if the package is lost or stolen?
  • Options

Well here is what it says at their place.

==========================

Selling to Us

Do you have a minimum transaction?

Yes. When you sell your products to us, our minimum purchase amount is $1,000.

How do I sell to The American Precious Metals Exchange?

Selling your items to APMEX is easy, as it should be. When you are ready to sell items to us, just follow these simple steps:

1. Open your free on-line account

2. Call our Trading Department at (800) 375-9006 and get our current prices

3. Securely package your items and then *ship to:

APMEX
    P.O. Box 7867
    Edmond, OK 73083-7867

*NOTE: We recommend that you ship your package via USPS Registered Mail (which includes insurance) for your protection

• Options
    I kinda know what it APMEX says since I quoted it in a previous response (below)

"“Registered” mail is automatically insured by the post office with a minimum starting value of $1,000 and the cost of additional insurance is $1.00 for every $1,000 in declared value. Tell the post office you want to send a “registered” package(s) not “registered & insured,” which may confuse them and cost you a great deal more money to ship.

Please note that the Post Office will insure any registered package up to $25,000.00 maximum. If not registered, the maximum is $5,000.00 insurance per package."

1) The confusion WAS WITH THE OLD REGISTERED MAIL SLIP and having to make the choice of "with postal insurance" or "without postal insurance"

2) As stated by previous replies to my inquiry Registered Mail now includes the insurance in the fee

3) I assume APMEX was referring to purchasing additional insurance on top of the Registered Mail's included insurance. They would have avoided confusion if they just said "Send coins via Registered Mail WHICH AUTOMATICALLY INSURES your shipment"

• Options

<< <i>I kinda know what it APMEX says since I quoted it in a previous response (below)

"“Registered” mail is automatically insured by the post office with a minimum starting value of $1,000 and the cost of additional insurance is $1.00 for every $1,000 in declared value. Tell the post office you want to send a “registered” package(s) not “registered & insured,” which may confuse them and cost you a great deal more money to ship.

Please note that the Post Office will insure any registered package up to $25,000.00 maximum. If not registered, the maximum is $5,000.00 insurance per package."

1) The confusion WAS WITH THE OLD REGISTERED MAIL SLIP and having to make the choice of "with postal insurance" or "without postal insurance"

2) As stated by previous replies to my inquiry Registered Mail now includes the insurance in the fee

3) I assume APMEX was referring to purchasing additional insurance on top of the Registered Mail's included insurance. They would have avoided confusion if they just said "Send coins via Registered Mail WHICH AUTOMATICALLY INSURES your shipment" >>

not to be nitpicky but you don't say anything that directly shows that apmex says that registered includes insurance; its all by inference; tho not that it really matters at this pernt.
  • Options

Ten year ago, you could trust APMEX, but not anymore. When they ship it is by certified mail and it is not insured. They self insure which would be okay if they actually paid when you don't receive the package but sometimes they don't. One postal worker would steal packages from APMEX and fill out and sign the card as received. Postal inspectors investigated, the worker was fired, but they wouldn't cover the loss for an uninsured package. APMEX used the excuse that the tracking record shows the package was received and wouldn't pay. Obviously there was fraud but the Post Office would have paid if the package was insured. Since APMEX claims their packages are fully insured, they should have paid.

On another issue, I ordered 25 1 oz platinum bars from APMEX and sent them my check. After they cashed my check, they refused to fill my order until I provided addional information of my identity, etc. When I called, their excuse was, I could have ordered under a fake name. Even if that was so, so what? I provided all the information they required to take my order and especially to take my money. APMEX can require whatever information the wish and I am okay with provided those requirements are know before they take money. That was not case, I provided all the information they requested and then and only after they cashed my check so that I couldn't stop payment, I had to fullfill additional requirement.

I understand that companies mislead, For example, I see a price online and after I provide all the information, they add huge shipping cost and taxes. However, they don't attempt to steal my money before I submit the order. I have the option of not paying the final price by not submitting the order. That wasn't the case with APMEX, They used the "We require additional information excuse" in hopes of stealing my money.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DWornock .... Welcome aboard.... This is a 13 year old thread you resurrected... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@al410 said:
    Registered Mail Prices
    Declared Value Price

$0.00 $10.00
    $0.01 to $100 $10.80

I'd like to insure this parking lot penny, worth 1 cent, and pay $10.80 for the insurance... :wink:

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file