Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How do cancelled/waffled coins end up on the market?

Does the Mint sell 'em? That seems like it would be counterproductive for "destroying" them in the first place. Do they somehow mistakenly end up in rolls after all? I'm guessing not as I would think that they would sell for a bit more if they did. How do they end up on the market?
imageRIP

Comments

• Options
    Cam-Slam 2-6-04
    3 "DAMMIT BOYS"
    4 "YOU SUCKS"
    Numerous POTD (But NONE officially recognized)
    Seated Halves are my specialty !
    Seated Half set by date/mm COMPLETE !
    Seated Half set by WB# - 289 down / 31 to go !!!!!
    (1) "Smoebody smack him" from CornCobWipe !
    IN MEMORY OF THE CUOF image
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

that was my thought...stolen from the scrap dealer
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw an entire table of them at Long Beach on Saturday. Sort of cool I thought, but also thought it was odd that only one dealer had them. I think they were all in NGC slabs, so at least they won't get any further damage image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They did a report on this a few years back....

Basically, at that time, it came to light that, when the coins were cancelled ("waffled"), the mint considered them scrap metal as they are not monetized.
    So, a company had the contract for the scrap metal and they were contacted, or contacted, another company for promotion. That company then went to NGC and got them slabbed.

So, the mint only got the amount it was contracted for as scrap metal and then someone else made the bank

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    always suckersimage
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I thought of the homeless guy going through the mint's dumpster, also. Everyone's needs to make a living.
    Paul
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No matter what it is.. someone, somewhere, will buy it... and because of that, there are many who look for these opportunities to make extra cash. Great system. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭
    I saw these at Long Beach and was considering picking one up but since there weren't any IKE's, I just walked away.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Anyone want to buy a waffling machine?
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    The mint has a waffle maker that the defective coins are run through. A contractor buys the waffle scrap and sells it to those pancake/waffle house places you see in tourist traps. They bake them into waffles and serve them as “mineral enriched” waffles.

Others are sold to companies who make commemorative medals for politicians. “Waffle Coins®” are perfect for them.
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    People paying with coins at the Waffle House?image

All kidding aside, I never like them myself.
  • Options
    Rob Chambers sidekick Paul Hollis, who took Chambers spot on ShopNBC has been hawking them, not just SHQ, but cents, nickels, dimes, halves and SBA's....and all of these are in PCGS slabs, my friends.
    I'll come up with something, eventually.
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>Rob Chambers sidekick Paul Hollis, who took Chambers spot on ShopNBC has been hawking them, not just SHQ, but cents, nickels, dimes, halves and SBA's....and all of these are in PCGS slabs, my friends. >>

Paul Hollis, what a dweeb.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file