Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The 2009 Pennies: Yours thoughts on the new designs

I am writing this post because I feel these designs are products of special interest groups and people that dont know the first thing about Lincoln. The first design they hit the money with, the second, eh, its ok. What really boils my blood is the 3rd and 4th. Does anybody besides me think the Lincoln-Douglas Debates is a much more appropriate theme than him next to the capital building? The 4th is the worst of all. WHAT DOES AN UNFINISHED CAPITAL BUILDING HAVE TO DO WITH LINCOLN AS PRESIDENT???? I guess if we have a Ronald Reagen, Ike, or whomever coin we should have a finished building on the reverse? Lincoln giving the Gettysberg Address is MUCH MUCH more appropriate. PLease let me know if you agree these deisgns are not the best.

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too much detail in those designs in too little space. Given the low relief of modern coins, these line drawings might be the best view you will see of them.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    It will be interesting to see some of the strike detail on these when they come out. Sure seems to be a lot of detail on them.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cosmo Kramer sitting on a log reading an owners manual for an axe?
  • Options
    The Capitol Building was unfinished when Lincoln was inaugurated. I think they also intend for it to have some kind of symbolic reference that building the nation is unfinished (or work in process).

http://coins.about.com/od/uscoins/ig/New-Penny-Designs-for-2009-/Unfinished-Capitol-Building.htm
    Coin Update - Coin Collecting News and Articles - Updated Daily.

Mint News Blog - US Mint News, Product Information, and Commentary.
  • Options

<< <i>Cosmo Kramer sitting on a log reading an owners manual for an axe? >>

imageimage
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    All of the designs are too complicated for a coin that is only 0.75 inches in diameter. Buildings never look good on a coin, and the two with full-length figures will end up as little more than blurs. The final one, incomplete Capitol building, reminds me of the Jersey Turnpike salute. Individually, they are awful! Together they are worse than awful!
  • Options
    first one is okay....

the rest image
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    <<<Cosmo Kramer sitting on a log reading an owners manual for an axe?>>>

lol

yup with me...i've given up on the new mint...i'm just waiting for them to go all computer generated-design-machining

nothing but a big chick-e-cheese factory anymore

one would of thought a classic wheat reverse with 1909-2009 address would of been in order with a return to an engravers portrait as close to vic's as he could of come...toss that out
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    With the zinc core being so soft they will probably strike up just fine.

As far as design. Any new is better eventhough they could do much better.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The third one reminds me of Mr Roger's Neighborhood.
  • Options
    Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    The 4th design is REALLY is stretch to Lincoln presidency, him giving the Gettysberg Address would be a no brainer
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭
    I think the coin should depict him declaring war on the Confederate States of America... or show Atlanta in flames or show the complete and utter destruction of the lives of southerners.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options

<< <i>I think the coin should depict him declaring war on the Confederate States of America... or show Atlanta in flames or show the complete and utter destruction of the lives of southerners. >>

Aaaah, The War of Northern Agression....I forget my history, who fired the first shot?

The designs are mediocre at best and I suspect that they will not translate well to actual coinage.
    imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options
    Isn't it great that we live in an age where such things could never happer again...

Internet monitering, phone tapping, etc...all without court order...

Dissent is quashed even greater today than during the days of Jay Edgar Hoover....LONG LIVE THE PATRIOT ACT!....

FloridaBill

• Options
    The work on the capitol dome was a big issue during the CW due to many thought it was wasteful spending. Lincoln felt that the work must go on as a symbol of the Unions future.

During the Civil War, construction costs for the new dome and other parts of the building drew unfavorable remarks. Lincoln, however, stressed the work's importance, saying, "If people see the Capitol going on, it is a sign we intend the Union shall go on."
    "One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making new discoveries" -A.A. Milne
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note of passing historical interest -

After 50 years, striking of the Lincoln Memorial reverse design comes to an end December 31 and the series will be complete.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. They suck.
    2. They suck.
    3. They suck.
    4. They suck.

They are trying to do too much with too little space. It's a circulating coin. Just make a nice one without tons of detail and without trying to "recapture the youth". Kind of like with the franklin commems the other year...the "young franklin" one sucked.

Modern folks remember them from their older days and that is what should be on the coinage.

I also don't understand, since they SUPPOSEDLY have some numismatists on their little panel who should have understood that MANY people wanted a 2009 SVDB similar to the 1909 SVDB, WHY they couldn't (didn't) do that???

Totally stupid to ignore the opportunity to do something totally cool, and unprecedented, in numismatics with one of the most collected series.

I mean, a "log cabin"....oooo ahhhhhhh.
    Lincoln sitting on a friggin' log.....ooooo ahhhhhh.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    I think people will be saying "What the he11 is that" and not even realize the building is unfinished.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like the 1st (2) designs image

JMHO, GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I reserve my opinion until i actually see the coins in person. IMO after 50 years it is time for a re-design but not four of them- only one. What happens after 2009? Does it go back to the old design? or do we continue to have 4 designs per year? Or ? Also, are all four designs going to be minted at the same time? or is it one every 90 days or so? I think the second and fourth designs will look stupid-but wait and see.

The mint used to hate coin collectors--now they love us. Bob
  • Options
    i have yet to drop in here, read more than four posts and not have a chuckle. you all are really good people here. and i for one appreciate the sense of humor, reading the owners manual for the axe, lol why not have old abe bent over, with his pants around his knees showing his bare a$$ ??
  • Options
    I agree that 4 is too many. I think one design would have been perfect, maybe even the wheat ears reverse.

I hope they get it right in 2010 when they pick the next design at least...
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    I also want to wait until I see them in hand but there's nothing here to make me go ga-ga. IIRC some of the proposed designs were MUCH better then the chosen ones.

My favorite is the Capitol Under Construction.

I think it was time for a change, though. Seeing the same design year after year can get, well...tedious. The memorial reverse had already been in it's 25th year when I was born.

I'm mainly looking forward to finding them in circulation. It will be interesting to see how and when they show up. I've finally found bunches of 2008s-but most of them were pretty nasty looking and went into the spending jar. Hopefully these new designs will reach me before they turn nasty.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    >>What happens after 2009? Does it go back to the old design?<<

I've read that a new reverse design will appear for 2010 and later, but haven't seen any mention of what it will be. Hopefully the new design will be an improvement over the Memorial reverse, but after seeing what they did with the Jefferson nickel obverse in 2006 I'm not holding my breath.

I'm expecting that the cent will only be struck for a few more years anyway, especially if inflation really takes off.

• Options
    nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    I'm not a fan of any of them. I would have much preferred a one year return to the wheat ear reverse, or one single good design to 4 bad ones.
    Dan
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Why waste money redesigning a coin that should be taken out of circulation. Who here actually spends pennies; I cannot think of anything I can buy with a penny and any pennies I get go into the sparkletts bottle at the end of the day. What a waste image
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I think the coin should depict him declaring war on the Confederate States of America... or show Atlanta in flames or show the complete and utter destruction of the lives of southerners. >>

Aaaah, The War of Northern Agression....I forget my history, who fired the first shot?

The designs are mediocre at best and I suspect that they will not translate well to actual coinage. >>

Uh, one shot, so let's destroy the entire economy and lives of southerners? Lincoln is a War Criminal.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options

<< <i>1. They suck.
    2. They suck.
    3. They suck.
    4. They suck.

They are trying to do too much with too little space. It's a circulating coin. Just make a nice one without tons of detail and without trying to "recapture the youth". Kind of like with the franklin commems the other year...the "young franklin" one sucked.

Modern folks remember them from their older days and that is what should be on the coinage.

I also don't understand, since they SUPPOSEDLY have some numismatists on their little panel who should have understood that MANY people wanted a 2009 SVDB similar to the 1909 SVDB, WHY they couldn't (didn't) do that???

Totally stupid to ignore the opportunity to do something totally cool, and unprecedented, in numismatics with one of the most collected series.

I mean, a "log cabin"....oooo ahhhhhhh.
    Lincoln sitting on a friggin' log.....ooooo ahhhhhh. >>

I agree, that would have been the way to go. O well.
    Its all relative
  • Options
    WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The mint can really go ape with these 09 cents.
    They could have 12 in satin for mint sets
    they could have 12 for circulation
    4 cameo proof
    4 reverse proof
    They could have some mint sets with satin obverse with circulation reverse
    they could have some with circulation obverse and satin reverse

That would make 56 different cents and with the other 09 coins, you could have
    a whole collection for 09.

• Options
    Al21Al21 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    I like the second one. The first looks like a log cabin in the desert.

Successful BST transactions with WTCG, NH48400, evil empire,
    meltdown, timrutnat, bumanchu, 2ndCharter, rpw, AgBlox, indiananationals, yellowkid, RGJohn, fishteeth, rkfish, Ponyexpress8, kalshacon, Tdec1000, Coinlieutenant, SamByrd, Coppercolor
  • Options
    SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
    They could have simply struck the 2009-S VDB with the wheat reverse.

That way, some of us old-timers could realize life-long dreams of finding a ’09-S VDB in circulation.image
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They could have simply struck the 2009-S VDB with the wheat reverse.

That way, some of us old-timers could realize life-long dreams of finding a ’09-S VDB in circulation.image >>

An excellent point, Hunter!
  • Options
    Not if they only strike 484,000! image

• Options
    bigtime36bigtime36 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    I think all new stuff is CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

go back to the old designs, when they really meant something......

Jim

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

• Options
    >>WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The mint can really go ape with these 09 cents.
    They could have 12 in satin for mint sets
    they could have 12 for circulation
    4 cameo proof
    4 reverse proof . . .<<

That only scratches the surface. They could be struck in zinc, bronze, silver, gold, platinum, palladium, copper-nickel and steel. They could strike each variety at all 4 mints.

>>They could have some mint sets with satin obverse with circulation reverse
    they could have some with circulation obverse and satin reverse

That would make 56 different cents and with the other 09 coins, you could have
    a whole collection for 09.<<

I think that might be overdoing it. I would be perfectly happy with 4 designs x 4 mints x 8 alloys x 4 finishes = 512 coins! image

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They are trying to do too much with too little space. It's a circulating coin. Just make a nice one without tons of detail and without trying to "recapture the youth".

Totally stupid to ignore the opportunity to do something totally cool, and unprecedented, in numismatics with one of the most collected series. >>

Agreed. And after 100 years of striking hundreds of billions of Lincoln cents, many of which have won't buy anything, 2009 should close with the elimination of the cent denomination.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I think one of the designes should have been a 2009 VDB same design as the 1909. At least in the mint sets....

-David
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not an ounce of artistic merit in any of them. They all scream "I"m done by a graphic designer!"
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first one would have been better if there were trees around the cabin. Its too sparse, but then, there's no room on that size coin anyway.

Wheat ears reverse w/ VDB would have been the best way to go.

The mint doesn't have a clue what collectors want to see. When we stop buying mint products, then maybe they will care.

I stopped in 2005 and will never buy another item directly from the mint (proof sets, mint sets, modern commems, etc.) ever again.

I'm bored by their "products" and their designs.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    Another vote for at least 1 with the Wheat rev.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan of any of them. I would have much preferred a one year return to the wheat ear reverse, or one single good design to 4 bad ones.

I would like to see the original alloy, and I also agree with SCD Hunter that 484,000 2009-S vdb wheat cents should be minted and released at random into circulation. Now that would stimulate the hobby!
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

I like #3.....image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file