Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did they make silver '66 & '67 Kennedy halfs?

I was looking through a couple rolls of half dollars and found 2 '67 and 1 '66 Kennedy half dollars that look and sound silver. I thought they stopped making silver halfs in '64? They wouldn't be proofs would they? They sure don't look like it.
What Mr. Spock would say about numismatics...
image... "Fascinating, but not logical"

"Live long and prosper"

My "How I Started" columns

Comments

• Options
    they are indeed silver but only 40%
    USPI minimalist design collage
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    1965 through 1970 are 40% silver

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    These are 40% silver, and do trade for a premium over face for the silver content.

From 1965 through 1970, the half dollars were not clad, but they were debased from 90% silver to 40%.

You may be able to score some from bank rolls.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>These are 40% silver, and do trade for a premium over face for the silver content.

From 1965 through 1970, the half dollars were not clad, but they were debased from 90% silver to 40%. >>

From www.coinfacts.com:

Metal Content:
    Outer layers - ±80% Silver, ±20% Copper
    Center - ±79% Copper, ±21% Silver

Looks like clad to me.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

They were silver clad coins. The outer layers were 80% silver and 20% copper. The core was 20% silver and 80% copper. The whole thing came to 40% silver.

The same composition cropped up again in 1976 for the silver Bicentennial quarter, half dollars and dollars.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Considering the fact that the Mint produced 1964 dated Kennedy Halfs in 65 and 66 to meet demands for the 64 dated coins you never know - I have not heard of this happening but after the recent fiasco's with the Prez Bucks you never know.
    On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you weighed the coins?

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Considering the fact that the Mint produced 1964 dated Kennedy Halfs in 65 and 66 to meet demands for the 64 dated coins you never know - I have not heard of this happening but after the recent fiasco's with the Prez Bucks you never know. >>

For a 90% Silver 1865 or 1966?

Now that would be sweet and totally possible. I wonder if anybody has ever bothered to check?

11.5 grams for the silver clad vs 12.5 grams for the 90 percenter.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Considering the fact that the Mint produced 1964 dated Kennedy Halfs in 65 and 66 to meet demands for the 64 dated coins you never know - I have not heard of this happening but after the recent fiasco's with the Prez Bucks you never know. >>

For a 90% Silver 1865 or 1966?

Now that would be sweet and totally possible. I wonder if anybody has ever bothered to check?

11.5 grams for the silver clad vs 12.5 grams for the 90 percenter. >>

I believe you meant1965.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you look at mintage numbers for dimes, quarters and halves you will see that the production of these coins all increased dramatically during the late fifties and early sixties. Because the economy was humming along, it was a given that more coinage was needed for circulation, but a coin shortage developed in spite of the higher production numbers. Increased coin production was a first attempt by the Treasury to alleviate the coin shortage.

The coin shortage was blamed in part on "coin collectors". I don't recall specifically, but there also might have been some concern that the strategic stockpile of silver would have to be tapped if coin production continued at that rate so Congress, in their infinite wisdom, decided to go the route of the Romans in debasing the coinage (halves) from 90% silver to 40% silver in 1965. Silver was entirely eliminated in the dimes and quarters in 1965. The coin shortage was also a factor in elimination of the mintmarks from 1965-1967, since collectors were less likely to hoard as many coins when there was only a single "plain vanilla" specimen to collect each year.

Back then, half dollars circulated regularly. But when the silver content was reduced or eliminated, the natural tendency was to "save" the silver coins and to put them away for posterity. This helped to prolong the coin shortage somewhat, but you could still find both 40% silver and 90% silver halves in circulation even into the early 1970's.

Along about that same time - the early 1970s, halves lost their utility and most people were using quarters anyway. So, as halves stopped circulating the silver halves disappeared, and by 1977 or 1978, you seldom got a clad half back in change anyway. So silver as a medium of exchange took about 10 years to wind down completely, even after it was eliminated from coinage. At least, that's how I remember it.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I don't believe anyone else has said this but for the years 1965-1970, Kennedy half dollars were 40% silver. Just thought I would throw that out there.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For a 90% Silver 1965 or 1966? >>

I think I remember a 65 on a 90% planchet for sale.
    Probably a very rare wrong planchet error?
    Ed
  • Options
    Here is yet a third version of the clad layers for you taken from the2007 Red Book.
    Outer layers of .800 silver and .200 copper
    Inner core of .209 silver and .791 copper.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file