Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I can't believe it. I finally found an original surface New Orleans $20 gold this last weekend. Now

1852-O XF 40 PCGS original surface coin. Almost two years of searching to find one and it was very fitting that a dealer based in the South had it. Anyone have an idea on a population of these? Damn, they are hard to find.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS report: 39 in XF-40, total of 335 graded, highest grade MS62 (6)

Note: only 12 each 1854-O's and 1856-O's have been graded by PCGS!

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TIMWOP
  • Options
    I can only dream of owning an 1854 or 1856-O, derryb image

This 1852-O completes a "at least one from each mint collection". It's much rarer than I thought per your PCGS report. I saw it in far right lower corner of a case at a coin show, somewhat hidden from view. I think the first words out of my mouth when I saw it was "Holy s@#t, I found one".
  • Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    kwmorgan, stop teasing us! image

Can you post a picture? This is one many would like to see.
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options
    My sincere apology. I don't have a decent camera set up yet. Thinking of checking one of those USB magnifiers out and if I get one I will certainly post it. This coin is definitely the king of my collection...for now...heheimage
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>TIMWOP >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>TIMWOP >>

image >>

Thread is Meaningless Without Pictures.
  • Options
    Pictures pictures pictures..............................................
  • Options
    CONGRATS--NEW ORLEANS $20 are a tough bugger to find unmolested in circ.. One of the things that is on my wish list
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations... very nice acquisition... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Doug Winter estimates that there are about 900 - 1100 1852-O double eagles: 308 - 382 in VF, 380 - 450 in XF, 200 - 250 in AU and 12 - 18 in Unc.

However, he also says "It is very hard to find an 1852-O dougle eagle with original color as most have been cleaned or dipped."

Nice find! I used to see the O-mint double eagles at some of the larger shows or in DW's inventory, but they quickly disappeared a few years ago, when their prices started to rise.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    Thanks for the complements and info, folks image

What I would say on the coin at this point is it really seems to have the "European bank" patina to it. It looks like one that got stuffed into the bags and shipped off to Switzerland or France for a few decades. Certainly not cleaned or dipped, IMHO.

JUst like RYK, I love old dirty gold image

My apology, the pics are lousy but will give you a general idea of how the coin looks. A small amount of die rotation to the reverse, or so it seems to me.

• Options
    Bump.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file