Home Precious Metals
Options

Pan American Silver - Why are those bars so much cheaper, and more available than JM and Engelhard?

jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
Why are Pan American silver bars so much more available and cheaper than the other big names? Isn't a 100 oz .999 fine silver bar the same regardless of who produced it?

Comments

• Options
    The Pan-American bars are being made as we speak by the NWTM co.

Engelhard bars have not been made for over 20 years.

The QUALITY of both bars is the same.

Folks just like Engelhard and JM more, and E & JM bars bring more at resale.

Just supply and demand.
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Options
    ARe you sure about not being made for 20 years? I've seen the new sealed bars with the american flag on the side of them. I would assume that these have been made in the past 7-8 years.
  • Options
    "Are you sure about not being made for 20 years? I've seen the new sealed bars with the american flag on the side of them. I would assume that these have been made in the past 7-8 years."

Yes.... Many Engelhard 100's came in the plastic flag sleeve from Engelhard.....

[just as an aside.... Engelhard shipped the 100's in 10 bars to a bank bag and in 10 bars to a wood box]
    [I still have one of the wood boxes]

A lot of these bars were bought and put away..... and some of them look mint fresh today!!

The reason so many 10's and 100's do not have the plastic sleeves/cases is that the plastic

was not very durable and was tore up with excessive handling and/or the

plastic is degrading with time..... I have bought "NEW" bars and had to pitch the plastic

because it was getting brittle [100's] or gooy [10's] with age.....

Keep on stack'n !! image
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Options
    I think the last time I took a look (last night) that even 100 oz Pan American silver bars are being back ordered at Northwest Terr. Mint......8-12 weeks.

I am sure the Engelhard and JM brand names are known by many more people...hence J6P wants a known brand name when buying.

Plus..the fact that most of the silver Pan American uses is from Mexico, Peru, Bolivia, and Argentina.....people shy away from it (as in non-USA product....un-patriotic...etc).

Seems to make no difference to me...as who knows where the Engel and JM silver really came from.

I would take the Pan Am silver if I could get it IN HAND now.....and the PRICE IS RIGHT!

RAH

• Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Engelhard was the victim of a hostile takeover by Germany's BASF a couple of years ago, but has not
    produced silver bars in about 20 years.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    is Gates still a big stock holder in Pam Am??? Anyone know...
  • Options

<< <i>Why are Pan American silver bars so much more available and cheaper than the other big names? Isn't a 100 oz .999 fine silver bar the same regardless of who produced it? >>

I guess its sorta like a 1964 roosie and an 1887 seated dime. Both have the same silver content, right?
  • Options

<< <i>The Pan-American bars are being made as we speak by the NWTM co.

Engelhard bars have not been made for over 20 years.

The QUALITY of both bars is the same.

Folks just like Engelhard and JM more, and E & JM bars bring more at resale.

Just supply and demand. >>

Not exactly.

Only Engelhard and J&M are recognized by the COMEX. That "seal of approval" means everything.

That isn't going to change.

That is the reason for the premium. Whosalers on down to B&M shops recognize it and that is passed on down to the general populace.

It's not just a matter of folks liking the premium brands over the generics.

J&M still makes bars, only the 100 ouncers and they are physically limited in that by their trimmed down operation.

They are churning more profit by making the pellets for jewelry and shipping them overseas.

"Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff