Home Precious Metals
Options

I need help putting value on this gold maple leaf...

How much would a 1980 Canadian 1 oz Gold Maple Leaf that shows hairlines from cleaning but otherwisw has UNC deatails be going for these days? Are these goign to go for around spot price or do they carry a premium?

Comments

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Most folks would likely want to buy it for a bit under SPOT.

If you think gold is going up, you might consider keeping it.

If you think gold is going down, you should sell it.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No premium for the 1 oz Canadian maple leaf gold coins.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the fact that it's 999 fine rather than 9999 fine effect dealer's buy price?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does the fact that it's 999 fine rather than 9999 fine effect dealer's buy price? >>

i have done a lot of reading on PM refiners and they are the only ones who
    actually seem to care and the people who buy from them do pay a different
    price. of course the buyers of this purer metal are not going to make coins/jewelry
    out of it in most cases and have other plans for it where purity matters. i am thinking
    about companies that buy chemicals/compunds and etc.. who would require certain specs for
    certain projects.

i cannot imagine a coin dealer ever caring. the difference in purity does not make
    a lick of difference to them.
  • Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    The hairlines and cleaning might make you lose a little value since they're easy to find uncirculated, but you'll still get spot or a little over for it on eBay if thats an option to you. I don't know if you've been following the metals market massacre lately, but It's not a great time to be selling. It's in the 700's right now, and just lost another buck while I was typing.image