Home U.S. Coin Forum

This is one expensive MULE - Next bid 160K!

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
The 1859 double headed indian mule is being offered by Heritage and current bid is already 140K. image

That's one lucky consignor. image

Link to 1859 IHC Mule
"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will you be buying it for me, Daddy?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    2 things,

1) You can take 6 months up to pay, so maybe I will bid.

B) I can't get the reverse pic to come up, I keep getting the obverse. So I will probably pass w/o a good pic of the reverse.

Rob
  • RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    Don't try to scare off your competitors, Tim.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holinone - how do you know the reverse won't come up?? It's a double obverse coin. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How did PCGS know which side was the obverse? Or is the obverse actually on the reverse of the slabimage
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This reminds me of an Abbot and Costello routine - 'Who's on first?' image Cheers, RickO

<< <i>Holinone - how do you know the reverse won't come up?? It's a double obverse coin. image >>

A few fries short of a Happy Meal.

An experiment in Artificial Stupidity.

A few beers short of a six-pack.

Dumber than a box of hair.

A few peas short of a casserole.

Doesn't have all his cornflakes in one box.

The wheel's spinning, but the hamster's dead.

One Fruit Loop shy of a full bowl.

One taco short of a combination plate.

A few feathers short of a whole duck.

All foam, no beer.

The cheese slid off his cracker.

Body by Fisher, brains by Mattel.

Has an IQ of 2, but it takes 3 to grunt.

Warning: Objects in mirror are dumber than they appear.

Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

He fell out of the Stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down.

An intellect rivaled only by garden tools.

As smart as bait.

Chimney's clogged.

Doesn't have all his dogs on one leash.

Doesn't know much but leads the league in nostril hair.

Elevator doesn't go all the way to the top floor.

Forgot to pay his brain bill.

Her sewing machine's out of thread.

His antenna doesn't pick up all the channels.

His belt doesn't go through all the loops.

If he had another brain, it would be lonely.

Missing a few buttons on his remote control.

No grain in the silo.

Proof that evolution CAN go in reverse.

Receiver is off the hook.

Several nuts short of a full pouch.

Skylight leaks a little.

Slinky's kinked.

Surfing in Nebraska.

Too much yardage between the goal posts.

In the pinball game of life, his flippers were a little further apart than most.

Irony was wasted , I guess.
    By the way, you think they would have also mentioned the one side looks broadstruck.

LOL

I guess that it will need re-slabbed and another $40 error fee.
  • DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC

• << <i>The 1859 double headed indian mule is being offered by Heritage and current bid is already 140K. image

That's one lucky consignor. image

Link to 1859 IHC Mule >>

Great coin and unique by all reports...........by the way the consignor is not really all that concerned about what the coin will bring because he died last December....but then again maybe he is more lucky then we are after all???????
    Fountain of Useless Information
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    My bid was good until someone bid more than 120K. image
    Irony was wasted , I guess.

Appreciate all the one liners. image
  • Too bad. I won't go a penny over 139K
    --->imageimageimageimage<---
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am amazed that that coin found its way into a slab. I saw it raw, and there is some serious damage on the edge. You can see a bit of the damage where it comes up onto the rim on one side.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Rob790Rob790 Posts: 547

<< <i>I am amazed that that coin found its way into a slab. I saw it raw, and there is some serious damage on the edge. You can see a bit of the damage where it comes up onto the rim on one side.
    TD >>

I can see something that looks like damage on one side. I guess rarity trumps rim damage.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can't get the reverse pic to come up, I keep getting the obverse. So I will probably pass w/o a good pic of the reverse. >>

POTD!!! imageimageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • 2 quick questions,

1: Would this be Eagle Eye photoseal worthy?
    2: Would this get a sticker?

Looking for Au Classic Commems...
    Also looking for VF-EF Seated halves.

Sell me your old auction catalogs...image
    1: Would this be Eagle Eye photoseal worthy?
    2: Would this get a sticker?

1. Who cares?
    2. Who cares?

image The coin is UNIQUE and UBER COOL.

The person who buys it needs to be secure in their OWN judgement. image
  • TavernTreasuresTavernTreasures Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if "MULE" is the correct numismatic term for this double headed coin.......???
    Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
    Zebra, perhaps?

Teichman and Lustig know alot more about patterns than I do. If they call it a mule, it's a mule to me. Here is the write up from USPatterns.com

This two-headed muling, a business striking - not a proof struck in copper-nickel, was recently rediscovered and was the subject of an article in the September 18, 2000 edition of Coin World. It had been submitted to ANACS for authentification.

This coin is probably tbe piece which was sold as lot 1532 of S. H. Chapman's sale of the Gable collection where it realized $20.00 - a huge sum for that time. It was purchased by Edgar H. Adams of Adams and Woodin fame.

It was later listed as AW318A in Green and Hewitts 1940 Priced Catalog of US Pattern Coins. It was also listed in the Mule section of Taxay's 1976 Comprehensive Encyclopedia.

We have assigned it the following Judd and Pollock numbers J229A/P273A. Please note that a followup article in Coin World describes this as a possible mint error.

The coin will appear at lot 4017A in Superior's October 2000 sale.

Photo courtesy of Superior.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Editor's Note: The coin realized an incredible $33,350.

<< <i>By the way, you think they would have also mentioned the one side looks broadstruck.

LOL

I guess that it will need re-slabbed and another $40 error fee. >>

Not Broadstruck... just MAD as that other obverse must be P.O.'d for being on the arse end of the coin. imageimage

MAD = Misaligned Dies. image
    Here's an article on the 1859 Mule IHC by Bruce Amspacher - November 14, 2000

Mint Errors Viewed by Many as the Ultimate Collectible I dig the title of this article imageimage

imageimage

Mint errors have always been an interesting aspect of the rare coin market. To some dealers these minting mistakes are only a fringe area that is intriguing but of no integral importance. To others, Mint errors are nearly the ultimate in numismatics. In recent months the intense publicity regarding the Sacagawea mules has pushed Mint errors to the forefront, and that has sparked interest in spectacular errors of other eras as well.

Two sensational Mint errors from the mid-19th century have recently been graded and authenticated by the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS). One is the only two-headed Mint error known to exist, while the other is the finest known Capped Die of its date and type.

An 1859 Indian cent with a dual obverse mule strike was certified as MS62 after submission to PCGS at the October Long Beach show. The pedigree of the coin can be traced to the 1930s, but it disappeared from the market for over 60 years before resurfacing at a Chicago coin show in June 2000.

The 1859 dual obverse mule is considered to be a Mint error rather than a pattern. Noted Indian cent expert Rick Snow has traced both obverse dies used to make the coin to other business strike coins.

"As far as I know this is the only two-headed coin to ever come out of the United States Mint with the exception of the pattern issues," said Fred Weinberg, who does authentication and descriptions on Mint errors for PCGS. "In addition, it is the earliest date mule coin known to exist."

A freshly discovered Capped Die error of major importance has also been certified by PCGS. An 1864 Small Motto two cent piece in MS66RB was recently graded and authenticated, and it considered to be the highest grade early Capped Die error known to exist.

"The coin is breathtaking," Weinberg said. "This is the fourth or fifth Capped Die two cent piece that I have seen in 35 years and it is easily the highest grade example. It is also the only Small Motto that I have seen or heard about."

Mint errors of this magnitude rarely appear on the market. "These coins go into major collections and stay there," Weinberg continued. "When I purchased the Bolt collection in 1974 there were dozens of major show-stopping Mint errors in that holding. In the past 25+ years only two or three pieces have reappeared on the market. These coins go into strong hands and remain with dedicated collectors for decades at a time."

The 1859 Dual Obverse cent was purchased by Laura Sperber of Legend Numismatics in Lincroft, New Jersey. "The second I saw that coin I knew I had to have it," said Sperber. "We bought the coin for the company without having a customer for it. We were just going to keep it for ourselves. Then, a major client heard about the coin and wanted it for his collection, so of course we sold it to him. Even when I bought and sold an 1885 Trade dollar it wasn't any more exciting than that 1859 cent."
    MULES From Coinfacts...

1859 DOUBLE-HEADED INDIAN HEAD CENT MULE

Notes:
    A single example of an 1859 Double-Headed Indian Head Cent is known. Experts believe that additional examples may exist because of the way the coin was struck.

According to Chris Pilliod, a blank die expected to be used as an "anvil" die (the reverse of the coin and the bottom die in a coining press) was accidentally fabricated as an obverse die. A small portion of the side of dies are ground flat, ensuring proper alignment in the coining press. Die-sinkers also use this "key" to properly align the dies for their purposes. Thus, a coin struck using an anvil die engraved with an obverse design would be expected to have a medal alignment, which is indeed the case with this 1859 Double-Headed Cent.

Additional examples may exist because this coin was produced as a normal business strike under normal (albeit exceptional) conditions.

Die alignment:
    Medal (approximately 170% off of the normal alignment for coins)

Die characteristics:
    Side 1 - left edges of the 1 of the date pointing to the right half of the denticle below. Broken R hub. Raised die dot between the B and E of LIBERTY.

Side 2 - left edge of the 1 of the date pointing to the center of the denticle below. Unbroken R hub. Raised die dot on the temple area just left of the earlobe. File mark.

Sources and/or recommended reading:
    "Researcher Says Two-Headed 1859 Indian Head Cent Not Mule", COIN WORLD, March 5, 2001
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awww Andy...that pic was hilarious!
  • Holy crap, how high will something like this go?
    -Rome is Burning

<< <i>Holy crap, how high will something like this go? >>

To The Moon Alice! image
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only one side gets a Photo Seal. image
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

<< <i>Only one side gets a Photo Seal. image >>

What about the damaged edge?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • lloydmincylloydmincy Posts: 1,861
    im high bidder. Come and go after me!!! OK, someone SECONDS AGO outbid me... image
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

<< <i>I wouldn't pay that kind of a price for 1/2 a coin....................you only see the obverse.

Stefanie >>

It's a great bar coin... bet it works better then a breathalyzer! imageimage
  • Really neat coin. This must be the most expensive error coin I have ever seen. And I've seen Mike Byers' inventory before!
    A lie told often enough becomes the truth. ~Vladimir Lenin
    Sold for $195,500 with buyer's premium.

The world's most expensive heavily damaged coin!

TD

<< <i>Sold for $195,500 with buyer's premium.

The world's most expensive heavily damaged coin!

TD >>

CaptHenway... that's just mean! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file