Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

A big thank you to Rogermnj: LIVE RIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last week, Roger and I had a verbal altercation on these boards. Let's call it a fight, because that's really what it was. If we were face to face, punches would have been thrown. After cooling off and thinking it through, Roger decided to bury the hatchett and send me a pack of cards from the heavily collected and immensely popular set we were arguing about: 1994 Pinnacle baseball series 2. I'm not sure how he was able to track one of these down because I've only seen pictures in old SCDs, so you could imagine my pleasure when I opened my mail today. Not only that, but the pack is wrapped a little differently so I think it might be one of the rare "Hot Packs" that are filled with only rare inserts and variations. My hands are trembling as I'm holding it right now. Enough talking, let's open this baby up!!!!

Comments

• CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    You're not going to believe the cards I pulled. Here are the highlights:

- Jay Powell "Happyface" version
    - Carlos Delgado "Cut in Half" parallel
    - Darrell Whitmore "Cut in Quarters" parallel
    - CLiff Floyd authentic auto
    - Andujar Cedeno wrapped in plastic wrap
    - Mike Gallego "Star Die-Cut" parallel
    - Mike MacFarlane "Butt Face" error- rumor has it that Mark Gubicza thought it would be funny to write Butt Face on his arm while he wasn't looking
    - Tim Pugh Game used packing peanut
    - Keith Mitchell "Piranha biting the crotch" rare variation

I can barely breathe right now I'm so excited!!!

• samspopsamspop Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    That Pugh is incredible...will you take $100.00 for it? I know it is a little under book, but that is all I have in PayPal right now.

You state that it is a packing peanut G/U, but I think it looks like it may be the rare toilet paper version NUMBERED /2!!
  • I swear to God i have a different Butt Face version of that card....
  • simply amazing! congrats!
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Not sure, but I think that Cliff Floyd auto is a fake, send it in and keep your fingers crossed its real....lol

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
    Guys, please hold your offers. My pm box is full since I started this thread. Also, Mastro and Mile High have a bidding war going on for the right to feature these cards in their next auction.

Another thank you to Roger for his amazing generosity. People like him are the reason these forums are so great!

• << <i>Mike MacFarlane "Butt Face" error- rumor has it that Mark Gubicza thought it would be funny to write Butt Face on his arm while he wasn't looking >>

Too bad you didn't get the black box or white out versions.
  • RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭
    AWESOME.
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭
    - Andujar Cedeno wrapped in plastic wrap
    WOW, I've heard rumors about that card, but I've never seen one. Looks like you got the 'Clear' version. The 'Green' version that they put out only in the holiday boxes is the hardest to find since the Holiday boxes were only released in Billings, Montana.

Also, nice pull on the Carlos Delgado "Cut in Half" parallel. If anyone has the "Cut in eighths" version let me know.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Lee your kindergarden teacher must be smiling. I like the star.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    dynamic
    RIP GURU
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Man, that Kevin Mitchell was a hell of a player! Catching balls bare-handed, taking piranhas to the junk, cutting the heads off of small animals....that's what I call an all-around athelete!
  • mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    I may need to buy me a pack of those!
  • detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭✭
    Without a doubt, the funniest post of 2008 thus far. And as per usual with CDsNuts, even though I read the boards regularly, I can never really figure out if the purported tension actually exists. Did CD and Roger really have a verbal altercation? Much like whether or not Nam and CD hate each, I just don't know.

In any case, the Keith Mitchell piranha card now surpasses the 1982 Fleer Glenn Hubbard boa constrictor card as my favorite card depicting marine / reptile life. And what are the odds that the piranha would be positioned thusly?

Oh crap, its KEITH Mitchell!! Not Kevin. Then I take it all back...just catching balls bare-handed and cutting the heads off of small animals isn't enough to warrant superstar status.

<< <i>Without a doubt, the funniest post of 2008 thus far. And as per usual with CDsNuts, even though I read the boards regularly, I can never really figure out if the purported tension actually exists. Did CD and Roger really have a verbal altercation? Much like whether or not Nam and CD hate each, I just don't know.

In any case, the Keith Mitchell piranha card now surpasses the 1982 Fleer Glenn Hubbard boa constrictor card as my favorite card depicting marine / reptile life. And what are the odds that the piranha would be positioned thusly?

image >>

There's no telling what additional creatures are lurking in that beard.
  • detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭✭
    And by the way, I'm no James Spence, but I have to break it to you Lee that the Cliff Floyd card was actually signed by Mark Gubicza. Either that, or Cliff Floyd is the one that penned "Butt Face" on MacFarlane's arm. One way or the other, those "F's" were written by the same person.
  • onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    Jesus Lee.... this is friggin' hilarious! Thanks for the laugh! I'm just glad you didn't get the 'Chris Sabo wearing lady's underpants' parallel.

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

Truth be told, I got it on with nam's sister a few years back and he's never forgiven me.

• << <i>Truth be told, I got it on with nam's sister a few years back and he's never forgiven me. >>

I shouldnt read this stuff at work. When i start laughing at my computer, its bad for business image

Great stuff Lee, even better of Roger (new tiger avatar) to send those to you

joe
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    w00t!
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Is Tim Pugh's fly open??
    Why are you looking at his crotch? Please stop derailing my thread with your depraved impulses.
  • Definitely the most humorous thread of the year thus far. NEXT to the one the guy started about dumpster diving for Babe Ruth cards...
    Atlanta Braves, Charlotte Hornets, Shawn Kemp, Dale Murphy, and Bobby Engram.
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Truth be told, I got it on with nam's sister a few years back and he's never forgiven me. >>

Have you even seen my sister? Yuck, thats just nasty.
  • If only Roger would share his "hot pack" secrets I could go to Walmart and pray I could find a pack with such rare pulls. Congrats Lee, git em slabbed.
    Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Truth be told, I got it on with nam's sister a few years back and he's never forgiven me. >>

show that picture...

you know the one you posted on myspace...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭
    $12
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I thought that was the rare Tim Pugh "light switch cover" parallel at first, but the game used packing peanut is even better.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
    You are so freaking lucky Lee. I pulled the less rare whiteout MacFarlane.

• thedutymonthedutymon Posts: 4,323
    Good Evening,
    Priceless Lee.....image
    Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭
    i was unable to see the photos at work (photobucket is blocked). i just now saw these with my wife and they were hilarious. i am rolling.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

<< <i>You are so freaking lucky Lee. I pulled the less rare whiteout MacFarlane.

image >>

That's hilarious
  • samspopsamspop Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    Lee and Nick:

Both of you guys are lucky. I have purchased 3 cases of this stuff and have pulled only the common scribble (scanned here). I have 227 of them if anyone needs any. Just shoot me a PM.

• SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    My son is asking why I'm cracking up and I don't know what to tell him -

"Molon Labe"

<< <i>......Also, nice pull on the Carlos Delgado "Cut in Half" parallel. If anyone has the "Cut in eighths" version let me know. >>

Here it is, how much is it worth to you?

Edited to add: 27 of the corners are razor sharp with only 5 of the corners showing the slightest hint of wear.
  • This is why people make weird faces at us when we say we collect cards.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
    BUMP........one of the funniest threads ever
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    omg. i'm retrololing.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the bump! Hilarious.
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised none of these cards ever hit the open market. I hate when jewels like these are hidden away in private collections never to be seen again.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Another example of Lee's genius
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    This thread is a veritable roll call of CU's faded glory.
  • I'm calling Lee today to see if he still has that Mitchell piranha crotch still in inventory! I was laughing so hard reading this tears were running down my face.

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭

<< <i>BUMP........one of the funniest threads ever >>

Agreed. If you are not LYAO, something is wrong with you. lol

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classic stuff there. I miss Lee and Nick. Those guys are first ballot CU HOFers.
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>......Also, nice pull on the Carlos Delgado "Cut in Half" parallel. If anyone has the "Cut in eighths" version let me know. >>

Here it is, how much is it worth to you?

Edited to add: 27 of the corners are razor sharp with only 5 of the corners showing the slightest hint of wear. >>

PM Sent.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sitting in a restaurant earlier today and people are thinking I am strange when they see me laughing reading my IPad. If they could have seen this thread they would have done the same - bravo!image