Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would you still consider Barber's "sleepers?"

I remember several years ago, everyone refered to Barber's as "sleepers"... coins that were greatly undervalued and would soon have a large price increase.

Would you still consider them to be sleepers? Seems like over the last couple years they've undergone a significant price increase for the quality, rare material.

Comments

• Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    no, not anymore. Prices have really taken off recently on key dates, semi key dates and even quality common stuff
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    The key dates certainly aren't sleepers anymore....and I don't think any of the semi-keys really are either...anything certified probably isn't a sleeper, but if you find decent material out of slab you might be able to pay a "sleeper" price for it.

Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Just the opposite. They are hot. --Jerry
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

From what the more veteran Barber members have said, the higher graded material is still asleep... image

The price guides have not caught up with the reality of what the keys and semi keys are actually selling for
    and regardless of the newer prices being posted they are severely undervalued.

There are only a few dozen dyed-in-the-wool Barber collectors on the PCGS Registry - and a few of us have - or have had - multiple sets goins at one time. Should there ever be a resurgence in collecting Barber material as there is for Buffalo Nickels the prices for original Barber coins - almost inclusive of all grades - would skyrocket.

I'm always searching for upgrades in all three series and am pleased that they are still reasonably priced
    considering their rarity.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're not sleepers anymore, esp. the rare dates and high grades. I suppose they are sleepers to those people who believe the values in all of the price guides are accurate, though. image

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. If anything, extensive hoarding of circulated Barbers has probably made them overpriced at the moment. I don't follow the mint state examples and don't know if any hoarding has gone on with them.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    I do think nice barbers in true fine or better are under priced up to xf, they are typicaly not easy to find totaly problem free even the common dates one has to search for an example 8 out of ten have cleaning or some damage.
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    As someone who is very friendly with a number of the most serious Barber collectors I can tell you that they are sleepers howver when a really good one comes along everyone is AWAKE!

This is an undervalued area of the market...especially the really nice NATURAL toned better dates.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Barber dime registry set has probably gone DOWN in value over the last two years. Show me another area in classic coins where you could own a near-complete set of PCGS certified coins and actually lose money in this market. BU Barbers are expensive, and only a few people collect them.
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My Barber dime registry set has probably gone DOWN in value over the last two years. Show me another area in classic coins where you could own a near-complete set of PCGS certified coins and actually lose money in this market. BU Barbers are expensive, and only a few people collect them. >>

What's your grade average? Makes a BIG difference.
  • Options
    I'm not old or experienced enough in the series to know whether problem free examples in VF+ used to be really easy to find and have just been hoarded and not made it into slabs, or whether there are actually as few of them in existence as the populations would suggest, but it seems to me that at least with the quarters, there are still plenty of sleepers out there.

I'm only into VF-XF stuff though, not really MS stuff. I just collect them because I like their appearance.

The rise in price of the 1909-O should tell the tale though. If there's really that much hoarded stuff out there in VF+ that hasn't made it into slabs, this date should be the next to show it.

The 1914-s has been more expensive for some time now and only shows signs of having higher populations in the G-VG material only, ... anything above that, has not made it into holders despite the higher prices to any meaningful degree. A few here and there in F and VF perhaps. If I'm wrong please let me know. image

I do know one thing... given the choice between say, this 1890-CC morgan dollar I'm looking at on heritage in PCGS MS64 with a population of a staggering 1837 by PCGS alone with some 250 higher, that sold for $1500, and.. let's use a recent expensive example, that 1909-o barber quarter that just sold for $1400 on ebay in XF-40 that is a POP 2 with 46 higher, I know what my choice will be.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    As a major series, I would take any period of resting as
    a buy opportunity. As Mad Money would say, "BUY, BUY, BUY"
    Such a rest period in a fairly active market ,allows you a
    greater selection of coins to select from.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the dimes. Certainly not the quarters or halves.

Not a whole lot is sleeping these days. image
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Like any series, the nice looking examples and semi key and above are all doing well. The common dipped out blast stuff is just that, common.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    I do agree the dimes are more underrated and still reasonable and can be found much easier in nice condition.
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    No, you see quite a few people looking for Barber stuff in various grades at most shows.....

The one exception would be mint state material.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not anymore, and certainly not in midgrade condition (halves mostly). I think in MS, Barbers are still very scarce for the price for certain issues, but even in MS, prices have risen substantially. There might even be a bit of an overreaction on certain dates. The late date 1913-1915 halves in G-Fine are definitely overpriced. I wouldn't spend the money for any grade 1904-S Fine or higher based on the current market prices.

Tyler

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I wouldn't spend the money for any grade 1904-S Fine or higher based on the current market prices.

Tyler >>

....Now, thanks to JJ Teaparty's latest pricelist you can include VG10 in that group....$309????????

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    There are alot of you that know more about the series than I do, but I think that, yes, they are hot, I think they are just waking up and shaking the cobwebs out, because they are going to get much hotter. A nice Barber of ANY denomination is sweet. I got an absolutely SWEET '97 dime, deeeeep purple on obverse, blast white on reverse, NGC 64, and its an easy 65, and its going to 65 at PCGS, though I dont know why it didnt get a star, unless it was slabbed before the starred PQ examples. I think theres alot of green to come in all the price lists.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep all 3 series 10/25/50 are tough sets to finish, and from AU up even some of the common R1 have lower then expected pop's after 20+ years of entombing.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    I've been looking at Barbers for quite q while now. WOW! They seem way to expensive
    even in low grades. Will Have to wait a while to see what happens...
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, what do you know, a fresh PCGS Price Guide increase for just one Barber Half in XF 40: the 1904-O, from $450 all the way up to $600.

Still a sleeper.image
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    how is a 1913-S Barber Half in MS-65

as to rarity and undervalue?
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(At least until I get the last two Barber halves I need to finish my set) image

Steve
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    IMO, they are all overpriced. So, no, I dont think they are sleepers. Plus lets get back to the basics, they are about the most boring coinage ever produced by the US Mint.image
  • Options
    I have considered them kind of expensive lately. Plus, they aren't that rare unless you compare them to Morgans and Lincolns.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barbers are extremely ugly, especially the quarters. Overpriced by 400 to 500% too!

Ugly! (did I already say that?).

Please, DO NOT COLLECT THESE DOGS!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plus lets get back to the basics, they are about the most boring coinage ever produced by the US Mint.

Taste for Barbers is definitely an acquired one.I think Barber was inspired by the French coinage.If you compare his rendition of "Liberty" to that on French coins of this era you will see similarities.

There are no sleepers in any of the Barber series,in my opinion. It is well-known that many of these dates are very tough to find but still, they seem to me to be mostly fully priced and some seem to be overpriced.

What are you gonna do,though? To acquire some of the Barber dates you have to allow yourself to be in the mode of not caring about how much you pay.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, correctly graded Unc. Barber halves have not been sleepers in the last ten years. You find a nice one in 5, and you ALWAYS had to pay over greysheet ask. Doesn't matter if it's type or the many better dates.

Rhedden is right about the dimes. In MS 65, most of the type coins were a good 25% or more expensive ten years ago than they are now.

Re the quarters, it depends. The S mint coins have never been cheap in MS 65, assuming you could find them. Any of them. Philadelphia mint quarters in 5 and 6 haven't gone anywhere in the last several years. I have not followed New Orleans coinage in this series, so I can't comment about it.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes ugly and fugly and everyone should sell their coins at greysheet ASAP! image

Here's the Model that posed for Mr. Barber image

imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BarbercoinBarbercoin Posts: 886 ✭✭✭
    Some of the semi-key quarter prices have gone way too high for me. I'll have to wait out the storm. If they continue to rise, I'll have to either lower my grade or switch series. My dollar only goes so far.

WTB: Barber Quarters XF

• Options
    I can't believe what the price of this 1897-s PCGS F-12 is going for on ebay considering I just got my PCGS XF-40 not more then a month ago for $450. Sure it's a nice piece, but mine is no slouch either, though it's not completely problem free.

LINK

I guess buying barber quarters from sites and reselling them on ebay could be a profitable venture.
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    I have always been surprised at how much money these
    bring when compared to much lower pop. seated coins.
    The last few auctions I've watched are just amazing for
    the bidding action and prices. you would think they are bidding
    on seated dollars or something. image
  • Options
    USCGCraigUSCGCraig Posts: 1,005 ✭✭
    Shhhh. Quiet. Nothing to see around here. Move along.

Obi Wan Kenobi--You don't like Barber Material!

Collector-I don't like Barber material

Obi Wan-Move along to Morgans

Collector-I'll move along to Morgans..........
    Coast Guard Craig

Looking for Denmark 1874 20-Kroner. Please offer.
  • Options
    $438 for a F-12!

I guess I better keep my mouth shut, I wouldn't want all my favorite online dealers to start listing them all on ebay rather then setting a specific price on their sites. image

You're right, the seated stuff is an even better bargain, and I bought some last year, but it's not just supply but demand, as barbers are a newer series, I believe that interest in them will cause the prices to perform better then seated stuff.. but who cares, collect what you love! Barbers are pretty coins, too! (as are seated)

• Options
    $438 for a F-12!

I guess I better keep my mouth shut, I wouldn't want all my favorite online dealers to start listing them all on ebay rather then setting a specific price on their sites. image

You're right, the seated stuff is an even better bargain, and I bought some last year, but it's not just supply but demand, as barbers are a newer series, I believe that interest in them will cause the prices to perform better then seated stuff.. but who cares, collect what you love! Barbers are pretty coins, too! (as are seated)

<< <i>Shhhh. Quiet. Nothing to see around here. Move along.

Obi Wan Kenobi--You don't like Barber Material!

Collector-I don't like Barber material

Obi Wan-Move along to Morgans

Collector-I'll move along to Morgans.......... >>

• Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    But how many people actually collect Seated material?

1/4 the number of collectors?
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    I've often wondered about the seated conage being less popular, but face it, the barber series (whether or not you like the design) is short and sets can be assembled much easier than the forever long seated sets. The barber dimes and halves can be completed in good for less than a king's ransom, but the quarters have the 01-S that has gotten very expensive, such that by itself it costs as much as full sets of dimes and halves in good. The 96-S and 13-S are pricey among the quarters, but less so. The seated series, in contrast, has many very tough dates if one tries to put together a complete date and mint run.

The barber coins also span a time of history that isn't as distant, and some of these coin circulated even into the 1950"s and 1960's, still within the lifetimes of many current collectors. My maternal grandparents were born in 1886 and 1898 which include times of seated and barber material.
    Dr. Pete

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file