Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ohhhhh ok. He's got the 08W's for under issue. Picking up some.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I give up. This one is beyond my comprehension.
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Besides the coin we just sold, I believe we have two others, and that's it. We're virtually out of NGC product as well, but do have
    some (not big quantity) on the way and hope to restock soon. Thanks,
    John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    Looks like prices are coming down now. I've been closely following the raws and a few days ago they peaked at around $320. Sales today have been around $280. Any guesses on how low these will go before they bottom out?
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>Looks like prices are coming down now. I've been closely following the raws and a few days ago they peaked at around $320. Sales today have been around $280. Any guesses on how low these will go before they bottom out? >>

more auctions are set up to close on eBay on Sundays than any other day of the week.. i wouldn't base a price trend by looking at Sunday auction closings..
    announcing my 500nd post contest!.. when will i post my 500rd message here?.. guess the exact time and day and.. uhh.. nevermind..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    I just watch a raw sell for $390.00 on the bay....WOW! Item number: 160240457663
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just watch a raw sell for $390.00 on the bay....WOW! Item number: 160240457663 >>

It looks like 2 bidders ran it up from about $280.

Another one ended for a lot of 3 for $960.

I was hoping to pick it up for around $900

Joe
  • Options
    cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489

<< <i>Ohhhhh ok. He's got the 08W's for under issue. Picking up some. >>

I purchased a couple for 48 bucks shipped...SUMORADA would be the forum member watch for his BST listings
    He was selling them for 22 dollars if you bought 100 at a time..I have to respect the method of getting rid of the 08/08
    instead of just returning them to the mint..
  • Options
    $270.99 a raw just sold for. Here is the item number: 190223155655

Any predictions here where we will bottom out with these? I was in around the $190 range for a few of these and I want to add more, but it looks like the downtrend has begun now and like the stock market you don't know where the bottom is or else like the old saying goes we would all be rich if we knew. Are there anymore coin magazines coming out that havn't focused on these yet? This might help a little. Are the days of $300 or more for raws over with?

ANother one just sold for $268.55.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Buy now! In a few months the price will be higher. I have some on the bay now and when they expire they will be going into the safe along with my 11 PCGS MS69 , my PCGS MS70 and NGC MS 70 for a few years down the line. On to the next mint goof.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    heh speculation. i can feel it.

neat variety... but talking about the price every five minutes makes
    me think speculation. pitboss.. you last post feels like it so much.
    not to pick on you but reread what you just said.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>heh speculation. i can feel it.

neat variety... but talking about the price every five minutes makes
    me think speculation. pitboss.. you last post feels like it so much.
    not to pick on you but reread what you just said. >>

Damn you, fc. I vowed not to open the thread to see what all the hubbub was. I saw that you had posted and could not stand not knowing what your contribution was. imageimage
  • Options
    With a claimed 47,000 this will be a key like the 95W. You'll have to have it to complete a set. Seems like a good guess right now.
  • Options
    packers88

Non-sense!
  • Options
    BurnieBurnie Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    Sunday's seem to have more offerings of these coins ending and prices have been softer, however plenty of raw's have sold in the $300 + range today. Actually there is a raw which still has more than an hour to run currently at $316.00. From what I have seen these coins will continue to trend upward. I have predicted earlier that these coins (raw) will be in the $500-$700 range by the end of the summer, and I still believe that.

Like em or not, understand the interest or not, these coins are here to stay and I believe they will continue to be sought after by collectors. If this was just a flash in the pan, overhyped coin we would not have seen prices continue to climb like we have these last few weeks. There is a lot of interest in this coin and many people have demonstrated their long term commitment to the coin by paying high premimums for both raw and graded types.

Regardless of where these coins finally rest, these types of "errors" are good for coin collecting, they generate renewed interest in a well collected series from existing collectors and they bring in new collectors, which is always a good thing.
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$270.99 a raw just sold for. Here is the item number: 190223155655

Any predictions here where we will bottom out with these? I was in around the $190 range for a few of these and I want to add more, but it looks like the downtrend has begun now and like the stock market you don't know where the bottom is or else like the old saying goes we would all be rich if we knew. Are there anymore coin magazines coming out that havn't focused on these yet? This might help a little. Are the days of $300 or more for raws over with?

ANother one just sold for $268.55. >>

Sounds you want to talk your self into waiting...... before buying... the 2008/07 will be a much better keeper than the 2006 20th Gold anniv set..image
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>packers88

Non-sense! >>

image A nut case!image
  • Options
    evsiteevsite Posts: 141 ✭✭

<< <i>packers88

Non-sense! >>

Your going to go insane drawing conclusions from price fluctuations every 5 minutes.....
    Did you forget about all the coins that went over 320 today????
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    140 auctions
    -69 48/140 34.3%
    -70 22/140 15.7
    Other 70/140 50.0
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Like em or not, understand the interest or not, these coins are here to stay and I believe they will continue to be sought after by collectors. If this was just a flash in the pan, overhyped coin we would not have seen prices continue to climb like we have these last few weeks. There is a lot of interest in this coin and many people have demonstrated their long term commitment to the coin by paying high premimums for both raw and graded types.

Regardless of where these coins finally rest, these types of "errors" are good for coin collecting, they generate renewed interest in a well collected series from existing collectors and they bring in new collectors, which is always a good thing. >>

Considering that the entire history of this coin - from discovery through the prices climbing these "last few weeks" - spans less than two months, it's kind of premature to say the thing is not a "flash in the pan".

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Like em or not, understand the interest or not, these coins are here to stay and I believe they will continue to be sought after by collectors. If this was just a flash in the pan, overhyped coin we would not have seen prices continue to climb like we have these last few weeks. There is a lot of interest in this coin and many people have demonstrated their long term commitment to the coin by paying high premimums for both raw and graded types.

Regardless of where these coins finally rest, these types of "errors" are good for coin collecting, they generate renewed interest in a well collected series from existing collectors and they bring in new collectors, which is always a good thing. >>

Considering that the entire history of this coin - from discovery through the prices climbing these "last few weeks" - spans less than two months, it's kind of premature to say the thing is not a "flash in the pan". >>

It is also premature to say it is just hype also.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Considering that the entire history of this coin - from discovery through the prices climbing these "last few weeks" - spans less than two months, it's kind of premature to say the thing is not a "flash in the pan". >>

Actually, it's premature to say it is also. --Jerry
  • Options
    SaamSaam Posts: 476 ✭✭✭
    Okay folks, here is the update for the coins I ordered. Fifteen ordered on 04-29; shipped 05-08 and delivered today! Only one out of the fifteen was an '07 reverse. Still happy about getting one but wish it would have been more. Still waiting for the outcome of the First Stikes I sent to PCGS that were ordered on 03-17. Keeping my fingers crossed, wish me luck!
  • Options
    SaamSaam Posts: 476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Okay folks, here is the update for the coins I ordered. Fifteen ordered on 04-29; shipped 05-08 and delivered today! Only one out of the fifteen was an '07 reverse. Still happy about getting one but wish it would have been more. Still waiting for the outcome of the First Stikes I sent to PCGS that were ordered on 03-17. Keeping my fingers crossed, wish me luck! >>

PS
    The one 2007 reverse I did get is the best looking coin I have seen out of 25! Hopefully it will be a 70! image
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    FYI My order that was packed on 5/13 was 0 for 4.

I have another 8 that were packed on 5/12 that I'm still hoping for 1 or 2 strays.
    I have to pick it up later (was delivered a day earlier than my 0 for 4 but didn't fit in my mailbox).

Does seem like the well has finally run dry now. Like others have said here recently, seems like
    the coins being found from the Mint today were early returns before the discovery or perhaps a
    few that fell behind the racks in the Memphis.

Time for the price to really rise in the next few months I believe.
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

I received (5) boxes today for a total of (99) coins .....0 for 99...........pack dates were 14th,15th,16th..
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    ouch, that amount of money would have bought a lot of bait and ice...

everytime I see Sumorada's icon I think about getting out on the water, blue water. Maybe a little bay action, too. (!!!)
  • Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I received (5) boxes today for a total of (99) coins .....0 for 99...........pack dates were 14th,15th,16th.. >>

....and what do you plan to do with 99 coins?
    still waiting for mine ordered 5/5 shipped 5/8 (shipped? where is it?)
    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options
    NGC Pop as of today: an increase of 1409 to 10173

2008 W EAGLE S$1 REVERSE OF 2007 MS 3342 1632 1710
    2008 W EAGLE REV OF 07 S$1 EARLY RELEASES MS 6831 1 3747 3083

• Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797
    NGC Pop as of today: an increase of 1409 to 10173

Thats not very many...................................................................................................image
  • Options
    Rachel just sold an MS 70 FS for $2,144.99 about an hour ago.
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone noticed that the 2008-W Unciruclated AES $1s are packaged in two distinct Mint boxes?

I ordered 5 on March 24 and all 5 were shipped in a box slightly larger in height but shallower than the traditional Proof AES box, yet similar to earlier W-mint Unc. issues. The width is the same as the Proof box, but the height is slightly greater and the box is shallower. The color also has a shade more purple than the deeper, shorter boxes.

Prior to 2006 the deeper Proof boxes had the box-lid letters orientated in Portrait, just like the uncirculated boxes do today. From 2006 the Proof box-lid letters are now oriented in Landscape but the box dimensions are the same

I don't know if the packaging is any indication of the likelihood of getting an '08/'07 or '08/'08. But my first order was 5/5 '08/'07s and all were in the shallow boxes. My second order was and 0/5 '08/'07 and was 4/5 in the deeper proof-like boxes.

The UPC bar code is also different in both composition and position as are the capsule holders inside the boxes.

"Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    Been there...done that. I posted a while ago my "find" and pictures of the box differences and the relation to 08/07's. It didn't hold H2O since I have rec'd 08/07's in both types (thick and thin) and with side/back, horizontal/vertical bar codes. ... random occurrence
  • Options

<< <i>Been there...done that. I posted a while ago my "find" and pictures of the box differences and the relation to 08/07's. It didn't hold H2O since I have rec'd 08/07's in both types (thick and thin) and with side/back, horizontal/vertical bar codes. ... random occurrence >>

Wasn't that discussed like 1500 posts ago? image

It is interesting that there are 2 different boxes. Leftovers from 07?
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>NGC Pop as of today: an increase of 1409 to 10173

Thats not very many...................................................................................................image >>

With 47k estimated, from the mint, and that being ONLY NGC's current, recognized population, why do you think 22% isn't that much?
    How many do you think are PCGS?
    How many are in the pipeline to be graded?
    How many will be kept raw?

I think 22% graded by NGC, so soon, is a pretty big number.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    I've got two and they are sized the same, but the barcodes look like: imageimage
  • Options
    (2) Different types of Boxes have been going on since the 2006 W Z6F. I think they are using two suppliers.
  • Options
    cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489

<< <i>I received (5) boxes today for a total of (99) coins .....0 for 99...........pack dates were 14th,15th,16th.. >>

Another BST listing for 2 dollars under issue with free shipping in the near future???????image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

still waiting for mine ordered 5/5 shipped 5/8 (shipped? where is it?) >>

If it was shipped, then it has to make its way from Memphis down to New Orleans and then head out for the Panama Canal! That can add a week or two to the delivery time!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

still waiting for mine ordered 5/5 shipped 5/8 (shipped? where is it?) >>

If it was shipped, then it has to make its way from Memphis down to New Orleans and then head out for the Panama Canal! That can add a week or two to the delivery time! >>

So your saying it's on its way.... whew.
    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Considering that the entire history of this coin - from discovery through the prices climbing these "last few weeks" - spans less than two months, it's kind of premature to say the thing is not a "flash in the pan". >>

It is also premature to say it is just hype also. >>

You need to look at this in a way ..those that don't have or weren't lucky enough to get the 2008/.07 from the Mint will say this is just a flash in the pan but those that did image
  • Options
    My order of May 9th came today - 0 for 6. Oh well.

Package was a shambles, two with no coins, two with two coins. Four boxes with no tops. Go figure.
    Spare your best friend's life!! Adopt an adult dog at your local "kill" animal shelter. You will be changed.
  • Options
    Are there any more thoughts of the shiney ones to the matte ones, or did I miss the verdict on that issue?
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • Options
    Recieved 0/2, however the reverse does seem to be shiney. Almost looks like a reverse proof!!! Do you think these will grade differently?
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Wow there are a lot of posts in this thread. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>NGC Pop as of today: an increase of 1409 to 10173

Thats not very many...................................................................................................image >>

With 47k estimated, from the mint, and that being ONLY NGC's current, recognized population, why do you think 22% isn't that much?
    How many do you think are PCGS?
    How many are in the pipeline to be graded?
    How many will be kept raw?

I think 22% graded by NGC, so soon, is a pretty big number. >>

I think people are grading them before they SPOT.

I know I've got 13 MS70s already... image
  • Options
    KaelasdadKaelasdad Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭
    Today was a good day, I sold 1 raw for $400 and an NGC MS69 for $350, Id say the market was fine. As for the shiny vs matte issue--the raw one was advertised as shiny and it got the $400.

• Options
    encoin just sold a BIN MS70 FS for $2,500
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<encoin just sold a BIN MS70 FS for $2,500 >>

I too was watching that one, the next step is what $3000?

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i><<encoin just sold a BIN MS70 FS for $2,500 >>

I too was watching that one, the next step is what $3000? >>

Nope, the next step is....

(I hope) image

-Paul

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights