Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    What is the history behind these? I was under the impression that they were not used during Mr. Lincoln's war, but struck after the war of northern agression because the minter was afraid of being sent to prison as he was from Philadelphia.
    Tom

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "......but struck after the war of northern agression " ??????????????????? Cheers, RickO
  • Don't get a Lib started-they spit venom !!
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a nutshell, Robert Lovett, a Philadelphia die maker, was 'contracted' to design the cent for the confederacy. Very shortly therefter, it became law not to do any business with the south. Lovett made between 12 and 16 of these, and hid them away in his cellar. In 1873, Lovett spent one of them, possibly this very one, by mistake, after carrying it in his pocket for some time. It made its way to a phila coin dealer, who recognized lovetts work, and after much haggleing, bought the dies and restruck about 70 pieces in copper, gold and silver. these are the Haseltine restrikes, which command prices of 25K and up.

All in all, this in indeed a very great rarity. The last one I know of that was offered for sale was to Ira Stein for about 100K last year.

There is an excellent well researched book on these coins, , The Lovett Cent, A Confederate Story by Harold Levi and George Corell. Good reading!!!

(Im at a loss to explain the PF61 grade, since this coin has obvious wear. Last I heard it was graded XF)
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What is the history behind these? >>

Check out the text of the eBay auction and RebelStatesCurrency.com. I believe Haseltine is the only one that was promoting the story and that no one has corroborated it. There's also no documentation as to who ordered the pieces and when they were made. Some people consider Haseltine's word and examination of the pieces enough to classify these as patterns. Others need more evidence and consider them to be fantasy coins. In any event, they are very cool pieces from a well known figure. Lovett also made and struck many tokens.

For posterity, here's the info from eBay:

<< <i>From the Old Roswell Mill Collection. Although this claim cannot be proven at this time, we believe that the offered coin is Robert Lovett, Jr.'s pocket piece that he accidentally spent at a tavern one winter night in 1873. Lovett, a jeweler and engraver from Philadelphia, was approached by agents of the Confederacy before the war began in 1861. He was contracted out to design a one cent piece for circulation in the Confederacy, but after fear of being caught and convicted for treason, Lovett buried his dies and handful of coins in his cellar. However, Lovett kept one as a pocket piece which he accidentally spent in 1873 while he was inebriated at a bar. The bartender allegedly sold the coin to a collector who passed it along to Capt. John W. Hazeltine. The former Civil War captain recognized the handiwork as Lovett's and proceeded to locate the jeweler and visit him until Lovett sold the captain the remaining coins and the dies. With that story, we believe that the presently offered coin has Lovett's pocket piece spent at the tavern. The coin has a sweated appearance, consistent with the nature of a pocket piece as well as the appearance of being used for a number of years. Whether or not it can be proven, the present specimen is nonetheless an exciting and significant piece of numismatic history that will be most assuredly appreciated by generations to come. >>

RebelStatesCurrency.com says that Haseltine had Peter Kinder of Philadelphia create the set of First Restrikes. Later on, Robert Bashlow had August C. Frank & Co. of Philadelphia create transfer dies and create Second Restrikes.

<< <i>the war of northern aggression >>

This is also called The War of Southern Arrogance by some. Both are nicknames for the Civil War.
    Lovett also made several tokens and storecards, His own 1860 card was done in coppernickel and is very close to the CSA cent.

Probably as close as Ill come to owning an original csa cent.......if I dont use my reading glasses, this comes pretty close! PS one of these just sold on ebay for $111

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (Im at a loss to explain the PF61 grade, since this coin has obvious wear. Last I heard it was graded XF) >>

They accidentally picked up the 1804 dollar grading guide, wherein XF/AU cleaned = PF-61.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well if anyone is hesitating don't forget that they have a layaway plan to ease the pain!

Layaway Plans: We offer layaway plans for purchases over $2,000.

Nice coin and a good piece of history.

K
    ANA LM
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well if anyone is hesitating don't forget that they have a layaway plan to ease the pain! Layaway Plans: We offer layaway plans for purchases over $2,000. >>

Excellent. $1000 down and $150 a month for 100 years ought to cover it.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure this is the one that Grover Criswell spoke with me about a LONG time ago. Wow
    Anyone every buy $$$$$$ coins on a timeshare arrangement? About ten years ago I nearly bought into a TS deal on a Beech Bonanza, that was of course before a 'good friend' nearly crashed us into the Palisades near Nyack NY doing stupid aerobatics in a Citabria. enuff of the flying........
  • ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    I know grade is irrelevant on a piece like this - but PF-61?!?

<< <i>I know grade is irrelevant on a piece like this - but PF-61?!? >>

So, I guess by extrapolatiojn the ones that aren't circulated are all Proof-70's????
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    Also, perhaps two of these are actually 'lost'. Lovett lived and worked very near Independence Hall in Philadelphia and just maybe someday one will turn up at some construction site, laying there in the dirt.

This coin woud make a great start to a CSA registry set.....you'd need this one, a copper, gold and silver Haseltine restrike, and the two halves, the liberty seated and the scott token.

I dont know if anyone has that set.
    Based on "The Lovett Cent, A Confederate Story" By Harold Levi and George Corell, this coin for sale is referenced as Coin number 2, photographed on page 252. It is one of three coins thought to be Lovetts pocket piece. Last sale record was Stacks Ford 1 Lot 322 and was graded as XF.

The spot pattern and toning marks are a clear match.
  • GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    Wow.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know grade is irrelevant on a piece like this - but PF-61?!? >>

Look at the grades assigned by the major grading services to some of the 1804 silver dollars.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• << <i>(Im at a loss to explain the PF61 grade, since this coin has obvious wear. Last I heard it was graded XF) >>

That's because a proof is always a proof, even with wear.
    It is not like an business strike coin that has wear. That would make it not MS, not not Proof.

Jonathan
    I have been a collector for over mumbly-five years. I learn something new every day.
  • JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>(Im at a loss to explain the PF61 grade, since this coin has obvious wear. Last I heard it was graded XF) >>

It is not like an business strike coin that has wear. That would make it not MS, not not Proof.

Jonathan >>

I've seen PCGS PF45 before. In fact, I thinkI've even seen a PF8!
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varieties:
    Originals:
    Copper-Nickel - 12 struck
    Restrikes from unbroken dies:
    Copper - 55 struck
    Gold - 7 struck
    Silver - 12 struck
    Restrikes from broken dies:
    Aluminum - 50 struck
    Bronze - 5,000 struck
    Gold - 3 struck
    Goldine - 5,000 struck
    Lead - 50 struck
    Nickel Silver - 50 struck
    Platinum - 3 struck
    Red Fiber - 50 struck
    Silver - 5,000 struck
    Tin - 50 struck
    Zinc - 50 struck

CoinFacts

• << <i>

<< <i>(Im at a loss to explain the PF61 grade, since this coin has obvious wear. Last I heard it was graded XF) >>

Jonathan >>

Since proof is a method of manufacture, an impaired (worn) proof would grade PF45, or PF03 or whatever else depending on how much wear. The only time I really have seen this is with proof only issues of trade dollars.
  • fcfc Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭
    guys,

the grade is totally accurate. NGC graded it and therefore you have no opinion worth
    sharing that could make me think otherwise.

experts indeed. ;-)
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are the Bashlow so-called restrikes, transfer dies from the original. Made in the 1960's.
    Restrikes from broken dies:
    Aluminum - 50 struck
    Bronze - 5,000 struck
    Gold - 3 struck
    Goldine - 5,000 struck
    Lead - 50 struck
    Nickel Silver - 50 struck
    Platinum - 3 struck
    Red Fiber - 50 struck
    Silver - 5,000 struck
    Tin - 50 struck
    Zinc - 50 struck
    Here's a set of hub trials I own from Bashlow's strikings. A set like these sold at a recent heritage auction for $1000!
    Obverse Hub Trial

Reverse Hub Trial
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool....thank you!!!

<< <i>Based on "The Lovett Cent, A Confederate Story" By Harold Levi and George Corell, this coin for sale is referenced as Coin number 2, photographed on page 252. It is one of three coins thought to be Lovetts pocket piece. Last sale record was Stacks Ford 1 Lot 322 and was graded as XF.

The spot pattern and toning marks are a clear match. >>

"Gradeflation! Catch the fever!!!"
  • AOEDADAOEDAD Posts: 107
    Very Nice Hub .. well worth $1000.00 !

FYI .. attached is photo Bashlow Gold .. ex Kagin Collection.

I've collected Bashlows for about 45 years ..
    always gald to see another collector's items .. tj

"Authority on Exonumia" - DAD

"many contacts among the Lumberjacks "

NGC Registry AOEDAD sets:

Set #1 Major Expositions
    Set #2 So-called Dollar Collections
    So-called $50 Slug Facsimiles
    Bashlow re-strikes

<< <i>Very Nice Hub .. well worth $1000.00 !

FYI .. attached is photo Bashlow Gold .. ex Kagin Collection.

I've collected Bashlows for about 45 years ..
    always gald to see another collector's items .. tj

image >>

• fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Very cool! image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    Another example of R. Lovett's work in silver,

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    If it has wear it can't be a "61" anything.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If it has wear it can't be a "61" anything. >>

It can if it's market graded, which is becoming a more common practice.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

It can if it's market graded, which is becoming a more common practice. >>

Agree only if the "wear" is the barest trace of rub.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

Id give it the XF grade it carried before NGC got it. (and no I dont like their slabs either they make this house priced coin look teeeeeney in that white thing}

Compare the auction picture with the Lovett storecard I posted, and the heavy wear on the lower hair is very evident.

Dont get me wrong Im not bashing this coin....but IF I were the new owner, Id submit it to PCGS, take the whack in the grade and at least be honest with it. (also Id start that Confederate Coin registry set)

I nearly had a partner for half the buy...but his "Loving Thoughtful Wife" (who already has a 5 bedroom/4 bath house 1 block off the beach and a Jaguar) is Scairt of investing in coins. (arrrgggghhhhh)
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    I dunno seems like a bargin, its half the price of the 1794 Liberty Cap 1C the seller has. image
  • DoctorPaperDoctorPaper Posts: 616 ✭✭✭
    Here's a couple of tokens using Lovett's "Confecerate head."
    Wisconsin nationals: gotta love 'em....
  • DoctorPaperDoctorPaper Posts: 616 ✭✭✭
    What's interesting is that at first glance all these 'confederate heads' look like they came from the same hub, but if you look closely, there's small variations among them.
    Wisconsin nationals: gotta love 'em....
    Yes of those three tokens, only the Biern Hotel piece is the work of Robert Lovett Jr.

He also done the Marshall House Allebach and Idler store cards.

I think they are the only ones, at least that is according to the book aforementioned. so in all he done his own storecard, Idler, Allebach Marshall house and Biern hotel. And of course the CSA cent. There are many other examples of his work, Im only mentioning the french liberty head design.

Get the book if these interest you, its a great read.
  • BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803
    Ya'll made me go look at Civil War Tokens on eBay after reading this post. ha

Snagged a cheapo example: linky dinky

Will fill one of the empty holes in my IH¢ Dansco image

• mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    Psh! I will wait for a platinum example.

morris
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    So was it someone here who snagged Lovett's storecard tonight on ebay? Link

R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm

Leave a Comment