Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Do you any of you think that any of this late 80's early 90's unopened crap that I bought will be w

2»

Comments

• LakersFANLakersFAN Posts: 288 ✭✭
    i would be interested in the 1989 fleer basketball .....boxes or cases...let me know....thanks.....
  • mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    I opened alot of my junk a couple years ago. I pulled the inserts, rookies and stars, and everything else made a trip to the landfill.
    So now I have about 25 800 count boxes as opposed to several cases.
  • no - never will be worth crap.
    give it as donation and forget about it.
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    I remember helping out at a card shop from 1987-1989 and getting the order forms the next year's issues around October for delivery before Christmas. These were mostly vending at first, but still. The funny (or sad) thing was that one year later, we could still order cases at the same wholesale prices. And...we can still buy cases for less than that today, factoring inflation (or perhaps not)!
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    The only thing Chaz has going for himself is that this stuff is unopened.

At 5.00 per box he still has some dough there.

Good luck Chaz.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • I actually was about to buy a case of 1989 Donruss baseball for my son who is 9. Would like to give him something interesting to rip to get him started and teach him about preserving the condition of the cards. Plus, he actually knows who Griffey is. PM me if you are interested in selling a case or a few boxes.
  • chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The only thing Chaz has going for himself is that this stuff is unopened.

At 5.00 per box he still has some dough there.

Good luck Chaz.

Steve >>

Thanks Steve. chaz
  • What are you looking for for the 87 or 88 Fleer baseball?
    Atlanta Braves, Charlotte Hornets, Shawn Kemp, Dale Murphy, and Bobby Engram.
    On the 87' fleer case, best I can do at this time ( I paid $2700 for it a couple of years ago) is $1000 delivered. thanks. chaz
  • AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    The 86 TT and 87 Fleers had a short window to cash in. It has now slammed shut. The only way these products have any increased value is when a player gets hot and most of the guys in that stuff are at the very end of their career or done. All the 1990 crap products had a short window to cash in on when Sosa was hot. Same with 1985 Topps, even though it is not as bad as late 1980's. The 89 crap boxes got a little hot around I guess 1997/98 when Griffey was great and beckett suddenly boosted his low rookies from $6 to $18 and then to $25. But now those guys are done and those days are gone, sorry for your loss- enjoy the gum.

<< <i>The 86 TT and 87 Fleers had a short window to cash in. It has now slammed shut. The only way these products have any increased value is when a player gets hot and most of the guys in that stuff are at the very end of their career or done. All the 1990 crap products had a short window to cash in on when Sosa was hot. Same with 1985 Topps, even though it is not as bad as late 1980's. The 89 crap boxes got a little hot around I guess 1997/98 when Griffey was great and beckett suddenly boosted his low rookies from $6 to $18 and then to $25. But now those guys are done and those days are gone, sorry for your loss- enjoy the gum. >>

A I - the gum isn't tastin' real good right now. I can't even burn this crap for firewood. Toxic fumes would kill all of us! chaz
  • Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    I have been looking for some 1990 Upper Deck French Hockey cases. Let me know how many and how much.
  • Chaz -
    Would you be willing to let a box of the 87 Fleer Baseball go?

<< <i>Chaz -
    Would you be willing to let a box of the 87 Fleer Baseball go? >>

Wish I could but I am looking to sell one of the cases. Thanks anyway. chaz
  • LakersFANLakersFAN Posts: 288 ✭✭
    chaz
    how much for 89 fleer basketball boxes or cases? * i know u want to get rid of these*...i can tell!..haha

<< <i>chaz
    how much for 89 fleer basketball boxes or cases? * i know u want to get rid of these*...i can tell!..haha >>

Thanks for the inquiry but I am going to keep this case. I should not have listed it. chaz
  • The 92 Stadium Club and UD boxes are pretty good, even now.

Unless Shaq does something stupid, I dont see his cards collapsing. And the Beam Teams are still rare.

At some point, you have to cut your losses and move on. I've lost a fortune on all kinds of stuff (once paid $500 for an 86 Star Knicks bag right when they got to the Finals in the early 90's). So much for that.

I lost probably $2,000 on Star cards. Another $1,000-1,500 on modern rookies (in the early 90's). Lost money on subsets (remember 91 Leaf gold rookies? Paid probably $180 to piece that set together at one time).

Lost a fortune on Mutumbo, Larry Johnson, $30 Time Hardaway 90 Fleer Rookie Sensations. 90 Upper Deck French hockey packs for $15-20.

Eventually I went through all my junk, and categorized it. Some of it I can live with. Some of it I won't touch anymore (won't buy any cards of Bonds or any modern baseball player that looks like the Incredible Hulk). Won't buy anyone currently under investigation. Won't buy anyone thats been suspended from the game.

There's too much else out there to collect to worry about what you bought 10 or 15 years ago.

All the cards and boxes I have now from the late 70's to early 90's have been steamlined. I'd rather have one box post 90 that's rare than 10 or 15 that are common (the only box I have is 92/93 Fleer basketball rack with the Team Leaders).

Out of all the modern cards I have, probably only 5% are tainted players. I have 1 '87 Fleer Bonds rookie. 1 85 Topps McGwire rookie. I'd rather look at Sandberg rookies or Ripkens.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    There are only a handful of late 80s-early 90s boxes that have held their value over the years since the release year- 93 and 94 SP baseball, 92 Stadium Club Hi# FB, 92 Fleer BK rack (CardKid-nice box by the way) are the only ones I can name off-hand. Even stuff that seems like it's gone up in value like 93 Finest, 95 Bowman's Best BB and 96 Topps Chrome BK are actually lower now than they were during the release year. Basically, no matter what unopened material you bought and held onto over the years, you've lost money.
  • Also,

I think collectors can be hard on themselves when it comes to money lost, or lost opportunity. We seem to like to draw out the pain.

It's somewhat "healing" to take the money from junk or 100 count lots of XYZ rookie and put it into something solid and "real".

You can buy a respectable looking Goudey Ruth or Gehrig For $1,000-1,500. Or a T206 Cobb for $800-1,200.

I probably blew half of that on 91 OPC Premier baseball boxes, 90 Pro Set errors for $20 or $30 a piece. $5 Mark Grace rookies, Matt Nokes. Running around to Dennys collecting their hologram cards..around 93/94.

Ryan Klesko?
    Todd Van Poppel?
    Danny Ferry Skybox rookies for $5?

Its funny how you can spend so much time and energy buying cards that eventually go down in price by 99%.

<< <i>Also,

I think collectors can be hard on themselves when it comes to money lost, or lost opportunity. We seem to like to draw out the pain.

It's somewhat "healing" to take the money from junk or 100 count lots of XYZ rookie and put it into something solid and "real".

You can buy a respectable looking Goudey Ruth or Gehrig For $1,000-1,500. Or a T206 Cobb for $800-1,200.

I probably blew half of that on 91 OPC Premier baseball boxes, 90 Pro Set errors for $20 or $30 a piece. $5 Mark Grace rookies, Matt Nokes. Running around to Dennys collecting their hologram cards..around 93/94.

Ryan Klesko?
    Todd Van Poppel?
    Danny Ferry Skybox rookies for $5?

Its funny how you can spend so much time and energy buying cards that eventually go down in price by 99%. >>

I feel your pain. I got caught up in the Lindros stuff and Shaq back in the early 90's. Oh well. chaz
  • flash300flash300 Posts: 138 ✭✭
    Chaz -- Get what you can out of the cases. Chalk it up to bad investment and buy 1978 and older wax or vintage graded . In 20
    years there will still be tons of late 80's early 90's stuff out there and yes it may go up in value maybe even up to what you paid for it
    but the older stuff will far outperform the late 80's early 90's stuff .

If you really like that stuff buy 200 more cases at current levels and
    get your average cost down image
    Thanks flash. I know about dollar cost averaging. I am going to let this stuff go slowly. chaz
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When people move into houses, they "really will" be finding these cards in the attic or basement. LOL
  • Would you be able to write them off at a loss this point if you sold the cases or boxes?

<< <i>Would you be able to write them off at a loss this point if you sold the cases or boxes? >>

Yeah, that's what I have been doing. Selling off some of the junk and paying less in taxes. chaz