Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Do you any of you think that any of this late 80's early 90's unopened crap that I bought will be w

I bought cases of this crap before there was the internet or ebay. When everything was bought by word of mouth. It really pisses me off. Now the card companies and dealers can't get away with their BS anymore by saying " Oh, 89' score football is really rare and so is 92' Topps Stadium Club Basketball. Prices now indicate they made TONS of this crap. Should I hold this crap another 20 years or start letting it go? I really don't think any of it will be any good for decades(if ever) because they made so much of it. A lot of this crap is selling for 5 bucks a box. Or could this be like 80's Topps baseball which was overproduced and is selling well now. Well, here goes:

All Case Quantities-

Baseball:

1986 Topps Traded (roids)
1987 Fleer Wax (roids)
1987 Fleer Glossy Sets (roids)
1988 Fleer
1989 Donruss

Basketball:

1989 Fleer
1990 Skybox
1992 Topps Stadium Club High
1992 Upper Deck High

Hockey:

1990 Score Wax (Canadian)
1990 Sore Sets (Canadian)
1990 Upper Deck High
1990 Upper Deck French

Let me know what y'all think. chaz

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bottom line - "nobody" else wants it who doesn't already have it, and those who have it and don't want it, probably aren't going to throw it away...a bad combination for any chance of the prices rising any time in the foreseeable or even distant future.
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    For it to have lasting and eventual value, at least one of the eventual purchasers must intend to open it.

Ask yourself one question, do you think there will ever be a "1989 DONRUSS BOX- LIVE RIP TONIGHT!" thread on this forum?

I'm guessing that's not very likely.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    PSA 1 Chaz

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I've always liked the 86 and 86 TT sets. Not worth much, just brings back good memories of collecting when collecting was all about fun.

Jay
    3000 Hit CLub signed ball - 8/19 Living Members

Successful Deals: tennesseebanker, jvette,
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    I wouldn't sell it, maybe it won't be worth anything in our lifetime??? I'm hoping to have grandkids someday, be nice to let them do some vintage rippn.
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PSA 1 Chaz

Steve >>

Unfortunately Winpitcher, I think you are right. I am going to start unloading this stuff case by case. chaz
  • Options

<< <i>I wouldn't sell it, maybe it won't be worth anything in our lifetime??? I'm hoping to have grandkids someday, be nice to let them do some vintage rippn. >>

Not a bad idea. However, I have lost a lot of money on this stuff so I got to try to get some of it back. chaz
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    You aint the only one in that boat Chaz.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Ask yourself one question, do you think there will ever be a "1989 DONRUSS BOX- LIVE RIP TONIGHT!" thread on this forum?

I'm guessing that's not very likely. >>

Hmm, actually, that sounds like fun. image I've been thinking about doing a "matte border variation" set.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chaz

It's already paid for and you'ld be sellin at pennies on the dollar.

If ya got the space? Keep it.

See what happens in 10 to 20 yrs - ya never know?

92UD Bkb - remember when Matumbo and LJ were selling for good coin? image

I don't have cases - but I do have some wax crap also!

Lucky for me, I also bought some wax and vending that's actually worth something today - and it was just luck.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    The stuff nobody think will be worth anything is usually what turns up to be worth something.

having said that, its gonna take a loooooooooong time. And if everyone keeeps hoping it will be worth something, it never will.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options

<< <i>Chaz

It's already paid for and you'ld be sellin at pennies on the dollar.

If ya got the space? Keep it.

See what happens in 10 to 20 yrs - ya never know?

92UD Bkb - remember when Matumbo and LJ were selling for good coin? image

I don't have cases - but I do have some wax crap also!

Lucky for me, I also bought some wax and vending that's actually worth something today - and it was just luck.

mike >>

Mike- I am sitting on almost 100 cases of this stuff... I am not kidding. I don't want to be kicking myself in 20 years when the stuff is almost 40 years old and it starts to go up or keeps goin' down ( 50 cents a box???), I don't know. I feel like the ole' catch 22. chaz
  • Options
    mmyncmmync Posts: 678
    I may be interested, where are you located?
  • Options
    Mike- L J.... that's a name from the past!!! Man, are we getting old!!! chaz
  • Options

<< <i>I may be interested, where are you located? >>

Thanks for the interest but not pennies on the dollar. chaz
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I'd be interested in a couple boxes if you break a case or two
  • Options
    I remember my dad buying quite a few cases of stuff that he thought wouldnt ever be worth anything....i remember that he bought a few cases of 82 fleer i think which everone has ripken rc in it ....i believe that he paid about 35- 40 a case for them....and cases of 1979 black hole movie cards....he bought 2 cases for less than 30 dollars (48) boxes ......recently sold 1 box for $20.00 ...so you never know.........................maybe even new kids on the block cards will be worth something oneday.............lol.........yeah, and maybe bush is a great president.
  • Options

<< <i>yeah, and maybe bush is a great president. >>

Tell ya what Joe - anything's possible?

If wax could be worth something in 30 yrs? Ya never know how historians are gonna interpret history in 30 yrs? He could wind up being the "savior of traditional democracy?"

And...

Maybe not? image
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Mike- L J.... that's a name from the past!!! Man, are we getting old!!! chaz >>

I just had a brain drain Chaz.

The Larry Johnson and Mutombo were in the 91-2UD set - but I want to say they were selling for like 20 bucks a piece early on?

92-3UD was the era of the Shaq! Again - serious prices early on.

I just looked in a '93 Tuff Stuff and the prices had already dropped way down - 9 bucks for LJ and 3 bucks for DM.

Wow - mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I'd be interested in some 1989 fleer basketball depending on the price If you decide to sell let me know.
  • Options
    Thanks. The 89' Fleer Basketball is probably the only case I will keep. Thanks. chaz
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    If you crack th 88 fleer BB, lmk Chaz
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I think it's gold. Solid gold.
  • Options
    Ya never know what can happen in 20 yrs.

Take the 89D case - it's loaded with proven RCs!

To me Griffey, Schilling, Smoltz - perhaps Biggio, Johnson e.g. - will be considered "vintage" to kids and they might find it fun to pull their own as opposed to buying it already graded and entombed in bulletproof plastic?

Just a thought.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>I think it's gold. Solid gold. >>

All this cht is better than gold. It's frickn' PLATINUM !!! You have all convinced me not to sell any of this cht!!! chaz
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Important to always remember that the mere age of items
    does NOT influence the market value of those items.

Sometimes, that seems to be false, BUT it never is.

Age + Scarcity + High Demand = High Value

Age + Huge Supply + Low Demand = Low Value

MANY items are hundreds of years old. Yet, they have
    little or no value.

2008 Items + Scarcity + High Demand = High Value

Time almost always turns hoarders into failed packrats.

"Sell it; sel it all." Gordon Gecko
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options

<< <i>Important to always remember that the mere age of items
    does NOT influence the market value of those items.

Sometimes, that seems to be false, BUT it never is.

Age + Scarcity + High Demand = High Value

Age + Huge Supply + Low Demand = Low Value

MANY items are hundreds of years old. Yet, they have
    little or no value.

2008 Items + Scarcity + High Demand = High Value

Time almost always turns hoarders into failed packrats.

"Sell it; sel it all." Gordon Gecko >>

Storm- but I am thinking that the audience for this stuff isn't even born (or they are very young right now) yet so how do we know what the demand will be 20 years from now. Isn't time always on the side of the investor???? chaz
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    GOLD!!!!!!
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    No

Way Way too much supply, not enough demand.
  • Options

<< <i>GOLD!!!!!! >>

PLATINUM CHT !!!!! chaz
  • Options
    "Storm- but I am thinking that the audience for this stuff isn't even born (or they are very young right now) yet so how do we know what the demand will be 20 years from now. Isn't time always on the side of the investor???? chaz "

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Time interests me, but demand is the only thing that can make me rich.

If you have not done so, look at LIEBIG cards on EBAY and other sites.
    The results sum up the age v. demand concepts.

We all think we know that sports/games are not going away. I am sure
    we are right. While we don't know for sure how much 80s/90s stuff is
    stashed, we think it is ALOT. More than enough to meet demand FOREVER.

I am NOT suggesting "pennies on the dollar" dumps, but whatever
    EBAY yields over time is probably prudent.

Storage issues can bite paper-hoarders. Bugs, moisture, fire, theft; all
    possible as TIME passes.

The money supply is increasing at 15% to 20% a year. New cash invested
    with the knowledge that we may have lacked in 1990, is going to serve
    us better than the dead money we killed buying fantasy stashes.

Few folks saved
    cases/boxes/packs in the
    40s/50s/60s/70s. That stuff became
    valuable because nobody saved it not because it got old. EVERYBODY saved
    stuff in the late-80s/early 90s.
  • Options
    "GOLD!!!!!! "

/////////////////////////////////////////

Be cautious short term.

Folks - large and small - need cash.
  • Options

<< <i>"Storm- but I am thinking that the audience for this stuff isn't even born (or they are very young right now) yet so how do we know what the demand will be 20 years from now. Isn't time always on the side of the investor???? chaz "

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Time interests me, but demand is the only thing that can make me rich.

If you have not done so, look at LIEBIG cards on EBAY and other sites.
    The results sum up the age v. demand concepts.

We all think we know that sports/games are not going away. I am sure
    we are right. While we don't know for sure how much 80s/90s stuff is
    stashed, we think it is ALOT. More than enough to meet demand FOREVER.

I am NOT suggesting "pennies on the dollar" dumps, but whatever
    EBAY yields over time is probably prudent.

Storage issues can bite paper-hoarders. Bugs, moisture, fire, theft; all
    possible as TIME passes.

The money supply is increasing at 15% to 20% a year. New cash invested
    with the knowledge that we may have lacked in 1990, is going to serve
    us better than the dead money we killed buying fantasy stashes.

Few folks saved
    cases/boxes/packs in the
    40s/50s/60s/70s. That stuff became
    valuable because nobody saved it not because it got old. EVERYBODY saved
    stuff in the late-80s/early 90s. >>

Excellent Points. thanks. chaz
  • Options
    RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭

<< <i>I bought cases of this crap before there was the internet or ebay. When everything was bought by word of mouth. It really pisses me off. Now the card companies and dealers can't get away with their BS anymore by saying " Oh, 89' score football is really rare and so is 92' Topps Stadium Club Basketball. Prices now indicate they made TONS of this crap. Should I hold this crap another 20 years or start letting it go? I really don't think any of it will be any good for decades(if ever) because they made so much of it. A lot of this crap is selling for 5 bucks a box. Or could this be like 80's Topps baseball which was overproduced and is selling well now. Well, here goes:

All Case Quantities-

Baseball:

1986 Topps Traded (roids)
    1987 Fleer Wax (roids)
    1987 Fleer Glossy Sets (roids)
    1988 Fleer
    1989 Donruss

Basketball:

1989 Fleer
    1990 Skybox
    1992 Topps Stadium Club High
    1992 Upper Deck High

Hockey:

1990 Score Wax (Canadian)
    1990 Sore Sets (Canadian)
    1990 Upper Deck High
    1990 Upper Deck French

Let me know what y'all think. chaz >>

Why on earth would you ever store this stuff. You are better off dumping it and taking that money and investing it in the stock market and i am sure it will perform better than these cases over the next 10 years.

For some reason, our brains are programmed to not take losses and people hold on to investments much longer than they should.

To maximize your return you should probably buy 4-5 boxes of QUALITY wax and do one of those auctions where you sell "lots" of packs like a grab bag for $19.99 or something similiar and you will make much more but it will be some work.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I would sell and/or rip most of it. I say this because the odds of the bulk of that stuff appreciating is really slim. Just a TON of supply and very low demand. Other than a late rookie card development that we don't already place a high demand on I doubt the prices will ever really spike. Sure they may be worth more 20 years ago but if you sell them and actually "invest" the money I would bet that would prove to be a better investment. I say this because 100 cases is not a collectable but obviousouly intended as an investment. That's great. I am sure you bought other things that HAVE turned into great investments. I think this one fizzeled. Sell, clear the space and buy something else! Just my opinion. Good luck.
  • Options
    "For some reason, our brains are programmed to not take losses and people hold on to investments much longer than they should. "

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

GAWD, don't I know it.

75% of my serious losses have come when I refused/failed to cut minor losses.

25% have come when I tried catching falling knives.

• Options
    Excellent points from everyone. Really appreciate it. Thanks. chaz
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    storm have been making some of the best points I've ever read here. It still bothers me to hear sellers and collectors talk about age or how old is something. It may or may not have any bearing on value, as storm accurately pointed out. Even if demand rises for such crap from kids/adults not yet born, value will not rise because there will never, ever be a supply problem.

I was faced with a similar situation a couple of years ago and because I value the space that such crap took up, I did 3 things: 1) donated, 2) threw away and 3) sold factory sets for pennies on the dollar. To this day, I do not regret doing any of this.
  • Options
    I am also in the same boat. I have a storage are and to be honest I can't exactly recall what I have. I know I have around 10 cases of 1988 donruss cello, 3 cases of 1986 topps wax, 1 case 86 donruss wax and 5 cases of 1981 fleer wax. I forget about it and it makes me sick to my stomach to think about the money I spent on those at the time. I thought it would be a great investment. I know it is all junk and I have no clue what I am going to do with it. I have no kids and never want to have any so who knows where they will end up. I do well financially and don't need to sell them so I guess I will die with possession of them unless times change.
    "If someone tells you that money is the root of all evil. They don't have any"
  • Options
    I always think hobby and not investment.

It really didn't hit me what 100 cases involves?

I'm not sure how much Chaz paid for all of this?

But, if one is thinking in terms of investment? And putting the money to good use? Then, waiting 20 yrs or more would not be a good idea.

Take the loss - dump it - and move on - and yes - invest that money.

Chaz did you say where this is stored?

I wish you the best - that's a lot of cardboard!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>I always think hobby and not investment.

It really didn't hit me what 100 cases involves?

I'm not sure how much Chaz paid for all of this?

But, if one is thinking in terms of investment? And putting the money to good use? Then, waiting 20 yrs or more would not be a good idea.

Take the loss - dump it - and move on - and yes - invest that money.

Chaz did you say where this is stored?

I wish you the best - that's a lot of cardboard!
    mike >>

Mike- it's all over the place. Closets, attic, a little in the basement, storage cabinets... I am going to let it go slowly... a couple of cases here and there on ebay I guess. I thought about Steve at BBC ( heck, some of the stuff I bought from him years ago) but I want to move it slowly and see if anything happens. I used to be hard on myself but at the time I bought it, I was essentially "blind" as we all were. No internet, no ebay to check prices so I have stopped being hard on myself for it. Thanks for the encouragement. chaz
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>yeah, and maybe bush is a great president. >>

Tell ya what Joe - anything's possible?

If wax could be worth something in 30 yrs? Ya never know how historians are gonna interpret history in 30 yrs? He could wind up being the "savior of traditional democracy?"

And...

Maybe not? image
    mike >>

Indeed, don't forget that Truman left office with low approval numbers comprable to Bush's and look at how historians view Mr. Truman now. I think Bush will be respected in the long term for doing what is right instead of just going with what is popular like his predecesor did. Not to mention Lincoln for the first half of his presidency was considered a joke by most of the media at the time.

But back to our regularly scheduled program, if everyone else gets frustrated with the fact that the cases aren't worth anything right now and throws enough away, they could very well be worth something some day. You just never know.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Dump it.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    Chaz, I personally know an individual (investor) in Vallejo, California who went wild when '89 UD baseball came out. He thought the cards were the greatest thing since apple pie. So he obtained a business license and began hoarding cases. He has a 40 ft ocean going container on his property filled to the brim with cases of '89 UD baseball. Back in the late 80's there was an oil tycoon from the midwest who ordered cases of topps, fleer & donruss by the "box car" load. I've seen a recent picture of Higbee's Cards warehouse where there are rows of shrinkwrapped pallets with each pallet containing 20 cases of either '89 fleer, donruss or topps baseball. Just recently Mark Murphy had an ebay auction containing 50 cases of '89 donruss bb.
    I specialize in unopened material and the above mentioned investors are just a drop in the bucket! In the late 80's the demand for sportscards was at its zenith. Dealers and private collectors all across the country were filling their closets and spare rooms with cases of this stuff. The average card collector today can't even fathom how much late '80s early 90's unopened product is still out there. In fact there is still tons of unopened material out there going back as early as 1979 ( coincidentally the first year Beckett came out with a nationally recognized price guide). It may take another 10 years for 1979 unopened material to actually start drying up--and that's 1979 when there were very few card shops around.
    I was at a major card show in Seattle two years ago and a dealer had several 100 card mint lots of freshly pulled '89 fleer Griffey rookies for $500 a lot.
    Bottom line is that the current total inventory of (opened & unopened) material from the late '80s & early 90's is astronomical and probably 90% of all the rookie cards were kept in mint condition.
    It's a losing proposition any way you look at it. When your old and gray ebay will still be flooded with material from this era!!--and let's not forget that this period also falls within the "steriod era".
    It took me 300 words to say what the previous responder (Ron Burgandy) said in 2--dump it!!!!
    "You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp
  • Options

<< <i>Chaz, I personally know an individual (investor) in Vallejo, California who went wild when '89 UD baseball came out. He thought the cards were the greatest thing since apple pie. So he obtained a business license and began hoarding cases. He has a 40 ft ocean going container on his property filled to the brim with cases of '89 UD baseball. Back in the late 80's there was an oil tycoon from the midwest who ordered cases of topps, fleer & donruss by the "box car" load. I've seen a recent picture of Higbee's Cards warehouse where there are rows of shrinkwrapped pallets with each pallet containing 20 cases of either '89 fleer, donruss or topps baseball. Just recently Mark Murphy had an ebay auction containing 50 cases of '89 donruss bb.
    I specialize in unopened material and the above mentioned investors are just a drop in the bucket! In the late 80's the demand for sportscards was at its zenith. Dealers and private collectors all across the country were filling their closets and spare rooms with cases of this stuff. The average card collector today can't even fathom how much late '80s unopen product is still out there. In fact there is still tons of unopened material out there going back as early as 1979 ( coincidentally the first year Beckett came out with a nationally recognized price guide). It may take another 10 years for 1979 unopened material to dry up.
    I was at a major card show in Seattle two years ago and a dealer had several 100 card mint lots of freshly pulled '89 fleer Griffey rookies for $500 a lot.
    Bottom line is that the current total inventory of (opened & unopened) material from the late '80s & early 90's is astronomical and probably 90% of all the rookie cards were kept in mint condition.
    It's a losing proposition any way you look at it. When your old and gray ebay will still be flooded with material from this era!! And I didn't even mention that this era will always have the stigma of steriods. >>

I understand all of your points but I was wondering about 1980 topps baseball. They said back in the early 80's that it was massively overproduced but how come it is selling at almost $400 box??? chaz
  • Options
    Everything is relative. 1980 Topps baseball was massively produced compared to let's say 1975 Topps baseball. The hobby began growing exponentially fast around 1979 when Beckett came out with his first price guide. At this time the hobby lost its innocence and became an "industry". By 1987 card production was off the chart. In fact I've read that the print runs of donruss, fleer & topps roughly doubled each year from '87 thru '90.

Unopened 1980 topps carries a nice premium mainly due to the fact that there is always the possibility of pulling a $2000 psa 10 Henderson rookie. The best you can get from '89 fleer is a $60 psa 10 Griffey rookie. Psa 10 Henderson rookies are very rare because of the poor card stock used by topps in 80 lending to bad edges on the card. The quality control in the late 80's was much better therefore psa 10 griffeys from '89 are as common as glazed donuts....

I don't know where your $400 a box for '80 topps bb came from. They routinely sell for $200 to $250 on ebay and the most respected retail dealer in the country (The Baseball Card Exchange) currently has them for $260 on their website. $400 will sometimes fetch a '78 wax box on ebay.
    "You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp
  • Options
    No matter how "They" care to define the production level of 1980 Topps cards, it was still a small percentage of 1989 Donruss production

At $5 a box, 100 cases is still a lot of money. Anyone who owned stock in JetBlue wishes they could sell for pennies on the dollar. . .

Cards won't every drop to zero because they do have some utilitarian value, but holding out hope that the price of colored cardboard grows faster than inflation is a losing strategy
    Tom
  • Options

<< <i>. No internet, no ebay to check prices so I have stopped being hard on myself for it. Thanks for the encouragement. chaz >>

No need to be hard on yourself - we all have plenty of that stuff we bought because it was there.

My wife used to buy me a blaster box of some 1997 product - don't even remember what - every time she went to the PX.

Before I realized it, she had bought me like 20 of them!

Best story and I think I told this:

Remember when the jumbo packs of 92UD were hot due to the homerun heroes?

Well, I went to the National in 1992 - at the time the set was booking at almost 50 bucks.

I noticed dealers "blowing off" the boxes for under retail!

The next week the bottom fell out of UD and the set dropped to practically nothing.

I went to a small show that I frequent on Sundays and occasionally set up - and a guy had a table full of it - I felt bad for him - he couldn't give it away - my guess? He bought it at the National thinkin he was gonna clean up?

Wax in the early 90s had a very short shelf life.

And as we found out - the companies were pimping us! They were pushing the retail to small dealers to keep their account - at high wholesale prices - then DUMPING the rest to the big boys who were selling it the next week at big shows UNDER wholesale!!!!!!

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Everything is relative. 1980 Topps baseball was massively produced compared to let's say 1975 Topps baseball. The hobby began growing exponentially fast around 1979 when Beckett came out with his first price guide. At this time the hobby lost its innocence and became an "industry". By 1987 card production was off the chart. In fact I've read that the print runs of donruss, fleer & topps roughly doubled each year from '87 thru '90.

Unopened 1980 topps carries a nice premium mainly due to the fact that there is always the possibility of pulling a $2000 psa 10 Henderson rookie. The best you can get from '89 fleer is a $60 psa 10 Griffey rookie. Psa 10 Henderson rookies are very rare because of the poor card stock used by topps in 80 lending to bad edges on the card. The quality control in the late 80's was much better therefore psa 10 griffeys from '89 are as common as glazed donuts....

I don't know where your $400 a box for '80 topps bb came from. They routinely sell for $200 to $250 on ebay and the most respected retail dealer in the country (The Baseball Card Exchange) currently has them for $260 on their website. $400 will sometimes fetch a '78 wax box on ebay. >>

Just saw a 1980 Topps wax box close at just under $400 ( $390.55 to be exact) on ebay. Thanks for your input. chaz
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    We all know the answer to your question. We just resist throwing things away.

There's not a single card in all that stuff that will ever be considered rare. Fun to rip sure. Rare? Hardly.

"Molon Labe"