Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

whoa! a boatload of money for a Buffalo nickel!

Yikes! I didn't know that these fetched anywhere close to that amount. I read where this is the highest amount paid for a Buffalo nickel, and the first to eclipse 300k.

click here for the completed auction

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Finest known. I guess if you wanted to put together the finest known buff collection you would need to be willing to pay for it.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    Wow! It looks like its made of solid gold! For that price it ought to be. Hey, what a minute...

• Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    oddly enough, i don't particularly like the look of it based on the photo. i assume it looks much better in hand.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, what a bargain!! (I guess if you were bill gates you might think that). Actually if it truely is an ms66 by pcgs standards then the price is not out of line. I can just see this coin getting sent to pcgs for a crossover. If it crosses, then the price gets jacked up a few more tens of thousands of dollars. BUFFNIXX
    Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks overgraded to me.It's 63 or 64 in my opinion. This particular issue must be unknown in real gem uncirculated condition.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that IS a ton of money with the juice

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks overgraded to me.It's 63 or 64 in my opinion

Umm, given the caliber of the auction, it's most likely that the buyer and/or his agent took a real close look at this one and believed it to be a 66.....
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "and the first to eclipse 300k."

Not so. It may be the first REGULAR issue to top $300,000 but a 1916/16 PCGS MS64 sold for $315,000 less than a year ago.
  • Options
    Actually $316,250.00-Nov 2007 Bowers and Merena Baltimore auction; lot 683.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    That's a lot more than the $35 I paid for this one:

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    You got a true vf20 for next to nothing? Nice Catch!!!
    BUFFNIXX
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    Upon further review (by me) the coin looks like a VF30. BUFFNIXX
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

<< <i>You got a true vf20 for next to nothing? Nice Catch!!! >>

It's not like I had a clue. I can't grade them worth crap, so I just look for circulated examples that don't have problems. Most of the set I'm working on came from dealer junk boxes. I picked that one up off a bidboard about 2 1/2 years ago.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Russ -- you still did well on this. looks like a no problem coin and if you send it to pcgs it should get the vf20 grade. worth 400 bucks then BUFFNIXX
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

<< <i>and if you send it to pcgs it should get the vf20 grade. >>

I posted a thread about it a while back and, based on the responses, I decided I am going to submit it. Just need to find a lower grade example that I like first.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the really amazing thing about the subject coin, if known, would be the circumstances surrounding it's survival in such pristine condition. almost certainly it was pulled back without any knowledge of the low mintage and potential appreciation during the next 80 years, a fact that drives collectors like us crazy!!!
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ, if the 26 S is treated like the 24 S, I wouldn't submit the coin. You're not going to get VF money for a 24 S unless it has a no-questions full horn. I imagine the same is true here. I had a 24 S which looked marginally better than your coin and was in a similar situation.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...The present Gem, however, is not affected by bothersome lack of detail. The reverse die appears to have been relatively fresh when this coin was struck, and the overall definition on that side is sufficiently bold and well above average by the standards of the issue.

It seems to me that to make MS66 and be worth over $300K, those details should be much more well-defined than they are.

the buyer and/or his agent took a real close look at this one and believed it to be a 66.....

They took a real close look and ponied up the money. End of story. image

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    it would be nice to find a roll of those.
  • Options
    capecape Posts: 1,621
    I feel the coin is totally there for a mint state 66. What most collectors in this series don't understand is that each date and mint marked coins are all struck differently from each other. image
    ed rodrigues
  • Options
    You're so right! Just look at Ron Pope's extensive research on Buffalo strikes by date and MM.

Garrow
  • Options
    This is one of those dates that's often found struck from the very eroded dies that dominate many of the dates from the late 'teens, '20's, and a few from the '30's. This, more than the actual strike keeps most from grading any higher than MS62 or MS63. There are several other dates than the '26-S that are as bad as or worse in this regard.
  • Options
    Got a nice VF30 26-s for $35 in the early sixties, oh those were the days.
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file