Home Metal Detecting
Options

OK....any body know what this is?....I think it's a coin

but to be honest, when I dug it, I thought it was a slab of lead...until I cleaned it...Any ideas??

Comments

• Options
    I've never seen one like that before... cool find image

Does the "M" looking symbol have the little circle above it?
    Would almost look like the Mexico mint from the Spanish coins.
  • Options
    I don't know Rick....On one side it looks to have the roman numeral "VI"...but on the other side it looks like "IIII"...I just don't know...It came from some islands off our coast, where I have recovered pipe bowls that date back to the 1580's....I have posted it on other sites, hopefully someone will know.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting... please let us know what you find out... sure looks like an old coin of some sort. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Millennium,

That is a very interesting piece you have there. Is it lead?

You mention that the area dates back to late 1500's. I know that when I was detecting in the UK, I would find lot's of lead items and some of the best ones were the lead bag seals. While this doesn't look like one of those (most of them were normally round in shape) it could be some variant of that. Normally on the seals, one side would be smooth with the other side having the "seal" design in them. In addition to the seal, if I'm not mistaken, there were quite a few finds of lead "weights" that folks would find. I can't remember for sure, but maybe that could be what it is.

Whatever it is, that is very nice and one would think, have to be quite old. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE share any and all info that you find out about it.

Scott
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Scott and Rick.....The other forum has come up with an ID, at least I think so..My coin appears to be copper and if you look on this page on the 1st column 4th row, you'll see a very likely twin...

Ancient Spanish Coins

It appears to be a 4 maravedis that was minted in 1636 and then in 1659 stamped as a 6 maravedis...That explains the mix of roman numerals...This is a great find!
  • Options
    Millennium,

That is an absolutely awesome find. I guess you'll be hitting this spot again, REALLY HARD!!!!

Congrats and I think this one would definitely qualify as a top find on this board and even some of the magazines. I know it's early, but maybe you've thought of submitting this to some of the mags and even Garrett's quarterly magazine?

Congrats again!!!image

Scott
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations.. and a truly awesome find.... thanks for the followup.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    very cool mdawg...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Congratulations on a very nice find....Before I started detecting, I had 2-3 pieces that looked very similar to the one you found. I was always told they were from the African ruins....I no longer have them......Ken, the MDH
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Wow! Now thats old! Wonder what the value would be ?
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭

Holy Smokes! Is did you find that on St. Cath?

Awesome find!

wes
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options

<< <i>Holy Smokes! Is did you find that on St. Cath? >>

Close........on one of the ballast Islands near there...along with a lot of junk and some pipe stems..iron etc...but the site looks promising...I was there several years ago, and found some Spanish coins and one of the guys with us found a British coin from the 1700's..It's just hard to get there..
  • Options
    Very cool cob coin ! Nice find !

its earlier than mine .

Touch Not The Cat Bot A Glove !!

Always Looking for Raw Proof Lincoln Cents !!
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just wanted to add my WOW. That is a real treasure among treasures. I've been lurking on the detecting boards here for some time and have serious plans to take up the hobby in the near future. I can't wait to start sharing my pop can tops. image
  • Options
    image If we think about it...finding "old" pull rings can tell us that the site may not have been searched with a metal detector! That is the way I see it.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Good point Jerry..In fact, when I come to a sit that has a lot of pulltabs, I really get serious. Usually the lazier MD'ers will give it a quick once over and leave....There's stuff there, just takes a little more effort to recover it.
  • Options
    goossengoossen Posts: 492 ✭✭
    WOW! very interesting find !
    My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255

<< <i>image If we think about it...finding "old" pull rings can tell us that the site may not have been searched with a metal detector! That is the way I see it.

Jerry >>

Or, it could mean none of the pull tabs were carried out by previous searchers.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    Holy Smokes! That is an incredible find!!! I'll be very interested in the follow up stories as you make contact with the more serious collector magazines and collectors themselves. You done good image
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    "you done good" image

marym your "Maine" is showing thru
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    Mary and others that may be interested...Here is a link to the area where I found this coin......I have hunted here before, but it takes a boat to get there....So, when I go now, I have to be with someone that owns a boat, or is willing to loan theirs to me...It a barrier island off the coast of Georgia, and is surrounded by ballast islands, They are islands that are man made when ships came into that area and dumped their ballast, in order to take on supplies and products back to Spain, England, France and other countries. Here is a link that you can follow:

St Catherines Island, Ga.

More St Catherines

and More.....

Good reading, and is a step back in time when you are in that area.
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    you done good"

marym your "Maine" is showing thru

You're right Ken and I'm darned proud of it! image
    Be Still and Know