Home U.S. Coin Forum

have you ever UNDERpaid for a coin that you absolutely despise w/ a passion?

dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
hmmm???

K S

Comments

• tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Yes, several times. Typically newer coins (post-1900) and low value (<$40.00). I've either sold them or gave them away.
    Tom

• DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    NO - because if I hate the coin, then no matter how much I paid (even if I got it for face value), it was TOO MUCH!

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's often a rookie mistake, to "fill a hole". I have not done so for many years, and I would not do it again.
  • fcfc Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭
    i never despise gold coins and i never had the opportunity
    to buy them for less then melt.

so no. i do not ever get to underpay for gold US coins, even if i despise them with a passion.

odd thread. i am not sure what the point is.
  • jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, all the time. The idea is to underpay so much that you can make a good profit and still let the next owner underpay also.
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Yep.

94 cents.

• BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    RYK hit it on the nose, fillers tend to fit this bill.

I have finally found that no matter how hard I try, I still end up buying junk coins to fill holes or time and lose money dumping them when I finally get the coin I want. image

edited: and yes I underpaid and so did the next person. dogs just don't bring in what nicer looking coins do.
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    If you underpaid for a coin that you later couldn't even get rid of at cost, did you really underpay? image
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cherrypicks, sometimes...
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    Although I think that if you are making a conscience decision to buy a bad coin to fill a hole, you have to know that in the end you are not going to recoup the cost of that coin (in its entirety) once you find 'the right' coin.
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What happened to Kerry's nose?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's often a rookie mistake, to "fill a hole". I have not done so for many years, and I would not do it again. >>

With RYK's response in mind...

Ever? Yeah, maybe when I was collecting as a kid just to get any hole filler that became available and I could actually afford.

Since I started collecting again as an adult? No. I don't just fill holes.
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    In my early years!!!
  • PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I don't recall. I'd unload it fast, though!
  • GrivGriv Posts: 2,804

<< <i>What happened to Kerry's nose?
    image >>

Just a little brown nose toning.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    thanks for the help.

K S
  • partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    Never despise with a passion, but definely not need or want once I find a replacement. The good news it that bought right and marketed correctly one could turn a profit.

Example that comes to mind is 1869 seated quarter. R5 coin in G-VG and only 16,000 minted. Bought it and 4 others quarters for $50 of the bay. It is ugly as sin but I bet I could get $100 out of it off of ebay. However, since I haven't replaced it, it isn't for sale.

Its the top right coin. And yes the toning is uglier in person.

If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
  • Only with the intent to resell...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file