Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1919-S Mercury Dime "FSB" Question???

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
Sorry there's some major haze on the holder... of course right on the center bands.

But what % would you call these bands?

imageimage

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    Wakey Wakey Eggs and Bakey image

Many thanx in advance! image
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    there's no cigar for close...that's been my assumtion

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    99% In the magnified version, they appear very close to being full... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    95% plus. Nice dime!

Regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    there's no cigar for close...that's been my assumtion

OK question #2

If a FSB in 66 is worth up to $120K as per auction prices realized... what would this be worth image
  • Options
    I'll say 70% complete. For those who are serious about Full Bands, they are looking for "two loaves of bread" side by side. Or "two rails." To be fully split, the bands must be raised. This is why there are huge price differences on these coins, especially the 1919-S. Coins that are marginal are sold at discounts to unsuspecting buyers.

Much like "full head" SLQ, there appears to be a disconnect between what avid collectors call fully struck coins and what the TPG services recognize on their holders. This causes misconceptions among uninformed buyers.

Garrow

Edited to add: That's a pretty coin, BTW.
  • Options
    duck620duck620 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭
    sorry,center bands flat.nice coin for the year.image
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So close to FB, maybe condider resubmitting?

Price guide for a 66 is $1675.

The dime being so close to FB, may bring more who knows.

The center band does look a little flat.

I'm confident the pic below is FSB, these are the only ones I purchase.

Wish it wear a 19S, instead of a 42D.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Broadstruck - Nice MS 66 dime - and worth every cent of $1675.

...and no, no chance of getting it into a FB holder, IMHO. Not even accross the street.

Very nice dime though.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Here's a saved image from a dealers site of the central bands of a 1919-D MS64 in a top TPG holder as FB sold for an ask of $6,495.00... any loaves here?

• Options
    Much like "full head" SLQ, there appears to be a disconnect between what avid collectors call fully struck coins and what the TPG services recognize on their holders. This causes misconceptions among uninformed buyers.

OK so if we are talking SLQ FH's there's 3 levels mentioned in Cline's book - Minimum FH, Sharp FH, and Ultimate FH... what's the Minimum "splitification" requirement on a Merc image

As if the image below of the 19-D is what the TPG will grant a FB designation to... you could drive thru the bands on the 1919-S without hitting a road block.
  • Options
    Can't tell from the pic, but if I had to bet a dollar, I'd go with yes.
    If I had to bet $100, well, that's a tough one.

<< <i>sorry,center bands flat. >>

The bands do not have to be round or fully struck to earn the
    FSB designation. They just have to be totally separated.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,082 ✭✭✭
    They do not have to be "loaves of bread" or "McDonald's arches" to get the FSB designation. They can be flat but fully split and get the designation.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broadstruck..can you magnify the 19-S like the 19-D?... that would help.. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856
    If it's not FSB it's very very close...
    aka Dan
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    70 to 80 percent on the 19S and about 85 percent on the 19D. The 19D is stronger on the right hand side than the 19S. Someone stated that the 19S would not make FB across the street. Actually NGC is tougher on the FB designation than PCGS. From what I have seen lately PCGS has went back to be very strick on Merc dimes again. With that said the 19S has no chance at the FB designation now and a very very very slim chance later on down the road.

Maybe fcloud will chime in with a picture of the 19S I sold him. If I remember correctly it has stronger bands than this 19S that is shown.

Price wise. Get every penny you can for the coin. This is truely one of the KEYS in the series.

Below is the reverse of a 19D I have. No Band coin.

Ken
  • Options
    Broadstruck..can you magnify the 19-S like the 19-D?

No... as I can't get a close up with my point-n-shoot digital image
  • Options
    Here's another... these where the sellers pics.

This coin was purchased for the Mint Error, not the FSB as mostly all off centered Merc's have split bands.

However if I compare the two 1919-S Merc's central bands with a 10X loupe they are split almost about the same.

• Options
    Fairlaneman, That's a Mighty handsome 1919-D! image
  • Options
    Broadstruck look at the right side of the second 19S that you posted. It appears to be much stronger than the first coin. Mercs along with roosevelts must have strong details on the outer edge before the FB designation is given. Thats my take anyway. Just a nominal split will not do it. Many people grade the series as FB with the nominal split. Wonder why?

Thanks on the 19D. It came from a forumn member via the BST forum. Recently graded by PCGS as a MS62. Yep.....image

Ken
  • Options
    Heck as long as we are on FB mercs here is a perfect example of why a Merc will not, or should not, go FB with the PCGS and NGC graders. This one did not at PCGS and rightfully so. The coin is FB alll day long strike wise.

Ken
  • Options
    I saw the 19-D 64FB pictured for sale. It is a good example of the point I made and why I passed (besides the distracting diagonal marks). TPG will slab marginal SLQ and Mercs as fully struck. Those that choose to buy marginally struck coins slabbed as Full Head and Full Split Bands will not attract the same number of buyers when it comes time to sell. Avid collectors of these series are looking for meat for their money. I expect to pay big money anytime I come across those I describe. And there IS a big difference between bands on a 19-D and a 42-D Merc!

Just my humble opinion.
    Garrow
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey better late than never. Here is the 19-S Ken mentioned. The coin has an awesome strike, but misses full bands, not by much, but it misses. There is a bit of weakness on the right side of the center band. This is a high end MS66. If compared to the late 1930's and the 1940's coin, the coin would grade higher everytime. Enjoy!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    I didn't have the coin in hand when I posted this thread as it was locked in the SDB... here's a close-up and I guess I recall it being more split while it was housed in lock down. image

imageimage
  • Options
    Sorry these pics are Crude as they are shot through a 10 power loupe. image

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely not full, but very nice for a very tough date! You can't tell from my photo, but there is only two very tinyl spots were the center bands barely touch.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Nice pics!

Garrow
  • Options
    ILikeMercsILikeMercs Posts: 1,392
    nope.
    imageDo not taunt Happy Fun Ball image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file