Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

what do you think of PRO grading and how close are they to PSA

i am looking at a card that was graded 8.5 by PRO on ebay, i was wondering what it might get if i sent it to PSA. has anyone dealt with PRO grading?
WTB- 1965 topps PSA 7 or better
WTB- Jim Thome PSA 10's

Comments

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prolly come back trimmed. If not, hope for a 6!! Better off staying away all together.

Good luck!
    Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking at it is ok, buying it would not be.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    lets see a link...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    Good Luck!

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Most of the time if a card is good, the owner who wants it graded will choose one of the big 3 - psa bgs or sgc. If you don't have a lot of cards to get graded and don't want to invest the membership fee for psa, send it to bgs or sgc.

If it comes back from one of the big 3 as altered, some will try again with the big 3. Some will choose to send it to PRO or CRAP or SHAT grading service and get a good enough grade to trick somebody into buying it.

If the card is a good one, most sellers spend the money to get it legitimately graded. If it's in a PRO holder, there's a reason why.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    90% of my graded collection is PRO
  • Options
    thank you for the quick responses im gonna pass on the card
    WTB- Jim Thome PSA 10's
  • Options

<< <i>i am looking at a card that was graded 8.5 by PRO on ebay, i was wondering what it might get if i sent it to PSA. has anyone dealt with PRO grading? >>

Post a link or tell us the e-bay item number. It all depends on what type of card we're talking about. I would avoid a high priced vintage card graded by any company other than the main 4. However, if it's a 1986 Donruss Jose Canseco or something like that, it could be perfectly legitimate. Go ahead and post the link to the card and you will get some honest opinions (as well as a few smart ass comments) on this board.
  • Options

<< <i>thank you for the quick responses im gonna pass on the card >>

Don't give up on it that easily. If it's a modern low $$ card, it could be a good deal. We just need to see a scan of the card to give a good opinion.
  • Options
    PRO actualy gave a card an 8.5???? What! image

I wouls say a PRO 8.5 would get a PSA 5, but you just never know. A link would really help, or a scan of the card???

Good Luck!

Giovanni
  • Options
    bluemarlinbluemarlin Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Smart move.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    There is a PRO 8.5 Gretzky on ebay so I am guessing it might be that card.
  • Options
    I tried that once your pro graded card sent to psa will come back ungraded because it was trimmed.image
    Collector of 71 Kelloggs Football and Unitas cards.
  • Options
    it was a 62 mantle PRO 8.5 it already sold for $280
    WTB- Jim Thome PSA 10's
  • Options

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options

<< <i>it was a 62 mantle PRO 8.5 it already sold for $280 >>

A 62 Mantle in a Pro holder at 8.5? I think you are probably better off not winning that auction. It is likely an altered card. Pro is more prone to miss things like tampering than the big 4.
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

<< <i>it was a 62 mantle PRO 8.5 it already sold for $280 >>

I'd say passing was the right move because if the card could have been in a PSA holder it probably would have been (seller has mainly PSA cards).
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    99.9% chance it is trimmed. Vintage + PRO do not equal untampered.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you were smart to pass. Looking at that card, the borders look to me to be way too narrow.

As a general rule, Pro Grading should be avoided at all cost, as no reputable collector or dealer with any hobby knowledge at all would ever go to them to have their cards graded.

Steve
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats - You just saved yourself a lot of money on what would have likely been a worthless trimmed card.
  • Options

<< <i>8.5 PRO >>

Ug - I really hate to see one of my favorite cards mutilated like that.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I can't understand how that seller would even list that card.

100% feedback

sells PSA

sold it in a open auction (well as open as it could be) (not private)

280.00 for possible aggravation?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I'm in agreement with everyone else. That's a beautiful card to be in a Pro slab. I think there's a 99% chance that baby was trimmed or else the owner would have sent it to one of the big 4 and got a lot more $$ out of it. I'm guessing the buyer is probably going to crack it out and sell it raw and make a big profit. Maybe I'm just a bit cynical.
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Everybody knocks PRO as it is the fashionable thing to do just as it is with GAI but I have had numerous high $$ cards convert to equal PSA grades. Buy the card not the holder.image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    From PRO? or From GAI?

if from PRO you got lucky.

it is not the fashionable thing to bash PRO it is the logical thing.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    wtf card is this: 70 TW
  • Options

<< <i>wtf card is this: 70 TW >>

That's a "pre-grade", where GAI would give a card a cursury look (usually at a show where they aren't set up for full grading), and give their opinion of what a card "might" grade if they really look at itimage

Steve
  • Options

<< <i>Everybody knocks PRO as it is the fashionable thing to do just as it is with GAI but I have had numerous high $$ cards convert to equal PSA grades. Buy the card not the holder.image >>

Well, there are always exceptions to every rule, but the number of cards successfully crossed-over from PRO to PSA might be around 1% of those submitted for such service.

Steve
  • Options
    If that card was any more trimmed, it might start looking like a T-206.

There isn't a 99% chance that card is trimmed - it is 100%
  • Options

<< <i>Everybody knocks PRO as it is the fashionable thing to do just as it is with GAI but I have had numerous high $$ cards convert to equal PSA grades. >>

April Fool's day was last week.
  • Options
    "what do you think of PRO grading and how close are they to PSA"

PSA

PRO

Which would you rather spend your money on?
    Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky
  • Options

<< <i>"what do you think of PRO grading and how close are they to PSA"

PSA

PRO

Which would you rather spend your money on? >>

OOOOOH SNAAAAAAP!!!!! image
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    The one on the far right looks pretty good after you see the other three, lol.
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    I think PRO is overrated by the experts.
  • Options

<< <i>The one on the far right looks pretty good after you see the other three, lol. >>

Yeah I know image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The one on the far right looks pretty good after you see the other three, lol. >>

Yeah I know image >>

Oh boy....image