Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1914 MPL cent PCGS PR68RD SOLD for $126,500!!

MPL's on the move!

Remember folks, all boats rise with the tide, this could be the "Tsunami" the MPL fans are looking forimage
Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.

Comments

• Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    I was high bidder for about 1 1/2 hours today with a $40K bid.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

i still see this way over 100k as originally projected by me as it's just now past what ....ms67 stance

proof68 on that early of a lincoln by pcgs is amazing
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ""this could be the "Tsunami" the MPL fans are looking for ""

image Until the day that first 1917 Matte Proof sits inside pcgs plastic image
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Price Guide only 20k? image I must have been nuts bidding 60k (that was instantly outbid - i.e. previous high bidder secret max was more). image Good luck Stewie. Hope my little bump helped a bit.

• Options
    So Now....when this sells, DOES the price guide reflect this new selling price???? (in which case a lot of these coins should go up)
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

WOW!

Now over 80K!

Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options

<< <i>So Now....when this sells, DOES the price guide reflect this new selling price???? (in which case a lot of these coins should go up) >>

Ambro,

When I report this sale to the PCGS price guide editor the price for the 1909 and 1914 PR68RD will go through the roof! Yes, the all boats will rise theory will be in place for this series. Some coins will be affected more than others. PCGS PR67RD's will skyrocket followed by lesser grade coins.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darn, I was the high bidder at 70K! Thats my max...image

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    I think some exciting things will happen with 1916's down the road. Kind of an underdog
  • Options

<< <i>I think some exciting things will happen with 1916's down the road. Kind of an underdog >>

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So Now....when this sells, DOES the price guide reflect this new selling price???? (in which case a lot of these coins should go up) >>

Ambro,

When I report this sale to the PCGS price guide editor the price for the 1909 and 1914 PR68RD will go through the roof! Yes, the all boats will rise theory will be in place for this series. Some coins will be affected more than others. PCGS PR67RD's will skyrocket followed by lesser grade coins. >>

Why do you think that? When an MS65 tied finest known seated dollar auctions for a huge amount, the MS64's barely move.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Ambro,

When I report this sale to the PCGS price guide editor the price for the 1909 and 1914 PR68RD will go through the roof! Yes, the all boats will rise theory will be in place for this series. Some coins will be affected more than others. PCGS PR67RD's will skyrocket followed by lesser grade coins. >>

Why do you think that? When an MS65 tied finest known seated dollar auctions for a huge amount, the MS64's barely move. >>

When the next PR67RD trades or PR66RD that is top pop I will most likely know of the sale and will post the price here in relation to the current PCGS price guide. We shall seeimage

One more thing, back in January 2003 when the 1899 MS68RD Indian Head Cent sold for $69,000, a huge jump in price happed to the PCGS MS67RD IHC coins. I think Stewart would verify this also.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Why do you think that?"

Possibly because the Price Guide editor loves this series and wrote an article on 09VDB Proofs this month? But, I agree with TDN - that would be like sharply raising the price of 32-D Wash Quarters in MS65 if the MS66 (pop 1) goes for a record price in a couple weeks -frankly - its "apples and oranges" - no?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>"Why do you think that?"

Possibly because the Price Guide editor loves this series and wrote an article on 09VDB Proofs this month? But, I agree with TDN - that would be like sharply raising the price of 32-D Wash Quarters in MS65 if the MS66 (pop 1) goes for a record price in a couple weeks -frankly - its "apples and oranges" - no?

Wondercoin >>

A Washington quarter is somewhat common in MS65 with a population of 63 with one higher. The sale of the MS66 will not impact the 65's. I agree with this. MPL's are a different breed where 67's are very rare or non existant. Check the pops and you will see. I will soon post some eye popping results when a quality specimen trades in the near future.

• Options
    I agree with Brian with the scant pop 6 undergrade in this particular series it is different than the MS Wash quarters - I believe the PR67RD coins could move up some on the heels of this particular pop 2. Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

Mitch,

The PCGS price guide shows most of the common PR67RD MPL dates at $7,500. I will pay $15,000 sight-seen right now for any "PCGS" graded MPL cent that meets my quality standards. 3 of the 9 dates don't have any specimens that made the PR67RD grade!. 1911,1912 and 1916.

Anyone who has quality PCGS PR65 and PR66RD's they want to sell. Try me, you will like my offers image
  • Options
    Brian - What is your "sight-unseen" price for a PR67RD? It would seem that the Guide should probably move up to that level right now on those coins - no?

Wondercoin
  • Options

Mitch,

respectfully,

There is no way that I would post a sight-unseen bid for a MPL cent. I have been dealing in high grade small cents for 20 years and I know what could be lurking out there, waiting for a new home via a sight-unseen bid. Look what was offered in a recent auction graded PCGS PR66RD. It sold for about 1/2 of the PCGS price guide.

imageimage
  • Options
    "The PCGS price guide shows most of the common PR67RD MPL dates at $7,500. I will pay $15,000 sight-seen right now for any "PCGS" graded MPL cent that meets my quality standards."

I'd go $15,500. Of course MY standards are a bit stricter. image

When you trust PCGS enough (and/or have the stones) let me know when you go public with sight UNSEEN prices. I'd go 50% of the PCGS price guide no questions asked without exception.

Anyone can offer sight seen prices for coins they determine are either sufficiently strong for the grade or (alternatively) undergraded.

Absent the specific peculiarities of the current knowledge regarding the "PCGS MPL market", a REAL market maker will offer sight UN-seen prices with no questions asked - IMHO.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with NOT doing so in this case given PCGS's INCREDIBLY HORRIBLE inconsistency in the grades - AND ESPECIALLY THE COLOR DESIGNATIONS - of MPL's.

Haven't we ALL seen enough Lincoln MPL "land mines" in PCGS plastic poised to bury the unsuspecting buyer yet? image
  • Options
    Brian - A picture is worth a 1,000 words. Got it.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    MPLunaticMPLunatic Posts: 617 ✭✭
    That wierd rim toning really turns me off on this one, but obviously more than a few people like this one, or maybe they just like the plastic
  • Options
    too many pick at what pcgs graders held in their hands....a raw 1914 matte proof in a state of preservation unlike others

"i bet it darn near glows" and too many look for flaws instead of the beauty before them

i fully believe stewart in this was a "one trip" that the 3 graders at pcgs saw 68rd written all over it
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    Hey, Stewart - show us the one you kept! image
  • Options
    i fully believe stewart in this was a "one trip" that the 3 graders at pcgs saw 68rd written all over it >>

rumor is one of the graders turned to white marble after viewing the coin image
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I would bet that all the guys on here that have picked at this coin or been a little negative would suddenly forget if they owned or could own this piece.image
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    I didnt mean to discount this coin in the least I am just saying if I was laying out that kind of money, I would want a spot free gem, in my opinion I would rather have the 1910 67 that Rick has for a fraction of the price(and could keep up every bit with the 1914 68)
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>I didnt mean to discount this coin in the least I am just saying if I was laying out that kind of money, I would want a spot free gem, in my opinion I would rather have the 1910 67 that Rick has for a fraction of the price(and could keep up every bit with the 1914 68) >>

Interesting...so is it safe to assume that you've seen both in hand in order to make this comment?
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    No I have not seen these two coins in person but, a 68 should not have any spotting what so ever, here are the two coins, which would you rather have?

$75,000

$15,000
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Did you see the Heritage pic of the 1910 when it sold not too long ago, it wasn't the prettiest either. You can't convince me that a Rick Snow image is comparable to a Heritage Pic... I'll take Stewart Blay's word on the 1914, he's about as good as it gets when it comes to these.

I'm not saying that the 1910 cannot stand it's own with the 1914, i'm just saying that it's rediculous to compare the two when neither have been seen in hand.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    fair enough
  • Options
    Judging SOLELY from the pics above, the 1910 is nicer (and closer to what one would expect both for the grade AND for the money) hands down.
  • Options
    One can really play with photos, so I would only take that argument so far with any small measure of confidence. I am literally holding a 1914 PCGS PR66RB in my hands right now (photo below) that was previously owned by Stewart Blay. I'm rotating the coin under the light, and just picking up some of the points I never did get from the photos. Prior to the purchase, I was told that the coin itself exceeded the photo in raw eye appeal, and that is something that the lens can't always pick up. What I was told turned out to be a true statement. So naturally, in my opinion today, I beleive that generally speaking, photos do not do any justice to the real coins, as you rotate the coin and catch the light in differant ways, the metal gleams and the colors radiate. I have to assume that if this "68" we are discussing is anything north of my "66", it's a pretty coin.

But that is just one man's partial but fully uninformed opinion..... Mr. Blay, how about your opinion? Does the coin exceed the photo for real?

And just to say so, I went to 72K on the photo alone. North of that is too much if I ever want to buy any other coins to fill my collection!

• Options
    Sorry - the "66" RB photo was too big to fit, but check out the Registry site and you get the idea......

http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/publishedset.aspx?s=41931&ac=1

Cheers,
    Duane

• Options
    Just curious - how much is the NGC PF68RB 1909VDB worth? Ex: John Story Jenks.
  • Options

<< <i>Just curious - how much is the NGC PF68RB 1909VDB worth? Ex: John Story Jenks. >>

I guess it has out of this world toning? Evan G told me the story behind that one. IMO, coin would do best in PCGS plastic, PR67RB would be fine.
    $150K+
  • Options
    manofcoins- your link is not working. I always enjoys looking at $100,000 coins.
    Mark

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just curious - how much is the NGC PF68RB 1909VDB worth? Ex: John Story Jenks. >>

TDN, where is that coin now? I've only heard about its greatness, but never seen it.
    Doug
  • Options
    Sort of lost in this auction furor is a VERY nice 1916 PR67RD Angeldees has.

I seen this at Baltimore, a frosty red coin. Beginning to think the price at just under 30K may be 'barganish', once these '16s become more sought after, to complete some of these nice sets now forming.
  • Options

<< <i>

TDN, where is that coin now? I've only heard about its greatness, but never seen it. >>

Legend will have it on display in Chicago. It's a customer's coin.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sort of lost in this auction furor is a VERY nice 1916 PR67RD Angeldees has.
    >>

I assume that is the " top pop" in the NGC holder. Obviously, if it could "cross" to a PCGS 67RD holder it would probably command a $100K+ value. Steveimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Sort of lost in this auction furor is a VERY nice 1916 PR67RD Angeldees has.
    >>

I assume that is the " top pop" in the NGC holder. Obviously, if it could "cross" to a PCGS 67RD holder it would probably command a $100K+ value. Steveimage >>

Angel Dees coin is a NGC PR67"RB" not RD imo, coin would not cross to PCGS PR67RB. Stewart's 1916 PCGS PR67RB "OGH" is the only one graded.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

>>

I assume that is the " top pop" in the NGC holder. Obviously, if it could "cross" to a PCGS 67RD holder it would probably command a $100K+ value. Steveimage >>

I think it is a 67red brown at Angel Dee's

Thanks for the heads up, TDN. I've heard it is one of the most beautiful MPL's in existence.
    Doug
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

TDN, where is that coin now? I've only heard about its greatness, but never seen it. >>

Legend will have it on display in Chicago. It's a customer's coin. >>

TDN,

Thanks for the heads up on this coin, I will stop by and take a lookimage
  • Options
    manofcoins- I am sorry, i see how you could have read more into my reply than intended. I was making observation that your link did not work. You post a lot and seem very knowlegeable about coins and i wanted to view yours. The "i always enjoy looking at $100,000 dollar coins" was not aimed at you. You asked "so is 100k your standard for greatness??" I am not sure what my standard for greatness is. A guy writing a check for 100k coin to add to the family collection is more impressive to me than a dealer buying a 100k coin to flip it. There is not a large group of coin collectors willing to write a check that big.

Mark

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    Honestly, when I think of $200,000 coins a 1909VDB MPL doesn't come to mind. But I suppose it certainly represents better value than some recent prices realized in auction! image
  • Options
    Just too bad back in the day they didnt put just a FEW vdb matte proofs away in an argon filled glass sphere, direct off the coinage press. Handpicked, touched by a white gloved master coiner with a gleam in his eye.

It would be interesting to have a few 1909 VDB PR70RD's to kick around, wouldnt it?
  • Options

Still climbing!!
  • Options
    "still climbing"-hehehe
    but what gets me...
    tradedollarnut
    is replying in these matte proof post's
    "i'm in shock"

• Options
    so of note is this week pcgs price guide hikes the list price of the 1914 in pr68 to....
    $50k
    hmmm

• Options

<< <i>so of note is this week pcgs price guide hikes the list price of the 1914 in pr68 to....
    $50k
    hmmm >>

Yes,

After the auction it will most likely jump once again to reflect the final price.