Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Paypal claim denied...seller keeps coins UPDATE..I GOT MONEY BACK AFTERALL

My long standing claim against seller " docowen" was denied without comment by Paypal tonight.

Filed as a not as described on Feb15th, seller sold me 4 cam Frankies...sent me 4 Kennedys instead. As an Ebay veteran, I did everything properly, filed all claims and forms, and went up against a bigger powerseller.

Paypal says FFFF you !!!! Seller gets to keep the coins AND the money !!!! HaHAHa

I think EBay knows I am a straight shooter, but says F you !!!!! anyways.
" YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08

Comments

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Did you pay with a credit card? You could always do a charge back.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Never trust PayPal - if you can avoid it, do so. Chargeback.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you paid by credit card, which I always do, you can initiate a chargeback through the card and avoid PayPal entirely.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    CC chargeback is the correct avenue, if you paid with a credit card.

Also, you can call PP and ask for a supervisor. Explain the issue; tell
    them you were defrauded, and want to appeal their ruling.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    That bights!! As the above has said, Denie the CC charge. image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    I guess paying with a funded balance gives me zero leverage.

It is best not to type when P'd off, so I'll hold my breath tonight. I am stunned at the arrogance ( foolish , I know). Hopefully the new website will take off decent, a cpl coins sold in 1st week live already. I soooooo want to screw Ebay, lol. My 2 negs are from a NARUD crook too, wow the arrogance of those F'ers.

Thanks for the concern guys,
    Jack
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you paid by credit card, which I always do, you can initiate a chargeback through the card and avoid PayPal entirely. >>

When paying with paypal how do you make sure it gets charged to your credit card and not taken out of your paypal funds?

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options
    "When paying with paypal how do you make sure it gets charged to your credit card and not taken out of your paypal funds? "

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The menu asks you where the funds are from.

Choose the desired credit-card in the list.
  • Options
    thats a new one ! more often than not, paypal sides with the buyer. cant you file a non-reciept of goods ? after all, at this point, you have nothing to show for the payment.
  • Options
    "... cant you file a non-reciept of goods ? after all, at this point, you have nothing to show for the payment. "

/////////////////////////////////

The seller likely presented proof of delivery......... of the wrong items.

The buyer likely returned the package; mistakenly thinking the seller was acting in good faith.

An INR claim will not fly, now.
  • Options
    Seller shipped sig confirmation, I signed for package.......I guess thats all the proof they need, no matter whats IN the package...

Not received claim was filed in JAN, then seller sent tracking #, that claim was cancelled. I had to refile a "not as described" and thats the one they blew me off on....
  • Options
    "Not received claim was filed in JAN, then seller sent tracking #, that claim was cancelled. I had to refile a "not as described" and thats the one they blew me off on...."

////////////////////////////////////////////////////

If you filed the INR after you signed the ticket, AND THEN followed-up with
    a SNAD claim after the INR was denied, PP probably thought you were
    acting in bad faith. (It is a pretty common tactic among persistent scamsters.)

I would call PP and talk to the highest-up person I could. Be nice until they
    start throwing impossible roadblocks; then, ask them who at PP is authorized to
    receive service of legal process. Make sure you have the TOP person on the
    phone before you give-up.
  • Options
    Did you have proof that you returned to item to the guy? What was their rationale for denying the not-as-advertised claim? Why don't you go down to the courthouse and try to file a criminal case against the guy. Over $100 is a felony in a lot of places.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Call paypal. If you are a seller accepting enough paypal payments they have assigned you an account rep just like ebay. --Jerry
  • Options
    NEVER leave five cents in a Pay Pal account for five minutes!

I have a problem now with Pay Pal. It's something I sold and the package shows delivered! Pal Pal is now "reviewing the case". How long does it take to check a tracking number, a month?
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

Below is the info supplied on the eBay "me" page for "docowen". Why not just start calling him everyday ?

Mckee Coins,Inc., Owen C. Mckee, 213 East Main Street, Ottumwa,Iowa 52501, 1-641-684-6006 mckeecoin@pcsia.net

The seller was doing a high volume on eBay. Could have easily been a clerical mistake both before and after the sale. Any reason why you didn't try to call the seller before filing a PP claim?

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    something makes me think we're not getting 100% of the story.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>something makes me think we're not getting 100% of the story. >>

I have that same feeling.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When paying with paypal how do you make sure it gets charged to your credit card and not taken out of your paypal funds? >>

You have to drain your PayPal balance first, which entails a few "are you sure" prompts, then select the credit card from the alternate funding options, which will be an inconspicuous location on the page in 4 point text, usually medium gray on a light gray background, go through a few more "are you sure" prompts, and then make the payment. If you need to make another payment, you need to repeat the process, since you can't save "credit card" as default payment method.
  • Options
    If the seller is an ANA or PNG member, I would file a formal complaint. Additionally, you may want to let him know that you've gotten "beyond the money" at this point and now are proceeding on principle. Tell him you intend to file a claim with his local BBB and, moreover and WORSE for him, you intend to fully pursue mail fraud charges against him with the USPS. In other words, I would threaten to make this even more of a hassle for him than this has already been. Depending on how or if he responds, I would be prepared to follow through with all of this.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>When paying with paypal how do you make sure it gets charged to your credit card and not taken out of your paypal funds? >>

You have to drain your PayPal balance first, which entails a few "are you sure" prompts, then select the credit card from the alternate funding options, which will be an inconspicuous location on the page in 4 point text, usually medium gray on a light gray background, go through a few more "are you sure" prompts, and then make the payment. If you need to make another payment, you need to repeat the process, since you can't save "credit card" as default payment method. >>

I saw 85 bucks in my account the other day and drained it immediately. I now only use credit card also, partially for the points......
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    jgrinzjgrinz Posts: 985 ✭✭✭
    I have dealt with McKEE before - BOTH times they sent the wrong items.
    They were minor so I did not bother sending back ( At least I got to keep something )
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Is it possible that this seller got two shipments crossed up and someone else got your Frankies?

If that's the case, AND the person who received your Frankies is keeping his/her mouth shut, the seller might (understandably) think you're trying to pull a fast one and scam him. That's especially true if the person who paid for the Kennedys (but got your Frankies) is being dishonest and not admitting they got the wrong item.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Have you called the seller, I have had some minor issues with them and they took care of it right away.

Also, did you provide PP with a proof of siggy that you returned the items to the seller?
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options

<< <i>something makes me think we're not getting 100% of the story. >>

You did not get 100% because I went to bed.

Seller would not Ebay invoice me, only sending paypal invoices with an extra 4% added on for paypal charge. This is against the rules. After seeing sellers feedback, I refused to send a check. after CALLING seller twice, I finally paid the paypal with the added 4% THEN reported him for the surcharge. Seller never shipped. I filed non receipt claim.

I THEN received the tracking # and a cpl days later, the WRONG coins.....

I THEN called seller and was told to take a hike......so, I THEN filed the not as described only AFTER caling seller TWICE again and being hung up on. I did NOT return the coins PER paypal pending the investigation for not as described......

I bought these from my buy account, not with my sell account, although both accounts share the sme paypal. I think you can tell by my feedback that I am a shyster, sellers feedback is clean as a whistle...NOT. Call it tuition.....I now know that the paypal folks and ebay folks use fee generated and commision paid as the REAL credibility factor, not any thing like 30-40 complaints for same issue from same seller. Me bad for buying fro a seller with horrible feedback. Call it tuition......

Theres the story, Im sticking to it, and I am leaving for work....will not be able to check boards untill this evening
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    I would love to see the ebay auction you won, but I think it's gone after 90 days, do you have a copy to post. Something doesn't sound right. First of all cammies are hard to find in frankies, and as Kennedys they are plentiful. Sorry to hear your problems.

• Options
    I agree with ziggy. Sombody probably is happy to have your item and they are just not being honest. I don't know what to do? If mckee asked som1 else if they recieved the wrong coin, and they say No, then you will be out of luck. I guess you can ask them to meet you half way, but good luck anyway.
    my EBAY items
    Successful forum transactions: jessewvu, nankraut, tootawl, levinll, mistercoinman, metalsman, adamlaneus, chuckc, fivecents, kingplatinum, jdimmick, waterzooey, moderncoinmart, bige, steelielee,
  • Options
    DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856
    That sucks Jack...also that's weird that paypal actually sided with the seller. Hope you can get it resolved...
    aka Dan
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    am I the only one, but are others seeing where something may have been lost in translation in these proceedings?

• Options
    Small claims court. I'd sue the b@stard!
    Successful BST purchases from: WaterSport, commoncents123, Hyperion, mozeppa, Mar327, coinlieutenant, Placid, MFH, fishteeth, FilthyBroke, SilverEagles92, illini420, barberman55, pcgs69 (2x) & 123cents

History of the US Constitution Coin Set
  • Options
    SELLERS FEEDBACK

I'm pennysniper ( buyer account ) maybe, the coins will still show, who knows. Seller is obviously having some same issues from many buyers, not just me
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I know the auction they had that he is talking about, I won some proof cameo Frankies the 1st round (they were cheap). After that I left them alone because they were fetching way more than I wanted to spend. Well the Frankies arrived and cameo was a stretch. But for what I paid it wasn't worth the hassle and I stuck them into the proof rolls.

As for the 4% PP fee, they have never charged me with that, if you have the E-Mail on the invoice and if it's listed as a PP Fee Paypal is very quick to respond to those.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options

<< <i>SELLERS FEEDBACK

I'm pennysniper ( buyer account ) maybe, the coins will still show, who knows. Seller is obviously having some same issues from many buyers, not just me >>

That's some pretty poor feedback- Personally I would have avoided this seller, and will from now on!
    Looking to buy Morgans in ACG, INS, IGA, Old PCI photo, and Hannes Tulving holders.
  • Options
    DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856
    Is it just me or are these, well, not franklins?

Auction 1
    Auction 2
    Auction 3
    Auction 4
    aka Dan
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Seller would not Ebay invoice me, only sending paypal invoices with an extra 4% added on for paypal charge. This is against the rules. After seeing sellers feedback, I refused to send a check. after CALLING seller twice, I finally paid the paypal with the added 4% THEN reported him for the surcharge. Seller never shipped. I filed non receipt claim.

I THEN received the tracking # and a cpl days later, the WRONG coins..... >>

This seller has a live auction that typically has over a hundred lots to package up and ship. I'm not sure how long it took him to ship your lot, but I've waited over a week to receive the lots I won. Not unusual for an auction house, especially a small one.

<< <i>I THEN called seller and was told to take a hike......so, I THEN filed the not as described only AFTER caling seller TWICE again and being hung up on. I did NOT return the coins PER paypal pending the investigation for not as described...... >>

I find it hard to believe that PP would have told you not to return them. When I've been on the other side of the story, the buyer simply returned the items and provided the signature that I had received them back. PP claims that the buyer has a full right of return (basically the right to cancel the contract) within X number of days. PP refunded money to buyer.

If you sent them back with signature confirmation, you should still be able to appeal the PP ruling with the signature confirmation and get your money back.
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    'xactly why i don't use pay pimp!

shameful....simply shameful....I'm glad that my conscience would bother me had i wronged anyone!
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    I am going to presume the images of the Frankies where switched with images of Morgans??

Something just doesn't feel right about image switching after the auction is over.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭
    This whole scenario sucks!

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it just me or are these, well, not franklins?

Auction 1
    Auction 2
    Auction 3
    Auction 4 >>

You would be correct, those are not franklins. That looks like a group, if the pictures are the same that were posted in the original auction, are mistakes. I find a large number of those on a weekly basis and just in my small concentrated area of collecting. As a bidder, you either don't bid, ask a lot of questions and possibly get new pictures, or take your chances.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    hah, i would never ever bid on a seller with feedback like that.
    i know i am not helping you in anyway but buying coins from
    people like that is just not worth it, rare or whatever.

pass on that seller perm.
  • Options
    Those were not the images, they were Frankies I bid on and won.

The paypal folks told me to hang on to all packaging and await further instructions from them, which I did. When I called last night to check on status of claim, I was told it would be complete by end of shift last night. I checked paypal and it was denied, no explanation email, no nothing Case closed, no refund. Paypal never followed up with me on the 4% either, which I also reported to Ebay AND sent the invoice email, all headers attached , by the book, by the rules every step of the way.

New customer protection policy I guess.....who ever pays more fees wins......

Why am I doing this on my lunch break? Call me crazy

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Below is the info supplied on the eBay "me" page for "docowen". Why not just start calling him everyday ?

Mckee Coins,Inc., Owen C. Mckee, 213 East Main Street, Ottumwa,Iowa 52501, 1-641-684-6006 mckeecoin@pcsia.net

The seller was doing a high volume on eBay. Could have easily been a clerical mistake both before and after the sale. Any reason why you didn't try to call the seller before filing a PP claim? >>

Seems like they'd be worth a call.
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    This incident would almost make someone bid on and win a bunch more of his auctions! image
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Below is the info supplied on the eBay "me" page for "docowen". Why not just start calling him everyday ?

The seller was doing a high volume on eBay. Could have easily been a clerical mistake both before and after the sale. Any reason why you didn't try to call the seller before filing a PP claim? >>

Seems like they'd be worth a call. >>

<< <i>I THEN called seller and was told to take a hike......so, I THEN filed the not as described only AFTER caling seller TWICE again and being hung up on. I did NOT return the coins PER paypal pending the investigation for not as described...... >>

And get hung up on again?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>SELLERS FEEDBACK

I'm pennysniper ( buyer account ) maybe, the coins will still show, who knows. Seller is obviously having some same issues from many buyers, not just me >>

THIS SELLER REALLY SUCKS ..WHY bid WITH THIs AXXHOLE IN the 1st place ?
  • Options
    I bid on and received a California commemorative from this seller that had been dipped and damaged. I returned it within the 3 days and got a refund to my PayPal account. Perhaps I was lucky! I called them on the phone because they did not respond to my emails. I was left wondering if their big auction was a bit overwhelming to them.
  • Options
    Calling him is a great idea, if you haven't done so already. I've seen a lot of disputes that could easily have been eliminated with the use of a single phone call. Please don't leave negative feedback until you speak with him (or at least TRY to do so) first. Leaving a NEG will make it less likely that your problem will get resolved amicably.

Also, if he won't resolve your problem, why not see if he is listed with ANA and then you can report him there as well?

Please visit our eBay store:
    FESTIVUS MAXIMUS - (Opened in 1998, 1000+ transactions, 99.9+% positive feedback)
    ** Recently completed our first two successful CU transactions: thanks dragon!
  • Options
    eBay won't let you modify anything about an auction once it either has a bid or has ended, so you can't engage in image switching under those circumstances although you may ADD additional information to a pending auction if it has a bid. (You can switch images if there are no bids, however.)

<< <i>I am going to presume the images of the Frankies where switched with images of Morgans??

Something just doesn't feel right about image switching after the auction is over. >>

FESTIVUS MAXIMUS - (Opened in 1998, 1000+ transactions, 99.9+% positive feedback)
  • Options
    TOOLHAUS -- That's a pretty cool eBay tool! Never saw that before.

<< <i>SELLERS FEEDBACK >>

• Options

<< <i>eBay won't let you modify anything about an auction once it either has a bid or has ended, so you can't engage in image switching under those circumstances although you may ADD additional information to a pending auction if it has a bid. (You can switch images if there are no bids, however.) >>

If you host your own images, you can switch them! You can also make changes to the auction if you put the verbage in an image file and then host it as well. It is not ethical and not something I would do, but it is possible technically...
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file