Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wanna see my Feuchtwanger Token Collection?...

NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just thought I'd share my Feuchtwanger Hard Times Tokens. I started collecting these in 2006. My first one was a ANACS VF-20 6I purchased from JadeRareCoins. My latest addition is the HT-262, 3 cent piece. Will be adding many more in the future, gotta add more die marriages to the mix. The holed one cent on the right is Pedigreed to our very own lordmarcovan and will remain that way on the 2x2 insert. Enjoy!

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,082 ✭✭✭
    Nice set!

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,644 ✭✭✭✭
    That is really cool. Thanks for sharing it.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Nice set going on there.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The second holey one looks vaguely familiar somehow. What's the pedigree on that one? image

Is that HT-262 with the NY coat of arms really rare? Gotta be. I have never seen one. Very cool looking.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Pretty cool set you have there.
  • Options

<< <i>The second holey one looks vaguely familiar somehow. What's the pedigree on that one? image
    Reread my post.image

Is that HT-262 with the NY coat of arms really rare? Gotta be. I have never seen one. Very cool looking. >>

The HT-262 is listed as an R-3, it's scarce and much more rarer than the cent pieces but can be had.

Thanks for the comments guys.
  • Options
    Wow, apparently I'm "holey" in my reading comprehension, too. image

I'm glad that piece has a worthy home. I'm happy with the upgrade I got, but the repunched date on that other was nifty.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice collection. I had no idea there were so many varieties.
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Well i was gonna answer no to the title question (image) but since you showed them anyways...

Very Nice! I too have never seen the NY CoA design either.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool, and a nice display.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell us more - what was he pushing re: composition/design and why?
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    that is beautiful... and great presentation!

-sm
  • Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The second holey one looks vaguely familiar somehow. What's the pedigree on that one? image >>

Waiting to see ex-lordmarcovan on a holey coin.
    I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very, very nice. and yes I am jealous.... are ya happy nowimage

I have been seriously checking them out lately and getting ready to jump in after seeing your's

Niceimage

Stefanie
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An intresting and kool set indeed...image
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I read your title I thought that you were practicing a pick up line image

Nice collection!
  • Options

<< <i>When I read your title I thought that you were practicing a pick up line image

Nice collection! >>

Damn your right, the title does sound weird.image
  • Options

<< <i>Tell us more - what was he pushing re: composition/design and why? >>

Here's what Conder101 had to say about why the U.S. never adopted the composition:

"One Feuchtwanger had patented his composition and wanted royalties for supplying the mint with the alloy. Two, at the time there was no significant production of Nickel in the US and the metal for the coinage would all have to be imported from outside the country. The mint was looking for a replacement for the copper cent since the cost of the copper was almost equal to the face value of the coin and they were in danger of coing them at a loss. With the royalties an the importation costs there would have been no real advantage to the Feuchtwanger composition over that of the copper.

Even when they did fianlly go to a coppernickel composition in 1857 it still was not liked at the mint because it was very difficult to create the alloy because of the extremely high melting point of the nickel, and the resulting alloy was very hard on the coinage dies and even so did not strike up well. It became even worse when congress mandated the 75% copper 25% nickel three cent and five cent pieces a few years later. That is why it is difficult to find fully struck three and five cent nickels and why it is almost impossible to find coins that don't come from cracked dies. Before 1865/6 the number of die pairs the Philadelphia mint had to make each year for all denominations amounted to a few hundred pairs. In 1868 they were making over 1400 pairs just for the nickels alone."

The Hard Times token book has about a 3 page write up on Dr. Feuchtwanger. It's a good read.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrific set, now you have me thinking that I need to get me one of those.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    For the day crew.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting.. I had never seen a set of those before. Thanks, Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Very cool, I love the three cent. image
  • Options
    I want to get the whole selection one day...they are pretty cool coins...Here is my humble selection:

• Options
    Cool batch!
  • Options
    The blobby letters in ONE CENT on the reverse of your second one are interesting, Steve.

• Options
    ahooka454ahooka454 Posts: 3,466
    Thats a very cool collection there.
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭
    reviving this thread so everybody can bring their Feuchties out!!! by the way, are dates known other than 1837 and 1864?? that seems like an extreme span of years to have no issues in between

greg

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭
    what? no love for the feuchtwangers?? surely somebody has some pics to share

greg

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    I love the eagle on those- nice collection.
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>reviving this thread so everybody can bring their Feuchties out!!! by the way, are dates known other than 1837 and 1864?? that seems like an extreme span of years to have no issues in between

greg >>

I think you should send that nasty old thing to me.

Stefanie

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file