Home U.S. Coin Forum

Why, Why, Why,

morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
Do people continue to pay over inflated prices, on junk, despite all the info on TPG's all over the Web?

We have a sub-culture, maybe in the 10's of thousands that are totally mislead.

This is not a 7, or a DMPL. It's a brilloed common date worth melt.

What will the look on their face be, when they make the trip to a B&M to liquidate? Shock -n- Awe?

NAC (not a certification)

Junkslablink
World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

Comments

• FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Ebay seems to have directed most of their effort toward eliminating PCI and SEGS slabs from the marketplace,
    along with properly graded raw coins, Daniel Carr's patterns and even GSA dollars... while allowing really abusive
    junk like this to be listed -- at the same time "protecting" the bidders from being warned by hiding their IDs on ALL items.

Barry Stupler and others at the ANA seem proud of their improvements in eBay compared to 6 months ago.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com

• << <i>Ebay seems to have directed most of their effort toward eliminating PCI and SEGS slabs from the marketplace,
    along with properly graded raw coins, Daniel Carr's patterns and even GSA dollars... while allowing really abusive
    junk like this to be listed -- at the same time "protecting" the bidders from being warned by hiding their IDs on ALL items.

Barry Stupler and others at the ANA seem proud of their improvements in eBay compared to 6 months ago. >>

You seem to always tell it like it is Frank, thanks.
    John
    Chance favors the prepared mind.
    imageimageimage
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What will the look on their face be, when they make the trip to a B&M to liquidate? Shock -n- Awe? >>

Grading that coin a 67 is beyond ridiculous. I think this is why more and more dealers just decline to make any offer on certain items. If they offer anything, the customer is insulted and thinks the B&M person is trying to rip them. "$15? $15? I paid over $200 for this, you thief!" Have seen it happen when people try to sell the stuff they bought on the home shopping channels.

It is a mystery why you see stuff like that sell for far more than real value.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    I think that a lot of times, when you see obscene prices bid, its a spouse or S/O trying to buy a nice gift for their beloved coin collector. I remember once, many years ago, my ex bought be an 1882 CC Morgan for Christmas. It was supposed to be "brilliant uncirculated". She had no clue and the seller knew this. The coin was at best a very fine, had been cleaned, and someone had taken a sharp implement and scratched the words "In God We Trust" off of the coin. Fortunately, I was able to get the seller to issue a full refund and an apology. Needless to say, that was the last coin (other than mint sets) that she ever bought.
    Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • curlycurly Posts: 2,880

It's a shame, that's for sure, but sometimes you just can't save people from themselves. Whoever bought it will just have to deal with it.
    Every man is a self made man.

• Is that sticker on the back from CAC?
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<It's a mystery why you see stuff like that sell for far more than real value. >>

A mystery, how about a phenomena.

When they find out the DMPL Morgan they paid $200 for is only worth .773 x spot,

they will leave the hobby with a nasty taste in their mouth.

Multiply this example times thousands, pretty disturbing.
    <<Is that sticker on the back from CAC?>>

It sure is similar. Another misleading component to the slab?

• << <i>Ebay seems to have directed most of their effort toward eliminating PCI and SEGS slabs from the marketplace,

Barry Stupler and others at the ANA seem proud of their improvements in eBay compared to 6 months ago. >>

"I am sorry you are unhappy with the care you recieved, is their anything I can do for you right now, how about some high speed lead therapy?" - A qoute from my wife's nursing forum

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." – Thomas Jefferson
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "...they will leave the hobby with a nasty taste in their mouth."
    I think you assume they entered Numismatics for the right reason in the first place. I think not.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

1882 O DMPL MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR

OFFICALLY MINTED AT THE US MINT

ALMOST 126 YEARS OLD-OFFICIALLY MINTED AT THE US MINT

AT COINMADZ YOU ARE TREATED LIKE FAMILY!

COINMADZ IS A NAME YOU CAN TRUST – SATISFACTION IS ALWAYS GUARANTEED: 100% MONEY BACK!

FANTASTIC GIFT IDEA-GOLD GIFT BOX INCLUDED!

THE COIN IN THE PHOTOS IS THE ONE YOU WILL RECEIVE!

HERE IS WHAT YOU GET:

MS MORGAN DOLLAR

GOLD GIFT BOX SHOWN

VELVET GIFT BAG

SATISFACTION GUARANTEE

"<<...they will leave the hobby with a nasty taste in their mouth.">>

Excellent point, guess they weren't meant to collect in the first place.
  • CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭
    Why?...They are newcomers to buying coins, refuse to do their "homework", or are taken in by fancy ads......Still, things are improving from the past. The info is out there, easily availible, if people just take the time.....I and think most, need to pay some "dues" in the learning how to buy process image
  • Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

<< <i>AT COINMADZ YOU ARE TREATED LIKE FAMILY! >>

Yeah, I know that feeling! image
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • alfalfaalfalfa Posts: 275 ✭✭
    Wow, that sticker does look quite similar to a CAC sticker! I hope the buyer doesn't thinke he got a "stickered" coin...

RJ
  • << AT COINMADZ YOU ARE TREATED LIKE FAMILY! >>

yep - just like the red-headed stepchild!
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's another NAC that has been bid up to $280 so far.
    bob
    imageimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • OffMetalOffMetal Posts: 1,684
    If only I had the powers to pull listings... if only...

I would be on eBay day and night pulling listings.
    -Ben T. * Collector of Errors! * Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • <<I and think most, need to pay some "dues" in the learning how to buy process >>

You had me up until that point. Why is it ok for a coin dealer or seller "take" a newbi? I dont get how some call this "paying dues"? Lets call it what it is, Fruad.

I agree that it is in the hands of the buyer to know what they are spending their money on, but come on.
  • Knowledge, is the most powerful asset you have. People (Companies) target those with little, or no knowledge at all. Some people are just, not meant to collect. I don't feel sorry for anybody, that jumps it to this game, head first!! "Dumb Money"
    SEE the BULL!! BUY the BULL!! BE the BULL!! Do your homework first. And, you will learn alot!!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is population control. Stuff like this is the "natural disaster" of the coin market, that'll claim the weak or unprepared as victims. They'll pay moon money to a scammer, get mad at a real dealer when he gives them the bad news, and then they'll realize they've been made chumps by the time they go to their second or third real B&M dealers.

Like any natural disaster, it's sad, and we should try to minimize the damage, but a certain element will always be victims, I fear.

It's too bad, because the walking victims of frauds like this will spread their bitterness.

But otherwise, there would be a lot more folks in the hobby, most likely.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>

<< <i>AT COINMADZ YOU ARE TREATED LIKE FAMILY! >>

Yeah, I know that feeling! image >>

Ha! yeah, not any family i wanna' be a part of.

"here at Coinmadz, we treat you like Family! You know, the kind of family you hear on the news that locks their family members in dog kennels and feeds them raw meat; and when you've had your fill of rancid meat, we'll take you in the back yard to hose you down and give you a good brillo scrub. Welcome!"

• BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like an inbred cousin.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why?...They are newcomers to buying coins, refuse to do their "homework", or are taken in by fancy ads......Still, things are improving from the past. The info is out there, easily availible, if people just take the time.....I and think most, need to pay some "dues" in the learning how to buy process >>

Gotta agree with coinlearner on that.

There's still an awful lot of snake oil out there, but we have at least distanced ourselves the bad old "sight-unseen" mailorder days.

Same crooks, different MO. At least now you can look at a picture of something like this before you buy.

What gets me is that these sellers seem to have no shame. Apparently being made a laughingstock doesn't bother them, because they know that for every person who laughs, there's a sucker who'll be taken in.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • I too am concerned that it will sour some people to the hobby. However, there are people who can only seem to learn that fire is hot, is to be burned by it.
  • <<< Why is it ok for a coin dealer or seller "take" a newbi? I dont get how some call this "paying dues"? Lets call it what it is, Fruad.>>>

Didn't you say this in yesterdays thread?

<<<from elderly unknowing citizens at a major rip, then sell on fleabay for buckets of chedda.>>>

Double speak?
  • I dont rip elderly. The thread yesterday was a humorous one. My response today, on this thread is serious.
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm incredibly grateful for posts such as this one...it just reminds me that I need to be thankful that I have never been taken seriously by any of these crooks.

I truly feel sorry for these people that would like to collect, but just don't have a clue as to what they are doing and what they are spending their money on.

Thanks for posting...

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

it's hard to feel sorry for someone that refuses to educate themselves before making a stupid move.. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is this seller's feedback 100% when he's got negs?
    NEGLINK
  • <<<it's hard to feel sorry for someone that refuses to educate themselves before making a stupid move.. >>>

True, What's the name of those birds that gather shiny things to make their nests look attractive? People do the same thing in coins and used cars. There's a reason why used car dealers use lots of armor-all and car wax. Nice shiny things attract, pardon me...birdbrains.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><< AT COINMADZ YOU ARE TREATED LIKE FAMILY! >> >>

So what they are doing to you would then be considered incest?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanted some of those holders but my "source" is no longer contactable image
    I don't like the way the ring shows through the translucent plastic, but the size is close enough to PCGS, I believe, that I would rather store some of my raw, but slightly higher end, coins in those than 2x2s or flips. As it is, I picked up a bunch of the old Anacs sized ones to use. I don't like them as much, but for the price, it was good.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• erroiderroid Posts: 795
    This is by no means the only fraud going on at eBay; take a look at this auction( 180221760724 ), I wrote the seller last night, 3 hours before the auction ended and sent this to the "winner" this morning: "Concerning that 1802 Bust $ that you won: I wrote the seller that the piece appears to be a cast counterfeit and the, so called wear, on the reverse is from erasing either COPY or REPLICA. I'd be looking at the piece very carefully. John" The seller never answered but the buyer wrote back saying "Thanks". eBay is couldn't care less; they're to busy county their profits....
    John G Bradley II
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    linker

Just a thanks? That all you got?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • OffMetalOffMetal Posts: 1,684

<< <i>How is this seller's feedback 100% when he's got negs?
    NEGLINK >>

It's rounded up... if the FB is >99.95%, then it counts as 100%
    -Ben T. * Collector of Errors! * Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • erroiderroid Posts: 795
    Actually it was "Thanks John, Bruce", but at least he acknowledged the note.
    John G Bradley II
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can tell these are whizzed junk even from a pictures.

How does NAC get away with this? How could eBay allow this?
    Tempus fugit.
  • direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is that sticker on the back from CAC? >>

I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• GRADED TO
    NUMISMATIC
    AUTHENTICATION
    COMPANY
    STANDARDS

Shouldn't that read "LACK OF STANDARDS" on the slab.

That coin has been buffed so hard it no longer has the proper amount of silver left in it.
  • DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856

<< <i>If only I had the powers to pull listings... if only...

I would be on eBay day and night pulling listings. >>

One can dream...image If I had pull power even for just one day I'll bet I could do a lot of damage to these ripoff-artists. image If only...image
    aka Dan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file