Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Rackie Robinson RC Investment - UPDATE! Now it's a CONTEST! FREE CARD! WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Comments

• Options
    Heck, i'd be happy with that for my PC. Great eye appeal IMO, nice card!!!!
    Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky
  • Options

<< <i>From your original post:

<< <i>it's OC. It DOES NOT have the qualifier though. Honestly, the grader was BLIND because this think is ridiculously OC (which, obviously detracts from it's eye-appeal). It's got great corners and almost NO other wear >>

After seeing the card, it's graded accurately and think you calling the grader "BLIND" was inappropriate.

/ $0.02 >>

What I mean (and thought I protrayed accurately) was that it's ridiculously OC, but does not have the qualifier (meaning I thought it SHOULD have been OC). Then another poster informed me that because of a 4's centering guidelines, a 4OC does nt really exist.

Did you see any of that?
  • Options

<< <i>Heck, i'd be happy with that for my PC. Great eye appeal IMO, nice card!!!! >>

Thanks man! The intention was to try to flip it to get a 49 Bowman Robinson for my set. I might just keep this for my PC though, and get the 49 another time. I'm worried that I might not profit on this card.

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Heck, i'd be happy with that for my PC. Great eye appeal IMO, nice card!!!! >>

Thanks man! The intention was to try to flip it to get a 49 Bowman Robinson for my set. I might just keep this for my PC though, and get the 49 another time. I'm worried that I might not profit on this card. >>

List it with a reserve.
  • Options
    That's the problem, I dont kow how much to list it for.

The last two (thanks to DataDriven05 for the links) sold at $511.00 and $570.89. I think mine's condition is closer to the second auction.

The $511.00 acution
    The $587.89 auction

Should I try a $600.00 or best offer auction format? Or let her go with a $500.00 reserve?

• Options
    Also, why are these listings so high? Should I be asking more?

PSA 1 for $525.00
    PSA 3MK for $675.00
    PSA 4 for $795.00
  • Options

<< <i>Also, why are these listings so high? Should I be asking more?

PSA 1 for $525.00
    PSA 3MK for $675.00
    PSA 4 for $795.00 >>

Well, there are better eBay experts than me here, but I did a quick bit of research for you. The 10th current finest 48 Leaf set on the Reg is 94% complete and missing the Robinson. Maybe he would be interested. You should email him. He has 4's in his set. Maybe you could swing a deal for something you're looking for or another cool card and grab some good karma for trading with a registry guy.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if the registry guy might be reading this thread and might not be so quick offer you profit? Just a thought...
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder if the registry guy might be reading this thread and might not be so quick offer you profit? Just a thought... >>

You could be right. I was just trying to provide him another possible way to part with the card. Is that your registry? I wasn't sure if there was etiquette to posting someone else's registry info on the board so I just said what number on the current finest (basically a "go see for yourself" post). If there is etiquette there that I violated, please let me know so I can avoid it in the future.
  • Options
    It's not Pauls set, no, and as far as I know, there's no etiquette that you've violated. A ton of people were talking about the 67T regitsry when Bryon got his lot of cards in the Mantle thread.

Paul, I agree though, I've already said what I paid, so they might not be quick to buy if they see this.

My two outstanding questions are still open...

1) Should I try a $600.00 or best offer auction format? Or let her go with a $500.00 reserve?
    2) Also, why are these listings so high? Should I be asking more? (see links below)

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd list it at .01 with no reserve. no reason it wont go over $500.
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I wonder if the registry guy might be reading this thread and might not be so quick offer you profit? Just a thought... >>

You could be right. I was just trying to provide him another possible way to part with the card. Is that your registry? I wasn't sure if there was etiquette to posting someone else's registry info on the board so I just said what number on the current finest (basically a "go see for yourself" post). If there is etiquette there that I violated, please let me know so I can avoid it in the future. >>

No its not my set like Alan said, and IMO you did npot do anything wrong- your just helping a fellow board member out image

What I meant is he might be reading the thread and wont offer as much because he knows what Alan is into the card for. But if someone needs a card-myself included -sometimes money is not the formost issue!
  • Options

<< <i>I'd list it at .01 with no reserve. no reason it wont go over $500. >>

Even considering the centering?

• Options
    I'm off to the 4PM Monarchs game. Back at around 7:30 (eastern) or so. Please keep the replies coming as I'd like to get this on the Bay tonight (but I dont know which format is best).

Thanks all!!

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I think you should start it at $800 with a best offer option, then verbally assault anybody who offers less than $500.
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think you should start it at $800 with a best offer option, then verbally assault anybody who offers less than $500. >>

I will give you $401 for that card, today.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Pass on the card.

Buy the Bowman you need, you will have trouble flipping the Leaf card with the OC.

PS ALL Leaf cards are from 1949 not 1948, even the ones with the 1948 copyright.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    1949 Leaf and 1949 Bowman Rookies... ???

1946 Parade Sportive
    1947 Bond Bread Set (13)
    1947 Dodgers Team Issue
    1947 Fleetwood Slacks
    1947 Homogenized Bond
    1947 R346 Blue Tint 36
    1948 Dodgers Team Issue
    1948 Old Gold Cigarettes (2)
  • Options

<< <i>Pass on the card. >>

Should you be commenting on a thread you obviously haven't read?
  • Options
    bluemarlinbluemarlin Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1949 Leaf and 1949 Bowman Rookies... ???

1946 Parade Sportive
    1947 Bond Bread Set (13)
    1947 Dodgers Team Issue
    1947 Fleetwood Slacks
    1947 Homogenized Bond
    1947 R346 Blue Tint 36
    1948 Dodgers Team Issue
    1948 Old Gold Cigarettes (2) >>

The Leaf and Bowman are Robinson's first mainstream issues,That's why they are considered his
    rookie cards.
  • Options
    FKW, I think what TheMcgwireMuseum meant was that I already have the card, so I cant exactly pass on it.

• Options
    Jackie's on eBay!

I went with the $0.01 no reserve format.

CONTEST!!! Whoever guess closest (without going over) to the final bid wins a 2007 Upper Deck #65 Manny Ramirez card in PSA 10 (pop 2). Only one guess per person, no editing. Guesses must be in before 5PM (eastern) next Sunday.

Wish me luck on the card and good luck with your guesses!!!

• Options
    $556
  • Options
    bluemarlinbluemarlin Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    coachhcoachh Posts: 529
  • Options
    Oops, forgot to give the link to the auction...

1948 Leaf Jackie Robinson RC Rookie PSA 4 - No Reserve!
  • Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    mdkuommdkuom Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    $493.49
  • Options
    $436.70
    WTB:
    CINCINNATI REDS
    1976 - 1991 - Topps PSA 10
    1983 & 1985 Fleer PSA 10
    1985 Donruss PSA 10
    Blue Ink Signed Topps Cards
    Game-Used Bats/Jerseys
    OPC PSA 10
    MC & OC Cards

OTHER:
    Eric Davis Anything
    Votto, Willingham, Cantu, Doumit, Gomes
    Baron Davis Game Used Jersey
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    $375

Why did you edit the original post?
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>$375

Why did you edit the original post? >>

Just so people could jump right to the contest without having to read all the background on the investment (since it's irrelevant at this point because I've purchased the card).

Should I have left it alone? Sorry guys...
  • Options
    Sorry to see you flip that beauty but I will play and say 485.15
    Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry to see you flip that beauty but I will play and say 485.15 >>

Thanks for playing 70chip. Yeah, I normally would just keep it, but I'm REALLY looking forward to getting the Jackie I need for my set (49 Bowman). It's the toughest card in the set.

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    529.13image
  • Options

<< <i>529.13image >>

I love your optimism Randy :-)
  • Options
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    $526.01
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭
    $501.01
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    Atlanta Braves, Charlotte Hornets, Shawn Kemp, Dale Murphy, and Bobby Engram.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $399.99
  • Options
  • Options
    $511.31
  • Options
    Double post zanesdad!

Just kidding man :-)
  • Options
    That's waht I get for trying to watch Deal or No Deal and posting at the same time!
  • Options

<< <i>That's waht I get for trying to watch Deal or No Deal and posting at the same time! >>

Me too! This dude is gonna get hosed, I can feel it. He's still got the $500,000.00 left though..
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Glad he took the deal!