Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Rackie Robinson RC Investment - UPDATE! Now it's a CONTEST! FREE CARD! WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Details on the contest on page 4.

Thanks all!

Comments

• Options
    Well a PSA 4, OC does not really exist. Centering only has to be 85/15 for the grade. If the corners are nice, he may have submitted the card w/ NQ hence the lower grade.

If you like the card buy it! We can't tell you what to do with your money, and with no pictures it makes any advice even more useless.
  • Options
    I think the card is a wise investment, very rare series

BTW a PSA 6 o/c maybe a better investment than a psa 4 NQ on that particular card. Eg: maybe a regrade if it all around looks like a 6
  • Options
    RipublicaninMass, the 6 is def a better investment, but my intent is to immediately flip it. I'll have this card in my hands only enough time to eBay it. The point is to get the 49 Bowman Jackie.

I just dont want to get hosed on a $400 card.

And Justin, thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    I would buy it. They are few and far between. And like was said earlier, you can't really have a 4 OC. I guess its a personal decision. If you can't flip it, will it bother you being off center?

Jeff
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    IMO the card is worth 400.00, with the lack of eye appeal can it get 500.00 on ebay?

Tough to answer that question.

I don't see you getting hosed on it as it will at least fetch 400.00 on the ebay.

bottom line? It is a gamble.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Sounds like Joe knows the full value.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>I would buy it. They are few and far between. And like was said earlier, you can't really have a 4 OC. I guess its a personal decision. If you can't flip it, will it bother you being off center?

Jeff >>

Thanks Jeff,

It wouldnt bother me being OC, no. Heck, I'd take a torn in half Robinson RC to be honest. A NQ 4 is a dream. But..... the dillemma is I dont need the 48L, I need the 49B. I have no intentions of keeping the 48L.

So if I cant profit off this to get a 49B, then I might as well not do it at all... thats my dillemma.

• Options

<< <i>IMO the card is worth 400.00, with the lack of eye appeal can it get 500.00 on ebay? Tough to answer that question. I don't see you getting hosed on it as it will at least fetch 400.00 on the ebay.
    bottom line? It is a gamble. Steve >>

That's the thing... if it cant fetch $500, then I'll just skip it all together and apply my $400 (and save more) to my 49B Jackie.

I wish VCP showed you actual photos of the cards sold so I can see their eye-appeal and make my determination from there.

• Options
    Hey, I'm hittin the sack all, gotta work at 4AM.

Please keep the replies coming an I'll check-in tomorrow morning.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Alan for VCP go by price. If a card goes normally for 100.00 and you see one get 165.00
    take it to the bank that the card in question was hi end for the grade.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    rackie robinson???!!!
    wasn't that scooby doo's favorite player???image
  • Options

Could you post a scan? Quality certainly wasn't rampant with that issue. Lots of them, especially the low end, will have horrible centering - often times in both directions (top/bottom, left/right) I have a PSA 7 Spahn and a PSA 5 Kell from that set and they certainly aren't centered. With only 44 total graded on the Kell you take what you can get. Also how is the registration on the card?

One thing to consider though, between EBay/PayPal fees you will need to get in excess of $500 to probably make it worth the trouble if the 49 Bowman Robinson is what you truly desire. Seems like a lot of work to generate $100.
  • Options
    Yep, old Joe didn't leave much on the table.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    you should have offered $300 image
  • Options
    oops thought you were gonna try the leaf set
  • Options
    Hey guys, couldnt sleep...

Unfortunately I dont have a scan because he's still got the card.

The centering is awful, I'm not gonna lie...

Seems like my best bet is to apply the $400.00 to the 49B robinson....

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alan, IMO it might be best to leave well enough alone. You dont even want the card and its risky bussiness to try and make money in an auction especially if the card lacks eye appeal,I dont know much about that card and its rarity or demand but if money is an issue your prolly better playing safe and saving up for what YOU want without taking the chance. Thats just my 2 cents..
  • Options

<< <i>Alan, IMO it might be best to leave well enough alone. You dont even want the card and its risky bussiness to try and make money in an auction especially if the card lacks eye appeal,I dont know much about that card and its rarity or demand but if money is an issue your prolly better playing safe and saving up for what YOU want without taking the chance. Thats just my 2 cents.. >>

I appreciate your honesty Paul.

Maybe I can get him to let me "borrow" the card to scan it and show you guys, and go from there?

• Options
    Scans would definately be better, these guys would be able to give you a better idea then, Im sure...
  • Options
    I'll see what I can do with the scan.

Thanks again Paul!
  • Options

Here are two PSA 4's that recently ended on EBay... How do you think they stack up?

J-Rob #1

J-Rob #2
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only have one question.....

Who's "Rackie" Robinson? image

Steve
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭✭
    i'll trade you this for the psa 4 leaf robinson: =-)

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Get him drunk and low ball him for 200-250
  • Options

<< <i>rackie robinson???!!!
    wasn't that scooby doo's favorite player???image >>

lol

GET THIS CARD! IT IS EARLIER THAN THE "ROOKIE" GET IT OR BORROW IT, EBAY WITH A MINIMUM PRICE, AND EITHER SELL OR RETURN TO JOE. WHY NOT JUST GET THIS CARD, ARE YOU ENGULFED IN MADNESS?
  • Options
    BTW THE LEAF IS A..................................................................................................................................................................................................
    MUCH..........................NICER................................................CARD..........................................................................................................................

GET IT AND STOP BEING AN ARSE.
  • Options

<< <i>Here are two PSA 4's that recently ended on EBay... How do you think they stack up?

J-Rob #1

J-Rob #2 >>

Mine's MUCH nicer than J-ROB #1 and looks very similar to J-ROB #2.

• Options

<< <i>BTW THE LEAF IS A..................................................................................................................................................................................................
    MUCH..........................NICER................................................CARD..........................................................................................................................

GET IT AND STOP BEING AN ARSE. >>

LOL, I hear ya. Unfortunately I have no intentions of keeping it. This would solely be to flip to get a 49 Bowman "Rackie" LOL... I cant believe I called it Rackie
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    If your comparing it to the second, It brough $570. A no brainer to me..

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>If your comparing it to the second, It brough $570. A no brainer to me.. >>

Yeah, I think I'm gonna go for it.

It really does look almost identical to #2, but with better corners.

Geez, maybe I should buy it and resub it for the .5 bump, then flip it?

• Options
    Alan if it has the centering that you claim it will not get a bump. IMO

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Alan if it has the centering that you claim it will not get a bump. IMO Steve >>

You're probably right. I was just thinking that mine would have much more eye-appeal than those two... wishful thinking I guess.

Well, I'm meeting up with Joe on Saturday to take another look at the card. I'll let you all know what happened on Sunday.

• Options
    Counteroffer 350.00, He can only say no. Then if you can get 500+ for it you are in pretty good shape.

If you can get 500.00 for it I suppose it is worth it after fees. My only concern is do you have a decent following on ebay?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    My ebay rep is good. I have two negs (both when I was the buyer and they were just retailiation from a*shole sellers that I left negs for).

I think I have almost 300 FB with 99.2%.

And I just got an offer from a board member for $500 off eBay if the card looks the way I've descriibed, so we'll see.

• Options
    OK, the title of this thread has been driving me nuts.

So I found your card for you: image

<< image >>
  • Options
    HAHAHA. That's awesome.

Pop 1 Rackie RC!!!

• Options
    Why don't you try this? Get a very good photo or scan of the card. Put it up for sale at the price that you want and then when it sells, buy the card from him. That's like a very basic co-signment. If it doesn't sell, then don't purchase the card. Tell him what your intentions and see if it goes.
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭
    Does the guy have any Jackie Jobinson rookie cards for sale? I'm in the market for one...
  • Options

<< <i>Why don't you try this? Get a very good photo or scan of the card. Put it up for sale at the price that you want and then when it sells, buy the card from him. That's like a very basic co-signment. If it doesn't sell, then don't purchase the card. Tell him what your intentions and see if it goes. >>

I'm just going to buy it. Even if I cant profit on it, I'm certain I can break even on it.

I pick it up tomorrow afternoon and I'll post some pics then.

Thanks all.
  • Options

<< <i>OK, the title of this thread has been driving me nuts.

So I found your card for you: image

image >>

That must be the Chinese version . . .
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Maybe Gio has a Menko version
  • Options
    That is a beautiful Rackie Robinson PSA 8 though !

All joking aside .
  • Options
    Just spoke to Joe on the phone.

I'm definitely getting "Rackie" tomorrow.

I'm pretty excited about it.
  • Options
    Oh, and I also found "Rackie's" cousin "Wackie" on ebay...

• Options
    Well, the centering isnt as nice as I remembered from when Joe first showed me the card. Overall I like it's eye appeal though and the coloring is still pretty bright.

I still gave him the $400.00 for it. I think it's a deal.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Think I might still be able to break $500.00 with it?

Thanks for looking!

p.s. The scratch next to his right ear is on the slab, not the card.
  • Options
    That is better than I thought it would look, IMO top to bottom centering is not as bad as left to right so I like that card! Hopefully you will make a profit.
  • Options
    DrJDrJ Posts: 2,213
    That card looks like it needs a hair cut.

Good luck in turning it over.
  • Options
    Thanks Paul! The L/R is almost perfectly even. The T/B is like 95/5 (if I had to guess).

I think the eye-appeal is still pretty good though.

Thanks for your input man.

• Options

<< <i>That card looks like it needs a hair cut. God luck in turning it over. >>

Thanks Justin
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    From your original post:

<< <i>it's OC. It DOES NOT have the qualifier though. Honestly, the grader was BLIND because this think is ridiculously OC (which, obviously detracts from it's eye-appeal). It's got great corners and almost NO other wear >>

After seeing the card, it's graded accurately and think you calling the grader "BLIND" was inappropriate.

/ $0.02
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts