Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Oval Indian Peace Medals

The 19th century Garfield oval Indian Peace medal in copper-bronze medal sold in the Heritage sale for $5700.00 including the juice.

There are probably 15-20 Garfield medals out there, the Ford sale had a handful.

The rarest design US Presidential Indian Peace medal of any design is the 19th century oval Harrison medal, period. I wonder what it would realize at auction?

It is noteworthy that the oval Harrison was one of the very few Indian Peace medals missing from the huge collection John J. Ford had amassed over all of those decades.

I know of only the following examples:

1) New York Historical Society
2) Dreyfuss/Schenkel example (with lots of verdigris obverse and reverse)
3) Springfield Sale
4) Kessler-Spangenberger (which may be the same as # 3 above)

And this one, which I think is the 2nd finest extant (Wish I could safely remove that one spot...I tried acetone for several hours with little effect):

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    Wow, Thats a very cool medal. Thanks for sharing that very informative post. I for one love Peace Medals. imageimage
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Wow very cool!

And since it seems like you're the man to ask, do you know what peace medals are housed under the arch in St. Louis? They have a huge collection that we saw before the last CSNS show in St. Louis, it was impressive but i've never heard if they are real or reproductions and i've never heard anyone mention it on this forum.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    I never heard of that. Thats awesome. Id love to see it.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow very cool!

And since it seems like you're the man to ask, do you know what peace medals are housed under the arch in St. Louis? They have a huge collection that we saw before the last CSNS show in St. Louis, it was impressive but i've never heard if they are real or reproductions and i've never heard anyone mention it on this forum. >>

No I haven't seen that collection, and I wish they would put it online.

I have seen the Smithsonian display, and most are extraordinary. There are one or two fakes mixed into that display though, apparently unbeknownst to the folks there. Given that, I wouldn't be surprised if the St. Louis collection has a few fakes as well.
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>

<< <i>Wow very cool!

And since it seems like you're the man to ask, do you know what peace medals are housed under the arch in St. Louis? They have a huge collection that we saw before the last CSNS show in St. Louis, it was impressive but i've never heard if they are real or reproductions and i've never heard anyone mention it on this forum. >>

No I haven't seen that collection, and I wish they would put it online.

I have seen the Smithsonian display, and most are extraordinary. There are one or two fakes mixed into that display though, apparently unbeknownst to the folks there. Given that, I wouldn't be surprised if the St. Louis collection has a few fakes as well. >>

IIRC they had one medal from each president (that had peace medals issued of them...), many of which were holed. Next to each medal they had a little history of the medal and president. It was pretty neat and the only time i've really been able to see many peace medals placed together.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    The coolest thing about the peace medals was the people that wore them! I have an old book on the medals with lots of very cool photos.

Did you know that peace medals were issued for every president from washington through lincoln - except one. Do you know who that was?
    Don Willis
    Premium Numismatics, Inc.
    myurl
    800-596-COIN
  • Options

<< <i>The coolest thing about the peace medals was the people that wore them! I have an old book on the medals with lots of very cool photos.

Did you know that peace medals were issued for every president from washington through lincoln - except one. Do you know who that was? >>

Not issued for 2 presidents - John Adams and William Henry Harrison.

The John Aams medal was not issued until 1826 as a collectors piece - but was never issued for use with the Indians.
  • Options

<< <i>

IIRC they had one medal from each president (that had peace medals issued of them...), many of which were holed. Next to each medal they had a little history of the medal and president. It was pretty neat and the only time i've really been able to see many peace medals placed together. >>

I just checked the National Park Service site for the Museum of Western Expansion to see it they have now added pics of their medals. Be careful, lots of spyware at that site! I ended up with a google toolbar I needed to uninstall. And nothing comes up with any of the links.
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Julian IP-47

Kreisberg 10/31/1966
    Bowers and Merena 4/1986 (Dreyfuss), lot 5197 "Choice Extremely Fine, or better. There are one or two spots of verdigris noticeable on this piece."
    Presidential 6/1990, lot 475 "Choice uncirculated"
    Presidential 6/1991, lot 319 "Uncirculated. Several light discoloration spots on the obverse rim around 3:00-4:00, and a single dark spot above the C of PEACE on the reverse."
    Presidential 12/1991, lot 293 "XF/AU. There is a dark spot on the chest of the farmer and a number of other scattered small spots."
    Presidential 12/1992, lot 302 "Nice uncirculated." (ex. Kessler-Spangenberger, lot 1638)
    Presidential 11/1999, lot 311 "XF/AU original striking. The original patina has been removed from the medal and it now has an attractive copper-red coloration."
    Stack's 5/2007, lot 2312
    ANS, unknown accession
    ANS, 1913

...plus one silver one I've found a record for:
    World Exonumia sale 11, now owned by ANS

• Options
    Johnathanb,

The silver medal from World Exonumia was and is questionable as to authenticity. In my opinion, almost all of the World Exonumia silver medals from that sale were questionable. If the authenticator at the ANAAB at the time is who I think it was, he knew nothing, and knows nothing about Indian Peace Medals.

The ANS medals could be 20th century medals.

I will look over your PCAC listings. There is at least one duplicate in your listings...I'll send you a PM once I sort out the rest.

Also Stacks did not have a lot 2312 in 5/2007? I'll PM you on that one too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file