Home U.S. Coin Forum

Ok Slam me members. How can the U.S. Mint Raise prices on Metals already sold?

Example the 2007 10th anniversary set platinum 2x $50 coins. Sale on Dec 12/07 $1,940.00 now a huge hike.

Now the metals crash do we get a discount by law?

I think the metal prices will be a good indicator that prices will be high for a longtime people because why would our Mint take a chance on changing pricing if they don't know something we don't know.

Is there a law against price gouging? The U.S. mint seems they can do it. The 2007 platinum 10th set was already minted and was selling I don't think it is right for the Government to do this, they are not Coin Dealers/ so why is this allowed?

Comments

• BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    Good point, if they have already acqired supply and priced accordingly they should only reprice when they get new supply.

edited: only for prices already set. If they bought the gold at $300 I don't expect that but if they put a product for sale at a current price and bullion goes over that during it's brief so be it unless they have to mint more.
  • as of 2004, the US had 252 mil. oz of gold. You still want it for $450 an OZ?

edit: 262 mil OZ.
    imageDo not taunt Happy Fun Ball image
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure they can do it...replacement cost of the metals.
    You want them to sell it for under market value? If so, you know you wouldn't get any, right? The big dealers would. Then you would be complaining about that.

In all seriousness, do you really expect/want them to sell bullion related products for under current "melt" value? I don't want ANY of my government agencies to do that.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stupid question.......................They are the US Mint......they do what they wantimage
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    With the huge increases in Gold and Plats,

there would appear to be a great risk buying

Mint product at these high prices. It is only a

function of time when we could see a dramatic

drop in value.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭

<< <i>With the huge increases in Gold and Plats,

there would appear to be a great risk buying

Mint product at these high prices. It is only a

function of time when we could see a dramatic

drop in value. >>

I will be buying my plat set back when it gets back down to $1600. image
  • Interesting. My question(s)- Is it not the cost to replace the pm and protect the public investment? Would it be failure of fiduciary responsibility to the taxpayers? Oil is not sold "upstream" at the price paid midstream if the midstream price increases after purchase.. The "upstream" cost must be able to be sold at a return that allows purchase at the new price, is this not true? Respectfully, John Curlis
  • MarkMark Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many people are willing to sell their houses at what they paid for them 20 years ago? It's the same with the mint--they should sell gold or other precious metals at the current price not at the price they paid for it.
    Mark

• Mark, my son HOPES I will....image BTW, help that young man get into the fine University you teach at. With Respect, John Curlis(Thread went Poof).
  • Your question is invalid, as they are not 'already sold". If they were you would be enjoying the price increase (or whomever the buyer was). Since you didn't we the people are enjoying the price increase.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • "How can the U.S. Mint Raise prices on Metals already sold?" its simple, when you are the bigest bullion buyer & seller, well ya got it like that....you can pretty much do what ya want.

Sorry no slam..........
  • The question may not be invalid if we take Bears' astute comment in to account.. would the People suffer monetary harm if the Govt. made anticipatory replacement purchases and the pm prices dropped? Respectfully, John Curlis
  • The same could be said for the use of gasoline as well. When the price of crude oil goes up, the street price we pay for gasoline will follow, yet the price to manufacture that gasoline we are pumping into our tank was purchased @ more then likely a lower rate for the crude oil

• << <i>The question may not be invalid if we take Bears' astute comment in to account.. would the People suffer monetary harm if the Govt. made anticipatory replacement purchases and the pm prices dropped? Respectfully, John Curlis >>

Speechless, I think I need a few more image to get into this conversation image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your credit card has not been charged ... the mint has not sold it to you. All you did was place an order & the mint has the option to cancell the order.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Hey wait a minute it's the real world!
    Get that guy that made those threats on the BST forum to sue em!!!
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    The F=ing Mint is not regulated because if they were they wouldn't be able to sell a set price placed on a previous minted coin and resell it because of the market boom.

Really think about what I am saying people I don't have no problem that the mint removed and halted sales, hell raise the price on the new struck 2008 platinums, but not raise the price on a coin that was already for sale, the is F-ing PRICE GOUGING!!

If you guys don't see it you are blind.

If they are allowed to do this what type of profits are the people of this country suppose to make. Some guy is edging coin collectors profits out of your wallet right before your eyes if you can't see it. What edge will we ever have If we invest in something?

Lastly think about this, If my house isn't worth what it was for last year can I say to the bank, hey I paid to0 much I need you to lower my payments at the going rate. Now I know one of you clowns will say, how bout the money your making when house prices go up. You home is your future and LONG TERM investment for most Americans, not a up and down stock market place to play/gamble with
    your money like most people do. I am tired hope you see this in another way.
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    The bullion coins will always be tied to the spot price (it is the nature of the beast and it is always bought and sold around the current spot price). Because of the intrinsic metal value the pricing has to fluctuate as well (not as quickly when it goes down compared to when it goes up).
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The bullion coins will always be tied to the spot price (it is the nature of the beast and it is always bought and sold around the current spot price). Because of the intrinsic metal value the pricing has to fluctuate as well (not as quickly when it goes down compared to when it goes up). >>

In addition to the above comment ... Most collectors don't refer to bullion as collectible coins in the first place, but just another commodity. Try to order bullion products through NN or CW at the advertised rate & see what happens. That's why it is always: "subject to change based on spot price."
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • percybpercyb Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Example the 2007 10th anniversary set platinum 2x $50 coins. Sale on Dec 12/07 $1,940.00 now a huge hike.

Now the metals crash do we get a discount by law?

I think the metal prices will be a good indicator that prices will be high for a longtime people because why would our Mint take a chance on changing pricing if they don't know something we don't know.

Is there a law against price gouging? The U.S. mint seems they can do it. The 2007 platinum 10th set was already minted and was selling I don't think it is right for the Government to do this, they are not Coin Dealers/ so why is this allowed? >>

There's the USMINT, and then there's God, and then there's us.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • You need to look up the definition of price gouging and you will see that it does not apply in this case.

The price you negotiate to buy a house is final once the contract is signed. If real estate prices go up you can sell the house to someone else at a higher price.

How do you feel about the rising value of these coins on the open market? Do you think it is unfair for people who bought the coins from the Mint to resell them at higher prices as the value of bullion increases?
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do service station folks raise the price of gasoline in their tanks when the oil that just went up $6 a barrel is still in the ground in the Middle East and won't be in the service station's tanks for another 6 weeks. Like the platinum they are selling it for what its worth now.
    theknowitalltroll;

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file