Home Metal Detecting
Options

COIN PURSE (Guess the contents = CONTEST IS CLOSED)

Since it's been noticeably slow on the forum, and some of our friends in the colder states are snowed-in, I thought I'd try to help out... I made an interesting find yesterday, and I thought it might be fun to see if you could guess the details of what was found.
(Contest is closed. See results in Other Post..

Many of you know that due to small children in my house, I usually don't get days off for detecting, but I will get out during the work week during my lunch breaks. Last week was so hectic that I was not able to get out during a single lunch break. So, this week, I wanted to make sure I got out there and make up for the lost time!

One of my favorite spots is an old picnic ground area where my parents would take me when I was younger. It was close to our home, I'd go for walks there with my Mom, and she would tell me about the times her father would take her there when she was a young girl. I never met my grandfather (died before I was born), so going to this place is sort of a sentimental experience for me as I walk, detect, and remember the stories.

Sometimes I can go through this area and do not find a single coin, most of the time I will find at least one wheatback cent, but once in awhile I'll find something good! Last month I went there several times and it was really starting to feel "skunky" because I just wasn't finding the oldies, but, things turned around with a bang on Feb. 1st when I found a nice 1946-S Walking Liberty Half. This week started to look like things would continue to be good...

On Monday, I was able to get back to the area where the half dollar came from, and I was rewarded with a couple wheatback cents and a silver Roosevelt dime.

Tuesday I only found one old coin, but I was definitely happy with it. The coin I found was an extremely sharp 1907 Indian Head cent. It has a "full liberty" and the feathers are sharp, but the bad news is that it has two, deep, old scratches on the obverse.

So, after already having some success this week, I decided to get back out there on Wednesday (yesterday) and see what I could find...

I have a pretty decent knowledge of the area, and before I go out there, I usually have a spot in mind and will focus on it. Yesterday I had decided to hit the edge of one of the picnic areas, where for some reason, those usually hold an oldie that was missed by the previous metal detecting armies.

As I was working through this one area, I noticed it was extremely clean, and signals were scarce. (previous armies did a great job there!) I worked around to the edge of the picnic area and came up to the edge of a dry creek bed. Along the creek bed, I could see a very narrow path that ran along it, and I thought it may be one of those "forgotten trails" but as I walked along, I noticed it was almost as clean as the picnic area. The trail ended at the foot of a steep hill, I could see another trail a short distance above, and decided I would work my way out and up to another picnic area.

As I zig-zagged up the hill, my coil went over a screaming, loud signal. It was so loud that I thought it would be a can. I stuck my boot into the hill, moved the soft (still moist from the rains) dirt, and noticed the signal was gone. I chased the signal to the area where I had kicked, and didn't notice it at first, but there on the ground was a small, plastic pouch. Once I saw it, I was thinking it was only a piece of trash, but, the loud signal was coming from it.

I kneeled down, picked it up, and could tell that the plastic was sort of fragile (due to being in the elements for a long time), but I turned it around and found an opening. Looking inside of it, I quickly discovered I was holding some sort of old purse. The contents inside were packed with dirt, mud, and a... SCORPIAN! image The little guardian (about 1 1/2") looked like he was snoozing, but I was still a little cautious (even though I wear gloves while I detect). This was the first scorpian I've ever found out here in CA, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

The only other things I saw along with the scorpian were: another small, white plastic pouch, and two gold colored, copper lipstick tubes. I picked out the lipstick tubes, thinking that must have been what gave the signal I heard, stood up, waved the coil again, but the screaming signal was still there. It was at that moment that I thought- sure would be nice if there were some coins in there!

I kneeled down again, this time picked out the little white pouch, waved it over the coil, and knew I had my target. I peeled the edge open, and the first thing I saw was a silver coin laying on a stack of other coins!
I picked up all the contents (less the scorpian!), placed the items into my pouch and figured I would open the contents at home, and take pictures at that time. The rest of my hunt was uneventful, but that one find made it a successful one!

This morning I went outside and took a sequence of pictures as I opened it up. Here's where I thought it would be fun to have a contest... just for fun, take a guess at the following:

1- How many coins were in the purse?
2- How many were silver?
3- Tie breaker= guess the types of coins and the years.

Thanks for participating. Hope you enjoy this as much as I did. As the guesses come in, I'll add more pictures to reveal the contents...

Happy hunting (and guessing!) image

Comments

• Options
    cool story and nice finds mr. riccar

1. 7 coins total

2. 3 silver

3. 4 wheaties, 53, 39, 27, 47
    2 rosies 56, 47
    1 washington quarter 43

i hope that spot continues to "rock you like a hurricane"! in the silver dept anyways.....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>cool story and nice finds mr. riccar
    i hope that spot continues to "rock you like a hurricane"! in the silver dept anyways.....hh >>

Thanks Dubba!
    This place has been a lot of fun for me... couple coins spills with multiple silvers, a few half dollars, even some old jewelry, but the fun for me is getting outside and can't help but thinking about my grandfather when I get out there.

(by the way, congrats on all your January jewelry finds- all of those finds were better than that little gold ring I found! Hope you get a bunch more out there...)

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>cool story and nice finds mr. riccar
    i hope that spot continues to "rock you like a hurricane"! in the silver dept anyways.....hh >>

Thanks Dubba!
    This place has been a lot of fun for me... couple coins spills with multiple silvers, a few half dollars, even some old jewelry, but the fun for me is getting outside and can't help but thinking about my grandfather when I get out there.

(by the way, congrats on all your January jewelry finds- all of those finds were better than that little gold ring I found! Hope you get a bunch more out there...) >>

it's nice to have a go to spot like you have there...wow! great finds!...i have been on a roll at the beach lately, thanks.....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Great story

4 coins
    3 silver
    1 nickel 1954
    1 dime 1957
    2 quarters 57, 58
  • Options
    I'll guess:

3 Quarters all silver
    2 Dimes both silver
    6 Pennies unless 1959, all wheats

Mary
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    I'm going to say 10 coins.

Five silvers.

Two Mercs (37, 42)

One Roosie (45)

Three wheats (29, 41, 44)

Two Jeffersons (both 41)

Two Washington quarters (35, 42)

G.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    1- How many coins were in the purse?

6 coins

2- How many were silver?

3- Tie breaker= guess the types of coins and the years.

2 Washers; 1 Merc, 1 Rosie, 1 Buff, and 1 Jeff.
  • Options
    That's an awesome find, I'll guess 7 coins, 3 silver: 1944 Wheatie, 1951 Nickel, 1950 Wheatie, 1954 Nickel, 1950 Dime, 1952 Quarter, 1952 Dime. Thanks for the contest!
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Fun post Rick!

1. Now I've stared at your last small picture so intensely (trying to figure out the coins) that it's becoming ever blurrier...
    2. I'm also going nuts trying to repeat "contents contest" in rapid succession imageimage

The silver coin that shows in the pic looks quite small, a dime perhaps.
    There's also something bigger to the left of it...looks like maybe some silver there too...
    ..and I think I see a cent towards the front...

Soo....

5 coins total, of which 2 silver

1xRoosevelt dime, 1957
    1xWashington Quarter, 1960

1xJefferson Nickel, 1958
    2xCents (1 wheat 1953, 1 memorial 1960)

Purse was lost on June 12, 1961
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 quarter,
    1 dime
    2 nickles
    4 cents.
    Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    Five coins
    Three silver

3 Washington quarters (54,57,62)
    2 Jefferson nickels (56,57)
  • Options
    9 coins
    3 silver
    3 dimes- 27' 29' 31'
    6 copper- 30' 31' 4-35'
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    7 coins

2 silver rosey dimes '60 7'61
    5 cents 2 wheaties '56 &'57 the rest '60,&2 '62S.
  • Options
    8 coins

Silver = 5

Type = 3 quarters 2 dimes 3 Cents

Years = quarters 1954, dimes 1963, cents 1952

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies and guesses! This was a fun find, and I'm looking forward to sharing the next pictures with you all.

Some have one correct answer, and I think one person has two... I'll give it a little more time and then create a separate post this weekend with progression pics that show what was inside "the clump." image
  • Options

<< <i>Purse was lost on June 12, 1961 >>

Cripes~! I don't know how but that same year was running through my mind while I was reading this post! OK, 7 coins total, 2 silver... 1961 quarter, 1956 Roosie, 1956 nickel and 4 pennies. 1958 X2 1955 and 1948.

OK, I am now going to check my Ouijee (sp)? board and go hide for the rest of the night...

HH,
    Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Neat find, I will go with 8 coins- a washington quarter (probably from the 1940's), 3 dimes (say two mercs), a nickel and 3 wheats.
  • Options
    I agree neat find...I'll say 9 coins...4 wheaties, 1 silver quarter, 2 jeff nickels, 2 silver dimes
  • Options
    1- How many coins were in the purse? 5
    2- How many were silver? 3
    3- Tie breaker= guess the types of coins and the years. 1946 Wash. , 1955 Was. , 1942 Merc , 1954 Wheat, and a 1956 wheat.

Excellent story Rick!

Sounds like a blast!

GR
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    1- How many coins were in the purse? 4 total
    2- How many were silver? 1 silver
    3- Tie breaker= guess the types of coins and the years. 1964 dime. 4 pennies--1957D, 1944, 1961, 1960
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Okay.
    1 half dollar
    2 quarters
    2 dimes
    2 nickels
    3 pennies

6 silver

1956 half dollar
    1953 and 1955 quarter
    1951 and 1949 dime
    1937 and 1941 nickel
    1919, 1905, 1945 penny

• Options
    Hey Ric, I'm looking forward to the unwrapping! Mary
    Be Still and Know
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Ric, I'm looking forward to the unwrapping! Mary >>

Hi Mary!
    We just got back from being out of town to visit relatives...
    Unloading kids and stuff right now, but I'm planning to "unwrap" the purse find today image

Before I do, here's a sneak peak and note:
    "newest" coin = 1947

I'll show all the pics soon...
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Ok, I'd like to change my guess. Just kidding
  • Options

<< <i>Ok, I'd like to change my guess. Just kidding >>

• Options
    i'd guess, but you already told me what you had
  • Options

<< <i>i'd guess, but you already told me what you had >>

Yes, but I didn't give you the details.
    Plus, there were a couple surprises... image
  • Options

imageimageimageimage
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    so i take it you got THAT coin you hoped would be in there?
  • Options

<< <i>so i take it you got THAT coin you hoped would be in there? >>

No, there wasn't a GOLD coin in there! image

• Options
    Very nice Riccar. Someday, maybe I'll be able to post as nice finds as you do image

You got to love getting multiple coins on a single sweep of the coil.
    Speer34

imageimageimage