Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Show us your california fractional Gold!!!

UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am fascinated by these little pieces of history. They are extreamly undervalued and very rare. Lets see who has some!

Comments

• Options
    These are not real ones, and are an example what not to buy image

imageimage

imageimage
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About like photographing fish scales.

• Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    I was just about to start this same thread, glad I looked to see what was on the front page before I posted. Just picked this up yesterday. What do you guys think? And these little guys are a image to photograph!

Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like these fractionals and want to buy one, one day. There are so many counterfeits around that a person has to be fairly knowledgeable at what they are looking at.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are so many counterfeits around that a person has to be fairly knowledgeable at what they are looking at.

Just always wonder what the percentage is?
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    I am in love with this series - they are beautiful, historic, privately issued gold coins. Best of all, collecting Cal Gold today seems like what collecting U.S. coins was thirty years ago - no 1000% price increases hinged on single TPGS grade points, prices are affordable with many rare and high quality examples trading for 3-figures, a relatively small circle of players yet enough to qualify as a community, very little hype due I suspect to the fact these coins are too rare to make a promotion viable.

So far I own three of these coins - all Period 1 examples minted by Antoine Nouzillet, who I think was the best craftsman of the Cal Gold makers. My most recent addition is this little beauty: BG-308 PCGS OGH MS62 Octagonal Half.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like these fractionals and want to buy one, one day. There are so many counterfeits around that a person has to be fairly knowledgeable at what they are looking at. >>

If you're not sure what you are doing, buy one already slabbed by PCGS or NGC.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    NGC usually overgrades these. If you are a begginer, stick to pcgs. Also - ignore high grade ngc coiuns in 66 or 67! They go for moon money!
  • Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a period 1 dollar - BG501.
    Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options

BG302

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options

BG505 - another period 1 dollar

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I like these fractionals and want to buy one, one day. There are so many counterfeits around that a person has to be fairly knowledgeable at what they are looking at. >>

If you're not sure what you are doing, buy one already slabbed by PCGS or NGC. >>

I agree with ya Perry, that would probably be the smart thing to do. I also plan to be a little more knowledable with these before I ever buy one anyway. If they are this confusing to me, there may be someone out there selling one that's authentic but thinks it's counterfeit. Ya never know!!image
  • Options

BG1023 - R7 - AU58 - referenced in Breen Gillio 2nd edition

• Options
    bsshog40

a great reference site for cal fractionals :

cal gold

• Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Ain't got any...probably should though, they're pretty historical.
  • Options
    Octangular, Indian Head, proof like, rotated, tiny - what's not to like? image

• Options
    nice coins everyone! I like the 302!
  • Options
    Almost proof like finish but a lot of scratches

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    always buy from a trusted dealer!
    CIVITAS image

• Options
    i guess they failed to mention the hole and ring attached ?

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i guess they failed to mention the hole and ring attached ? >>

uh no image I have no prejudice against holes, this was picture as it appears image it was just an inexpensive 'type' to have imageimage
  • Options
    i figured as such ... just bustin " on you image

• Options
    Wish I was a little better with the camera, it has some interesting die cracks.

• Options

here's another bg230 - period 1 quarter

• Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

this is not mine, but it belongs to an old friend who inherited it last year.. it had been in his family for 153 years!.. knowing virtually nothing about Numismatics, he turned to me, and i walked him through the entire process of getting it into PCGS plastic.. it's.. uhh.. rather rare image .. check the pop reports.. value somewhere between $12k and $15k.. not sure if the 1854 BG-534 is the rarest of all Calif. Fractional Gold.. but it's way freakin' high up on the list of the rarest..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options

<< <i>this is not mine, but it belongs to an old friend who inherited it last year.. it had been in his family for 153 years!.. knowing virtually nothing about Numismatics, he turned to me, and i walked him through the entire process of getting it into PCGS plastic.. it's.. uhh.. rather rare image .. check the pop reports.. value somewhere between $12k and $15k.. not sure if the 1854 BG-534 is the rarest of all Calif. Fractional Gold.. but it's way freakin' high up on the list of the rarest.. >>

R6! Nice!
  • Options
    Generally,and i use the term loosely !

According to Breen,and i talked to him personally at Long Beach around 1988,had smoe gold with me at the time.

If it has a Bear or an Indian on it,its likely a fake !
  • Options

<< <i>Generally,and i use the term loosely !

According to Breen,and i talked to him personally at Long Beach around 1988,had smoe gold with me at the time.

If it has a Bear or an Indian on it,its likely a fake ! >>

I have seen alot of these on ebal. They also too nice to be real fron my view.

I also I would like to add that I have been saving these pics on this thread for my own informative purposes. If anyone objects, then please let me know and I will gladly delete them. Thanks!
  • Options
    I have several of the so called fakes and only a few real ones. Are the fakes usually at least real gold?
  • Options
    Here are three authentic ones, all dated 1871...

Rick

• Options

• Options

<< <i>Octangular, Indian Head, proof like, rotated, tiny - what's not to like? image

image >>

Hi Carl, Is that for sale?

Nice coinimage

I want it...sent pm and please please.
    Brian
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Posts: 3,294
    Not much info regarding these little flecks o' gold on these boards. I picked up this pair of Washington Heads this weekend ... one octagonal BG-722, one round BG-818 image

• Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    Crappy crop job, my apologies! But hey its in the spirit of the OP! I promise to reimage this one day.image

imageimage
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DieClash---That's not a real California fractional gold coin all of which have a denomination.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    DieClash ... someone is selling a bag of 250 freshly minted tokens like that right now on Ebay for $250. I searched through my Breen-Gillo and couldn't find it in the type 3 section ...
  • Options
    That is a nice one VAMGUY ... I am noticing prominent circular swirls on some of mine that are similar to the lines on your obverse. Do you think that they could be die polish lines???
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>That is a nice one VAMGUY ... I am noticing prominent circular swirls on some of mine that are similar to the lines on your obverse. Do you think that they could be die polish lines??? >>

Mine shows these 'swirls' pretty clearly on the reverse. I was wondering what these were...
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    rjsvtrjsvt Posts: 163
    How about gold plated silver?

Goofy Head BG-1047
    PCGS MS61

bob
    Bob
  • Options
    rjsvtrjsvt Posts: 163
    Okay, I own one more, and I'm hoping to get my post count to 100 by the end of the year image

BG-1035
    PCGS MS62

bob
    Bob
  • Options

<< <i>Okay, I own one more, and I'm hoping to get my post count to 100 by the end of the year image >>

Quit running up the bids on me image

Here is my peacaulk (dumb filter wouldn't let me spell this correctly) ...

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>BG-728 MS65PL

image >>

I had a raw example of this variety in hand yesterday, quite coincidentally. The owner had inherited it from his father, along with a fabulous collection of 19th century silver and copper type. I believe the BG-728 is an R-7. Notice the double strike of the profile at the chin.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    Actually, the BG-728 is a R-3 and is quite plentiful, but not in such a high grade. I like the frosty devices and mirrored fields on his example ...
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

<< <i>DieClash---That's not a real California fractional gold coin all of which have a denomination. >>

PerryHall, You are correct, sort of. What I mean is, it is real gold and its related. Further, if you're interested the history of the piece and Mike Locke's assessment as discussed on these boards click here (about half way down the page): California Gold Educational Postt

<< <i>DieClash ... someone is selling a bag of 250 freshly minted tokens like that right now on Ebay for $250. I searched through my Breen-Gillo and couldn't find it in the type 3 section ... >>

Fletch, this piece is not freshly minted [see thread link above], but rather circa 1906-20. I do appreciate your info all the same.

Cheers! image
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a great article on these fractionals some years ago in a Print coin magazine....what delighted me that the son of Rollie Totheroh, who was Charlie Chaplins main movie photographer....was a HUGE fan of these.

image My Gosh would'nt you love to have gotten ahold of some of the GOLD this man had!
    He made a Million dollars a year, in 1916
  • Options
    DieClash - great info in those links ... thanks :-)
  • Options
    VamGuyVamGuy Posts: 1,624
    << That is a nice one VAMGUY ... I am noticing prominent circular swirls on some of mine that are similar to the lines on your obverse. Do you think that they could be die polish lines??? >> I wish I still owned the coin. I'd put it under the microscope and render an opinion. But I don't, so I can't. image
  • Options

<< <i>I wish I still owned the coin. I'd put it under the microscope and render an opinion. But I don't, so I can't. >>

Don't you hate it when that happens???

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file