Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Show us your california fractional Gold!!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimageimageimage

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Room for one more? BG-531, R-4, Population: 17 in MS62, 5 finer.

imageimageimage
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Actually, the BG-728 is a R-3 and is quite plentiful, but not in such a high grade. I like the frosty devices and mirrored fields on his example ... >>

Good call. It motivated me to go back to my notes on the appraisal. It is a BG-772, 1873 octagonal 1/4 dollar.R-6. Nearly as nice as the PCGS-61 which B & M sold from the Jay Roe Collection.
    The BG-772 was accompanied by an 1876 Round Indian Head 25c. BG-852, R5+. I expect to see them again.image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS BG-953 MS64 IIRC

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BG-812 25c round PCGS MS-67 (R-5)
    Only one of two 25c round graded MS-67 by PCGS for the entire 25c round denomination of all BG's.
    This is pop 1 in MS-67 in PCGS. NGC has not graded any MS-67 of BG-812.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    That is gorgeous Oreville ... why don't any of those uber high end flecks o' gold come up for auction? I am going to have to go camp out on Kagin's doorstep image

• Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭
    It has a hole, but, it's from California.

• Options
    SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
    You were probably not expecting this, but, here is some unusual California Fractional Goldimage

• Options
    Round Washington Head image

• Options

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins all. Some hate them because of their small size but I think that's what gives them their charm (no pun intended).

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    Oh ya california gold.......

Sorry, its old but worth looking at I hope.

• Options
    Weiss fractional:
    "

<< <i>image

image >>

"

Nice one Weiss - i believe it's a BG-765 (droped C in CAL) - I just gott one holed - made this from the sellers pics, must find some time to do mine own:

Love all the others too image

P.S.
    But have to say this - when I got this lovely fractional - I wondered how come people use them in jewelery - you almost need a magnifying glass to see what's on them. But when you do that - it's even more beautifull than looking to a diamond image.

Edited to add a new pic:

Rok
  • Options
    This little coin has a long history in my mother's family. We "found" it again when going through my grandfather's collection of odds and ends. It has been wrapped in a little piece of wax paper for probably 50+ years. I did finally find out it was a BG-201 and pretty rare. The pictures are awful, but they were taken with a little digital so I could have something to reference while researching the coin. (coin is NJ and I am in NY) My mother would like to get it graded and holdered but is not comfortable just sending it away in the mail. Thought I would get some opinions of the best place to send it and how to do it with the least trauma. image Would love to hear opinions.

• Options

<< <i>This little coin has a long history in my mother's family. We "found" it again when going through my grandfather's collection of odds and ends. It has been wrapped in a little piece of wax paper for probably 50+ years. I did finally find out it was a BG-201 and pretty rare. The pictures are awful, but they were taken with a little digital so I could have something to reference while researching the coin. (coin is NJ and I am in NY) My mother would like to get it graded and holdered but is not comfortable just sending it away in the mail. Thought I would get some opinions of the best place to send it and how to do it with the least trauma. image Would love to hear opinions.

image >>

send it to pcgs and get it graded, then when it comes back send it to an auction house like heritage - ha.com, they will sell it for you. The coin is worth at least a few thousand dollars graded.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The coin is worth at least a few thousand dollars graded. >>

I think you are being optimistic. Do you have any auction records for this BG type?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The coin is worth at least a few thousand dollars graded. >>

I think you are being optimistic. Do you have any auction records for this BG type? >>

the bg 201 is a rarity 7

look at these sources for more infor

kagins

in 64 its worth around 7 grand, the kagins listing is overpriced.

pcgs coinfacts

as you can see in pcgs coinfacts - the last one sold for 5750 last year in a 63 holder. There are currently around 7-9 known - yours is probably the tenth. I would submit it to pcgs to verify the grade and bg #
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

Here is my one and only....Broken nose special....
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My only Round Dollar

imageimage
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Just found this thread and I wanted to share my first California Fractional Gold. It should be arriving tomorrow.

imageimage
    imageimage
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got an octagonal on my hat, too, but can't seem to find a picture of it at present.

Nor do I see it in the closeup, but that's an old picture.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file