Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The ANA and Young Numismatics. A rant

After receiving my most recent issue of Coin World (which was late by the way) I came upon an article titled "Encouraging YNs to collect ancients." Myself being a YN, I decided that for once there would be an interesting article in the mass of advertisements for me to read. After turning to the page and reading through the article, which talked about how at coin shows many of the patrons have gray hair and then the author talks about the American Numismatic Association and a program called " Coins in the Classroom" and how Young Numismatics can earn ancient coins by a combination of scholarship, numismatic community service, and publishing and article. The article goes on a bit more and talks about spreading knowledge on ancient coins.

After reading this article I suddenly remembered that in fact, I am a Junior Member of the ANA! I had originally joined the ANA to take advantage of the YN programs, but upon receiving membership I realized that I could not take advantage of most, if any of these programs. Now, the main reason that most of the programs were not doable for me is location. The ANA is located Colorado Springs, CO, approximately 2000 miles away. Out of the FOUR programs listed on the ANA website, two are done out of state, whether at the Worlds Fair of Money or the National Money Show. The other two being EXTREMELY in-depth projects such as, exhibiting, lecturing, Boy Scouts and other's most likely inaccessible to many YN's across the nation. The ANA also has scholarship programs to the Summer Seminar (also in the distant state of CO) but in order to be part of it you must have the proper credentials. Once again, giving lectures, developing exhibits and the others listed on the ANA website, are not easily done for many. The best thing that came out of my membership with the ANA is the Numismatist, the ANA's magazine publication.

Young Numismatics, like myself are the future to the hobby and should be taught and mentored with a helping hand. The ANA boasts their YN programs and such, but leaves an extreme amount of responsibility in the YN's hand, which could be a good thing. But when your talking cross country travel and competing for the very limited scholarships offered it just seems so impersonal and unpractical for kids from 13-18 to do!

One place that YN are appreciated and nurtured is in online forums like this one. The people here are a different kind, doing amazing things for YN's. Whether its the knowledgeable answers or the sheer amount of giveaways only for YN's.

The ANA is supposed to be THE organization for Numismatics, but since I became a member I've been wondering where my money went.

Thanks for reading through my rant and I hope other YN's have the same kinds of feelings if you are in the same boat as me.

Comments

• Options
    I tend to agree, as I am a YN myself. The is one upside to the ANA being a YN though. You get the magazine subscription and direct submissions to NGC for $20/year.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good post and excellent points.

A Letter to the Editor of The Numismatist is clearly indicated here.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    I've kind of thought the same thing. I'm pretty active and have my dad to help but it's still hard for me to figure out how to do things, how to join things, and how to get credit for things. I kind of think that a lot of the YN's really active live in big cities where the ANA have shows and they can go or they have connections some how.

What Mr. Spock would say about numismatics...
    image... "Fascinating, but not logical"

"Live long and prosper"

My "How I Started" columns
  • Options
    Its good to see Im not the only one, but I would really like to see how the veterans feel.
    thanks
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Well said. I've been saying that to become more relevant to the typical hobbyist, the ANA needs to figure out ways to roll more of its services out beyond Colorado Springs and the annual convention locations. Finding ways to add value to the web site, such as adding educational content to its web site for members, would be a good start if the money could be found for it.
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    The YN program sounds aimed at the kids of wealthy parents, not middle class YNs. Just my opinion.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    I don't get the YN thing. Why spend energy trying to get kids interested in a hobby that requires discretionary income that most kids don't have? Are kids really the future of the hobby? What does that mean, anyway? If it means that without recruiting young collectors, there will be fewer collectors in the future, isn't that something collectors might want? Think about all the rarities you could buy if there were fewer collectors competing for the same coins. Or do collectors simply want to generate demand? It's seems like a double-edged sword. We want increased demand so the coins we currently own appreciate in value, but we don't want that demand when we buy in the future.

Even if we're not concerned with the money side of it, and only want more collectors for friendship and camaraderie, isn't it Walter Breenish for adults to want to "mentor" kid collectors? Half the pedophiles who get busted on Dateline NBC say they just wanted to mentor the child. There are some other eerie parallels like gifts of coins to a child, or meetings away from the child's parents at shows and seminars. I would, to put it gently, be suspicious of any adult - coin collector or not - who wanted to give my kids expensive presents or be friends with them. Knowing what we know nowadays, it's strange that any organization would want to help facilitate meetings between adults and children.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Even if we're not concerned with the money side of it, and only want more collectors for friendship and camaraderie, isn't it Walter Breenish for adults to want to "mentor" kid collectors? Half the pedophiles who get busted on Dateline NBC say they just wanted to mentor the child. There are some other eerie parallels like gifts of coins to a child, or meetings away from the child's parents at shows and seminars. I would, to put it gently, be suspicious of any adult - coin collector or not - who wanted to give my kids expensive presents or be friends with them. Knowing what we know nowadays, it's strange that any organization would want to help facilitate meetings between adults and children. >>

The attitude above is exactly why I go out of my way to avoid contact with children. No matter what the situation, someone will always suspect pedophilia in there.

Our schools here in town badly need math tutors and mentors, which I'd love to do and am good at...except that I'm afraid of being left alone with a kid or two any more lest I arouse suspicion with a parent or anger one of the kids who makes up a story to hurt me. So I don't do it. Their loss.
  • Options
    AMEN!! Your points are right on mark!
    Dave
    Positive BST transactions with: Patches, Greencopper, 09sVDB, Ajia, Whatsup, RpmHunter, tander123,ModCrewman,Lablade

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very valid points man. I know what you mean.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There may be no simple solutions since there just aren't enough YN's in one
    place except in schools or on the net. Most services provided would have to
    be in one of these venues.

The ANA could probably encourage some of the bigger schools to start coin
    clubs and many people would be willing to help them in various ways.

Ancients are a good place for kids to get involved. Some day these will get a
    lot more attention again. They've been extremely popular among US collectors
    in the past and the middle class is exploding everywhere. This is especially
    true in most of the "countries" that issued ancients.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fears voiced here are very real... and are affecting social programs across the country. Many cases of 'retributive anger' have been documented... and ruined lives. Be careful... and this is much to the detriment of YN's... but cannot be helped. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>There may be no simple solutions since there just aren't enough YN's in one
    place except in schools or on the net. Most services provided would have to
    be in one of these venues.

The ANA could probably encourage some of the bigger schools to start coin
    clubs and many people would be willing to help them in various ways.

Ancients are a good place for kids to get involved. Some day these will get a
    lot more attention again. They've been extremely popular among US collectors
    in the past and the middle class is exploding everywhere. This is especially
    true in most of the "countries" that issued ancients. >>

Dr. Terrance Wilson
  • Options
    So much for trying to get use to using this computer stuff for us old farts. As for the summer seminiar I am sorry you have such an sour taste towards such a great program. I handle the YN scholarship for our speciality club, and I have yet to have a YN apply for the scholarship, so we donate the money to the ANA for a at large YN scholarship. All a YN who is a member of our club has to do is let our club know they would like to attend the Seminiar and they would qualify for the scholarship. The scholarship would be administered by the ANA, but we would inform them who is the receipient. The scholarship covers everything, airfare, room, meals, classes. So I have a hard time understanding your argument on that program. Our members donate all the money for the scholarship and a lot of effort goes into providing that scholarship, especially for a small club such as ours. The rest of your statement has some merit.
    Dr. Terrance Wilson
  • Options
    I dont have any problem with the scholarshi. Its the fact that there arent clubs everywhere like yours
  • Options
    Enjoy the numismatic world and take some time to inquire with some national speciality and regional clubs and see if they have a scholarship to Summer Seminiar. A lot of these organizations that have scholarships only have a few YN applying or are begging, so the odds are in your favor. If you really want to learn and grow your numismatic knowledge, Summer Seminar is a wonderful venue to learn and explore your numismatic interests. Good luck and go get a scholarship.
    Dr. Terrance Wilson
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me preface my response by stating that I have not read what the requirements are that you reference in your first post. However, if you allow me to take a Devil's Advocate approach I will defend certain aspects. The extrememly in-depth projects you list include exhibiting, lecturing and Boy Scout activity, which appear to me to be designed to identify those who have a certain amount of dedication to the hobby or to learning about the hobby. The responsibility for taking the initial steps toward an all-or-partial-expenses paid, limited capacity educational and social gathering should be done by the hopeful recipient. I would imagine that with limited funds to pay for these slots and to develop meaningful programs that the ANA wants YNs who show a rather strong or relatively long-term interest in the hobby so that these scarce funds do not go to folks who are not really interested. Remember, these seminars typically cannot be attended by everyone, so the ANA might want to target those who might benefit the most.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

<< <i>I don't get the YN thing. Why spend energy trying to get kids interested in a hobby that requires discretionary income that most kids don't have? Are kids really the future of the hobby? What does that mean, anyway? If it means that without recruiting young collectors, there will be fewer collectors in the future, isn't that something collectors might want? Think about all the rarities you could buy if there were fewer collectors competing for the same coins. Or do collectors simply want to generate demand? It's seems like a double-edged sword. We want increased demand so the coins we currently own appreciate in value, but we don't want that demand when we buy in the future.

Even if we're not concerned with the money side of it, and only want more collectors for friendship and camaraderie, isn't it Walter Breenish for adults to want to "mentor" kid collectors? Half the pedophiles who get busted on Dateline NBC say they just wanted to mentor the child. There are some other eerie parallels like gifts of coins to a child, or meetings away from the child's parents at shows and seminars. I would, to put it gently, be suspicious of any adult - coin collector or not - who wanted to give my kids expensive presents or be friends with them. Knowing what we know nowadays, it's strange that any organization would want to help facilitate meetings between adults and children. >>

Well, I won't touch the second paragraph with a ten foot pole...pun intended...

As for the first paragraph...based on your logic...lets not encourage YN's so that the prices won't go up on the coins we seek due to the added collector base...

...and little by little...the prices will eventually go down...as more and more of us old time collectors die off...and those that are left can get great rips on the collections that are left behind and build wonderful collections on a budget...

...and eventually there will just be a few of us left and we will have these great big collections we can be buried with cause no one will be left who gives a rats' patootie...

You see...besides enjoying being able to view the hobby thru the fresh eyes of the young, we are actually ensuring that when we or our heirs go to sell our collections, there will be someone around who wants it...

I suppose I could go on with this little rant...but why bother...either you understand or you don't...

As for the OP...join the 'club'...there are many of us "adults" who wonder exactly how relevant the ANA really is...maybe the new Board will put things on proper track...I suggest you write them with your concerns...a letter to the Editor of the Numsmatist perhaps...as mentioned by another poster here on this thread...
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    njcoincranknjcoincrank Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    I find this thread intriguing yet disturbing at the same time. I joined the ANA in 1976 as a yn living in Missouri. I went to local shows as well as the St. Louis shows all through my high school years. I met many great people, as did my parents, and finally hooked up the two that mentored me for many years. I never attended summer seminar as a yn but sure wish I had. So now I get to attend as an instructor. And what a blast it is.

I really believe that yn's are the future. Therefore I try and give as much attention to them as possible. This includes sponsoring a yn for summer seminar. I may be wrong, but I think that there has never been a case where a yn needed a scholarship to attend summer seminar that didn't get it. PNG, CSNS, and many, many other coin clubs have scholarships available that go unused. Not to mention the countless number of coin dealerships willing to sponsor a yn.

But it takes more than just a scholarship to summer seminar to nurture a yn. The Lakota Sioux said it best..."It takes a village to raise a child". Parents, coin club members, coin dealers, as well as the ANA play a part.

Don't give up. Call the ANA and ask to talk to Jane Colvard. Explain to her your situation. Then come back here and post here response.

njcoincrank
    www.numismaticamericana.com
  • Options
    I have no problem with the amount of tasks you would have to do. The problem is not every town has a coin show to exhibit at, a scout program to give lectures to, or a coin club. That is the point. Not the amount of things you would have to do
  • Options
    loro1rojoloro1rojo Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    Being a YN myself... I see from were the OP is coming from. I don't know whether or not there are more YN collectors now than there were 50 years ago. The fact that YN are hard to come by should be no surprise. It takes a specific type of person to become very involved in numismatics, and I believe that most 13-20 year olds don't have the decipline or the interest to get involved with the hobby.

Coin collecting is like many things. As people get older, their tastes and hobbies change. I do think that as people become older, they are more likely to get invovled in numismatics (mostly because of the discipline and the money needed). Are we to be freaking out about the fact that 20 year olds prefer rum over wine.. and that the wine industry will be left bankrupt within the next 30 years? No, since as we grow up and change.. so do our taste, and the 20 year old today who only drinks rum will eventually discover the great taste in wine, and refine his drinking habits.

There will always be coin collectors out there. YN programs are very important, but we need to see things in propective. We are not in the verge of no more demand or anything like that. As my generation gets older, more and more of us will get involved in numismatics...
    -Gabe
  • Options
    For a YN you know a little too much about wine image
    Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

laxmaster92, great post.

I went through similar issues when I was a YN. In fact, I wrote a letter to the editor of Coin World regarding these problems when I was 15. I grew up in rural Missouri and had limited income and a severe problem with gathering information regarding coins. Nowadays our YNs have the internet, which is an amazing educational tool. I can't image what it would have been like for me if I had access to forums like this one when I was a YN. Even getting coins books was a major challenge. Our local library had a few and I did subscribe to Coin World and COINS magazine, but that's about it. I didn't attend a major coin show until I was in my 20s.

So, how did I deal with these problems? Well, I should say how did "we" deal with this problems. James Garcia, my childhood friend, fellow collector and eventually my partner in a coin business, and I started our own coin club in the 7th grade. It eventually became the largest coin club in the school. We arranged for guest speakers to come in for the club meetings, had drawings, educational presentations, etc. It was great. The bottom line is that you don't have to try to fit into the YN mold as defined by the ANA. Educate yourself on this forum, start a coin club at school, write your own papers and submit them to publications. Just enjoy the hobby and your coins. And, finally, read, read, read and then read some more!
  • Options
    laxmaster, you raise a few good points, but I think you're leaving out a lot.

First of all, exhibiting and lecturing only have to be "EXTREMELY" in-depth if you want them to be. You can do exhibits that require $100,000 in resources and thousands of hours of research, or you can do exhibits that require $25 in resources and half an hour in research. Lecturing can be viewed similarly. Some talks require hours of scrutinizing microfilm, while others merely require a quick glance in the redbook and a couple of online searches. It's only going to be as tough to complete as you make it.

This same point can be made for writing articles. You can even write opinion pieces, which can require absolutely no research. I recall a couple Summers ago Max Speigel (one of the nation's best YNs) winning a literary award for his article "What I think of the New $20 Bill." It's as simple as that. On the other hand, if you wanted, you can write something that requires substantial research and time.

The Boy Scout merit badge is not a particularly in-depth and difficult task to complete. Perhaps if you sit down and do it all at once it may be difficult, but if you spread it a little bit, say, maybe an hour or two of work over the course of 3 days, it isn't hard at all. Perhaps the only aspect that may present trouble is going to a local coin show.

YN Scholarships for Summer Seminar are not particularly a difficult thing to earn. I'd say a little less than half of those that apply (with a serious, properly filled out application) will receive one. And you don't necessarily have to have done numerous things to receive one--just a couple of talks and maybe an article or two and you've got a decent shot.

The ANA is your friend. Although some of their programs are only available to people who are able to travel long distances, their remaining programs are meant to help you develop your interest. Besides exhibiting, giving talks, and writing articles, what other aspects of the hobby do you think the ANA should advocate? Reading a book? Finishing a set? The ANA is not just an association that's there to reward you for doing things, they are there the spread numismatic knowledge and advance the hobby. Articles, lectures and exhibits are ways that you can spread knowledge to others. Are their other ways of spreading knowledge that you could recommend the ANA should take up? If so, then THAT should be your first article.

I'm a YN too, and if the "92" in laxmaster92 is any indication of your birthyear, then I'm the same age as you. It's worth your time to investigate the different academic channels of numismatics, you get a chance to find out what different ways you can display your knowledge and you also may wind up learning about something you find especially fascinating and developing it into a specialty.

Editted for spelling.
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804

<< <i>I don't get the YN thing. Why spend energy trying to get kids interested in a hobby that requires discretionary income that most kids don't have? Are kids really the future of the hobby? What does that mean, anyway? If it means that without recruiting young collectors, there will be fewer collectors in the future, isn't that something collectors might want? Think about all the rarities you could buy if there were fewer collectors competing for the same coins. Or do collectors simply want to generate demand? It's seems like a double-edged sword. We want increased demand so the coins we currently own appreciate in value, but we don't want that demand when we buy in the future.

Even if we're not concerned with the money side of it, and only want more collectors for friendship and camaraderie, isn't it Walter Breenish for adults to want to "mentor" kid collectors? Half the pedophiles who get busted on Dateline NBC say they just wanted to mentor the child. There are some other eerie parallels like gifts of coins to a child, or meetings away from the child's parents at shows and seminars. I would, to put it gently, be suspicious of any adult - coin collector or not - who wanted to give my kids expensive presents or be friends with them. Knowing what we know nowadays, it's strange that any organization would want to help facilitate meetings between adults and children. >>

My vote for Dumb Post Award.
  • Options

WTF. Who are you? Are you so obsessed with the money aspect of this hobby that you have no respect for people who may not have the finances you do? Do you have no desire to ensure a future to the numismatic hobby? Hell, why don't we halt all public education in America so it's easier for people who go to expensive private schools to get the best jobs.
  • Options
    Your post seems to be about two issues: the benefits of an ANA junior membership, and how a YN living in a remote area without a local coin club, scout troop, or coin show can exhibit and give talks.

The ANA is amazingly supportive of YN's.

If you are an ANA junior member, you need to know that the ANA's library is available to you. It's not just an incredible array of numismatic books, but also videotapes and DVD's. They ship to everywhere.

The ANA publishes an electronic newsletter for YN's several times a year. The articles are submitted by YN's.

The ANA publishes The Numismatist magazine. They consider submissions from everyone.

The ANA has correspondence courses on various numismatic topics that you can order and work through. There is a fee for the books. You can work towards your Numismatic Diploma.

You mentioned the Ancient Coin Project and the Early American Coppers project.

There is an ANA mail-bid YN auction every August. Check it out.

That's just for starters. Call the ANA to find out more.

If you want to exhibit, some venues to look into besides coin shows are your school library, the local library, a local historical society if there is one.
    If you want to write, consider writing numismatic articles for your school paper or website, the local paper, or CoinWorld, Numismatic News, etc. You could also write mini-articles in your area of interest and post them on sites such as this one. You could start your own newsletter in your area of interest.
    If you want to give numismatic talks, consider giving a talk at a local library, elementary school, or at another organization like a house of worship or civic meeting.
    You're on the internet, so why not create a numismatic website of your own, a coin blog, or do a coin video and put it on Youtube. You could borrow a video camera from a neighbor, friend, or school if they loan them out.
    If you want to have a local coin club and none presently exist, could you start one? Is there an opportunity to start clubs at your school? Or, create a club and find a meeting place outside of school, perhaps at a community or civic center.

Good luck!
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I am tempted to *somewhat condescendingly* pat the OP on the shoulder and commiserate with him, I see no upside in doing so. Desireable things in life - those things which add value to our experience here - seldom come easy. And those who want things badly enough will do whatever it takes to achieve them.

Extraordinary achievers will seldom, if ever, be heard complaining about lack of opportunity. Those unique individuals tend to create their own, or take advantage of whatever is available to the absolute best of their abilities - often in ways not previously seen by others.

I hope that the OP will seek out the counsel of others in trying to figure out the best ways to take advantage of what IS available to him, and that he can succeed within the framework of what currently exists to support the YN's in the ANA. If he finds things that don't work or are needlessly difficult, possible he can use that experience to bring about change to benefit the participants who follow him.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    laxmaster92, that is a pretty decent post with many points that I can agree with.

I understand that for several YN's there may be issues where there is a lower population of coin collectors and where you live. It's tough to meet every single requirement listed for the YN ancient coin collecting program or the other programs they want YN's to be involved in.

BUT, I must disagree with your ANA rant as a YN. Being an ANA YN myself I find that membership there is extremely beneficial. You receive a monthly newsletter, access to the ANA library, direct submission to NGC, and the dues per year are less than a regular member.
    It seems that for your situation you should contact the ANA, tell them about your situation, and ask if you could write something for the Numismatist to receive credit for the Ancient Coin Collecting program. I'm sure the ANA would be flexible on you and other people in the similar situation.
    Also, if you remain active enough by writing a couple articles, then you would likely be able to qualify and win an ANA YN Summer Seminar Scholarship.

These are some of the things I have used and contributed by being an ANA YN member.

Good luck and have fun.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    laxmaster-

I am glad you shared your opinion, However, before you started ranting and whining about the situation, did you actually contact the ANA Education department and ask them how someone in your particular circumstance can be more involved and take advantage of the opportunities? The ANA is extremely supportive of YNs and go to extraordinary measures to ensure that every opportunity is afforded those YNs who do not have the numismatic "privileges" that others may have. I know of these measures personally as I was on staff for almost three years was intimately involved with YN scholarships, internships, and all other YN programs.

Looking for solutions should be your goal.

Other minor points...

1. YNs are defined as those collectors who are less than 23 years old, not 13-18 (that's an ANA Junior member).
    2. The "EXTREMELY" in-depth projects to which you refer are not THAT detailed, but they do actually require a YN to do some numismatic work. Geez...in return you get amazing ancient coins or early American coppers...at NO CHARGE!
    3. The ANA supports the travel, lodging, food, and tuition for up to 12-15 YNs each year to travel to Summer Seminar (yes, in the "distant" state of Colorado). In other words, it's FREE! Of course, you actually have to apply, but you don't have to be the next rising star in numismatics to be awarded a scholarship.
    4. Giving "lectures" and developing exhibits is done by many YNs across the country. Some of whom even do this WITHOUT the expectation of being rewarded by the ANA or other numismatic organization. And indeed, many of whom have very limited means.
    4. Yes, the ANA does require that YN's be a bit responsible. The ANA provides opportunities and is not an entitlement program.

I suggest you contact the ANA and open a dialog if you really want to become involved.

Lane

Edited for spelling...
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't get the YN thing. Why spend energy trying to get kids interested in a hobby that requires discretionary income that most kids don't have? Are kids really the future of the hobby? What does that mean, anyway? If it means that without recruiting young collectors, there will be fewer collectors in the future, isn't that something collectors might want? Think about all the rarities you could buy if there were fewer collectors competing for the same coins. Or do collectors simply want to generate demand? It's seems like a double-edged sword. We want increased demand so the coins we currently own appreciate in value, but we don't want that demand when we buy in the future. >>

There's a lot more to the hobby than just buying and selling.
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options

<< <i> The problem is not every town has a coin show to exhibit at, a scout program to give lectures to, or a coin club. >>

IMO the ANA could put more focus on local clubs and put more effort into building, sustaining the hobby at the local, grass roots level. Help clubs get started. Help clubs revitilize. Help clubs reach their local town or city with programs and events. That is something the ANA in particular and the hobby in general could benefit from instead of grandiose pipe dream ideas of bi-coastal museums, etc.

I hope the new board takes the ANA back to it's roots, the grass roots of the hobby.
  • Options
    LostSislerLostSisler Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

<< <i>laxmaster-

The ANA is extremely supportive of YNs and go to extraordinary measures to ensure that every opportunity is afforded those YNs who do not have the numismatic "privileges" that others may have. >>

I could not agree more.

My first time to the ANA Summer Seminar was in 1995. I was late in applying so I did not receive the scholarship that I wanted. I called the ANA and they found a scholarship that no one had applied for yet. I applied for it (had to do my first paper on Ancients) and received the scholarship!

In 1988 I started a coin club at my grade school and wrote the ANA a letter, requesting materials. They responded with an entire box of The Numismatists and a brand-new Red book for the schools library. It was fantastic.

I have been doing something special for National Coin Week since 1997. Every year I contact the ANA and they'll send me a box, or two or three (FYI;another good resource for Numismatic handouts is the US Mint).

I could go on and on. Geeze, this has brought back memories... borrowing books from the library when I was ten, sending "rubbings" to Bob Hoge for his opinions, lol.

Come to Summer Seminar, make it your number ONE priority and you will never regret it.
    Because to Err is Human.
    I specialize in Errors, Minting, Counterfeit Detection & Grading.
    Computer-aided grading, counterfeit detection, recognition and imaging.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best and brightest YNs are here.

Take note, PCGS/CU.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>The responsibility for taking the initial steps toward an all-or-partial-expenses paid, limited capacity educational and social gathering should be done by the hopeful recipient. >>

Bravo! Except how does a kid, with no income, save enough money to buy a roundtrip plane ticket, meals, and lodging? Heck, I'm an adult with a job and even I can't afford all that!
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The responsibility for taking the initial steps toward an all-or-partial-expenses paid, limited capacity educational and social gathering should be done by the hopeful recipient. >>

Bravo! Except how does a kid, with no income, save enough money to buy a roundtrip plane ticket, meals, and lodging? Heck, I'm an adult with a job and even I can't afford all that! >>

The ANA YN scholarships (and many scholarships through local and national clubs) provide financial support for travel, lodging, meals, and tuition. In other words, it is free to the YN.

Also, the ANA offers adult scholarships as well; however the financial support is not as much.

As an aside, the Summer Seminar program is a bargain. Well, actually beyond a bargain. For the price of the Seminar (from around $800 or so, depending on lodging choice) at a MINIMUM, you get five nights lodging, three "all you can eat" meals a day, a few receptions, a nice banquet, AND tuition for 25 hours (4 1/2 days) of numismatic instruction from an expert cast of instructors; some of whom wrote the books we all read. Add to this the networking, trading, late night "conferences," and you have an amazing bargain.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    Posted by request...

Dear laxmaster92,

As a long-time staff member of the American Numismatic Association I’ve always believed that one of the primary roles of the ANA was to encourage young collectors in their numismatic pursuits. As such, I am disturbed by your recent posting on the PCGS Message Board regarding the Young Numismatist programs offered by the ANA. Please contact me directly; I would love to talk with you personally so that I can understand the challenges you are facing. I’m certain that, together, we will figure out how the ANA’s educational and YN programs and opportunities can begin to work for you.

I can be reached by phone at 719-482-9869 or via email at colvard@money.org.

Jane L. Colvard

ANA Education Manager

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options

<< <i>

As an aside, the Summer Seminar program is a bargain. Well, actually beyond a bargain. For the price of the Seminar (from around $800 or so, depending on lodging choice) at a MINIMUM, you get five nights lodging, three "all you can eat" meals a day, a few receptions, a nice banquet, AND tuition for 25 hours (4 1/2 days) of numismatic instruction from an expert cast of instructors; some of whom wrote the books we all read. Add to this the networking, trading, late night "conferences," and you have an amazing bargain.

Lane >>

Amen
  • Options
    "As an aside, the Summer Seminar program is a bargain. Well, actually beyond a bargain. For the price of the Seminar (from around $800 or so, depending on lodging choice) at a MINIMUM, you get five nights lodging, three "all you can eat" meals a day, a few receptions, a nice banquet, AND tuition for 25 hours (4 1/2 days) of numismatic instruction from an expert cast of instructors; some of whom wrote the books we all read. Add to this the networking, trading, late night "conferences," and you have an amazing bargain."

That's actually SIX nights lodging, Lane! It's even more of a bargain than you remembered!

Not to mention several numismatic talks each evening. And internet access. Plus a free shuttle bus to and from the airport. You don't need to rent a car.

Laxmaster92- Jane and the ANA are reaching out to you here. Pretty amazing. Please call her today! And post again on how you've decided to proceed.
  • Options

<< <i>That's actually SIX nights lodging, Lane! It's even more of a bargain than you remembered!

Not to mention several numismatic talks each evening. And internet access. Plus a free shuttle bus to and from the airport. You don't need to rent a car.

Laxmaster92- Jane and the ANA are reaching out to you here. Pretty amazing. Please call her today! And post again on how you've decided to proceed. >>

Thanks for chiming in, Lora! image

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options

<< <i>Posted by request...

Dear laxmaster92,

As a long-time staff member of the American Numismatic Association I’ve always believed that one of the primary roles of the ANA was to encourage young collectors in their numismatic pursuits. As such, I am disturbed by your recent posting on the PCGS Message Board regarding the Young Numismatist programs offered by the ANA. Please contact me directly; I would love to talk with you personally so that I can understand the challenges you are facing. I’m certain that, together, we will figure out how the ANA’s educational and YN programs and opportunities can begin to work for you.

I can be reached by phone at 719-482-9869 or via email at colvard@money.org.

Jane L. Colvard

ANA Education Manager >>

imageimage
    What Mr. Spock would say about numismatics...
    image... "Fascinating, but not logical"

"Live long and prosper"

My "How I Started" columns
  • Options
    As a former YN who was really active in the mid 1990s, here are my two cents:

I came from a middle-class background and neither of my parents were interested in coins at all. For some reason, coins just fascinated me and I wanted to learn everything that I could about them. The ANA was/is incredible to YNs and I can say the same with Central States and a few other organizations. If you are excited about numismatics, there are dozens of hobbyists who will help you out and the opportunities are endless - but like everything else, it takes some initiative to put yourself out there and let people know your interest in getting more involved.

I met some of my best friends at the summer seminars; some trips were paid for by ANA scholarships, some by other organizations. I can say that the hobby's been pretty good to me.

Granted, exhibiting requires you to go to a convention, but writing articles doesn't and the ANA has a great awards program.

Feel free to shoot me an email if you want to learn more about the opportunities that the hobby provides young people.

Steve Roach
    http://www.collectinginsider.com/ (under construction)
  • Options
    Astrorat, thanks for posting, I sent an email to Jane and I will post her response.
    I did not mean for this post to stir up so much disagreement.
    The post was written in the frustaion of wanting to be involved with the ANA but not have the resources to do so. In no way was I trying to diss the ANA, and Im sorry if the post came across that way
  • Options
    It just goes to show you and all the other YNs that there are a lot of people who care that you enjoy the hobby and that you sucessful in your endervors. All lot of these people will go out of thier way(as shown in these postings) to point you in the right direction and try to make sure your journey is a pleasant one. Take charge and enjoy. Jane will do everything in her power to assist you. Now grab the bat and go hit a few homeruns.
    Dr. Terrance Wilson
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    While majorly flawed it still seems to be much more than what was available when I was a kid.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread!

Thanks for posting laxmaster. I agree with you re: the Numismatist. I enjoy it as well.

I have several YNs (grandkids) and I'm bookmarking this post for reference. There is a lot of information here for young and old.
  • Options
    As promised. Janes response-

It’s so good to hear from you---thank you so much for contacting me! No worries about the posting; I can certainly understand your frustrations and will work with you to figure out how you can become more involved with the ANA YN programs and hopefully connect with others on a local level as well.

First, and because it is that time of year and the deadline is looming, do you have a desire to attend Summer Seminar in Colorado Springs? If so, I’ve attached the YN Scholarship application for the 2008 session to this email. With just a little bit of effort on your part you can receive either a full (including airfare) or a partial (tuition, lodging, food and tours) scholarship. I’ve been managing this program for two years and to date all qualified applicants (ANA members between the ages of 13 and 23) who submitted a complete scholarship application received an award.

I do realize that you are not involved with a local club and obtaining a recommendation from an ANA member might be difficult, so I would be willing to accept a recommendation from another source such as a coach, scout leader, or even a teacher who has worked with you in an extra-curricular school-type environment like student government, etc.

Now here is your tip… make certain that you fully express your desire and interest in coin collecting on the application through the essay questions. The scholarship selection committee is composed of several former YNs who firmly believe that they are where they are today, because someone gave them a chance to attend Summer Seminar when they were teens. So, they all believe in the program and have a strong desire to mentor YNs---most especially those who have a strong desire and interest.

All that being said, please tell me about your interests, thoughts and ideas. What do you collect? How did you get interested in coin collecting in the first place? How would you like to become more involved?

Thank you again for emailing Erik, I look forward to hearing from you! BTW---please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions you might have regarding the YN scholarship application, program or process.

Kind regards,

Jane

Jane L. Colvard
    Education Manager

American Numismatic Association
    818 North Cascade Avenue
    Colorado Springs, CO 80903-3279

• Options
    That's a awesome reply, I hope you can take advantage of it. image
  • Options

<< <i>Astrorat, thanks for posting, I sent an email to Jane and I will post her response.
    I did not mean for this post to stir up so much disagreement.
    The post was written in the frustaion of wanting to be involved with the ANA but not have the resources to do so. In no way was I trying to diss the ANA, and Im sorry if the post came across that way >>

No worries...I can appreciate your frustration as it is sometimes difficult to know where to turn for your answers. I hope you take Jane's advice...she is aces!

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    Becoka, the ANA's YN programs are not majorly flawed. The ANA's YN programs are AWESOME- it just takes a little time to fully understand the scope of their programs and resources and how they interweave. The ANA supports and encourages YN's on several different levels. It's really more like a 3D matrix than something that can be fully grasped from looking at a list on a website.

A YN can be active on a personal, local, regional, or national level. Besides numismatic reading and working on a personal collection, YN activities are similar to adult numismatist activities, with a couple of exceptions. First, most group YN activities are geared to the attention span of a young person and may include more "fun" activities such as play money auctions and games. Second, YN's are not in huge supply across the country so those that become involved tend to get considerable interest and kindness from the adult numismatists they meet. So basic numismatic activities for both YN's and adults might include attending coin club meetings, perhaps speaking and exhibiting and writing on numismatic topics, and attending shows, most of which can happen on the local or regional levels if not national. YN's who live in more populated or numismatically active regions may luck out with vibrant YN communities within their local coin club, or regional YN meetings and programs that may be held in conjunction with coin shows.

In less populated parts of the country, YN's can feel as isolated as adult numismatists, and even more. Obviously on-line numismatic communities can be a significant source of interaction and fun. The internet is especially significant to YN's. So to our list of YN numismatic activity let's add perusing internet forums, auctions, and of course ebay. Typical challenges for younger YN's include not being able to drive or transport themselves to coin shops, shows, or even regional libraries. More significant, though, is that full-time students work on an academic calendar. They have to be in school for most of the year, they are in school for most of the day, and when they're out of school they are busy with homework and activities and family commitments. What all of this means is that most YN numismatic activity and interaction happens outside of the M-F, 9am-5pm window. That's true also for many working adults, but it's not the same because kids are on the move during the school day, not at a desk (where they might quickly be able to check their email) and unable to take phone calls during class or athletic practice. Lastly, coin collecting is not a mainstream or familiar hobby to most kids these days, unless they have a family member in the hobby or business of numismatics. Even in populated areas, a YN may not know a single other kid who is into coins. That's one thing that makes Summer Seminar so fantastic for YN's- it's probably the first time they've been with a group of peers who share their strong interest, as well as adults who are also very interested.

One thing that is very cool about the ANA's YN support is that you can enter their "matrix" at the point of your own choosing and work with the resources that most interest you. The ANA is all about educating people in their area of interest and connecting them with others who share that interest. Think of their programs as an a la carte menu. You order a meal you like, and maybe taste a bite from your spouse's plate. For example, a YN who is interested in ancients can progress through the Ancient Coin Project. A YN who likes to write can submit research articles or opinion pieces. If a kid likes to give talks but doesn't like to exhibit, that's fine. The key is to inform oneself about the resources available, and figure out how the best fit between what is offered and what one wants to learn or do.

There is no right or wrong way to explore the various programs. The only thing that matters is that you take the initiative and keep on exploring. Every coin club has people who are active, and those who just show up at meetings. When I hear complaints about the ANA's resources for YN's, I know it is coming from a shower-upper or a person who just isn't aware of what the ANA offers. The ANA bends over backwards to include and challenge YN's and find ways to help them learn what they want to learn, and then some. If this thread isn't a good example of this, I don't know what is. Yesterday the OP was expressing frustration and today he's invited to apply for a scholarship and is urged to be specific about his interests and his ideas. There's a good chance that Jane will take his feedback into consideration as she develops future programming.

One more thing before I return to my ANA correspondence course homework. (I'm serious: "Grading Coins Today.") There has been so much ANA drama during the last couple of years. The ANA's lamp of YN programming and support burned so brightly through it all, yet on this forum and in the numismatic press, negative sentiment towards the ANA in general was often vociferous and at times woefully uninformed. The people at ANA headquarters who are responsible for (or involved with) education and YN programming are some of the hardest working, most dedicated, most people-oriented, most solid folks you will ever meet. I urge you to look into the ANA's educational offerings- they do it all for the members!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file