Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Oil at $100................

NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. crude oil futures hit a record $100 a barrel on Wednesday, surging more than $4 as violence in OPEC members Nigeria and Algeria combined with a weak dollar and a cold snap to boost crude futures.

Fresh buying at the new year was also cited as helping lift the oil futures complex.

On the New York Mercantile Exchange at 12:17 p.m. EST, February crude was up $2.67 or 2.78 percent at $98.65 a barrel, trading from $96.05 to $100.00, a record front-month high, eclipsing the previous record of $99.29 hit November 21.

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see it at 99.20 now and the days high of 100, yikes......
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope gold goes to 1500. Then oil should be at $157 and gasoline at $4.49 before taxes.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,436 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Petrobras stock is doing quite nicely, thank you.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    We need Alan Greenspan to give an "irrational exuberance" speech to the oil market.
  • Options
    I wouldn't put too much credence on that $100 trade - it was a paper trade in the pit between 2 locals (independent traders) on the floor of the NYMEX, not an electronic trade which is where most of the hedge funds & institutions execute their trades.

Not saying it won't get to $100 in electronic trading fairly soon, but I used to be an independent trader on the floor of the NYMEX & know how far certain people will go just to get a print at a certain price.
  • Options
    Does someone have a link to a coin forum?
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does someone have a link to a coin forum? >>

Given how much oil has been connected to gold prices lately, and how much gold prices can influence the coin market, this isn't as OT as the OT police would try to make it sound.
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374

<< <i>Does someone have a link to a coin forum? >>

Here ya go...........image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    I have 2008 PCGS FIRST STRIKE barrels of oil for sale for only $175. Shipping a real nightmare though. image
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold hit $861!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gold rings in record high
    Investors flock to the safety of precious metals amid concerns about global instability and surging oil prices.

By Ben Rooney, CNNMoney.com staff writer
    January 2 2008: 2:01 PM EST

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Gold prices surged into record territory Wednesday as lingering geopolitical concerns and a spike in oil prices fueled demand for the precious metal.

The price of gold jumped $23.30 to $861.30 per ounce by mid-day Wednesday after settling at $838 on Monday on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

"With global uncertainties, a big rise in crude prices and stocks wobbling, people are having memories of 1980," said Jon Nadler a Senior Analyst at Kitco Bullion Dealers in Montreal.

Gold prices reached a record high of $825.50 in January of 1980, amid a similar combination of geopolitical turmoil and high energy prices. But that record was topped in November, as oil prices and a weak dollar drove gold prices to a settle price of $833.50 per ounce.

Nadler thinks that gold's current rally is being fueled by global uncertainties highlighted by the assassination of former Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto last week.

Investors are wary of political instability and tend to flock to safe-haven investments like precious metals when signs of unrest become apparent.

Meanwhile, crude prices pushed past $100 a barrel Wednesday. The record breaking run was sparked by violence in oil-rich Nigeria, anticipation of another dip in domestic stockpiles and a halt in crude imports from Mexico.

In addition to global uncertainty and surging oil prices, concerns about the domestic economy are also supporting gold's rally.

The Institute of Supply Management said Wednesday that manufacturing activity unexpectedly declined in December. The report raised questions about the possibility of another Federal Reserve interest rate cut and concerns that the country may slip into a recession.

Nadler thinks the situation could change but sees more volatility in the first half of the year, with big swings in the price of gold becoming commonplace.

"We're entering uncharted territory, we'll have to see how sustainable it is," he said.

• Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

Neat! Maybe all those Dolley Madison coins will be profitable after all.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Neat! Maybe all those Dolley Madison coins will be profitable after all. >>

Thats what I was thinking, the Dolley unc's are lookin good at $509image
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file