Comments

• Options
    I spend all dateless buffalos.
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'll be dropping some counterstamped nickels into circulation:

image >>

Speaking as someone who has served in Iraq during the present conflict, I find your comment disrespectful and unnecessary. This thread was supposed to be about a coin drop, not politics. While I respect your opinion, I feel that you were totally out of line for posting in that manner as it was inflammatory and completely unwarranted. That being said, I'll spend some Wheaties and Buffs before Christmas.

Tom >>

There you go....well saidimage
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    23Pairer23Pairer Posts: 911 ✭✭✭
    Great idea on your part, bad form on this member's part

• Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    But back to the drop, I am thinking of cracking a proof set or two. Where do you think I should spend the coins so they won't get swallowed up by coin processors? I have never found a proof coin in circulation, but have read here that others have. I think it would be pretty cool to find one.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have about 400 rolls of Westward Journey Bison nickels in US Mint sealed rolls, would those be good to give out? They aren't really old, but they are currently uncirculated. I don't have any cool old coins to throw out, maybe some green IHC's.
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have about 400 rolls of Westward Journey Bison nickels in US Mint sealed rolls, would those be good to give out? They aren't really old, but they are currently uncirculated. I don't have any cool old coins to throw out, maybe some green IHC's. >>

I wouldn't want to go buy something just to spend, but if I did....
    I guess Wheat Cents and dateless Buffalos would be the least expensive coins to buy
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few bags of 1895 business strike Morgans clutterin up my garsge. Would those be ok to drop?image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a few bags of 1895 business strike Morgans clutterin up my garsge. Would those be ok to drop?image >>

I would go with the 1964 Peace dollars instead...
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    WarNickelHoarder,

Speaking as someone who has served in Iraq during the present conflict, I find your comment disrespectful and unnecessary. This thread was supposed to be about a coin drop, not politics. While I respect your opinion, I feel that you were totally out of line for posting in that manner as it was inflammatory and completely unwarranted. That being said, I'll spend some Wheaties and Buffs before Christmas.

I spoke earlier in this thread and swore that I'd leave it alone from here on out but just wanted to agree with you. I was active duty in Operation Desert Shield and now Civil Service and have been to OIF several times. I agree that the counterstamped coin is disrespectful and was completely unwarranted in this thread.

It really disturbs me to perform my job for the great country of the United States of America which has freed and liberated two countries from tyranny only to have stuff like this happen.

Also the bulk of their opinion comes from the internet and the bulk of my opinion comes from making a tactical approach in a C-130 in the middle of the night (greatest thrill ride ever) and my PERSONAL experiences from talking with Iraqi citizens.

God Bless them and their freedom to pursue peace but I wish they'd do it in a respectful manner.

Thanks for your service.

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This forum has way too many liberals!!!! image
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

<< <i>But back to the drop, I am thinking of cracking a proof set or two. Where do you think I should spend the coins so they won't get swallowed up by coin processors? I have never found a proof coin in circulation, but have read here that others have. I think it would be pretty cool to find one. >>

GritsMan, I'd spend the nickel, dime and quarter in a vending machine. The coins will get rolled and sent to a bank and may or may not circulate through retail outlets. You may also want to carry them around as pocket pieces for a few months before spending them so they get a little wear and don't stand out as much against other coins in circulation.
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>But back to the drop, I am thinking of cracking a proof set or two. Where do you think I should spend the coins so they won't get swallowed up by coin processors? I have never found a proof coin in circulation, but have read here that others have. I think it would be pretty cool to find one. >>

GritsMan, I'd spend the nickel, dime and quarter in a vending machine. The coins will get rolled and sent to a bank and may or may not circulate through retail outlets. You may also want to carry them around as pocket pieces for a few months before spending them so they get a little wear and don't stand out as much against other coins in circulation. >>

Ah, good advice. Hadn't thought of that. I'll throw the half out there, too. Maybe one of you will find it!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    DuPapaDuPapa Posts: 495 ✭✭

I got a full date 1935 S Buffy in change from a 7/11 two weeks ago. My first thoughts were some thief stole a collection and was just spending the money or a collectors young-one raided the collection for candy money since an elementary school is near by.
    I never ssupected it could have been the result of a coin drop.

On the other issue of this thread I won't make comment. I have read this entire thread and noted several members making comment of their experiences while serving there. I belong to another forum (wine orientated) in which the members have been sending packages to our troops in Iraq.
    This forum rules no longer allow discussion on religion and politics for reasons of maintaining civil discourse after several members quit because of hurt feelings from rude comments in heated exchanges. Much like what has been going on here.

The Scout Platoon Leader, WestPoint graduate Jimm Spangler, sends us updates on what they have been doing and accomplishing. His is a front line troop in the thick of action. The following link will take you to his emails from Oct 2006 – May 2007 and give an insight to his experience as a front line warrior.

The post has 3 pages.Messages from Iraq
  • Options

<< <i>I have a few bags of 1895 business strike Morgans clutterin up my garsge. Would those be ok to drop?image >>

Ya know Bajjie- I was think the same thing with the 3 bags of the 64 Peace dollars I got in the office, mebbe I'll toss a few in the ol Salvation Army kettle, or flip one to a cute waitress down at the Kenny's restuarant, and then!!!!!

I'll grab that bag o 16-d merc dimes and toss them out my truck window as I drive by the elementary school this evening- the kids will have a blast when they show up in the mornin....

Actually I have 6 rolls of culled out IHC's- I think I know what to do with them now..- great idea guys- a coin drop.

NO POLITICS WHILE PLAYIN IN THE COIN FORUM>>>>
  • Options
    It's sad to see some of the ones on here, who if they lived in Iraq or Afghanistan, would have been damn proud this govt took the action it took..I feel sorry for those of you that just don't get it. Mistakes made? Sure...it happens in every war..That's that way it is...those of you that live in a world where YOU have never made a mistake, need to go out into the world.

D***, liberals really p*** me off.

And this is not the forum for this crap.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought about dropping a dime, but then realized Oprah is better at that than me image
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Stamping this crap on coins isn't going to change anyone's mind. It's obnoxious, and it's an act of desperation. >>

seems like a exercise in free speech to me. whether or not i agree w/ it, it does'nt bother me to see someone speaking out about what he believes in

more c/s coins, please!

K S
  • Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭
    1918 Mercury today in the register at work. Probably go F maybe VF. nothing to write home about just my oldest find in a while in circ. change.
    I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Options

<< <i>Hey, both sides- can we lose the politics, please? >>

Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

• Options

<< <i>I spend old coins from time to time as well...I particularly like spending Ikes- I spent one at a convenience store the other night, and the clerk immediately took a dollar bill out of his pocket and put it in the register, keeping the coin. I asked him if he collected coins, and he said no, he just wanted the Ike because it was interesting. Hopefully the planted seed will grow...

Now, for the rest of the thread- I've quietly sat by long enough:

Once again, a thread with a good topic has been steered WAY off topic. I think it's sad that these coin forums are being turned into a place for people to constantly argue their political views. I'm sure there are web sites with forums devoted to politics that would be a better venue for this type of debate. Arguing politics here isn't going to change any one's opinion. I believe in freedom of speech 100%, but I also believe in being considerate to others (especially the person who started the thread) and exercising that right in an appropriate venue. Selling political beliefs here, to me, is just another form of spam.

Now, I'm getting off my soap box and going back to my coins...perhaps others can do the same.

--Christian >>

Best Regards,

Rob

• Options
    As for the coin drop...I'll see what I can come up with!
    Best Regards,

Rob

• Options
    putting all politics aside...

someone said that spending a counter stamped coin was illegal.

I dont think that is true.

several years ago I did a news story on TV about dollar bills that were being circulated with the words "Gay Money" stamped on them... it was an attempt by a certain group to show how their money spread through the economy. In reporting the story, one of the first questions I asked was "is this legal to do?" the answer from the Federal Reserve was "yes." You can print political messages on currency... and I would take that to mean you can also counterstamp coins with political messages, and it would be just as legal.

a couple of years ago the Congress changed the law that prohibited advertising messages on postage, which is why you can now buy custom printed postage with company logos on them from companies such as stamps.com

if anyone has any new info that says counter stamped coins are illegal to spend, please advise. thanks.
  • Options
    Counterstamped coins are not illegal to spend, not illegal to stamp. Next thing you know, someone will say that you can't electroplate them or spend electroplated coins.
    I found one of those older Lincoln cents recently in change that has Kennedy's head stamped on it. Are you telling me that if I place it in the leave a penny tray some SS agent will come up from behind me and handcuff me and send me off to the hoosegow?
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the idea of coin drops, either being the recipient (just last week I got a 1951 D wheatie here in Washington DC area) or the giver as has been Gritsman.

As to the politics, this is a no win. I can not resist the temptation to respond, however to those writers that say we are doing good over there. I do believe the old expressions to the effect that goodness begins at home and that our house here in this country needs to be in order and that we need to stay the heck out of other peoples' business. Just imagine if we had an invading force of any type here and what our reaction would be (especially after we were told that it was for our own good)! Let us not go there with the murder rate increasing by 600% since we arrived in Iraq or opium production in Afghanistan up by tenfold now that we have "deals" with warlords/growers there.

I have in the course of my job interviewed many soldiers who have served over in Iraq and Afghanistan, and note the stories are far different than what we hear - very similar to those coming out of Vietnam. No clear mission, siege mentality, etc.....
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭
    TheThe real cost.
    Year.....US Deaths.....US Wounded
    2003......486 ..................2,411
    2005......846.................. 5,951
    2006..... 822...................6,398
    2007..... 883...................5,688
    Total....3886.................28,451

So, are you saying this is worse than what our courageous patriots faced on this one day that saved civilization?

D-Day Normandy June 6, 1944 6,603 Deaths

We need to have the stomach to fight important battles. Cut and run will lead to a fallen empire.

Back on topic, that's a wonderful idea to put old coins in circulation....I like it image
    In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

"La Vostra Nonna Ha Faccia Del Fungo"
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭

<< <i>-Day Normandy June 6, 1944 6,603 Deaths >>

When our soldiers marched though French towns they were greated with flowers and kisses. When our soldiers marched through Iraqi towns they were greated with IEDs.

CG

• Options
    lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭
    When our soldiers marched though French towns they were greated with flowers and kisses. When our soldiers marched through Iraqi towns they were greated with IEDs.

Agreed, however, War is not pretty nor is it a popularity contest.
    In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

"La Vostra Nonna Ha Faccia Del Fungo"
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nor do we belong in other peoples's backyards. WW II and fighting Hitler, etc. is NOT what we are doing in Iraq. Unfortunately we are there on a lie and that is a sad thing. We do not belong in this fight and there is nothing there for us except oil for the big companies to steal. We do not even hear about Al Quaida (sp? - always different).

I still want our administration to explain how 58 CONFIRMED instances of WMD have not panned out in a single case. This calls into question reliability of information given us by the leadership and CIA.

Meanwhile, let us keep searching for coins in change...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nor do we belong in other peoples's backyards. WW II and fighting Hitler, etc. is NOT what we are doing in Iraq. Unfortunately we are there on a lie and that is a sad thing. We do not belong in this fight and there is nothing there for us except oil for the big companies to steal. We do not even hear about Al Quaida (sp? - always different).

I still want our administration to explain how 58 CONFIRMED instances of WMD have not panned out in a single case. This calls into question reliability of information given us by the leadership and CIA.

Meanwhile, let us keep searching for coins in change... >>

Hey 7Jags, get over it!!

You sound like a broken record.

Have a nice night!
  • Options
    I started dropping some wheaties in Seymour, Tn.

Great idea Utah.

• Options
    I've been lurking for a while. I like to sort through bags of wheat pennies, and I make a pile of the really crusty old slicks and corroded baddies, which I contrive to drop in odd places. I have managed to actually watch once as a couple were found by kids and their excitement was stupendous. It is quite possibly the cheapest joy I have ever given a stranger and well worth the few cents apiece they cost.

Amusing graphic. I wonder if you thought much about the iconographic significance of peeing on Thomas Jefferson before you made it.

image >>

I must admit to being wryly amused by the controversy surrounding edix2001 and his coin dropping with some counterstamped nickels. I found it quite interesting the way a number of people immediately jumped on his case, so please allow me to offer a quick recap of what I see as the main events of this aspect of the thread. The Regulator tells edix to "Take it somwhere else, chump... ", Tyler 1924s refers to "defacing them with lame anti-war slogans", Japan John hopes that "you get in trouble..." (are we talking Gestapo John?), Grumpy Ed believes that "It's illegal to put them into circulation after counterstamping" (GrumpyEd needs to read the law), Ricko thinks that dropping such nickels means that "These idiots cannot see through their small minded hatred" (show me the hatred OR the small mindedness), Cinman14 suggested that we just let the message speak for itself (if I may generously paraphrase), to which edix2001 responded that the purpose was to "to get people talking". Mowgli thinks that "The problem is that this is a forum for coins, not politics" (even though every coin throughout history ALWAYS born some kind of political message). War Nickel Hoarder finds edix21s comments imageisrespectful and unnecessary. (Since when is "Peace on Earth" disrespectful to ANYBODY?). Gyocomgd thinks that dropping such nickels is analagous to burning the flag. TrustNo1 thinks the counterstamp is "delusional" and then adds that "if we call all that backed and called for war on Iraq liars, we would have to include Bill Clinton, Wifey Hellary, D student John Kerry to name a few". Messydesk asks: "Perhaps you could send me a coin and I can give it to the Iraqi woman I met..." (good idea! I'm sure she's tired of both lies and war!). 23Pairer comes up with the final irony by photoshopping an image in which Calvin (that scamp!) pees on the coins.

I just want to make some observations here, if I may. Let's just look at the message, how it is phrased, and how it is delivered. First the delivery; the new portrait of Thomas Jefferson is a bit somber looking, as if he has just spoken some words of wisdom. The portrait is facing us and there is a blank space there that just begs for Thomas to speak. If you read his writings (highly recommended) you will find that he was adamantly opposed to foreign intervention, and felt that maintaining peace was the highest duty of the government. He personally went so far as to buy off Napoleon (today we call it the Louisiana Purchase) rather than having to fight him, as would almost certainly have happened otherwise. So... the message on the coin is very Jeffersonian in concept and intent. Therefore, it is entirely appropriate as a numismatic "novelty" (which is what such things are called by the feds).

As to the message and the phrasing... NO MORE LIES on obverse, with NO MORE WAR on reverse. Okay, so what does it mean? These are exhortative statements, evidently intended to promote the adoption of a state of mind in which lies are not used, and warfare is not pursued. NO MORE LIES. What is offensive about this? Are lies EVER a good thing? Did they help Bill Clinton? We have an architect of American Democracy apparently exhorting us to give up lies and to become truth-tellers. NO MORE WAR. What is offensive about this? Is war ever a good thing? Even when it is necessary we still wish it were not so, and even as we pursue it we long for a state of peace. Nobody who has smelled the mixture bile and feces and vomit can ever think war is good, even if it is necesssary to protect those who we love. So if there is nothing offensive in the two messages taken separately... then is it the concatenation of the two that provokes such a visceral response? NO MORE LIES, NO MORE WAR. When we look at it this way it seems to imply that if there were no more lies, then there would be no more war. In fact, that appears to be the assertion that the piece is all about. It is an interesting assertion.... it causes us to think about wars of the past and whether lies had any role in those wars. Hitler's lies about his aims in Europe for instance? The lies told to Japanese soldiers about Americans? Bill Clinton's lies and whether that affected the Bosnian conflict? What about the lies believed by Muslim jihadists before sending them off on suicide missions? Is it possible to have a war without lies? An interesting question and admittedly perhaps one that exceeds the scope of this thread. But certainly there is no cause for the hate-filled rhetoric that has come from some who would likely call themselves "patriotic". What is most interesting is that a number of persons have jumped to the conclusion that the referent of the slogan involved both the current president and his war. THAT is what I find wryly amusing. The slogan is but six words with only 19 characters. It is enigmatic as well as forcefully exhortive. The point is to THINK about the various ways one might interpret a slogan like this, not just THOUGHTLESSLY assume something and fire off a rant.

And by the way, I was so intrigued that I did some sleuthing and I have (with some difficulty) managed to find a source of these nickels and have been a dropping a few myself. I travel a great deal and between these and the wheat pennies I have dropped more than 2000 pieces. I have a handful in my pocket right now and plan to drop a few tomorrow. Change trays in convenience stores, tips, phone booths, newspaper and vending machine coin return slots, slot machines, walking trails, national parks, truck-stops, airports... sometimes I bend down and feign picking it up right at sombody's feet and hand it to them saying "this must be yours" (nobody has EVER disagreed!). There are probably lots of other ideas too.

Copper, man's oldest metal, and still one of the most useful.
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I start a simple thread about dropping some coins into circulation to get some kids excited about collecting. Then along come a bunch of people that completely corrupt my thread and turn it into a Bush Bashing anti war thread.
    Thanks a lot people......
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options

<< <i>Very Lame. Well put JapanJohn. >>

I agree. Don't believe what the liberal media spews out. All you have to do is actually talk to someone who's been there.
    aka Dan
  • Options
    Back to topic though, I might start spending a few wheaties now and then.
    aka Dan
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    lol this thread has legs due to a certain post!
    USA! USA! USA! NATIONALISM! NATIONALISM! USA!

i already spent my ikes, susan Bs, and kennedy halves, but most
    went to the bank ;o)
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭

<< <i>Don't believe what the liberal media spews out. All you have to do is actually talk to someone who's been there. >>

Good advice. Here is a linke to the insights of some of our soldiers who have been there.

LINK-IVAW
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I start a simple thread about dropping some coins into circulation to get some kids excited about collecting. Then along come a bunch of people that completely corrupt my thread and turn it into a Bush Bashing anti war thread.
    Thanks a lot people...... >>

While your thread was hijacked, at least there is a continuing theme true to your purpose. I have a few rolls of buffalo's that I nic-a-dated back in the 70's. I hope they make good fodder for a coin drop!
  • Options
    Don't fret. This is a good thread because of the counterstamped post and not inspite of it. I happen to agree with much of what Cuprum posted. I wonder who's alt ID this is? I wish he/she had posted under their regular CU ID. Could it be HRH? Who knows.

I also recognize that progressives on these boards are the minority and that card-carrying RNC members are very much in the majority here, even though the current occupant has the lowest performance rating of any modern Prexy. I also know that opinions are like A$$holes in that everyone has one. Further I respect everyone's opion on these board, I just detest all the name calling that goes on when one expresses an opinion different from yours and yours too or mine.

I respect the fact that you are disturbed about the "hijacking" of this post. However, the person who posted the counterstamped Jeff did not opine one way or another. Those presumptions occurred after the image was posted. Those who followed only commented one way or another with many posts not bashing Bush but rather calling the poster of the CS Jeff a variety of ugly names.

If you are so offended about the supposed "Bush-bashing" then you have the power to kill this thread. As for me I agree with Cuprum with regards to the secondary topic of this thread. Further, I really agree with your OP and the intent of the coin drop. I think it's a terrific idea. I believe we are all free and able to express our opinions here. I aslo believe that the one thing that unites us on these boards is our love for the hobby and pursuit of numismatic acumen. I think that the uniting factor overwhelms the divisive and yet I welcome opinions and information on both. I think we are only kidding ourselves if we think that we can divorce our chosen hobby from politics. But I do think we can do without the name calling and pursue our endeavors with some decorum and behave with civility and maturity.

I am sorry that you feel your "simple thread" has turned so bad. I for one am glad for the diversity of opinion expressed on this thread and I believe that everyone agrees your coin-drop idea is a great pursuit. You have the power to kill this if you want. I personally hope that you don't.

<< <i>I start a simple thread about dropping some coins into circulation to get some kids excited about collecting. Then along come a bunch of people that completely corrupt my thread and turn it into a Bush Bashing anti war thread.
    Thanks a lot people...... >>

• Options

<< <i>Don't fret. This is a good thread because of the counterstamped post and not inspite of it. >>

>>

DieClash: Thanks for your post! You have restored my faith in humanity and the power of rational thought! I'm not using an alt identity. I have never posted to this board though I have posted on several others that have to do with coins, coin design, coinmaking, and coin collecting in some way. I was directed to this board and thread because of my lifelong interest in coin-dropping, a topic near and dear to my heart. On one of those other boards I posted under my real name and was rewarded by physical threats emanating from the same sort of reactionary right-wingers that also seem to infest this board. (and who were concealing THEIR identities behind monikers) I had somehow been under the impression that this was the United States and that we had a right of free speech free from intimidation. I also had the (apparently mistaken) idea that conservative and patriotic American's supported those foundations of Democracy. It is a sad state of affairs when it becomes necessary to conceal our identities behind avatars. It is a sign of where our country is headed when the ideals of people like Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, and Thomas Paine are crushed under the heels of those who claim to be patriotic Americans. "By their fruits you shall know them". So... I no longer post using my real name.

To all: Coin dropping is by nature a political action. Coins are like little political statements, reduced to an absolute minimum of text and with the image carrying power. When you do a coin-drop, understand that you are making a political statement. If you drop Lincoln pennies, then you are "saying" in your drop that you support the principles of Lincoln... national unity and political freedom. If you drop Kennedy halves you are saying that you support the principles of Kennedy... liberalism and inclusiveness. If you drop Jefferson nickles then you support the Jeffersonian principles of democracy, including the avoidance of war and the principles of free speech and public discourse. Those coins REPRESENT the principles of their images. Be aware of that and strive to live up to those transcendant principles even as you drop the coin.

Copper, mankind's oldest metal
  • Options
    DuPapaDuPapa Posts: 495 ✭✭
    However, the person who posted the counterstamped Jeff did not opine one way or another. Those presumptions occurred after the image was posted. Those who followed only commented one way or another with many posts not bashing Bush but rather calling the poster of the CS Jeff a variety of ugly names.
    image 110%

I’ll add, in a recent Indian Cent vs. Lincoln Cent post a member called Abe a “War Criminal” which drew only my lone reply.

Bush seems to be held in higher esteem than Lincoln. I find that fact puzzling to say the least.

I wonder what response this image would have received.

Editrd to add;D-Day Normandy June 6, 1944 6,603 Deaths is incorrect.

The U.S. Army Center of Military History in Washington, D.C., numbers 6,036 American casualties, including wounded and missing.

• Options
    *Poof*
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    bstat1020bstat1020 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭
    I am in for the coin drop. I will be dropping wheat pennies and Buffalos in northwest IL tomorrow. I had a bunch of clad kennedy halves that I would throw into my neighbors driveaway every once in a while. He has a 4 year old and a 3 year old. It was fun hearing the story about the "big nickels" they found in their driveway.

No Comment on the other issue.
  • Options
    Double Plus Ungood

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file