Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Capped Bust of a Different Sort.....

I just thought how interesting it is that designs from coins ended up being used on other everyday items. This flask dates from approximately the same time period (1830-1840) and the design was clearly taken from the Capped Bust coins of the time. It's one of about 15 different historical flasks in my collection, hence my username "Bottleguy".

Rick

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that is AWESOME! Do you know the story behind it (who made it, where it came from, etc.)?
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    TO me it resembles the Half-Dime design, and I am not a biased CBHD collector.

BTW- Very cool piece.
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    that is AWESOME!

What a cool piece! I love it. I, too, would be interested to learn more about the piece, its maker, etc..
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    This particular variety (designated a GI-121, yes... historical flasks have numerical designations, much like coins) was blown at an unknown glasshouse. Some of the major glass producers of the time were Louisville Glassworks, Kentucky; Coventry Glassworks, Conn.; Kensington Glassworks, Philidelphia; Stoddard Glass in New Hampshire; Keene-Marlboro-Street Glassworks in Keene, NH, and, Zanesville Glass Manufactory in Zanesville, Ohio. This particular flask resembles others blown at Zanesville, but it can't be attributed to there for sure.

Historical flasks were sort of like our modern day "growlers". Most spirits and/or medicines of the early 1800s were not sold in individual packaging like today. Spirits were sold at taverns, and medicines were dispensed at apothecary shops. In order to purchase these items "to go" you had to bring your own container. Generally, that is what these flasks were believed to have been used for.

Rick

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoa, way cool numismatic related item!

What does something like that go for?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting... Thanks, Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>What does something like that go for? >>

This particular flask is listed as "comparatively scarce" which means there are only 75-150 specimens known (as of 1978). If you can find one, expect to pay $300-$400 in perfect condition (no chips, dings, cracks, staining, etc.).

Quite a bit less than any 1830s-1840s coin with only 150 known specimens..................... wouldn't ya' think?? Unfortunately, antique bottles don't carry the "rarity" value of most coinage......

Rick
  • Options
    Where's the cap to the flask????

To me, that's an UNCAPPED Capped Bust.......

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bottleguy
    Thank's for showing that flask,very interesting.

Al

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file