Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How's your Detailed Star Rating on eBay?

UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
About 100 ratings and I'm at:
I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.

Comments

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About the same for me...some people just won't give 5's...
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,567 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are nice, I think!

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

and I usually lose money on shipping when everything is added up plus I ship the same day or the day after when payment is received. 4.9 and 4.9 equals hogwash. Really its no big deal at all though.

EDIT: Because there was too many 5's....image

Ken
  • Options
    21Walker21Walker Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭
    Same here.........and I just had my first sale since they started this stuff.........Rick
    If don't look like UNC, it probrably isn't UNC.....U.S. Coast Guard. Chief Petty Officer (Retired) (1970-1990)

EBAY Items
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrlamir
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

Go figure on the last one. I either made the shipping free, the exact cost (less insurance), or right about the cost to send priority iwth confirmation. And they all went out (well packed) the same or next day upon receipt of funds, even personal checks. I know at least one buyer who got free shipping (and ripped the coin well below cost) failed to give me a 5.0 on the shipping.

However, that would be the last of the four I would be worried about. Anyone can read the detailed feedback and judge the shipping charge on a lot they consider anyway.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    57 rating with

I almost always give free shipping or lose money n shjipping too.

Joe
  • Options

45 ratings

Some just won't give a 5....one 4 can really lower it.
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I lose money on shipping too. I also ship same day 90% of the time. And still get dinged for it.
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    601 ratings since they started the new system
    I honestly don't lose money on shipping.

--jerry
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I lose money on shipping too. I also ship same day 90% of the time. And still get dinged for it. >>

So quit losing money on shipping. I think it is a good idea to ship same day. --Jerry
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    55 Ratings

I usually don't have the time to ship more than two to three times a week so I can live with the 4.8.......shipping charges are very reasonable and I package well so....4.7 image
  • Options
    Item as described 151
    Communication 149
    Shipping time 150
    Shipping and handling charges 150

out of 151
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    39 ratings last month

4.9 ~ Buyer bought & purchased 2 items overnite & paid shipping on each without question on combined shipping. I expected this.
  • Options

And I loose money on shipping almost every time.
  • Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    211 ratings,
    Just shows you can't please everyone.

1004 Positive ratings 0 Negs 0 Neutrals 1 Neutral withdrawn, buyer gave it to the wrong seller.
    On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭
    278 Ratings since the new system started.

Under this system just a couple of unreasonable buyers can really drop your rating.
  • Options

<< <i>4.9

Russ, NCNE >>

Hard to believe you don't have a 5 on description since 99.9999999999999999999999999999% of your stuff is graded and you even point out coins that are overgraded?

Also, I bet if you offered free shipping and hand delivery of each item the next day with a bonus of tea and crumpets in the afternoon, people would still not give you a 5 on shipping charges.

Mine is about

Communications...I can't communicate any harder than I do now. I probably send 3 emails per sale and one after they have received an item to make sure everything is hunkydory.

People suck.

• Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    The system is not designed for perfect 5's over time. It's designed to ease the blow of a prefect FB getting a neg, and it works well IMO. I'm .9.9.9.8 I ship next day so it goes to show some people are never happy. How many give 5's all the time?
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    with 24

I don't completely understand why people get upset with shipping. It cost money for the packaging, too.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    The other part about shipping that gets me--everyone states it in their ads anyway, if it is too much, don't bid.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Crazy4CoinsCrazy4Coins Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭
    Only 20 ratings so far:

Looking at everyones ratings it seems buyers think shipping should be free or something......and I respond to every question no matter how stupid. Didn't know so many people need they hands held through such a simple process: bid, pay, receive.
  • Options
    I have over 251 since they started.

Really, How many pay attention to this when buying? Why not a buyers rating?

• Options
    Item as described 296 (4.9)
    Communication 297 (4.9)
    Dispatch time 298 (4.9)
    Postage and packaging charges 296 (4.8)
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've only got about 20 ratings.

• Options
    With 25 ratings...

The 4.5 came from one unhappy 'winner' ... he won a common Modern coin that fell under the radar... ended up selling for under $10. He emailed me after the auction to ask me to send it without insurance since it was such a 'cheap' coin. I politely declined... all my coins go with insurance and either DC or SC... based on all the good advice I have seen on this forum.

...he gave me a Positive FB... but there was a sudden decrease in my star rating... it had been 4.9... so he must have given me a 1... oh well...
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>About the same for me...some people just won't give 5's... >>

Just remember that non-paying biders get to vote too.
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    100% positive

437 unique transactions

Ive been selling on ebay since they started, but as for star ratings,

they say I do not have enough sales to be ratedimage

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MIne is 4.9 for item as described, and communication, but only 4.8 for shipping time, but I beleive its becuase I didnt take pay-pal until Oct 1 and didnt ship item until the payment came in(and many folks are late at sending out payment via mail), and I think this is why I got a reduced rating amount here. The shipping charge is also 4.8 which is BS, becuase hardly ever do I make any money on shipping. In many cases, I underestimate it by 5-10%, especially on larger items, or silver dollar lot deals.

jim
  • Options

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    192 ratings:

I have no idea why they are so low. I think I offer 5.0 all around. I charge $0.25 for handeling and shipping is my cost. I wrap every single item I sell in tissue paper, then bubble wrap, then put in peanuts if necessary... All of my auctions have pictures of the exact item up for bid, I ship all my items within 1 business day, and email winning bidders the hour they win their auctions... I guess I will never win. I think one person got pissed because they paid 800 for a first spouse coin, it dropped in price, and they wanted to get back at me. I think eBay should have the people that leave less than 5 describe why, so we can improve....
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    4.8 from the Russian judge

Since everyone is interpreting or commenting on their ratings, here's mine:
    "Whatever."
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭
    19 sales.....

And I charge $1.65 for shipping and USPO insurance rates......you're right that you can't please veryone!
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    I'm somewhere between 4.7 and 4.9 on them all. Who cares though, no one pays attention to star ratings.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭

If you charge what the Post Office charges for shipping, you wouldn't get a 5.

I guess you have to change the name of shipping charge to buyer's fee.

Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anything over $450 .. s/h/i is free. Perhaps I should pay the winner shi fees image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file