Home U.S. Coin Forum

Jefferson Spouse coins came today - what to do?

Send them sight unseen to PCGS for slabbing with First Strike?

Or, would I be better off inspecting first to see if they have a shot at a 70 but foregoing the FS designation?

Put another way, does the First Strike Designation have much impact on value?

Comments

• I had to look at mine. Glad I did, two may be 69's, two might make 61. Better safe than sorry.
  • Just kick back and wait.
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I have never purchased directly from the US Mint. Have seen a fair share of collector criticism re lax QC at the mint though.

If these are bagged up, I will be very disappointed.
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    All depends, are you going to keep them or flip them. They are fantastic coins to look at and are keepers for me.

<< <i>Just kick back and wait. >>

Keep em in the box?
  • 23Pairer23Pairer Posts: 911 ✭✭✭
    I quote PCGS Website:

"First Strike 2007 Cut-Off Dates:

First Strike designation is available for an additional $10/coin on the coins listed below that are sent in before the cut-off, or are sent in sealed mint boxes dated before the cut-off. Please submit First Strike coins on separate submissions from other coins.

Coin Cut-Off
    MS Gold Eagle Jan 31st
    MS Silver Eagle Jan 31st
    MS Platinum Eagle Jan 31st
    MS-W Gold Eagle May 26th
    MS-W Silver Eagle Jul 13th
    MS-W Platinum Eagle Aug 17th
    PR Gold Eagle Mar 9th
    PR Silver Eagle April 26th
    PR Platinum Eagle Aug 17th
    MS Gold Buffalo Mar 28th
    PR Gold Buffalo Jun 27th
    MS/PR First Spouse Gold Coins (Washington/Adams) Jul 20th

MS/PR First Spouse Gold (Jefferson's Liberty) Oct 19th

MS/PR First Spouse Gold (Madison) TBD
    PR Presidential $1 Sets Jul 21st

When submitting before the First Strike cut-off, please only send the coins in their acrylic capsules. After the First Strike cut-off, coins must be sent in un-opened, sealed mint boxes dated before the cut-off. All customers who request the return of original packaging are required to pay an additional $2/box return shipping charge. "

• CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    If they just came today, they are not eligible for 1st strike.
  • take em out of the box and inspect them.

be sure they didn't dend you someone elses dogs.
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

<< <i>If they just came today, they are not eligible for 1st strike. >>

The boxes show a Ship date of 10/08/07. As I understand it, they are FS eligible if sent in the box. But does FS matter much?
    They should have been sent overnight based on value, did you recently order anything else?
  • bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    to be pragmatic. I would definitely look at them.. you got them very late. Odds are they are most likely 69's, even if they are not returns..... if they are returns no chance of a 70 .

69's are worth less than raw. So why pay more for a statiscally bad bet? As a pure money play your best bet is keeping them sealed, but that's not much fun.
  • Sorry, don't know what you mean by "keep 'em in the box."

How much room do you have in your safe? Just keep silver and gold in a safe? Keep boxes/clad stuff/widgets in old suitcases under your bed?
    Thanks, all. I think I will open one. I wish I could tell which is the PR and which is the MS. Am at work sans loupe so I won't be able to offer much of an opinion until tonight, unless there are obvious blems!
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Send them sight unseen to PCGS for slabbing with First Strike?

Or, would I be better off inspecting first to see if they have a shot at a 70 but foregoing the FS designation?

Put another way, does the First Strike Designation have much impact on value? >>

Depends.....I had a MS70 (no 1st strike designation) go for $770 while another forum member had a 1st strike MS70, with truview, go for $780.
    Since 1st strike costs $10 per coin, I feel like we evened out.

So, in some instances, yes, it does get more value, in others, no.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks, all. I think I will open one. I wish I could tell which is the PR and which is the MS. Am at work sans loupe so I won't be able to offer much of an opinion until tonight, unless there are obvious blems! >>

You can tell. The packaging should have a number on it (order number, whatnot) if they are in different packages.
    If they are in the same box (ie...you got 1 box with both in it) then once you open that box, they are both "opened" and not eligible for 1st strike.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Anybody who pays more because a slab says "First Strike" on it is a moron.

• << <i>Thanks, I have never purchased directly from the US Mint. Have seen a fair share of collector criticism re lax QC at the mint though.

If these are bagged up, I will be very disappointed. >>

You won't be very happy if they are the ones I sent back. The MS was weakly struck and the proof had a scratch in the field!
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can look at your order on the mint web to see wich is the PR or MS if you need to. image

Hoard the keys.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anybody who pays more because a slab says "First Strike" on it is a moron. >>

Until it's time to sell & then you are a "rocket scientist."
    As a whole, I'm sure there are exceptions, but if you take a look at the closed auctions for the First Spouse & ASE, AGE & APE series, you'll notice FS will demand a premium. In some cases (ASE's) a substantial one over non first strike. That's just the way it is, eventhough it's the same coin. Modern collectors like the label.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • As irrational as first strike may seem to many, in general, if you plan to sell the coins on eBay, you will net more the large majority of the time with a first strike designation. You may or may not, net even more leaving a first strike eligible coin in the unopened mint shipping container.

How well you do is often a matter of marketing, timing and luck.

The Buy/Sell/Trade Forum is very often the best place to sell items such as spouse gold. eBay and PayPal fees together with the time to list one's items are big negatives compared to the Buy/Sell/Trade alternative. If your item doen't sell on the forum you have essentially lost very little and the eBay alternative can still be exercised.

I'm still wondering why shipped 10/8 and received 10/29 would be for a gold product which is supposed to ship overnight upgrade for free. If Jeff 1st spouse ship date should be 10/28???
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm still wondering why shipped 10/8 and received 10/29 would be for a gold product which is supposed to ship overnight upgrade for free. If Jeff 1st spouse ship date should be 10/28??? >>

If it shipped to a PO box it goes registred mail. Has to be signed for at every step of the way and it gets put into a cage where it might miss a few legs.
    So, I opened the proof box at lunch. Since no loupe here at the office, all I can say is the coin looks great. DCAM and probably a 69 or a 70.

A keeper!
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If they just came today, they are not eligible for 1st strike. >>

The boxes show a Ship date of 10/08/07. As I understand it, they are FS eligible if sent in the box. But does FS matter much? >>

they took that long to get to you?

holy smokesimage

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file