Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are there any "great finds" anymore?

I remember years ago when I was dealing in sportscards and memorabilia when you could find great collections and actually get a good deal. Does that happen with coins now days? With most people knowing what a "price guide" is do you find people asking for above and beyond the value of coins? I recently offered a man 8 times face for common circulated Washington quarters and he said "nope I see them going for 5.00-6.00 each on Ebay." These were from the 60s. I was just going to throw them in the safe for my daughter. Maybe my price is too low.
References: Multiple deals with cohodk. Also PQPeace, LordMarcoVan,

Comments

• Options
    "Are there any "great finds" anymore?"

I sure havent found any lately........image

Alan

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I remember years ago when I was dealing in sportscards and memorabilia when you could find great collections and actually get a good deal. Does that happen with coins now days? With most people knowing what a "price guide" is do you find people asking for above and beyond the value of coins? I recently offered a man 8 times face for common circulated Washington quarters and he said "nope I see them going for 5.00-6.00 each on Ebay." These were from the 60s. I was just going to throw them in the safe for my daughter. Maybe my price is too low. >>

Someone just found a 1c DDO 1969s Lincoln recently from a roll. That was a great find!!!
  • Options
    21Walker21Walker Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭
    Yep, Bought a group of 3 Franklins on ebay. Nothing special a 62, 62D & 63D listed as BU. Pic sucked, but I was looking to fill 3 holes in a 3rd set. When I got them, the 62 was BU w/ FBL's. I sent the 62 in & and it came back 65FBL..........cost for the 3 coins? $13.79. PCGS 1962 MS65FBL $2000, look on my face when PCGS posted the grade.........Priceless..........Rick
    If don't look like UNC, it probrably isn't UNC.....U.S. Coast Guard. Chief Petty Officer (Retired) (1970-1990)

EBAY Items
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrlamir
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yep, Bought a group of 3 Franklins on ebay. Nothing special a 62, 62D & 63D listed as BU. Pic sucked, but I was looking to fill 3 holes in a 3rd set. When I got them, the 62 was BU w/ FBL's. I sent the 62 in & and it came back 65FBL..........cost for the 3 coins? $13.79. PCGS 1962 MS65FBL $2000, look on my face when PCGS posted the grade.........Priceless..........Rick >>

Sweet!!!!!!
  • Options
    Nice find Rick!
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, keep looking. I bought 2- $5 gold, 1907D and 1898 both Au and 70 silver washington quarters, 4
    silver nickels and one V nickel yesterday for $303. Think I did ok, not great but I'll make out if I sell the
    gold ASAP before it drops!

Picked up 29 morgans (10 from the 1800's and the rest 1921's) and two peace all EF/Au along with a bunch of
    other silver including 3 1915-s barbers, 30 washies, 10 mercs/roosies and $35 in old paper silver certs (ones and 5's)
    for $427 on Sunday.

The folks are out there and both of these folks did not want to deal with a dealer and just wanted somebody
    that will collect and like their coins. Dealers require that they bring them to their shop....I go to their home!

You will now ask where I come up with these collections. Well, I will tell you it is about being visible. I have a
    business card made up (looks hokey) that says I' collect US coins and collections with my home number on it
    and I pass it out very frequently. I use word of mouth every chance I get. In my office at work I have a silver
    dollar in a lucite holder displayed and lots of coin books and magazines. When someone picks one up I open
    my big mouth and ask them if they collect coins. That's how I do it. Others have different teniques but this
    works for me very well.

I've been doing this for the past 20 years or more with great success. Mostly I find common coins and paper.
    Occasionally I find treasures like the 1893-s morgan I had pcgs grade at VF20, 1905-s $5 gold I had pcgs grade
    at MS65, 1894 morgan at AU, 1929 $20 National Note (NY) that I just sold on the currency bst at $450. These
    I have acquired all in the past year.

Be patient and let everyone know you collect!

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great finds, like gold, is where you find them. You must be constantly searching, have a web of contacts, and a bit of luck will help.
    Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a fine line between a "great find" and a "rip"

You will find that many on this board feel negatively about those who would take advantage of their superior knowledge to seriously underpay an unsophisticated coin owner for their items. This is commonly called a "rip"

OTOH, if I go into a coin shop and find a coin with a price on it, and I use my superior knowledge of, say, die varieties to buy it and make money by accurately attributing it... That is "cherrypicking" - could be a "good find" or even a "great find". I maybe even post it here and get a "YOU SUCK" out of it.

See the difference?
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Brothers, I found enough money to buy a proof IHC from Rick Snow today. I'd call that a "great find". image
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    I've always offered a fair price and still get turned down. The frustrating part is 2 weeks later you see them in a pawn shop selling them for next to nothing.
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    There are still great finds and probably just as many nice coins that are not in the pops list as are.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    One of the reasons there is a regularity, if you will, to rare and collectable US coins valuation (by and large) is that the door to fresh material is not really less than 50% of the final sell price, less varieties or grade nudging and the like because people know that old coins are in demand and are typically stores of VALUE. If you want a piece of 60's Italian art glass by such and such a designer, those pop up at thrift stores and travel thru many hands regularly. Granny isn't going to know that. I milk that cow on a regular basis.
    I'm still looking for that undisturbed BU 1913-s quarter in my basement.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few days ago someone found a 1969-S DDO in an original roll of cents. I would consider that a "great find".

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes... its just that it might be defined alittle different than it was 30 years ago...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    gw smoothies....................image
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, there is for sure neat stuff around if you poke under enough rocks.

I came up with some terrific coins in the last year and spent very little doing it. In fact I think it paid me a few bucks.

Lots of folks put together uncirculated album sets of currently circulating series in the 50's and 60's -- Jeffersons, Washingtons, Frankies, Roosies, and the like -- and you can have a very wonderful time if you buy such sets, pull the handful of best gem and/or fully struck coins, fabulous toners, etc., and sell the rest. It's one way to build really superior sets over time without spending an arm and a leg. I found full-step 49-S and 50(p) nickels this way ... gems of most Washington dates 1947 forward ... there's lots out there.

mirabela
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found 6-1955-D that look like this. imageimage

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    I just recently found a really nice looking XF Seated Dollar in a small little accumulation that figured to have very little value at first appearance.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    Absolutly!
    What AUandAG said, " Be patient and let everyone know you collect"!

If you collect it, they will come !
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The deals are out there.....you just have to work for them. Connections help.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Absolutly!
    What AUandAG said, " Be patient and let everyone know you collect"!

If you collect it, they will come !
    image >>

Not sure if it's wise to let everyone know that you're a coin collector. You may get some unwanted visitors when you aren't at home or possibly when you and your family are at home.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    "great finds" of course,

I thought this was a great find, thanks to the Mad one.

Herb

Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I have found looking for vam dollars in slabs is a good way to get a good deal because most people wont pay vam prices if it's not on the slab. I bought a 1934d peace NCG VF20 small d that was inturn a vam-4. I paid $82 shipped. I'm happy with that one, as well as a 1921 peace VAM-3 NGC 64 $780 something and a 1925 peace MS65 VAM5 for $300
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure if it's wise to let everyone know that you're a coin collector. You may get some unwanted visitors when you aren't at home or possibly when you and your family are at home. >>

PH...got to do it my way. See how many folks beat a path to your door if you don't tell 'em what you do! I won't go through life missing out on all it's great pleasures
    just because I MIGHT have something happen to me. As for putting my family in jeopardy it's just my wife and myself, kids are all grown. My wife and I do the coins
    as a team and she goes with me on all coin purchases. As for at home, well I've got one heavy, sturdy safe, a BIG dog and if they happen to come through the door
    when I'm home I'd hate to shoot some poor idiot but I would. If you have kids, no dogs and no guns then by all means let me do it.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would agree that the purchase of a few coins from locals is not worth the risk of giving up your security and privacy. I've never been able to go to someone's home and walk out with anything priced fairly. Last time I tried I was offered silver dollars at 2X the going rate. The guy was trying to make up for his losses since 1980! He wasn't selling until he got 1980 prices! Ok...thanks for you time mister.

The odds of finding something in your dealer's store is far greater than at a local home. Ripping off your local dealer (ie a pro) who doesn't know what he's doing is one thing (he sets the price). But taking advantage of the public (ie getting a "good" deal) is taboo imo. The flip side though is if you offer fair value to the public (say 75-90% of its true value)....you more than likely will never get it.
    All you've done is alert them to the real value. Same thing happened at a local shop when a Bechtler gold piece walked in.
    Once it came back from PCGS and the owner was told it was a $20,000 coin, no word was ever heard again from him. And of course the shop paid all the express grading fees and never saw a cent on the deal. Would have been easier to buy the Bechtler at
    $250 than at $20,000. You're screwed either way in the end. And I have no answer for you!

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file