Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Looks like Jefferson Missing Edge lettering has become a reality

I've hear rumors that several hundred up to 1000 have been found. Looks like they've made their way to PCGS as they have added the Jefferson Missing Edge lettering to the registry set. They don't do that until they've graded some large number of them. Anybody know what that number is? Anybody seen any in the shared listings?

This is good news for those trying to put together a complete missing edge lettering set.

--jerry

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jerry - I have heard from a good source (at least a source that has been relaible for me in the past) that the grading services (one or more) have upwards of as many as 500+ combined pieces already which it/they will be grading. And, it appears, PCGS has already entered them in the Registry sets - in both First Day and non-First Day sets (in the past PCGS needed to have graded at least -5- coins in each set before a coin became registry required as far as I know that rule to go). But, until the grading service(s) actually report the exact number of coins it/they have graded, I can not confirm or deny the estimated number of coins found thus far.

So, let the search continue for the remaining ???? yet unfound Jeff MEL coins out there. The only question in my mind today is whether the Adams MEL will end up with a fewer # of coins known than Jefferson MEL or vice versa? Hard for me to determine at this point.

Anyone else have any information on these MEL Jeffersons?

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only question i have is "where" these are being found....what region?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    The buyer of the current Ebay auction won't be happy.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    Jerry - As you know, Jefferson Dollars can easily come MS67 quality even with the added step of lettering the rim. I think PCGS has already graded 1,500-2,000 MS67 coins.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The buyer of the current Ebay auction won't be happy. >>

He's screwed, blued and tatooed, so to speak!!! Bet the sale is never completed.
  • Options
    I saw that it said Denver, wonder if it states that on the slab...............
  • Options
    CgbCgb Posts: 710

<< <i>It's only a 65 fir ////44K image >>

Even at MS65 it looks like crap...
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The buyer of the current Ebay auction won't be happy. >>

He's screwed, blued and tatooed, so to speak!!! Bet the sale is never completed. >>

Hope not. I sent the seller a note asking if he was just going to let the auction end knowing that there are many more than his auction/article implies. No reply. Maybe the $4k bid is "scumnuker!!"
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I saw that it said Denver, wonder if it states that on the slab............... >>

Hey, yeah! What's up with no slab pictures? Sounds like an ebay violation image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>It's only a 65 fir ////44K image >>

Sorry, trying to type and talk on the phone at the same time. got word from another source verifying that there are many of these at PCGS. It should say "It's only a 65 for $4k!!!"
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    That coin is ugly.

I heard also that there are more rimless coming from two different sources.
  • Options
    Closed at $4050. The winner is a customer of mine. image --Jerry
  • Options
    Well, I was right he is not happy.
    San Diego, CA

• Options

<< <i>Well, I was right he is not happy. >>

Seems happy to me--happy to know the truth. --Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Well, I was right he is not happy. >>

Seems happy to me--happy to know the truth. --Jerry >>

I still would not classify that as happy.image
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    Anyone that would spend that much money on a coin without knowing it's true rarirty has more money than brains.
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Options

<< <i>Anyone that would spend that much money on a coin without knowing it's true rarirty has more money than brains. >>

Not necessarily. In this case we've gone months before any smoothies were found. he had an article by a guy who calls himself and expert and NN apparently believes enough to put him on the front page saying it was a unique coin. If it indeed had remained unique or top pop, it would be a 5 digit coin.

I'll remind you guys: I sold the first GW67 on ebay. It went for $630. We all thought more would be coming. Many a comment was made here about how crazy the buyer was. When more didn't get graded 67, my buyer flipped it for $3900. Now it's a $6-7k coin. --jerry
  • Options
    I think I get better odds on a gamble in Vegas.

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i just cannot get excited over this stuff. thanks for sharing tho.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I thought I read it somewhere that around 1,000 were found in michigan and were off for grading, coinworld maybe? I think it was in the same article as the report of 1 found...
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    For those of us with missing brains,

that's why we follow the news on this

FORUM.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,478 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm about to give up on the Presidential series as they have gotten too complex too soon into the series and all the coins are way too expensive! $600-$800 for a MS64-65 missing edge lettered Adams is fairly pricey for a modern set especially since the true numbers for these coins could go up significantly with each box that is opened!

And now the Jeffeson?

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    The sets are due to change soon.
    Variety sets will have a Major Variety & Complete Variety Set.
    Of course the usual First Day Issue Versions of the Major and Complete variety set as well.

Easiest sets are going to be the basic sets without varieties.

It is getting crazy...And I am following it very closely.
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Well, it appears that Michigan got lucky with both the Adams and Jefferson errors. Perhaps I'll get lucky again here in NE Florida!! =)
  • Options
    Funny story - a few weeks ago, I was contacted by someone and offered that "unique" Jefferson rimless for $30,000.00!! I am not even sure the owner of the coin knew about the offer to me (he probably didn't) - it may have been someone who thought he could get it from the owner and "flip it" to me. I learned long ago, if the is one cocakroach (sp. for board filters) in the kitchen there are nearly always tons more - i.e. I highly doubted the coin was unique. So, I passed on the offer. But, the offer made me interested in investigating the situation concerning these coins and, hence, how I discovered information suggesting the POSSIBLE additional coins out there I alluded to in my first posting. I also learned today that Coin World ran a story on these Jefferson Dollars (coming out in the next edition) which has possibly some confusing information concerning the amount of coins known (when you read the story, you can draw your own conclusions - I only heard about the story at this point).

Wondercoin
  • Options
    I think all it would take for that coin to lose value is a couple to come back certified MS 66 or 67. After that happened, a MS65 would not be the one people willing to pay that kind of money for it would want.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That coin is ugly.

I heard also that there are more rimless coming from two different sources. >>

The seller also has this SMOOTH EDGE for only $24.95.

Rare S M Q Q T H edge

So if you missed out... Jump on this one image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i just cannot get excited over this stuff. thanks for sharing tho. >>

See my previous post for your excitement image
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    it would be great as a subset to the FSpouse series ....the President's mistesses

don't need my coffee this morning!image
  • Options
    By the way, I did receive a thoughtful email this morning from Ken Potter, the seller of that coin on ebay. In short, he is not aware of any hoards of the MEL Jeffs out there and, as such, believed to be offering his specimen on ebay in good faith.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    The October 29th Coin World article reported a hoard of several hundred MEL Thomas Jeffferson dollars has been purchased by Fred Weinberg:

<< <i>Weinberg disclosed only that the hoard represents "several hundred" Jefferson, Plain Edge dollars obtained from a source in the Midwest. He did not specify the exact location of the hoard or the exact number of coins it contained. >>

• Options
    FLA - Jefferson Dollar varieities include the MEL coin as well as light lettering and partial missing edge lettering specimens. I believe it may not be 100% clear from the Coin World article just how many errors Fred obtained in each category - in fact, I was told (I did not read the article) Fred commented that he had not inspected the entire find. So, while I stand by my original comment to this thread (and the CW article certainly seems to lend support to my comments), the jury is still out on exactly how many specimens have been discovered of each type of error.

But, as my investigation continues this weekend, I am informed and believe MANY coins have already been graded by the service(s) - and as I mentioned earlier, these coins come very nice. Expect many MEL Jeffersons to grade MS66, MS67 and even a possible MS68 or two and expect to hear about them soon!!

Let's see if my information turns out as good as NN or CW information

Wondercoin
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

I read the description of the auction and all I see is a claim that it's the Discovery Coin. If it is Not the Discovery Coin, then there might be an issue, otherwise I don't see anything misleading. It doesn't say it is the one and only example.

If the bidder paid to much, thems the breaks, you takes your chances.

• Options
    Just think, the buyer could have bought a lifetime subscription to Coin World, Numismatic News and the ANA with the money he spent on that coin and probably have enough money left over to pay what that coin is really worth image

• Options
    As of 10/21/07
    PCGS Pop Report is this
    on the Rimless Jefferson PCGS # 390499

1/64
    125/65
    132/66
    42/67
    1/68

Total Graded 301

.... Guess that bid last night for $ 4050.00 for that MS65 one on eBay was a tad high.
    Here is the link to the closed eBay auction.
    CLick here to see the $ 4050 Dollar Jefferson Smoothie..

The News is the FIRST MS68 Graded Presidential Dollar - Business Strike is a Jefferson Rimless.
    There will be more, they missed an entire process which makes marks on the coins.
  • Options
    Who could have thunk it? image

2 questions remain for me:

1. What % of the hoard actually went to PCGS and what % was "held back" for the time being (including related question of whether most of the highest quality pieces were in the original submission pile or the hold back pile)?

2. Original question - which will turn out scarcer - Adams MEL or Jeff MEL?

Wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>I read the description of the auction and all I see is a claim that it's the Discovery Coin. If it is Not the Discovery Coin, then there might be an issue, otherwise I don't see anything misleading. It doesn't say it is the one and only example. If the bidder paid to much, thems the breaks, you takes your chances. >>

As I read it, and the article, there is a clear implication, even if not stated, that this is a unique coin. But there is a no-questions-asked return policy. I'm sure the buyer will take advantage of it. --Jerry
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I replied to an email from the buyer of this
    Discovery Coin.

We don't know yet if the coin is pedigree'd
    by PCGS as "Discovery Coin", but I told him
    I thought that it shouldn't be a problem to
    have PCGS do so, with Ken Potter as the
    original submitter of the coin, etc.

At this time, none of my coins are available for sale.

Fred
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    The interesting question (to me at least) is not whether Ken owns the discovery coin (no doubt he does), but, rather what a MEL Jefferson graded 3 points under the top pop and one of 301 already in in the pop report (his coin plus a first submission of exactly -300- pieces) is worth? Should a "Discovery coin" (any Discovery coin) be worth 500%, 1000% or more of the typical price level for that grade? Or, perhaps just a 20% or 30% premium as the Cheerios Dollar discovery piece probably fetched? That is the interesting question to me in all this.

Board member thoughts?

Wondercoin
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    This doesn't bode well with the U.S. Mint. My guess is Congress just may eliminate the edge lettering process next year. It is obvious they can not control this error from happening. As far as the Adams going for around $600 its just way to high for me to even think about buying this coin. I surmised the lone Jefferson that was discovered last month would fetch $10,000. Guess I wasn't too far off. If it was a true rarity and only one or two Jefferson Missing Edge Lettering were all that surfaced than the $4000 would be in line but not now. As far as a discovery coin demanding more of a premium I would say tops at about 10-20% more depending on the rarity factor. Thats just a personal assessment, no data to back it up though.
  • Options
    The real problem with a"discovery Coin" in this case. Is that it did not stand alone very long. So what is it worth? Price of the label in difference.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up two rolls of Jefferson at my bank today along with two Monroe.These are obw rolls that came from Denver.

Best to leave them unopened? What do you guys think?

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,478 ✭✭✭✭
    Open them.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    There are hundreds of millions of these things minted, almost none circulating, buying an OBW roll shouldn't be a big deal anytime. I would open them and see if you have anything good.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    well well well

The worm has turned......

• Options
    Judging from my very first post on this thread (at that time there was one "known" coin being talked about in the trade papers, etc. if I recall correctly) - I guess my contacts proved strong and relaible! image

Wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>Judging from my very first post on this thread (at that time there was one "known" coin being talked about in the trade papers, etc. if I recall correctly) - I guess my contacts proved strong and relaible! image

Wondercoin >>

Good thread. I love the series, BUT I cant stand the freakish population of varieties and their resulting freak outs.

Oh well, at least I am not bored.

Appreciate the update.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are these really worth anywhere close to PCGS guide prices???? I just bought a Jefferson Dollar in PCGS MS65 w/ Missing Edge Lettering (in a very cool PCGS Edge View holder) for what would be a good deal if the $2850 price guide value is even close to reality. I don't collect these, way too modering for me, just thought it was too good of a deal to pass up. Anyone know what the pops are on this coin??? Thanks in advance for the info.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file