Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

BEWARE-GUARANTY BANK CASHIERS CHECKS

Sold an item on ebay. Received payment today. We specify payment in checks which we will hold, or cashiers checks. Received what appears to be a cashiers check ( will scan check after deleting certain information ) "Guaranty Bank""For your kind of life" . No address of the bank anywhere. So I searched online, found an actual bank, called their cust service number and was told "Sir, we cannot determine if the check you received is good or not".

I'm treating this as a suspect check. What say you?

Comments

• Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does it have a perforated edge?
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    No perforated edge. The buyer has 722 transactions on ebay with 100% feedback too. However, when the actual bank says they can't ( won't? ) verify the status of the check, that's enough as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    My bank - Charterone - issues their "official check" the same way, no address listed anywhere. I would still be very careful and allow time for it to clear. I also know several banks that have been mentioned up here will not verify if a check is good. I would say walk into the bank if it's local and try and cash it. otherwise wait and see if it clears.

Jim
    Life member of the SSDC
  • Options

<< <i>My bank - Charterone - issues their "official check" the same way, no address listed anywhere. I would still be very careful and allow time for it to clear. I also know several banks that have been mentioned up here will not verify if a check is good. I would say walk into the bank if it's local and try and cash it. otherwise wait and see if it clears.

Jim >>

Jim, it's definitey not local and 3rd tier.
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    If there is micro printing on it, it is likely a genuine bank check but it doesn't mean it's not stolen. HOWEVER, since the bank won't commit neither should you. Wait till it's paid.

Do a little research while you're waiting.

Verify the routing number

Fraudulent & counterfeit checks
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i feel bad for you. you go through so much trouble with people
    and their payments.

out of curiousity, what payment methods do you trust the most?
    this may help others like me who may plan to buy a high end coin.

thanks.
  • Options

<< <i>i feel bad for you. you go through so much trouble with people
    and their payments.

thanks. >>

Thanks FC, it's part of doing business. However, it's a whole new coin business with the internet. There's also completely new banking than what it's been for the past generation. It's making business more costly and subject to a LOT more scams than previously.

Bonafide Bank Checks are the fastest other than a wire transfer. But I think we still need to hold them until clearance is confirmed. So a wire is fastest. Before, we would only give wire instructions to people we were used to doing business with. NOw, complete strangers want wire instructions and as we've all found out, that leaves us open to all kinds of identity theft.

Some days I really miss some of the old days.image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is appropriate to hold the coin until such time you are satisfied that the funds are available and will clear without any problems...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You just don't have the luck lately when it comes to payments, do you?
    If the bank won't tell you, which is likely the story, you may want to go to YOUR bank and have a manager there call the other bank to verify funds.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Bochiman, that's of course what I'll do but we're finding the banks increasingly will not cooperate, even with other banks.

Here's the check

• Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    I had a Washington Mutual money order last month, for a gold coin, with no address, that was as good as gold.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options

<< <i>

thanks. >>

OK, how about

No good nowadays?

OK how about

• Options
    Tom, bring it to your bank and have them look at it. An experienced teller will know if it's genuine or not. They also may be able to find a phone number for the bank and speak to someone who has a clue.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least the ABA # is correct.

Link
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tom, does it have watermarks? Usually banks include them so as to deter copying. However, if it's a stolen check
    that would not make a difference. When you do call a bank on a check, as for Accounting. Tell them you have been
    presented a Cashiers check, number #### for $1,122 and will it clear. Trust me, if it's fake or has other probs you
    will get a quick response from an Accountant. You should always ask for accounting.

good luck,
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    I have an account at Guaranty Bank. As far as I know they only have
    branches in TX and CA. Customer service: 800 288 8822.

Jerry
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guaranty Bank
    PO Box 1807
    Cedar Rapids, IA 52406
    319-286-6200
    319-362-7894 fax
    H.M. Beeker, Chairman
  • Options
    This place is great image
  • Options

<< <i>Sold an item on ebay. Received payment today. We specify payment in checks which we will hold, or cashiers checks. Received what appears to be a cashiers check ( will scan check after deleting certain information ) "Guaranty Bank""For your kind of life" . No address of the bank anywhere. So I searched online, found an actual bank, called their cust service number and was told "Sir, we cannot determine if the check you received is good or not".

I'm treating this as a suspect check. What say you? >>

As an ex-banker I love these types of answers. My next response when I receive this boiler plate reply is "I am not asking you to determine if the check is good. I'm asking you if check #1205 was issued on October 15th 2007 to Tom Pilitowski and Associates for $1122. If you can tell me that I will be willing to make my own determination if the check is good or not."

If the bank still won't help me, I explain that I am going to return the check to their customer, explaining that the lending institution they have chosen to do business with refuses to verify and cross reference any information on the cashiers checks they issue. I have never had a problem past this point.

Banks are interested in customer retention and almost always work with you. It is the word "good" that raises red flags at a bank. A bank can't tell if it a cashier check is "good" until they see it and cross reference it themselves. That is often why some banks initially break out into a "soft shoe" or "shut you down" at that question.

If I still could not get information at that point I would not hesitate to send the check back and relist the coin.

Good luck
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

• Options

<< <i>i feel bad for you. you go through so much trouble with people
    and their payments.

thanks. >>

Cash, Paypal and checks from banks that I can verify funds/information.
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

• Options

<< <i>Guaranty Bank
    PO Box 1807
    Cedar Rapids, IA 52406
    319-286-6200
    319-362-7894 fax
    H.M. Beeker, Chairman >>

I guess there are two of them. Maybe 3?

Jerry
  • Options
    The buyer has replied to me and he seems like stand up guy. Gave me the local numbers for the branch and I'll proceed more liberally at this point but believe me, this check situation is just starting in this business.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Guaranty Bank
    PO Box 1807
    Cedar Rapids, IA 52406
    319-286-6200
    319-362-7894 fax
    H.M. Beeker, Chairman >>

I guess there are two of them. Maybe 3?

Jerry >>

Yeah, but the logo and tagline matched on the one in Iowa.
  • Options
    Had the exact same issue with a Guaranty Bank money order - no address or telephone number. Mine was only about a tenth the value of your's though. Contacted the buyer and told him I had concerns. He had 100+ eBay purchases and 100% positive feedbank. He gave the branch location (St. Louis I recall) and the telphone numbers. I googled it anyway, got the same info. Called the bank and they verified account number, name and amount. You'd think they would make their money orders a little more unique but they probably save money? image
    Spare your best friend's life!! Adopt an adult dog at your local "kill" animal shelter. You will be changed.
  • Options
    plansimplansim Posts: 185 ✭✭
    If your bank accepts it, make sure you wait a while before sending out the coins.

Sometimes it takes a few days for a bank to find out that a "real-gud" counterfeit check is bad.

Ask your bank how long it will take before they consider the check to be legit.

Don't sign the check. That makes you responsible for it. Just deposit it into your account. If you insist on not signing it, they must honor your wish (although this might depend on state law)
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banks have funny rules. They charge me to keep my money. Then they charge me if someone else writes me a bad check for my money. Then they charge me for the statement they print to show me how they charged me for someone else screwing me out of my money. At the end of the month, they still got all the money.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tom,

I had one of those, with no bank info or nothing. I called and was told the same thing. I ended up holding as a standard check, customer wasnt too happy, but it turned out to be a good one.
    Jim d
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    I bank with Gauranty Bank, and have drawn several cashier's checks. The "real deal" cashier's check does NOT look like that one. My bank is HQ in Dallas, but has branches in CA. The bank name looks like the one in their website:

Linky

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options

<< <i>I bank with Gauranty Bank, and have drawn several cashier's checks. The "real deal" cashier's check does NOT look like that one. My bank is HQ in Dallas, but has branches in CA. The bank name looks like the one in their website:

Linky >>

It's a different bank. Here is Guaranty Bank and Trust.

Keys: Logo and tagline.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file