Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What a month on eEbay!

For the first time ever I lost a ton with my eBay sales. I sold a 1909 S VDB VF (with problems) for $250, an 1822 Bust half for $9.99, and 1884 S dime (trends for $300) in an old ANACS holder for $99.

I seems there are just not as many buyers.

Anyone notice this? And you don't need to look at what I have for sale, nothing new in auctions
I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.

Comments

• Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I currently have some nice classic MS coins up on EBay (including an Eliasberg pedigree) and the're doing well. The moderns (MS67 war cents) have a lot of watchers no no decent bids yet. Hopefully the snipers will fix that.
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    Barry your NC is doing really too well. I wanted to buy it. That is a case when plastic really has value!

Gave you some bumps, why not list the 73 cc dime, start it a $1??

• Options
    I would have to say this month has been slowest of the year for me, but then Septembers are not ussually great for me anyway. Looking forward to October.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Barry your NC is doing really too well. I wanted to buy it. That is a case when plastic really has value!

Gave you some bumps, why not list the 73 cc dime, start it a $1?? >>

I expect the Eliasberg nickel will go for 50-100% over non-pedigree value. That's what these non-rare coins usually do.

I think we need some new Seated Dime collectors to join the ranks before I relist the 73-CC. I don't mind holding onto it.
  • Options
    I've had a great month.....and even took a week off........

AL
  • Options
    stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    I seen it going both ways. I bought a very nice unc 1909 VDB (maybe 64RB) for $18. I've seen several nice trade dollars go for moon money like this one link.
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭
    I agree... Sales have looked horrible (for sellers). But its a great buyers market. I only sold one problem set of ASE's since things have looked slow. I've picked up some terrific bargins though. Sniping everything in sight.
    I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slabbed gold has been relatively strong. Only been able to buy 2 pieces in 3 weeks. But there is so much of it now hitting you can probably pick off a piece or two under market.

Type coins in choice or gem grades are basically not showing up.
    The few that do, are not buyable. At least I haven't seen any.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree... Sales have looked horrible (for sellers). But its a great buyers market. I only sold one problem set of ASE's since things have looked slow. I've picked up some terrific bargins though. Sniping everything in sight. >>

Yup...I've done a lot of bargain shopping in the last 2 month on coins that were selling up to 50% more just 6 month ago.
    Not a good time to be selling & it has not improved as yet.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been doing well on the buying end.
  • Options
    It appears there are fewer buyers overall on Ebay but enough people looking for more expensive "better" coins while the average
    collector coins are lagging. There seems to be an overall economic unease out there among the general public and that is a contributing
    factor.

Ebay needs to attract more new collectors and first time buyers, I think however that that market segment is pretty well tapped out.
    In other words nearly everyone interested in buying on Ebay is probably already there.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    I have been doing just OK on Ebay.image
  • Options
    BarbercoinBarbercoin Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    I really only look for Barber Quarters. I haven't seen anything I've needed in quite a while.

WTB: Barber Quarters XF

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Nice coins do well, junk doesn't.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I have had to stop buying until sales pick up, too much backlog of inventory. With all the junk from the mint I have to believe that the average collector has already over spent their budget for coins just trying to keep up.
    On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to pick on you, seateddime, but I have seen the images of coins that you are selling on the BST. If these are a reflection of what you are offering on ebay, I can see why you might be set up for disappointment on ebay. Sorry to be unduly harsh, but that's how I see it.
  • Options
    No problems here....I just sold a 1904 circulated Indian cent for $3.25...a LOT more than I thought I would get.

Linkage to Indian Cent

And the others I had on there did very well....
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I sold my DUMP find" New in box" camera for $232image
    35 mm Film

Ebay is awesome
    Jim
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    My Dansco Commemorative Set >>>>>>(Shameless) Which will be ending in about an hour (Plug)<<<<<<<< is doing OK.

See for yourself!image

Shameless Plug
  • Options
    I window shop on Ebay quite a bit. Many coins that I tag for watching and possible bidding go for strong money (well above grey sheet). The vast majority go for fair value for what the coin is. Bargains seem to be few and far between. By a bargain, I mean a coin that I can buy off Ebay and believe I can turn around in a day on BST for a measurable profit. I don't see many coins going for that low a price.

ANACS holdered coins do seem to be edging down even more. This may be because of counterfeit slab concerns, confusion over a third new slab design in a year, lack of leadership at the company. Looks like the relaunch has been a bust, costing a lot of money, probably losing market share, confusing their customers. I'll still bid on ANACS holdered coins, but for expensive ones, I definitely consider how the market value is sliding away for this company. I regret buying some ANACS coins in the past, because they probably have gone down in value because of poor decisions during the past couple of years.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My Dansco Commemorative Set >>>>>>(Shameless) Which will be ending in about an hour (Plug)<<<<<<<< is doing OK.

See for yourself!image

Shameless Plug >>

Looks as if you are going to be bussy packaging stuff of for mailing this weekend.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    I sold a goodly number of Morgans in the last week and received more than I expected for the group.
    Proud recipient of YOU SUCK more than once and less than 100 times.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not Selling much just taking it one day at a time. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

<< <i>Nice coins do well, junk doesn't.

Russ, NCNE >>

I would normally agree with that but I have seen some nice coins go to cheap.

• Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Did you see what PF70 and MS70 PCGS First Strike Jeff Spouse's are going for? I agree, good stuff is selling for good money. Low end stuff is a dime a dozen.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice coins do well, junk doesn't.

Russ, NCNE >>

This is SOOOOO key! Even problem coins can do well if they are nice. Funky/ugly/gross ones, key or not, shouldn't be expected to do great.
    I looked at some of the coins listed as going so low......I wouldn't pay the price that was paid even.....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Constant indirect SPAM on this forum and you did bad? Others would get chastised completely off the forum. You did Okay!!!

Ken
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a big seller or buyer on ebay, but i've done resonably well on both ends of the market.
  • Options

<< <i>You have to be happy with $260 for a $50 coin.

Russ, NCNE >>

I'm thrilled!image

Bidding started at $50 and the toning made this ordinary coin extraordinary, hence the demand and hefty final price.

Speaking of hefty final price, 800.00 in E-Bay Fees, not to mention the 3% PayPal off of $17,000 if all buyers use that route!image
  • Options
    they were nice, I bid a few for you but no winners

• Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I just looked at one of your auctions, 1864 Seated Proof , I had to wonder, where is the description, adding all the previous auction results just thrown together is really not something I would want to read. I also saw where someone had to ask you what the grade was, why no picture of the slab, you mention it in the auction title but don't show the pictures. I have to say it's easy to spend the 15 cents for each extra picture compared to leaving hundreds of dollars on the table because you did not take the time.

As with the suggestions of the others it should be seen as constructive criticism. Do not assume collectors know what you are trying to sell or why they should buy it if you don't tell them.

My 2 cents

Tex
    On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options

<< <i>Constant indirect SPAM on this forum and you did bad? Others would get chastised completely off the forum. You did Okay!!!

Ken >>

Never seen so many whining threads, that all say the same thing.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    VTCoinsVTCoins Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭
    Seateddime,

I had esnipe bids in on some of your lots on eBay, and you ended the auctions early. I posted bids because you had complained about weak sales.

Awfully hard to sell coins if you end the auctions early!image
    Tim Puro
    Puro's Coins and Jewelry
    Rutland, VT

(802)773-3883

Link to my website www.vtcoins.com

Link to my eBay auctions

Buy, sell and trade all coins, US paper money, jewelry, diamonds and anything made of gold, silver or platinum.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Awfully hard to sell coins if you end the auctions early! >>

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭
    The market has followed the real estate bidders into hibernation, me thinks.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭✭
    I've gotten a few great deals this month with some purchases. Sorry to hear you are having bad luck. I learned last summer, not to sell common stuff in the summer. I save that stuff for the fall now. Last Fall, my common stuff did just fine.

But, as a buyuer and a seller (some times a seller that is), it all washes out about even for me. Some times I get a fantastic deal and some times, I sell something for less than I hoped.
  • Options

<< <i>I too have to agree with some of the previous posters, the stuff that Seateddime has listed on the BST looks like junk and if that reflects what he is selling on ebay then I can't blame low demand on ebay. I can only blame low end merchandise available for sale on ebay as the true problem. Sorry Seateddime to neg you, you have always been a standup guy but in this one particular case you are missing the boat. BTW I was thinking of pming you a while back to say why are you selling junk on the BST but I felt like it was none of my business, but now since you asked I thought it is. image >>

In all honesty I don't know where else to get rid of my "junk". I can not remember the last time I was at a show and offered a 1909 S VDB for under $500, when it goes off for $250 I know a few wholesale dealers who would pay more.

This weekend I purchased more money in coins than I could sell in a year on Ebay. 2 new top pop Seated Dimes, both MS67's and an unreal 1868 DCAM proof dime. My Seated Dime collection in #4 on NGC on it way to #3. I have a few coins I have not posted as they score 1 and would lower my score.

After trying to reduce my "junk" I have learned that Ebay may not be the best forum for MS and Proof Seated Coins as the prices are all over the board and as fall as the cheaper crap ebay is also hit or miss. The BST show little interest in Bust and Seated coin in low grade or problem free grade.

Where do you sell it?

• Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    I thought that the retail, collector market was a little slow for most of the month. It seems like things have started to pick up over the past week or two though.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In all honesty I don't know where else to get rid of my "junk" ...
    ...Where do you sell it? >>

You said it... Ebay... You take your chances, AND any complaints fall on deaf ears.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your pictures suck for one thing. Too dark and blurry. People do not want to spend time trying to figure out what the coins may look like.-Use only clear pictures.
    << Awfully hard to sell coins if you end the auctions early! >> It also lowers your profit potential as most auctions are won in the final seconds.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The buyers on eBay are getting more selective. Items that have both rarity and true collector demand are still doing well. Common and problem items are doing very poorly.

Pricing guides need to make sharp downward pricing adjustments on common date coins as they are presently very out of touch with the real market.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I window shop on Ebay quite a bit. Many coins that I tag for watching and possible bidding go for strong money (well above grey sheet). The vast majority go for fair value for what the coin is. Bargains seem to be few and far between. By a bargain, I mean a coin that I can buy off Ebay and believe I can turn around in a day on BST for a measurable profit. I don't see many coins going for that low a price.

ANACS holdered coins do seem to be edging down even more. This may be because of counterfeit slab concerns, confusion over a third new slab design in a year, lack of leadership at the company. Looks like the relaunch has been a bust, costing a lot of money, probably losing market share, confusing their customers. I'll still bid on ANACS holdered coins, but for expensive ones, I definitely consider how the market value is sliding away for this company. I regret buying some ANACS coins in the past, because they probably have gone down in value because of poor decisions during the past couple of years. >>

I am seeing fewer ANACS holdered coins at local shows than ever before. I used to see quite a few. At last year's fall MSNS show ANACS had a rep present. Unlike previous years, he wasn't a grader and wasn't helpful at all. Their clumsy holder launch and relaunch has also hurt them.

I have a group of coins which, in previous years, I would have sent into ANACS. I haven't done so this year because I don't think the market is placing much value on their holders anymore...at least not enough to justify the expense of slabbing.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    It's a zoo out there. Not to sure where it's going and do not like the mess. OK, nothing has changed. It's just like real life. image
    Prices on what I look for are going up! Thats not right!
    This is the last time I will ever do this again

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file