Options

George Washington Hair from Ginter on ebay

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Well at least it is straight!!
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    It was posted last night, but we can use a refresher.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    The question is, if this is # GW2, what is GW1?
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options

<< <i>The question is, if this is # GW2, what is GW1? >>

I think theres 3. From the sell sheet the other one had a different pic.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clearly says 1/1 on the back of the card.
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>Washington Washington >>

Thinking that was going to be somehow revelant, I watched it. lol Oh well.
  • Options

<< <i>Clearly says 1/1 on the back of the card. >>

Yeah, GW2 is a 1/1

GW1 is a 1/1

GW3 is a 1/1
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    There was an article or question and answer about these cards in the new Beckett. There are three cards each numbered 1/1 and the hair is from someone on Martha's (Washington) side of the family.
  • Options
    maybe we can buy it and clone a new president image
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I can't wait til next year- I hear A&G will be inserting cards with a dried up piece of Abraham Lincoln's scrotum sack.

Is it me or is this just getting more stupid by the minute?

Lee
  • Options
    jamesryanbelljamesryanbell Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can't wait til next year- I hear A&G will be inserting cards with a dried up piece of Abraham Lincoln's scrotum sack.

Is it me or is this just getting more stupid by the minute?

Lee >>

It's definitely "out there", but I don't think it's totally stupid. There's obviously a market for it, so..........

Well you get the idea. image
    -- Ryan Bell
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    it getting pretty stupid lee, fidel castrol auto lol,next year theyl prob have pol pot or idi amein,maybe a charles mason artifact just for kicks
    randy
  • Options
    TZAHLTZAHL Posts: 649 ✭✭
    Has anyone seen any articles or releases from Topps about how they can prove this is real?
    Trying to complete:
    2000 Bowman Chrome
    2002 Topps Heritage NAP
    2003 Topps Heritage chrome and seat relics
    2006 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2007 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2008 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2006 Topps Heritage and Topps Chrome football
  • Options
    JohnnyDJohnnyD Posts: 520 ✭✭
    I thought I read somewhere that you can not sell something on ebay that contains DNA...heck the title for the card even emphasizes the dna aspect...maybe I am wrong?
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NOTES: THIS IS THE ONE WE HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR, THE GEORGE WASHINGTON 1/1 HAIR RELIC, THIS IS ACTUAL HAIR NOT A WIG AND WAS ACQUIRED FROM HIS DAUGHTER THIS IS A TRULY AMAZING CARD AND SURE TO BE ONE OF THE MOST TALKED ABOUT COLLECTIBLES FOR YEARS TO COME, OWN A PIECE OF HISTORY FROM OUR FIRST PRESIDENT, THE VALUE IS PRICELESS, ULTRA RARE!!!

I'd say the chances of this being Washington's hair is about as close to zero as mathematically possible.
  • Options
    i havnt seen anything,, it could be hair they plucked from willie the wino or a cat for all i know, they can say anything they want and cover it up with a good story from the supposed family with some $,a scientific dna match to george from a lab in my peresence is the only way id believe it ,supposed t be some info on the the topps site about it ,so it says on the back of the card
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    "Acquired from his daughter"

Yep, lets see, his daughter had to have died in 1850 at the latest? Some dude had it for that long and they are applying the "mysterioius dude authentication theory" on it.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

So how much is PSA going to charge for this DNA test?? image
  • Options
    All I have to do is put my hand down my pants and I can pull a whole bunch of Lincoln beard hairs.

What's the infatuation with Lincoln's junk, you ask? I wish I had the answer for you.
  • Options
    All I have to do is put my hand down my pants and I can pull a whole bunch of Lincoln beard hairs.

Nice lingo, Lee!
  • Options
    maybe next year they can have Oprah's 1/1 curly ass hair.
  • Options
    maybe next year they can have Oprah's 1/1 curly ass hair.

Ugh.
  • Options
    QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    I have hair like that on my shower wall..I dont know how it gets up so high on the wall..Its not one of one..its one of many!!!
  • Options
    This thread is getting out of hand. I, for one, am offended.
  • Options

<< <i>NOTES: THIS IS THE ONE WE HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR, THE GEORGE WASHINGTON 1/1 HAIR RELIC, THIS IS ACTUAL HAIR NOT A WIG AND WAS ACQUIRED FROM HIS DAUGHTER THIS IS A TRULY AMAZING CARD AND SURE TO BE ONE OF THE MOST TALKED ABOUT COLLECTIBLES FOR YEARS TO COME, OWN A PIECE OF HISTORY FROM OUR FIRST PRESIDENT, THE VALUE IS PRICELESS, ULTRA RARE!!!

<< <i>

Geo never had any children, and his stepdaughter died when she was young.

Im going to have to go with Lees theory on where this one came from, Ron Jeremys back hair.
  • Options
    you imagine what this hair is from ned the wino or a cat is going to go for?lol-i think i would need some genetic proof,im not buying this story, i think it would be easier to get one of fidel castros hairs that it would washintons,whats next,one from king tut-"burierd with a donkey-hes my favorite honkey-king tut"-steve martin
  • Options
    In the new Beckett Topps says they rec'd it from a veteran hair collector who is in the Guiness Book of World records for his collection. Good enough for me. Im all in. See me? Im the high bidder.
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>you imagine what this hairfrom need the wino or a cat is gong to go for?lol-i think i would need some genetic proof,im not buying this story, i thinkiwould be easier to get one of fidel castros hairs that it would wasinhtons,what next,one from king tut-"burierd with a donkey-hes my favorite honkey-king tut"-steve martin >>

What you drinkin tonight Rube?
  • Options
    me and lee are hooting it up over this one! lol
    i guess if people collect 500,000$ bottles of beer,people collect hair
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭

<< <i>All I have to do is put my hand down my pants and I can pull a whole bunch of Lincoln beard hairs.

What's the infatuation with Lincoln's junk, you ask? I wish I had the answer for you. >>

I just cut off some of John Wilkes Booth's nose hair, wanna team up and make a sweet 1 of 1? image
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In the new Beckett Topps says they rec'd it from a veteran hair collector who is in the Guiness Book of World records for his collection. Good enough for me. Im all in. See me? Im the high bidder. >>

What makes a person a hair collector? I mean, at least I like baseball and football and that is why I collect sports cards and memorabilia. Someone with a hair fettish? Do they dig graves up to get hair of dead people? Man, that would be some wierd collection.
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    My apologies for attempting to add actual value and knowledge to this insightful discussion, but John Reznikoff (sp?) with University Archives and now with PSA / DNA is probably that Guiness record holder and collector of famous hair. There was a profile of him somewhere recently - he has hair from every US President or something like that in his collection.

I'm not sure how to prove it or exactly what the interest is, but just reporting what I know....
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    This is just distasteful. Capitalism showing it's ugly side. It's just disrespectful auctioning off a relic of someone so important in such a tacky manner.
  • Options
    Next month on Ebay i'm going to sell my used band aid collection as well as my nude photos of Mother Theresa (before she was Nun, she was a pole dancer) hopefully they will pay for my vacation image
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    couldn't they just run a DNA test on it to prove it was real? I am sure there are enough "verified" Washington organic samples to compare this to but it would cost alot of money.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>maybe next year they can have Oprah's 1/1 curly ass hair. >>

actually 1/1 would be a straight a$$ hair

mother Teresa was a pole-dancer, I had no idea she was Polish. You know what they did when the needed a new pope? They took a Pol(l)
  • Options
    jamesryanbelljamesryanbell Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is just distasteful. Capitalism showing it's ugly side. It's just disrespectful auctioning off a relic of someone so important in such a tacky manner. >>

What's tacky about it? No one's trashing George or stomping on his grave. People want the card, and think it's pretty cool (hence the high dollar bids).

I mean, I know it's "out there" and strange when it comes to cards, but I don't think it's irreverent or anything.

-- Ryan
    -- Ryan Bell
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This is just distasteful. Capitalism showing it's ugly side. It's just disrespectful auctioning off a relic of someone so important in such a tacky manner. >>

What's tacky about it? No one's trashing George or stomping on his grave. People want the card, and think it's pretty cool (hence the high dollar bids).

I mean, I know it's "out there" and strange when it comes to cards, but I don't think it's irreverent or anything.

-- Ryan >>

It's actually not all that weird. If you do a quick search on ebay, you'll see hair for Lincoln, JFK, Marilyn Monroe, etc. Washington hair has sold before, but it's usually in the hundreds. The only thing crazy here is the price.

I've never bought (nor do I intend to buy) anyone's hair, but have been intrigued by the auctions and watched them before.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I dunno. Granted, it's not anything that would get me incensed. I mean free enterprise is free enterprise. I just don't think it's very dignified given who George Washington is.
  • Options
    you think this is bad , look at the baseball bat style cut tooth 1/2 in 1/2 in, now its better lol
  • Options
    Reznivkoff has a lot in his collection but the Shigley collection was supposed to have had the most hair locks ever of famous people with thousands of different ones. Did Upper Deck get some of those from Shigley or his estate after he died? Shigley even had most of the old baseball great locks of hair, like Ruth, Gehrig etc.
  • Options
    Anyone know why ebay killed the auction?
  • Options
    Don't know why the other was pulled but here is the current

G-W Hair
    ---------------------------------------------
    Authorized wholesale dealer for BCW, if you need any supplies let me know and I will get you a quote
  • Options
    beats me,i thought it would be sold by now?prob question of authenticity or something, selling dna parts, ebay has so many stupid rules its hard to tell,looks like ebay pulled it for some reason as item# is no longer there, if guy selling it ended it at least the ifo would be there???
    randy
  • Options
    ebay pulled it.

Why is now the question. So many ways to get a auction pulled. I had one pulled as my auction contained an opinion. Uh all auction have opinions. I guess they didnt like mine that was a auction making people aware of the Ginter 1/1 sketch scam many were doing.

Seller could of easily posted something in there like that and then report himself so he can re-list it w/o paying initial fees and get more exposure. A backdoor plan.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    What do you think the hair would be worth if NOT in the 1/1 card? Probably get his whole pony tail!
  • Options
    All my relics/autos fronts have the "colored leafs" on the frame of the card in the upper left and lower right, and then reversed on the back.

This George Washington hair relic has the colored leafs in the upper right and lower left on the front and again on the back. Same position front and back? Unless thats only on the 1/1 relics, it's seems strange.
  • Options

<< <i>you think this is bad , look at the baseball bat style cut tooth 1/2 in 1/2 in, now its better lol >>

This one? image

• Options
    lol-nice bat card-wonder what the others 2 george relics are- cloth and autograph maybe?its not like george never signed anything, if topps had enuff $ to buy one,or get a nice butchered one like the teresa!