Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Man arrested for stealing gold coins from a blind person

How low can someone go?

TUALATIN, Ore. -- Tualatin police have arrested a man accused of stealing gold coins from his blind, elderly neighbor.

James Murphy, 44, was arrested after officers found four gold coins inside his home last week, police said.

Officers said he also stole prescription medication and jewelry from the 89-year-old woman, who reported $20,000 worth of gold coins had been stolen last Tuesday.

The jewelry has been recovered, but police are still working to recover 123 other gold coins. They are described as pre-1933 collectible European gold coins.

Murphy lives next door to the woman and police identified him as a suspect on the same day the theft was reported.

Murphy was arrested on charges of aggravated theft and booked into the Washington County Jail.

Comments

• Options
    What kind of Gold coins do you think they were?

Sovereigns? Ducats?

I agree, that is LOW. Slimeball.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    What a terrible guy. I hope the rest of the gold gets recovered
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I hope there's a special corner of Hell reserved for scumbags like this.
  • Options

<< <i>They are described as pre-1933 collectible European gold coins. >>

Hope she gets them back. The woman definetly has good taste when it comes to coins.
    Young Numismatist ............................ and growing!
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just your typical granny with a massive gold stash under her mattress......

• Options
    p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    They won't recover the coins. They were sold to a local gold dealer who then sold them to a customer. The dealer has "no records or method of contacting the buyer."
  • Options
    <<<I hope there's a special corner of Hell reserved for scumbags like this. >>>

If there isn't, there is no justice in this world.image
  • Options
    i can only surmise, that hell isnt a four corner room, there are many many corners just waiting to be filled
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    Let's see: 127 coins valued at $20,000.
    They average out to $157 apiece. Pretty lousy gold coins, or else very small.image
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Wouldn't it be funny if they found she had stolen the coins form some blind guy 50 years prior?
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, whatever the value, to steal from a blind, old lady, is really low... what a scumbag..... send him to prison and let it leak he is a child molester... I believe in hell on earth. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file