Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

IS the market for Haag's finally falling apart - or - with mint cancellations, will new demand be cr

7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
Is the market for Haag's finally falling apart - or - with mint cancellations, will new demand be created?

Comments

• Options
    I think as some of the next "hag" issues come out it will draw more interest in the series.
    I do believe the market has fell apart for now.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is the market for Haag's finally falling apart - or - with mint cancellations, will new demand be created? >>

I think it's holding up very well considering that there are over 300 listings, including 96 PCGS graded listings now on the bay. PCGS graded 69's are selling in the $625 to $680 range. Let the flippers have their turn first, I'll wait until after the dust settles & put mine up for auction.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    the market is getting soft......
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Is the market for Haag's finally falling apart - or - with mint cancellations, will new demand be created? >>

I think it's holding up very well considering that there are over 300 listings, including 96 PCGS graded listings now on the bay. PCGS graded 69's are selling in the $625 to $680 range. Let the flippers have their turn first, I'll wait until after the dust settles & put mine up for auction. >>

sometimes the hare does win the race and with these i think prices will soften and settle...he who flips first flips highest, with first spouse.

don't overestimate long term demand for these...JMO

with that said I am still waiting for my Abigail proofs, but they will be flipped from the box, or returned.

• Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    I think prices have ticked back up again.

I see raw pulling $650 - $700+.

Last week it was $600 - $650.

I think it bottomed and will continue up from here.

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I also feel they have bottomed out and am going to hold on to the five I have left.(all first strike 69's)
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I think it's holding up very well considering that there are over 300 listings, including 96 PCGS graded listings now on the bay. PCGS graded 69's are selling in the $625 to $680 range. Let the flippers have their turn first, I'll wait until after the dust settles & put mine up for auction. >>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The mint can't stop flippers any more than PCGS can stop doctors.
    I predict a latency period with flippers image
    We cannot mask who we are when we type our words.

These coins will eventually end up , no matter the cost, with TRUE COLLECTORS or NUMISMATIC DEALERS, and not with true capitalists. But , I like ya nonetheless, brothers ! Why ? Because we share our views here. image We tell the world the truth ! We are coin geeks.
    The MARKET can do what it wants. Coin collectors keep doing what their title implies image
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I think these will continue on a downward spiral.....

It seems the entire lot of these ended up in dealers/flippers hands and not collectors that wanted them for there collection.....

I don't think there are 20,000 collectors that want to pay the high prices for these.....

Near bullion issues down the line.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not yet - they were hawking them on TV last night. Richard Chambers talking about how they sold out at the mint in a couple of hours. All that was fact.

But then the hyping started - "buy them now - they are a sure winner!"

NGC MS 69's were $1200 - I changed the channel.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    they are done..... there really is no secondary market for them..... just all the guys who snapped em up to make a buck....
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    My son sold his raw (sealed in the box) MW Proof last night for $830. Maybe keeping them sealed is the key to higher prices.

Linky

Tim
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are flippers, investors and collectors. At least until people get burned out by the shear volumn of new issues and low mintages, the flippers appear to have the sure thing. For collectors like me, I think the series is interesting, so I'll get one of each as they come out to eventually have a set. This is the closest top Franklin Mint stuff the Mint has done up to now, but at least they're gold.

As far as investors are concerned, it all depends on where people scurrying around right now to forfend the sinking and sunk dollar, will try and hide their money. My guess about that is that they will rush to bullion and collectibles at least at some phases of this because of weak bonds, the wildly gyrating stock market, and the real estate bust, which looks like the real thing in most sectors. Investors can sell into those cycles, but there'll still be the question of where to hide/protect the cash.
  • Options
    have anyone seen the ngc population report for the First Spouses?..

They are giving 70's like candy, there are more 70 than 69 graded.

That's why i saw listings yesterday ending at high 600 and low 700 for NGC 70's...

There are just more 70's than 69...

now i see how can gainsvillecoins list more than 15 NGC 70 every single day. Every hour on ebay they have a listing ending for a NGC 70..
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    20,000 for the proof versions on the Martha and Abigail. 1/2 ounce of gold. The AGE proof ounce single issue sells out every year at 20,000. Who is buying these? And these are static each year. At least the spouses will change designs which is the only thing that is going for it. It won't be the obverses that may draw interest, but the reverses.
  • Options
    The difference being the 2007-W AGE sells for a small premium and only for a 70, 69's are a losing proposition. The premium on the First Spouses is unusual for a coin that was just released. It will be interesting to see how the market holds up. Either way, I plan on putting together two sets of the Proofs for the long term.
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, even Coin Vault seems to be dropping the price a bit. I think that one factor nobody has mentioned is there may come to be accumulation effect. That is since few will have all, more may want one or two and to they may eventually be looked at as a type, especially if there are equal mintages and only those with some extra appeal (like maybe the Jeffy) may bring a little more.

Let's see 40,000x40=1,600,000 coins!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    I will be collecting these also in raw and slabbed probably as 69's. This is the first time Martha had been placed on a coin with consideration in the past:Martha Washington Pattern Personally I prefer the profile versions rather than the frontal view that is on the gold spouse.
  • Options
    a beg to differ with you - not all people who buy these coins are collectors - some are investors and will buy a few just to speculate on . . . so I feel there's plenty of room for 20,000 of these coins to be collected as well as be used by people hoping to make a buck or two from them - just my opinion, but will be interesting to see how this whole scenario plays out - me, I have a few stashed away for a rainy day - you never know . . .
    currently putting together a EF/AU/BU 18th & 19th Century Type Set; and CC Morgan Set

just completed 3d tour to Iraq and retired after 28+ years in the US Army
  • Options

I agree with jimmymac. I have 10 Marthas which I'm not flipping, but keeping as an investment - I'm not collecting either (I dont have any Abigails). So there isn't only two camps - flippers and collectors - some people collect precious metals too even at a premium to spot if they like the design and think it adds value to the melt price.
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>a beg to differ with you - not all people who buy these coins are collectors - some are investors and will buy a few just to speculate on . . . so I feel there's plenty of room for 20,000 of these coins to be collected as well as be used by people hoping to make a buck or two from them - just my opinion, but will be interesting to see how this whole scenario plays out - me, I have a few stashed away for a rainy day - you never know . . . >>

I agree with this.

People buy gold. If they are going to buy a Buffalo or an Eagle. They might as well buy the spouses.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file